AT option is unavailable on my choice of car (including diesels) 387 30.54%
I don't think the cost premium (75 - 100K) is worth it 210 16.57%
Maintenance concerns 150 11.84%
Other reason (please specify in your post) 36 2.84%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 287 22.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st July 2015, 21:48   #661
BHPian

All those crying manual car gives fun. let me tell you one thing you have not driven a automatic car thats why. If you race on race track I can acknowledge that you miss heel toe in turbo cars. otherwise every automatic car is better than manual and can be put into manual mode using paddle shift or tip tronic etc. Simply because someone reviewing cars many years back told manual gives fun doesn't mean blindly till today it applies and people keep repeating what they saw in their childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
MT enthusiasts seem to have the idea that there is only one way to enjoy driving. It is like saying sprinting is the only way to enjoy while marathon, walking, jogging are all waste.

Many of us just enjoy driving our vehicles around relaxedly and also enjoy the sights or just the journey itself without bothering about optimum rpm.
In automatic most of the high end cars also reprogram themselves constantly based on city driving or highway driving for maximum efficiency. and also to overtake on highways most of the german and Japanese cars have kick down button useful for overtaking. and also an experienced driver can make the car shift when he wants even in older Auto cars by just using correct pressure on throttle.

Last edited by ampere : 1st July 2015 at 22:12. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Formatted the original post
lillios is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 22:32   #662
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Those saying MT is fun and AT boring, today we will be hard-pressed to find an MT car above 30 L. Even Ferraris/Lamborghinis/Aston Martins/Porsches are coming with ATs and AT only. No MT variants. Obviously, car makers know a thing or two which we do not. It's not like super car makers charge you crores and give you a fun-less car. If AT were that boring or lethargic or whatever, none of the super cars would have come with AT they are coming today with.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 22:48   #663
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere along this thread I believe instead of truly finding out why some of us prefer MT, the discussion is slowly getting downhill with members not particularly appreciating that some of us still prefer to use our left foot. I believe the reasons put forth for using a manual tranny were put forth because they were solicited, but the responses to these reasons make at least me think I shall keep my love of MT to myself - no disrespect to the ATs, but my heart will always yearn for a clutch pedal.

I am signing off from this thread. I believe (if I were to take the liberty of speaking for all the MT lovers here), we were asked why we still loved MT and we have tried to answer it. I personally do not see a point in debating over which is the best.
honeybee is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 09:17   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Somewhere along this thread I believe instead of truly finding out why some of us prefer MT, the discussion is slowly getting downhill with members not particularly appreciating that some of us still prefer to use our left foot. I believe the reasons put forth for using a manual tranny were put forth because they were solicited, but the responses to these reasons make at least me think I shall keep my love of MT to myself - no disrespect to the ATs, but my heart will always yearn for a clutch pedal.

I am signing off from this thread. I believe (if I were to take the liberty of speaking for all the MT lovers here), we were asked why we still loved MT and we have tried to answer it. I personally do not see a point in debating over which is the best.
Joining you in leaving this discussion. The "why" (which is the question in the poll title) part seems to be repeatedly ignored and ridiculed with 1) Not affordable 2) Ferrari/Posh cars comes with automatic 3) You have not driven AT 4) AT shift time is faster. This was never a debate, but lot of folks took offense and made it into one.

Well if it wasn't for the MT in the Esprit, Pretty Woman would not have met Richard Gere and lived happily ever after.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 09:34   #665
BHPian

Well, it did start with MT favoring people claiming 'connection'/'fun' which they 'supposedly' experience when driving one

However there is no right answer to this question as BHPian Thad mentioned a few pages ago. The problem is with one group not agreeing with the views of the other and running in circles over the same point for each kind of transmission.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:40   #666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillios View Post
All those crying manual car gives fun. let me tell you one thing you have not driven a automatic car thats why.
Oversimplification. MTs are awesome fun to drive- give me a fast twisty road and a high-revving engine with a stick shift anyday over any automatic. But one has to be practical- this is where automatics make most sense. And to suggest that people commenting in this thread have never driven automatics (check who the thread starter is ) is bordering on ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Those saying MT is fun and AT boring, today we will be hard-pressed to find an MT car above 30 L. Even Ferraris/Lamborghinis/Aston Martins/Porsches are coming with ATs and AT only. No MT variants. Obviously, car makers know a thing or two which we do not.
That's an economic decision taken more from the point of view that ATs are perceived as premium than anything else. You get MT Porsches in the US, for instance, but not in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Somewhere along this thread I believe instead of truly finding out why some of us prefer MT, the discussion is slowly getting downhill with members not particularly appreciating that some of us still prefer to use our left foot.
Absolutely agree. It's turning into a silly slanging match between slushbox lovers and haters, which is not the intent of the thread. Go back and read the opening post, people! The question was: given that less than 1% of new cars sold in non-luxury segments are automatics, what is it that prevents people from choosing an AT?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
Joining you in leaving this discussion. The "why" (which is the question in the poll title) part seems to be repeatedly ignored and ridiculed with 1) Not affordable 2) Ferrari/Posh cars comes with automatic 3) You have not driven AT 4) AT shift time is faster. This was never a debate, but lot of folks took offense and made it into one.
Oh come on! How will leaving a discussion help anybody? Stay- and help people understand why it is you haven't bought an AT (yet). For all you know, there may be industry decision makers keenly watching this thread for some consumer insights for their next launch!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:59   #667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Oversimplification. MTs are awesome fun to drive- give me a fast twisty road and a high-revving engine with a stick shift anyday over any automatic. But one has to be practical- this is where automatics make most sense. And to suggest that people commenting in this thread have never driven automatics (check who the thread starter is ) is bordering on ridiculous!
For me its very clear:

- Distance traveled per day is high.
- Efficient AT options not available for primary car requirements
- But I still need the AT for countering the city traffic.
- So I always will keep a small AT hatch for that purpose as a second car
- While I get an efficient manual for the primary mile crunching requirements
- In nutshell if there was an efficient AT option today available for the primary vehicle I would have taken.

As an example: Would I consider Creta AT diesel as a replacement for my Duster?
- Probably. But will wait to see real world examples on mileage
- Maintenance concerns if there are any. (Hopefully should not be)
- Basically to summarize I will consider the AT for the primary vehicle.
- At the same time, will always have an AT hatch as a second car at home.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2015 at 07:26.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:00   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Oh come on! How will leaving a discussion help anybody? Stay- and help people understand why it is you haven't bought an AT (yet). For all you know, there may be industry decision makers keenly watching this thread for some consumer insights for their next launch!
+1.

People do watch great forum like us keenly and it is up to us to continue the discussions and keep important threads alive. This forum is where Ive seen honest and brilliant replies.

Yes, this will help the designers or engineers to get a direct feedback than relying on the market surveys done by a different team.
varunanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:45   #669
BHPian

Quote:
<snip>
Thanks Noop!
But I have given the reasons a long while ago and that doesn't change. Limbs and joints are still strong, instincts rule (gear selection and clutch usage comes without any conscious efforts- not a distraction to driving) and I love the growl of the engine on a vicious downshift.
Post #399 (So, why don't you buy an Automatic?)
Post #436 (So, why don't you buy an Automatic?)
Post #461 (So, why don't you buy an Automatic?)

If designers are watching this thread, can you guys please consider placing the shift stick on the steering column like in the old days of the Padmini? Just one variant would suffice, just a thought.
sun_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:11   #670
BHPian

I love automatics. I used to live in Bangkok and everything was automatic there. Now since 2 years, I am driving a manual here and it is just a matter of getting habituated. Though, I did take a friend's Octavia DSG for a spin recently and then I remembered again on what I am missing out on. Next car definitely will be a automatic for me.

BTW growl of engine can be had on a automatic car too with tiptronic or manual mode. trust me, i had the octavia in triptronic mode and downshifts were fast and yet sounding epic. So on that front, I did not miss a manual.
kisharchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:47   #671
BHPian

Given a choice of the right kind of AT (DSG/TCSS/AMT), in my choice of engine (Diesel) and car (Jazz/S-Cross/Ecosport/Creta), I for one would happily choose one over a traditional stick shift.

Imagining the surmounting traffic situation, and knowing fully well it's only headed upwards, here's my wishlist ...

1.5L CVT Jazz
1.5L TDi Twin-Clutch EcoSport
1.3L TCSS S-Cross

If only wishes were horses

Last edited by pannags : 2nd July 2015 at 21:48. Reason: typo
pannags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 22:03   #672
BHPian

Lets accept one truth - Technology has married automobiles and their relationship is going strong.
As I see it with reference to the captioned topic, Automobile industry has progressed in one sense of taking away the skill from a driver. Automations began from gears, to today's park assist. The day of driver less cars becoming a reality is not very far away.
Automation happened in many aspects of a car. Manual transmission gave a feel of 'I take control' feel to the driver. That feeling is good, no doubt; but in a place like india, the automatic gear shifts bring relief to many.
Now, looking at other components that are becoming more and more automated, one example is auto braking basis few sensors. One will argue few years later ( I am sure there will be a poll as well) as to how they loved manual braking.

Automobile industry I believe is in the hyper competition space, with every manufacture wanting to be a step ahead from others with technology.

Last edited by Accent Martin : 2nd July 2015 at 22:18.
Accent Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 23:14   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's an economic decision taken more from the point of view that ATs are perceived as premium than anything else. You get MT Porsches in the US, for instance, but not in India.
I'm not sure what you mean here by economic decision? You mean AT is cheaper than MT? I thought it is other way around. Would you mind shedding some light for the benefit of all? In any case, AT is not cheaper than MT in India at least. So, not sure what prevented Porsche from launching MT in India and pricing it a little lower.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 00:29   #674
BHPian

Personal experience after migrating to an automatic DSG - Sharp U turn in first gear or clambering over speed bumps stupidly positioned at a signal (on green!), the automatic lets you have have a really quick getaway without making your passengers feel the lurch (which would accompany aggressive shifts especially from low gears). I experience these conditions more than the odd ghat road in real world terms.
GeeTee TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 00:47   #675
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here by economic decision? You mean AT is cheaper than MT? I thought it is other way around. Would you mind shedding some light for the benefit of all? In any case, AT is not cheaper than MT in India at least.
I think he meant offering both transmissions would be economically nonviable. Luxury cars get automatic transmissions because it is perceived to be more premium and hypercars get automatics because to set lap records in those machines, you really don't get the time to focus on rev-matching, weight transfer etc. plus those cars come with tech that takes care of all that for you anyway

Quote:
So, not sure what prevented Porsche from launching MT in India and pricing it a little lower.
Well after trying to have a reasonable discussion on this thread only to be put down by several members, I would wager that that is because of folks like you who cannot and simply will not/refuse to appreciate the existence or understand the benefits of a manual transmission
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote