Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: No Automatic for me because:
Fuel-efficiency concerns 236 18.63%
I love Manual transmissions! 507 40.02%
AT option is unavailable on my choice of car (including diesels) 387 30.54%
I don't think the cost premium (75 - 100K) is worth it 210 16.57%
Maintenance concerns 150 11.84%
Other reason (please specify in your post) 36 2.84%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 287 22.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 10:29   #601
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 119
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
That makes you an auto box enthusiast.

You are almost sounding like MTs are unsafe and ATs are safer. I hope you realize it's the driver and not the car that avoids an accident. Drivers with AT can also cause serious accidents. A driver who has spent years driving MT and suddenly starts driving au auto shifter will not have the same reflexes, and may actually be a nuisance on the road till he has mastered AT, just like the other way round.

Maybe you have lost touch with MT? Because if want to get started on such topics I have no doubt you will be learning so many things with MT that are simply unimaginable with the AT. Try push starting an AT car, for starters.

While the modern auto may or may not be good or better or worse, there are some who 'prefer' MT, just like you may prefer AT. So you too need to be open and willing to accept that AT does not mean the best.
When in the mood to drive aggresively I really miss the MT (May be i am controversial) But thats not the point. Our country is no place to push your car for speed. There are either wide straight roads with lots of entry and exit points or narrow twisty roads. Only place where we are allowed to be ourself is in a race track and this is not accesible to everyone.

I was only saying the gap between a MT and an AT is getting closer and an AT can perform similar to a MT.

For majority of driving public who merely want to move from point A to B, AT does the job. For such a market AT is a safer option than MT. For many the reason not to buy an AT is price and mileage. if these two are addressed I guess people will move towards AT.

Again, i'm not against MT. I do love them but im comfortable in a AT and do miss the Manual box sometimes. But the benifits of an AT weighs down the pleasure of a MT. Im just being practical.

In my 12 years of driving experience, i have not got a chance to push start any cars, maybe will not in future also.

End of the day I love cars and live to drive.

Peace
varunanb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 10:31   #602
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 613
Thanked: 564 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Try push starting an AT car, for starters.
And you should not do that in an MT car too. Read your manual.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 10:32   #603
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 787
Thanked: 621 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You cannot push start an AT car

Do people seriously consider this as one of the reasons for not considering an AT?
One cannot push start a car like we do for Manual sometimes. But is it not possible to just push the car even if it is in neutral?


Like you said, that must be silliest of the reasons not to buy an AT car

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
For majority of driving public who merely want to move from point A to B, AT does the job. For such a market AT is a safer option than MT. For many the reason not to buy an AT is price and mileage. if these two are addressed I guess people will move towards AT.

Peace
+1. An AT with atleast 5 gears will do a world of good to 90% of the people who drive cars on the road today. Especially those who do it for a living. I am sure the cabbie would like to give his left leg/hand some rest while inching at 4kmph speed for 30 minutes

Last edited by SchumiFan : 11th June 2015 at 10:39.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 10:51   #604
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 119
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
.

But is it not possible to just push the car even if it is in neutral?

You can push the car in Neutral. You can also engage drive / reverse while pushing. What effect will it have on the gear box or will it start, im not aware as ive not had a chance to try it out.

Jump starting is a better option.
varunanb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 11:40   #605
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,528
Thanked: 5,545 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Regarding control, some of us like to have more control over when to upshift or downshift, while some of us would find it too much and let the car decide this matter. Just two different breeds, that's all. No need to offend or take offence.

Looking at the poll options it looks the majority simply like the MT!
Have you driven an AT extensively? The car does not really decide all that much on its own. A large amount of the automatics shifting can be controlled with the A pedal. Keep your foot on the gas and it will hold gear, if you think a gear is being held too long take your foot off the accel for half a second and it will shift up. While accelerating, remove your foot from the accel suddenly and the gearbox stays in gear and doesn't upshift.

A lot more is possible with newer automatics these days. Also the car decides better than most of us when to upshift or downshift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Also, there were few comments about a M/T will give you control of vehicle. Try taking a sharp right turn while changing gears. Atleast for me I lose control doing this maneuver.
That would possibly be because changing gears during a sharp turn isn't the best idea, because of the weight shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Maybe you have lost touch with MT? Because if want to get started on such topics I have no doubt you will be learning so many things with MT that are simply unimaginable with the AT. Try push starting an AT car, for starters.
Push starting modern MT cars is not recommended either. So please educate us on what all is possible in an MT car but not on an AT? Besides stalling that is

Guys I've got a 200+bhp petrol manual at home, along with a reasonable powerful diesel manual. And 2 200+bhp diesel autos, one with an older 6 speed and one with a new 8 speed.

I have to say that I really do enjoy the manuals, the slick shifts and all. BUT, to drive everyday I would take the automatics any day. The shifts are faster than I can ever shift. They have figured my driving style and stay in gear when I would in a manual and upshift when I would in a manual too.

For an everyday car, the convenience of an auto just cannot be beaten, especially with the newer autos which are very impressive.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th June 2015 at 11:42.
Akshay1234 is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 15:39   #606
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,185
Thanked: 5,788 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Even during that situation all I have to do is just press brake. In case of a M/T i have to press the brake, then clutch, if I do the opposite or do not engage clutch, the vehicle might go out of control, damage itself and the passengers. Auto box is also safer in such situations.
As you drive an auto, and not a manual, it is probably not particularly relevant to point out to you personally that you are wrong about this, and do not understand the correct brake/clutch usage in a manual-gear-box car.

Quote:
Try taking a sharp right turn while changing gears. Atleast for me I lose control doing this maneuver.
Again, there is a major misunderstanding here, and a dangerous one. Using clutch, gear, brakes whilst taking a sharp turn is very likely to end in disaster. I remember a colleague admitting that he never actually understood this until he learnt the lesson the hard way, writing off one of the company's cars.

All this brings to my mind one thing that an auto gearbox can (never? Google might change that!) do, and that is see the road ahead and adjust for the conditions. It is a big big axiom of skilled driving to be at the right speed and in the right gear before the hazzard or road feature.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 15:55   #607
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,899
Thanked: 1,785 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

I will definitely upgrade to an automatic when Tata releases an autobox or AMT transmission for the Storme. As is the gear ratios are so sorted that one can drive the car with very few gear changes...
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 17:03   #608
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 119
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As you drive an auto, and not a manual, it is probably not particularly relevant to point out to you personally that you are wrong about this, and do not understand the correct brake/clutch usage in a manual-gear-box car.
The right procedure is to brake first and when necessary clutch to be engaged and not the other way. I do not see what is wrong here. I do drive a manual frequently and enjoy driving as well.
Quote:
Again, there is a major misunderstanding here, and a dangerous one. Using clutch, gear, brakes whilst taking a sharp turn is very likely to end in disaster. I remember a colleague admitting that he never actually understood this until he learnt the lesson the hard way, writing off one of the company's cars.
It is not recomended to shift gears while turning, but very frequently I see people do this and end up in trouble. These are the people who drive for the sake of moving between places and driving ranks very low in their priorities unlike us. An AT might help them in driving comfortably without having to worry about gear changes and lot more.

I just took one random example of bad driving practices see everyday and did not say I drive like that.
My mistake, did not communicate the intended message properely.
Quote:
All this brings to my mind one thing that an auto gearbox can (never? Google might change that!) do, and that is see the road ahead and adjust for the conditions. It is a big big axiom of skilled driving to be at the right speed and in the right gear before the hazzard or road feature.
Probably Apple also
varunanb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 17:30   #609
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Banaglore
Posts: 217
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
.. For such a market AT is a safer option than MT.
Your conclusion that AT is safer for the general masses is specious.
A bad ignorant driver will be unsafe with an MT and even more so with an AT.
He will be even more ignorant about the car since the transmission in abstracted
to him.

I know a guy driving an AMT hitting guys behind him on ramp since
he thought an AT wont roll back. We have ATs like the one in the Toyota
fortuner which start coasting as soon as the driver lifts his/her foot from
the acceleartor. Hence providing no engine braking. You drive an AT fortuner
down a slope for a long time and you have serious chance of brake fade/failure
due to over heating. In the new AMTs introduced by tata/maruti you press
the accelerator down hard, nothing happens for a few seconds till the AMT wakes.
This can be very dangerous in certain situations
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 17:39   #610
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 516 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Will buy A/T now for sure.
Did not buy it in the Scorpio because it did not fit in well with the drivetrain systems.

Thar never had it. Nor did Etios Liva then.

My next car will be Toyota Fortuner 4WD A/T.

For some time I was suspect about Indian driving conditions, too much traffic frequent stops etc.

Now A/T systems are common they can cope with such situations. My reasons for not buying are over.

In fact one of my cars does have it already. A Mercedese E 350 but it is not driven much.

For thant matter I prefer A/T even off road. When pulling out people in the sand in an M/T the clutch can heat up and burn. In A/T there are less chances of AT oil heating up or burning.
But preference will be for A/T system with shift lock .
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 18:12   #611
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 231
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

I have never driven an AT, so can't comment on the experience. My reasons for not opting for AT are:
1. Expected high maintenance cost. (even for the latest DSG tech, heard people expressing concerns on reliability).
2. Resale value. This is a major concern for me as I am not sure how the value will be few years down the line. Things may improve as more people move to AT. Can somebody comment on the current situation with resale value of AT cars ?

But I am very much open to trying AT. In fact, planning to shop for a new car in next 6 months and Vento TDI DSG is one option I want to consider.
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 18:21   #612
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 108
Thanked: 132 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

I had an automatic 2012 Lancer ES that I used for over 2 years and was pretty content with it. It was convinient like hell during city traffic but had a very mechnical response during acceleration on open roads, It did lack excitement.

Hence i have voted for 'I love manual transmissions!'.

With that said, now being back in Mumbai - I do miss my lancer at times ( for the sheer convinience). But going by the stories of transmission failures in VW & Skoda - I am not ready yet to put my money on it yet.
Abhi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 19:02   #613
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 277
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Even I used to whine and cry about AT cars not having the human connect, not fit for a driving enthusiast and almost all the reasons mentioned in this thread.
But the real underlying fact and which I never liked to admit was
1. I was concerned about fuel efficiency
2. Concerned about maintenance
3. Didn't have a long term experience driving good ATs nor could I afford a good AT.

1 and 2 still stays, but point 3 changed after I drove AT cars for few months when I was out of country. Until then I was driving a 2.2 vtt Safari. Once I was back and started driving my Safari again, i realised what an AT is.
I was in denial until then. So now I drive a Cruze AT and looking forward to buy an SUV with a 'good AT' with 4x4.

I see a lot of people who is living in such denial around me. 99% will change their perception once they have a long term experience with AT cars. Just driving a friends or relatives AT car occasionally will not help. The rest 1% are the true enthusiasts who have frequent access to a race track and skilled to shift gears as fast as a modern AT. But even those 1% enthusiasts who can afford a good AT would still be driving that for city use.

Last edited by Holyghost : 11th June 2015 at 19:04.
Holyghost is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 16:49   #614
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Banaglore
Posts: 217
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Even I used to whine and cry about AT cars not having the human connect, not fit for a driving enthusiast and almost all the reasons mentioned in this thread...

..I see a lot of people who is living in such denial around me. 99% will change their perception once they have a long term experience with AT cars. Just driving a friends or relatives AT car occasionally will not help. The rest 1% are the true enthusiasts who have frequent access to a race track and skilled to shift gears as fast as a modern AT. But even those 1% enthusiasts who can afford a good AT would still be driving that for city use.
You rattle off numbers like 99% as though you are privy of peoples mind. Looks more like a projection bias rather than a scientific analysis. It is very easy to dismiss a different opinion as “dumb” or the guy is in “denial”. There are people who choose a MT over an AT, even after experiencing a good AT for a long time, because of a choice he/she makes and not because he/she is in “denial”.

While nobody can predict the future I may hazard a guess that while the number of ATs is likely to grow, the volume king will remain MT for a long time to come in India.

Realistically what is the quality of an AT can one get under 8L in India where most of the market is concentrated. When people say that modern AT as good as a MT they are invariably thinking of high end auto boxes. You are not going to get a Prosche PDK in your Maruti. Most likely an awkward AMT. With stricter safety norms coming into place soon in India (good thing), basic cost of the car is going to go even higher. I am not talking about the cost of an ABS or an airbag. But the structural reinforcements that have to be done to the car which cost money. This implies to meet the price point manufacturers will have use a very basic AT in the volume segment. Many wrongly assume that India will go the US way. It may not. Both markets are fundamentally very different. Also the growing B-town/rural market is ignored. This is the market which makes the Bolero the bestselling SUV in the country. I don’t thing that these guys care too much about an AT.

To everyone his own, but as I see it MT will be the transmission of choice in India for a long time to come.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2015 at 16:57. Reason: Removing unwanted spaces.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 17:08   #615
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 61
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

MT will remain dominant in years to come however the market share of AT cars will rise significantly over the next few years.You need to consider the following factors that are likely to be true in the next few years
- worsening traffic situations
- affordable and reliable ATs
- Improved FE in AT cars.The Jazz is one example where the AT is already more fuel efficient than the MT

I wouldn't be surprised if by 2025 AT cars match the sales of MT ones.
thehighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Santro Automatic to buy or not to buy? GeekSrik Hatchbacks 18 24th March 2012 15:27
why we don't see any agitation over MPs involvement in scandals vivekiny2k Shifting gears 3 22nd December 2005 17:07
Why foreign manufacturers don't sell small cars in India sbasak The Indian Car Scene 25 14th November 2005 08:41
Why I don't like Maruti? prkothan The Indian Car Scene 12 17th August 2005 21:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks