Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th July 2006, 22:05   #46
BHPian

I do believe the increased cost has to do with the duties/levies that the govt charges on CBUs.
HentaiDesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 10:47   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The on-road price in Mumbai is about 25 lakhs.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 10:51   #48
BHPian

Its selling in pityful numbers here. So far I know of just 2 camrys - one owned by the toyota dealer himself and the other by a large textile chain.

This is not the case here normally. Any new flashy car is lapped up at launch itself. I see more merc e classes than the new camrys.
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 12:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

Centro-P,
On road price is 28L for the Camry if you buy it with Mumbai Company reg. which many of the owners will opt for.
For 3 - 4L extra one can get the fully loaded C Class here in Mumbai or the Audi A4.
Hence one would prefer to either buy the Merc or the Audi or stick to the Accord/Superb/Sonata range.

Harrie,
i have seen quite a few Camrys here in Mumbai but the numbers of new Accord and Mercs still out number it.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 02:50   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Centro-P,
On road price is 28L for the Camry if you buy it with Mumbai Company reg. which many of the owners will opt for.
For 3 - 4L extra one can get the fully loaded C Class here in Mumbai or the Audi A4.
Hence one would prefer to either buy the Merc or the Audi or stick to the Accord/Superb/Sonata range.

Harrie,
i have seen quite a few Camrys here in Mumbai but the numbers of new Accord and Mercs still out number it.
Pricisely why one would get the Camry...coz the Accord is too common and so is the C-class,which doesnt give half the features that the Camry or Superb have to offer.
The Camry has a 3 month waiting period so obviously most people think differntly of either getting an accord or a c-class.
The Camry and to an extent the Superb fill in the much needed gap and VFM factor in the indian automotive sector.

Last edited by Sahil : 26th July 2006 at 02:52.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 03:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's almost double the price they have here in Canada. Rs 21 lacs = Cad $52,500 = Fully loaded BMW 3-Series
And lets not forget we are talking about the 4 cylinder variant for that price!
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 08:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Pricisely why one would get the Camry...coz the Accord is too common and so is the C-class,which doesnt give half the features that the Camry or Superb have to offer.
Exactly. So in the end, you'll be having an exclusive car, that is produced by one of the best companies in the world AND that offers good quality and features, which not many people own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
And lets not forget we are talking about the 4 cylinder variant for that price!
except for this.....
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 10:02   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so is the C-class,which doesnt give half the features that the Camry or Superb have to offer.
What features do the Camry and Superb have, which the C Class does not offer?

GTO
Old 26th July 2006, 11:49   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
What features do the Camry and Superb have, which the C Class does not offer?

GTO
Xenon,headlamp washers,MP3,more BHP,8 way adjustable seats and 215 tyres : ...Dont get me wrong, i am not comparing feature by feature. On the whole package, the Camry seems more VFM compared to the C because it is far more comfortable and spacious. You feel satisfied on the whole imo. My biggest problem with Mercedes is that their cars, ofcourse besides the S ,are too cramped!
As you know i have owned the C-class but after sitting in the Camry i realised that all that money i spent on my previous car was JUST for that 3 pointer star when this car makes me feel like my money is well spent.Prime reason being that it has everything and maybe more than my C for a good 5 lakhs less.

Last edited by Sahil : 26th July 2006 at 11:59.
Old 26th July 2006, 12:52   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, the C Class also has the sun roof, RWD, better braking / handling and a CDI engine...among others. I wouldnt compare it to the C Class' that we both have previously owned. I was as disappointed with the C180 as you are.

But the C220 is seriously something else. It has fabulous interiors, various upgrades.....and a to-die-for engine. I have covered 20,000 kms with not a single problem save for a plastic cable clip that broke and was replaced within 10 minutes.

GTO
Old 26th July 2006, 14:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Well, the C Class also has the sun roof, RWD, better braking / handling and a CDI engine...among others. I wouldnt compare it to the C Class' that we both have previously owned. I was as disappointed with the C180 as you are.

But the C220 is seriously something else. It has fabulous interiors, various upgrades.....and a to-die-for engine. I have covered 20,000 kms with not a single problem save for a plastic cable clip that broke and was replaced within 10 minutes.

GTO
Good to know that your car is doing well which is suprising compared to the our previous lot, after which i lost faith in the C-class and MB too.
Are you trying to confuse me more on my purchase?
Old 26th July 2006, 15:05   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good to know that your car is doing well which is suprising compared to the our previous lot, after which i lost faith in the C-class and MB too.
You in Bombay? If you want to drive it, just send me a PM.

As weird as it may sound, I still have my fingers crossed on long-term reliability. Its not easy to forget the nightmares of the previous C.

GTO
Old 26th July 2006, 16:46   #58
BHPian

This car has such a nice stance. I love this car, though I am not such a Toyoya fan.
RacingForIndia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 19:03   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

The C-220D is really a driver's car with that stormin engine and RWD. For being chauffer driven, the Superb or Camry would be preferable.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 22:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

i've seen the camry a couple of months back... the lanson toyota showroom is just opposite to my apartment... ifelt that the car had a mean machine look to it...far far better look than its previous versions, at least from the front & side...not too sure about the rear...looks like corolla's butt grown bigger...
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote