AT option is unavailable on my choice of car (including diesels) 387 30.54%
I don't think the cost premium (75 - 100K) is worth it 210 16.57%
Maintenance concerns 150 11.84%
Other reason (please specify in your post) 36 2.84%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 287 22.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th June 2015, 11:42   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As I get older (and lazier) I feel the need for an auto transmission.
I drive AutoTransmissions regularly abroad.
The next car I buy in India, I think, will be an AT for sure.
But the trouble is that I love the Yeti and unfortunately it is not yet available in AT.
If I change my Yeti I will probably consider another similar car, but with an AT.
Read that the next generation VW Tiguan is in the pipeline for India. That could be an ideal albeit lateral replacement of the Yeti. That most probably will have a DSG gearbox and a 7-seater option.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 14:58   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrish01 View Post
Aren't first & second gears provided in an AT for such situations? U can shift to second gears while descending on hilly terrain
Yes, but I'd agree that one uses brakes more when driving AT. As mentioned in previous posts, though, my experience is a little old, and does not include latest developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Dear Mr. Balan

I have always liked your sober and decent posts. You said older (and lazier). I would say (I am 48+ so I should know) AT becomes even more sensible (not that it was less considering our congested and unpredictable road/driving conditions)as you get more sedate on the road, your priorities change, income increases, and leg muscles are not the same as of a 25-30 year old.

Drive in stop and go traffic of Indian roads on a manual and AT and see the difference. That for me (and less fatigue) is the main reason I bought one AT in 2007 and another one yesterday. I bought an AT in 2007 when my monthly driving was 1800/pm. It is now 800-900/pm for 2 cars and so FE is even less of a factor now. Now both the cars in our ownership are AT and I plan now to keep it that way.
My mother drove her car, with manual gear box and without power steering, until just before her death at 89. It was only a little Micra, but I found the lack of power steering hard work until I got used to it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 18:56   #633
BHPian

During my school and college days, I too grew up with the notion that MT was the thing. When I started driving lessons in a beat up Premier Padmini, I started hating changing gears especially when in traffic.

More than 20 years back, I moved to the US before getting an Indian licence. I had to relearn and started to drive a variety of cars from a Subaru Legacy to a Ford Windstar before getting my first car, a Honda Accord. By now I was hooked to driving ATs and started enjoying driving.

Folks who advocate MT and stress on being in the right gear forget some things.

There are many things which make driving a car enjoyable and changing gears is but one of them. What use is a car with soggy suspension, weak or peaky engine, poor handling and such ?. A car with a torquey engine in fact reduces the need to change gears frequently.

Contrastingly, a AT car with adequate power, a good suspension, handling and good ergonomics will be far more enjoyable to drive.

For me, pushing the engine and trying to be in gear all the time is not the way to enjoy driving, I enjoy driving in a relaxed manner an an AT makes it better. There are more than one way to enjoy driving.

Back in India and I now own a Polo. Nice car but I dont enjoy driving it in our streets and MT is a big factor . Anyways It is mostly driven by a chauffeur. Lack of choices for my budget was a factor in not going for an AT.

As more people start getting out of the mileage mindset, Im sure the market will get tilted in favor of AT cars.
vivriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 20:32   #634
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I see a lot of people rightly stating how an automatic does more than enough. I am with everyone when they say that a manual is not a must and in most circumstances, an automatic is preferable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
There are many things which make driving a car enjoyable and changing gears is but one of them. What use is a car with soggy suspension, weak or peaky engine, poor handling and such ?. A car with a torquey engine in fact reduces the need to change gears frequently.

Contrastingly, a AT car with adequate power, a good suspension, handling and good ergonomics will be far more enjoyable to drive.
On the other hand, a similarly good car with adequate power, good suspension and a balanced chassis, would allow you to truly explore the limits of its capabilities with a manual transmission. A car with a weedy engine and soggy suspension would allow one to further explore its capabilities with a manual rather than an automatic.

At the end of the day, all I am saying is that it is in confidently sapping the most out of a car that one can truly draw great pleasure. I do also agree that this ought to ideally be restricted to the track and in capable well-trained hands (and feet). Thus I invite you all to spend some money and time learning how to push a car and dance on its limits on the track using rev-matching and a manual transmission. It is no point in claiming how you were naive in your younger years by believing manual was the way to go but have now had your eyes opened to the brilliance of an automatic. Instead, try living upto the expectations needed to enjoy a manual. Explore what it means to find nirvana as an automobile enthusiast instead of not even trying and then saying you don't see the pleasure in piloting a car on its limits. After all, with shifting market trends and focus on efficiency and convenience, these will probably be the last few years that you will be able to give yourself this gift

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th June 2015 at 20:33.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 01:06   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, I don't want to explore the limits of my car. I don't want to get anywhere even vaguely near them. Ever.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 05:03   #636
BHPian

Then by all means, please stick to AT cars! 👍

The fact is the level of connection one can have with extracting maximum performance (& joy, peace, nirvana,...) out of driving a car with MT is unparalleled.
aamateen46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 06:11   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your nice words. Im also hitting the mid 40's.
On account of my wife's posting in the US I go up and down quite regularly and absolutely love driving a variety of AT cars while Im there.
I grew up on MT cars and indeed, until recently was of the view that MT was always more fun.
However, given the increasing indisciplined and iniquitous traffic and road conditions here, especially the Start-Stop situation, I definitely am keen to switch to an AT sometime whenever I get tired of my Yeti.
Indeed, had the Yeti been available in its Top Spec AT variant when I bought mine, I would have stretched a bit and bought it.
Irrespective of what the puritans may say, the new gen AT's are almost every bit as responsive and fun to drive as the MT's. My friend in CT has and Audi S5 Sports Edition Convertible AT with a highly aggressive Sports Mode. That thing moves so quick, that it leaves you reeling from the G Forces.
The way to the future is "greater ease" in everything - thats exactly the point of being on top of the heap or on top of the food chain. AT is here to stay and Im converting whenever the time comes for me to change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Dear Mr. Balan

I have always liked your sober and decent posts. You said older (and lazier). I would say (I am 48+ so I should know) AT becomes even more sensible (not that it was less considering our congested and unpredictable road/driving conditions)as you get more sedate on the road, your priorities change, income increases, and leg muscles are not the same as of a 25-30 year old.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 09:17   #638
BHPian

Have been a die hard fan of MTs, until I test drove the Vento TSi DSG. The combination of DSG and Turbo petrol floored me completely. My family or myself have never owned a petrol car until now, but this car has me thinking again! May be my next car will be a turbo petrol dual clutch AT. Having said that, the conventional ATs just fall short of driving pleasure.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 15:15   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamateen46 View Post
Then by all means, please stick to AT cars! 👍

The fact is the level of connection one can have with extracting maximum performance (& joy, peace, nirvana,...) out of driving a car with MT is unparalleled.
That's how I feel about rowing, compared to any other method of propelling a small boat. The "level of connection" is even greater than sailing.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 16:27   #640
BHPian

Interesting Discussion.

I have nothing against automatic cars or the people who love them, but for me - its a manual anyday. Everytime I drive my cousin sister's Brio automatic or my friend's Polo TSi, my left leg is so restless cause it is aching to do something there..... My hands too sometimes.

Yes, automatics have come a long way since the olden days, but I still feel the pure pleasure of driving cars lies in shifting gears precisely. It also looks kinda cool (like the Fast & Furious movies)

On a serious note, for me personally, nothing feels better than pumping the clutch and popping gears while driving. I feel connected to the car. I also feel it gives me total control of the car. The fact that automatics cost more to buy, more to maintain, a dip in fuel efficiency are factors that don't matter to me at all. I would prefer a Manual anyday.

My next car will definitely be a manual transmission. (MT).
drhoneycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 16:44   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's how I feel about rowing, compared to any other method of propelling a small boat. The "level of connection" is even greater than sailing.

While this is off topic, not sure how relevant is this analogy with driving AT & MT cars! 😀
While a MT car can't match the sheer convenience of an AT car in daily driving in city traffic, its those moments while negotiating fast sweeping curves and hairpins through chorla ghat on the way to Goa where one can truly
aamateen46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 18:16   #642
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Of three cars we have one (the Ecosport) is AT while the other two Polo and WagonR are MT. My Polo is my daily drive though I find the ergonomics un comfortable. The purchase was done when I had to replace my Innova which had faced a major accident, and finances were not good enough for a costlier buy.
As of today I'm looking for a suitable replacement, a Diesel powered AT with high seating preferable with 7 seats.
So unless AT is launched in either Innova, XUV5oo, Safari Storm, Aria, etc I do not have a suitable vehicle in my budget.
Even stretching my budget a bit Rexton, and Fortuner both have higher floor and comparatively closer to the floor seats.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 18:50   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

I salute all the people who drive manuals in Metro cities these days during peak hour traffic. I have been driving the Delhi-Gurgaon route from last 1 month and the traffic is just crazy. Bumper to bumper for a good 34 kms. And even in the BMW, at the end of the journey my right knee starts paining with all the constant braking. God knows what will happen to my knees if I were to drive a manual through that chaos. I am only and only buying AT cars from now onwards, enthusiastic genes be damned!
drmohitg is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 19:37   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I salute all the people who drive manuals in Metro cities these days during peak hour traffic. I have been driving the Delhi-Gurgaon route from last 1 month and the traffic is just crazy. Bumper to bumper for a good 34 kms. And even in the BMW, at the end of the journey my right knee starts paining with all the constant braking. God knows what will happen to my knees if I were to drive a manual through that chaos. I am only and only buying AT cars from now onwards, enthusiastic genes be damned!
^^ This!

One of the reasons why we splurged on getting an Elantra AT in the family. My brother's daily commute is Indirapuram to Dwarka. He used to do it in our Honda City before we bought the Elantra. He still gets tired by the end of his day but is much better than City days.

I had to settle for MT for Ecosport primarily due to wait times but practicality rules over heart and I am definitely going for an AT on my next purchase.

Cheers,
Saurabh
TheDesertRat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 23:21   #645
BHPian

AT is more of a necessity in Metro cities now a days than luxury. I used to drive my Scorpio from JP nagar to Whitefield in Bangalore for a year before I developed knee and back pain and not to mention complete exhaustion by the time reach back home. I bought an AT Xcent last August and commute is not the highlight or rather low light of the day anymore. Time taken is the same but my body thanks me every day and I still have some energy left to play with my kid. Bless AT cars, now on It is only AT for me.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote