Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 01:27   #46
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 421
Thanked: 154 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Heck, the AWD (after discounts) costs about the same as the 4x2 variant.

That said, and keeping the funny looks aside, the Yeti AWD is one heck of an SUV. Simply amazing quality, engine, ride & handling. It makes for a pretty good deal with the discounts on offer.

Price (properly) or Perish. The market says it out loud.
Does Skoda offer all year round discounts for the Yeti? Getting the 4x4 Ambition Yeti at the price of the 4x2 Ambition sounds tempting! Because I believe that the Yeti is much bigger in person than in pictures and it is that much more practical, making it an all rounder!
I will probably booking a new vehicle in May 2012. Will I be able to get some nice discounts then?

Last edited by DeKay : 26th November 2011 at 01:28.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 09:28   #47
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,839
Thanked: 7,848 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Does Skoda offer all year round discounts for the Yeti? Getting the 4x4 Ambition Yeti at the price of the 4x2 Ambition sounds tempting! Because I believe that the Yeti is much bigger in person than in pictures and it is that much more practical, making it an all rounder!
I will probably booking a new vehicle in May 2012. Will I be able to get some nice discounts then?
Its not Skoda, but the dealers who are offering the discounts. Looking at the overall response to the vehicle, my take is that the discounts are here to stay, unless Skoda itself repositions/reprices the car.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 16:22   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,194
Thanked: 1,668 Times
Default

Another way to see it is that if you are able to get similar discounts on the 4x2 active variants, you just might be able to get it at 12.2 ex- showroom, which is good value!
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 16:31   #49
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,901
Thanked: 9,076 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Another way to see it is that if you are able to get similar discounts on the 4x2 active variants, you just might be able to get it at 12.2 ex- showroom, which is good value!
Very good point of view. Let us see if that becomes an eventuality.
The only question now is what is the cost of maintenance of Yeti against the XUV and similar brands.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 16:45   #50
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,917
Thanked: 4,621 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only question now is what is the cost of maintenance of Yeti against the XUV and similar brands.
I think thatís where I disagree a bit. XUV is a great package, and being a large SUV/Crossover, it should be compared with the likes of say, Tata Aria. Yeti is a small, but brilliant package with sedan like driving dynamics. IMHO, on the size and utility point, the only car (in our market) which can be compared with the Yeti 4x2 is the X1.

But then, I have not seen anyone comparing an X1 with a XUV
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 17:04   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,481
Thanked: 2,024 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

If this is a move by Skoda to counteract the threat from Mahindra's XUV 5oo, oops I'm afraid it ain't going to help. It is still pricey compared to the XUV 5oo, and the only thing that could help Skoda is Mahindra closing the XUV's bookings due t overwhelming response by the buyers only
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 18:05   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,343 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

the X1 is basically a 3 series on stilts. frankly all it has is the snob value of the BMW badge. Ive sat in it and find the rear to be a tight squeeze. Also its sloping roof irritates me because I dont get enough head room.
I dont like the fact that there is no 4WD. I also dont like the fact that the more affordable variants are petrol driven.
Its a reasonably good looking car otherwise, but is certainly NOT for the likes of me! Hence I would never consider it as a potential buy even if I felt like affording it. To me the Yeti offers immensely more value than the X1. The only drawback in the Yeti is its lesser luggage space than say the Tucson and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
IMHO, on the size and utility point, the only car (in our market) which can be compared with the Yeti 4x2 is the X1.

But then, I have not seen anyone comparing an X1 with a XUV
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 18:19   #53
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 421
Thanked: 154 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Another way to see it is that if you are able to get similar discounts on the 4x2 active variants, you just might be able to get it at 12.2 ex- showroom, which is good value!
Well, yes I have thought about this too, but then the 110bhp engine feels just too under powered when compared to the brilliant 140bhp. Plus, 4WD is always welcome!
But again, I haven't driven the 2wd yeti yet. Let's hope the reviews start coming in soon!
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 18:31   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,106
Thanked: 432 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think thatís where I disagree a bit. XUV is a great package, and being a large SUV/Crossover, it should be compared with the likes of say, Tata Aria. Yeti is a small, but brilliant package with sedan like driving dynamics. IMHO, on the size and utility point, the only car (in our market) which can be compared with the Yeti 4x2 is the X1.

But then, I have not seen anyone comparing an X1 with a XUV
+1 , O totally agree with you too. The Yeti should be compared with only the X1 as they both seem to be built for the same purpose.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 20:04   #55
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,917
Thanked: 4,621 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The X1 is basically a 3 series on stilts. frankly all it has is the snob value of the BMW badge. Ive sat in it and find the rear to be a tight squeeze. Also its sloping roof irritates me because I dont get enough head room.
I dont like the fact that there is no 4WD. I also dont like the fact that the more affordable variants are petrol driven.
Its a reasonably good looking car otherwise, but is certainly NOT for the likes of me! Hence I would never consider it as a potential buy even if I felt like affording it. To me the Yeti offers immensely more value than the X1. The only drawback in the Yeti is its lesser luggage space than say the Tucson and so on.
Well, I agree with your points and in my comment I specifically mentioned the 4x2 Yeti because the xDrive is not available in the Indian X1 yet. Fit and quality-wise I feel the Yeti is closer to the BMW than a M&M. Even internationally, the Yeti is often compared with the likes of X1, Mini Countryman etc., and mostly come up as the winner.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 00:53   #56
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,901
Thanked: 9,076 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think that’s where I disagree a bit. XUV is a great package, and being a large SUV/Crossover, it should be compared with the likes of say, Tata Aria. Yeti is a small, but brilliant package with sedan like driving dynamics. IMHO, on the size and utility point, the only car (in our market) which can be compared with the Yeti 4x2 is the X1.

But then, I have not seen anyone comparing an X1 with a XUV
I do agree on the point you make. But the price points between X1 and Yeti, takes it away as per me.
Sure from a utility point of view the 4x2 Yeti and X1 are similar. If one would be on a market for good 5 seater SUV one would definitely start with Yeti.
But X1 may not be in picture because of the price difference if budget is a constraint.

But on the other hand, if one is considering X1 along with Yeti, then as per my thought process, budget should not be a problem.
In such a case the cost of ownership also should be easier argument, as he should be able to afford the ownership of the vehicle.

PS: I have no idea about ownership costs of X1/Yeti. My thoughts are purely based on the price points of the vehicle
and the basis that if I can easily afford a vehicle I should also be able to afford its service costs.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 07:11   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,343 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

i agree with what you're saying here. i understand from a pal of mine who owns a BMW that his annual servicing cost is quite high.
same with some one else I know who owns a Q5.
of course all these are big boys who can either charge their expenses off against expenses OR have the company they work for, pay them off entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
PS: I have no idea about ownership costs of X1/Yeti. My thoughts are purely based on the price points of the vehicle
and the basis that if I can easily afford a vehicle I should also be able to afford its service costs.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 08:10   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 334
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

I think Skoda wants to keep space for smaller engines. TSI Jetta has been spotted testing. It is quite possible that Yeti may also get the TSIs in the future or may be a 1.6 Tdi too. If they do, it will definitely be priced below the 4X2 110bhp variant, making it a good alternative to corolla and civic at similar price point. I would want skoda to retain traction control and ASR even in the cheaper variants. With the smaller engines Skoda will have the flexibility to price the car much below the Laura, which they just can't do with the current engines.

Yeti is well accepted in the European market. But there they have hosts of options ranging from 14K - 22+K pounds. It is the smaller engine, 4X2 models that are considered VFM and are generating sales. I think a reasonably priced 1.6 Tdi could just do that in India.

Last edited by fi.robin : 27th November 2011 at 08:13.
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 12:46   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,343 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

yes indeed.this would be a very good move by them. main thing is that more Yetis will hit the Indian roads because of more accessible pricing for the greater number of enthusiastic buyers.
also, i understand the the little Yeti actually has a waiting list in the UK! It is a very good and practical family vehicle indeed.
practically everyone who reviews it on youtube seems to have lots of nice things to say about it - in my opinion, with very good reason too!


Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
I think Skoda wants to keep space for smaller engines. TSI Jetta has been spotted testing. It is quite possible that Yeti may also get the TSIs in the future or may be a 1.6 Tdi too. If they do, it will definitely be priced below the 4X2 110bhp variant, making it a good alternative to corolla and civic at similar price point. I would want skoda to retain traction control and ASR even in the cheaper variants. With the smaller engines Skoda will have the flexibility to price the car much below the Laura, which they just can't do with the current engines.

Yeti is well accepted in the European market. But there they have hosts of options ranging from 14K - 22+K pounds. It is the smaller engine, 4X2 models that are considered VFM and are generating sales. I think a reasonably priced 1.6 Tdi could just do that in India.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 13:52   #60
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,917
Thanked: 4,621 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti 4x2 launched @ 13.20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
yes indeed.this would be a very good move by them. main thing is that more Yetis will hit the Indian roads because of more accessible pricing for the greater number of enthusiastic buyers.
also, i understand the the little Yeti actually has a waiting list in the UK! It is a very good and practical family vehicle indeed.
practically everyone who reviews it on youtube seems to have lots of nice things to say about it - in my opinion, with very good reason too!
itís a very popular vehicle in Europe, and I was looking at some of the comparison reviews online a couple of weeks back. Yeti was the winner when compared to the likes of Mini Countryman, Nissan Juke etc.

But the trouble here is, if they bring it with lower engine variants (at a reduced price point), it will impact the sales of the Laura, and maybe even the Rapid.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Yeti 4x2 - Purchase and Initial Ownership Experience samyboy Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 60 17th November 2016 21:07
Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 135 19th September 2014 07:50
China made Skoda Yeti - Launched in Chengdu M35 The International Automotive Scene 7 5th September 2013 14:12
VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs Abhinav667 The Indian Car Scene 239 10th April 2013 19:57
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:21.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks