Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 01:16   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/MAA
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 194 Times
Default re: Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing

I spied the Picanto test car again in Chennai , saturday afternoon so i'm sure this car definitely slated for sale , though i'm not sure what badge it will wear. The i-10 looks like a dowdy old maid in comparison to the Picanto.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 01:52   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: India>Chennai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Scoop: a small car

Dear Bhpians..

I saw this car yesterday night near Anna Arch. Does anyone know which car it is.?
It was green with tiger stripe kind of vinyl.
Sorry for the bad picture quality.
I was not able to click the front view since there was too much traffic.
Attached Images
         

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th October 2012 at 02:25.
Cyberpirate is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 03:08   #48
BHPian
 
RohitD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 49
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Scoop: a small car

This surely seems like the next gen Kia Picanto / the next hyundai i10
I guess many parts would be shared between the two cars.
RohitD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 05:46   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 83
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Scoop: a small car

For me too, it seems to be Hyundai's effort to bring Kia Picanto as a replacement for i10. If you observe the side profile of Kia Picanto , its similar to the pictures shown. I really started admiring Kia Optima after driving it for more than 1300 Kms.
Attached Images
 
aeroamit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 09:35   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: India>Chennai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I think it is similar to the picture posted by aeroamit. My car was jus taken from the repair shed and the horn wires were not connected. Which I realized after seeing this car. As I wanted to pass through the traffic. Once the driver saw me clicking he started moving through traffic using his small car brain.
Cyberpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 10:02   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,749
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Scoop: a small car

TN 09 TC 0029 indeed is the Picanto - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2834065
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 10:55   #52
BHPian
 
Octane_Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 626
Thanked: 400 Times
Default Re: Scoop: a small car

Hints at being a Hyundai definitely.
From how much I can see the tail lights, they look similar to the new gen i20's. Its not and i20 but Hyundai must have taken the design cues from it apparently.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 11:48   #53
BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Scoop: a small car

Replace i10 with the Kia Picanto? Why on earth??

i10's problem is only its pricing. Nothing else is wrong with it.. Not even mileage (unless you are expecting 15+, that is)..
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 12:56   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default Re: Scoop: a small car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Replace i10 with the Kia Picanto? Why on earth??
There isn't much difference between the two, really. Skin deep, they're pretty much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
i10's problem is only its pricing. Nothing else is wrong with it.. Not even mileage (unless you are expecting 15+, that is)..
And even then it has managed to outsell its chief competitor, the Brio, by quite a margin!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 15:30   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,043
Thanked: 472 Times
Default Re: Scoop: a small car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
i10's problem is only its pricing.
Mileage, Hyundai's increasing service costs, and extremely bumpy suspension to name a few.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 15:51   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default Re: Scoop: a small car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Mileage, Hyundai's increasing service costs, and extremely bumpy suspension to name a few.
You don't own a Hyundai... isn't that true. How do you have experience of bad mileage? I have never got anything below 14 (with AC) in Delhi NCR & 19 on highway on normal petrol. These days on CNG, I get 22-23 (after deducting approximate distance traveled on petrol) & 30+ on highway.

Regarding the bumpy suspension, I can confirm that is not acceptable (after owning one for 9+ years), but, is by no way extremely bumpy... & it is only the rear which is more bouncy when you drive over speed-breakers, but is definitely soft & comfortable (despite the rear bench) when you go slow over bad roads.

BTW there is a member from NCR, who owns few cars, including Hyundai & he has confirmed that his 1.1L Hyundai is as good as the other 1.1L older car.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 16:58   #57
999
BHPian
 
999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 227
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Scoop: a small car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
You don't own a Hyundai... isn't that true. How do you have experience of bad mileage? I have never got anything below 14 (with AC) in Delhi NCR & 19 on highway on normal petrol. These days on CNG, I get 22-23 (after deducting approximate distance traveled on petrol) & 30+ on highway.

Regarding the bumpy suspension, I can confirm that is not acceptable (after owning one for 9+ years), but, is by no way extremely bumpy... & it is only the rear which is more bouncy when you drive over speed-breakers, but is definitely soft & comfortable (despite the rear bench) when you go slow over bad roads.

BTW there is a member from NCR, who owns few cars, including Hyundai & he has confirmed that his 1.1L Hyundai is as good as the other 1.1L older car.
I have a 2 month old i10 AT. I tend to agree with the fact tha i10 is a bumpy ride. I would take my Alto any day on the highway than the i10. For me my Alto is a better handler than an i10. Alto is on Turanza by the way.

Last edited by 999 : 13th October 2012 at 17:02.
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 23:33   #58
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default re: Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing

CARDEEP

I own a Hyundai. It's a 2003 Santro Xing 1.1 that has done 47k on the odo. It's terrible in terms of ride. You feel anything and everything on the road. And it doesn't soak up any of the bad patches. I feel it's the worst ride for a car in India. The i10 was no less. I've spent a considerable amount of time with one and it feels like a plusher Santro. And maybe the ride quality was better but only slightly.

Regarding mileage and service costs, I get 10 to the liter with the AC on 70% of the time and only in city-traffic. Also, I spend 10k-12k in a year on service. That is more than my two Hondas (Civic and Jazz) put together in a year. Believe it!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 09:37   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Anand, Gujarat / Virginia Beach, US
Posts: 459
Thanked: 177 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
CARDEEP

Regarding mileage and service costs, I get 10 to the liter with the AC on 70% of the time and only in city-traffic. Also, I spend 10k-12k in a year on service. That is more than my two Hondas (Civic and Jazz) put together in a year. Believe it!
Completely agreed with you. As I have mentioned on other threads as well, my Mom's Santro with puny 1.1 L engine used to give no more than 9 - 10 KPL with 100% AC where as Corolla with much bigger engine and heavier body gives 12+ consistently. Maintenance cost of Santro was also higher than Corolla. We replaced the Santro with i20 AT for mom some months ago, and believe me, it gives only 8 KPL. Only reason we went to i20 was AT availability which no others were/are offering in the segment, otherwise big no for Hyundai.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 14th October 2012 at 09:39.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 11:06   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default re: Scoop! Kia Picanto spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
I have a 2 month old i10 AT. I tend to agree with the fact tha i10 is a bumpy ride. I would take my Alto any day on the highway than the i10. For me my Alto is a better handler than an i10. Alto is on Turanza by the way.
I haven't denied that the ride is bumpy, by the usage of extremely is an exaggeration. Alto is (no doubt) a better handler than i10 or Santro because of the low height, but are you sure you get as much space as a Santro/ Wagor-R/ Spark/ i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
CARDEEP

I own a Hyundai. It's a 2003 Santro Xing 1.1 that has done 47k on the odo. It's terrible in terms of ride. You feel anything and everything on the road. And it doesn't soak up any of the bad patches. I feel it's the worst ride for a car in India. The i10 was no less. I've spent a considerable amount of time with one and it feels like a plusher Santro. And maybe the ride quality was better but only slightly.

Regarding mileage and service costs, I get 10 to the liter with the AC on 70% of the time and only in city-traffic. Also, I spend 10k-12k in a year on service. That is more than my two Hondas (Civic and Jazz) put together in a year. Believe it!
Suhaas, with all due respect to your cars ownership, I would suggest that you should enter the bad patch at decreasing speeds rather than at constant slow speed (based on my experience on the 1 km long very bad patch that I encounter daily... & it was more than 2 kms till few days back), & accelerate gradually once the rear has crossed that patch.

Regarding low mileage, please refer to Sidindica's thread, where in once of the posts, he has reported around 20 kmpl in Delhi traffic. I would say that I used to get the figures of 14+ (with AC... sans tints) in Delhi summers because I used to ride the low end torque. Another cousin of mine who owns a Santro Xing faced the same problem (graduating from rev-friendly car Zen) initially, but, his problem was solved when he was taught the correct procedure by our uncle who runs a Taxi business.

I admit, you are more experienced as compared to me in terms of cars ownership, & probably much better driver than me, but I am sure, I am not amongst those minority people who own a Hyundai, & get acceptable mileage (especially in my family & friends).

Hyundai's service costs are a concern, but, you can be careful when the SA advises useless add-ons & reject those. Moreover, ever since warranty of my car got over, I take the car to reliable mechanic near my office, except on 20K intervals (40K & 60K). THis has helped me avoid paying more than Rs.3500 every time despite switching over to Castrol Magnatec.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 15th October 2012 at 11:11.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15 sarthakgupta The Indian Car Scene 441 25th April 2013 12:26
New Kia Picanto - will it be New i10?? chinmay22 The International Automotive Scene 2 9th December 2010 11:46
Pic : Oddball Kia Opirus spotted v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 17 13th September 2008 00:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks