Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st December 2011, 23:41   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Linea 2013 - Spy Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntneo View Post
The picture shown is of the Dodge Dart supposed to be revealed in the Detroit Auto Show 2012. The car is based on Alfa Romeo Giulietta.
See teaser pic
This car looks quite sharp, in my opinion. True, it doesn't have the artistic lines of the current Linea, but I feel that this design direction may help Fiat rejuvenate its brand in India. This looks like a car that'll appeal to a wider audience.

Any confirmation on whether this indeed is the future Linea?
Old 22nd December 2011, 00:31   #47
BHPian

I seriously doubt FIAT taking such a drastic move to launch the Dodge Dart as the new Linea. Remember the Punto and Linea had been around for some time in Europe before their India launch. Maybe we can just see some cosmetic updates.

More teaser pics of the Dodge available at http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-dodge-dart-teasers/

Last edited by ntneo : 22nd December 2011 at 00:32.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:25   #48
BHPian

Here's some more info on the 2013 Dodge Dart from InsideLine. The interesting part is that there will be a Fiat version of this car that will be launched in China.

2013 Dodge Dart, Future Jeeps Provide Opportunities for Fiat Brand

Quote:
Just the Facts:
  • Even with the launch of the new 2013 Dart, Dodge's days of attempting to become a global brand a strategy pursued in the Daimler Chrysler days appear to be over as new corporate parent Fiat envisions a much different role.
  • CEO Marchionne says Fiat will sell a version of the new Dart in China.
  • Further, Dodge will become a "top hat" donor to the Fiat brand and will share its platform architecture in Europe.

LONDON Dodge may be about to launch a major new model with the 2013 Dart, to be unveiled next month at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show as a successor to the Caliber, but its days of attempting to become a global brand a strategy pursued in the Daimler Chrysler days appear to be over. New corporate parent Fiat envisions a much different role for Dodge: a springboard for the Fiat brand, both in the U.S. and overseas.

Speaking at the Fiat Panda's European launch last week, Fiat-Chrysler boss Sergio Marchionne said, "We have no plans to build the Dodge brand globally. There are some markets where we will continue to sell, like Latin America and Argentina, but we have very limited international ambitions. But Dodge will be a 'top hat' donor. In China, Fiat will sell a version of the Dart."

Both the Dart and future Jeeps will also have much more in common with Fiat under the skin, thanks to the widespread use of a new architecture developed primarily for the North American market called CUSW (for C-segment, U.S., Wide) that has been derived from the platform that underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

Fiat badly needs a replacement in Europe for its painfully slow-selling C-segment Bravo hatchback and, says Marchionne, "our assimilation with Chrysler in 2009 has given us an opportunity. We've turned the business around and will make more than $2 billion profit in 2011." That profitability is giving the group the firepower to roll out a plan that will see it launching no fewer than eight models based on the CUSW architecture, including the 2013 Dart and several new Jeeps.

"Previously, we've never had competitive C- and D-segment models" in Europe, Marchionne says. "The C and D (segments) are more than half of the U.S. market's 14 million cars, and the C-segment is the biggest in the U.S. If Fiat tried to do (a C-segment model) in the European context alone, it would fail. Industrializing these models in the U.S. allows us to come back to Europe."

The C-segment is also one of the biggest in Europe, dominated by the Ford Focus, Opel Astra and Volkswagen Golf, but 35 years ago Fiat was also a big player with its ground-breaking 128 sedan. The 128's success has never been repeated, however, with the succeeding Ritmo (Strada in the U.S.), Tipo, Stilo and two generations of Bravo each selling fewer copies than their predecessors.

Marchionne hopes the new wave of sister cars from Dodge and Jeep and Fiat will reverse that unfortunate trend.
Old 2nd February 2012, 00:59   #49
BHPian

Arrow 2013 Linea Facelift

The face-lifted 2013 Linea has been spied with new bumbers, grills and little modified headlights. The article says it is coming by end of this year, so not sure when it will come here, may be 2013. But i like the current front design than this front,it might look better without camouflage.

2013 Fiat Linea facelift spy photos - Photos
Attached Images

RIC.BURNS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2013 Linea Facelift

Looks very similar to me when compared to the current one. The changes might be very small and maybe more noticeable to folks who have seen Linea close or have owned it.

Are there any changes being talked about under the skin?
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:09   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

The smaller grill with kind of an oval shape to it reminds me of the previous generation Hyundai Verna!

And whats with the front bumper design? So many cuts and creases! Why fix something when it ain't broke. Linea was one of the most beautiful cars in the segment anyways.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 07:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

FIAT again proves that it has an uncanny knack of releasing unattractive newer versions. Like the Punto facelift which resembles i10 this new Linea front end resembles an Optra.
Italian design flair not put to attract buyers.
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:56   #53
BHPian

Post Re: 2013 Linea Facelift

Quote:
The smaller grill with kind of an oval shape to it reminds me of the previous generation Hyundai Verna!

In fact the headlamps also seem a lot similar to the old Verna .

I just hope Fiat doesn't do to the new Linea what Maruti did to the new Dzire !
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

Since we are so used to the superbly gelling allround curves of Linea, this chiselling seems a little out of place. Changes to headlight shape, grille, bumper are all I can see. And the bootlid has the shape of Rapid's bootlid, no?
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:46   #55
BHPian

I like the rear license plate mounted on the boot ..
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
I like the rear license plate mounted on the boot ..
I feel the same way. Except for the new license plate position, none of the changes seem appealing. I prefer the current design, and not just because I happen to own an 09' Linea !

And I cannot make out any changes to the headlamps, they look just like the current ones.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 2nd February 2012 at 10:04.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:50   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yuck ! What was Fiat thinking ? I hope they are not expecting this Korean-ish design to eat into the Hyundai share of the market !!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And whats with the front bumper design? So many cuts and creases! Why fix something when it ain't broke. Linea was one of the most beautiful cars in the segment anyways.
+1

Old 2nd February 2012, 10:55   #58
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to significant a change on the outside and this will not impact sales eitherways. It looks like a mid life refresh and it does seem to have gone the Korean / New Verna way (But what worked for the Verna may not work for the Linea)

Current model buyers need not worry too much about what they will loose.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:23   #59
BHPian

Cars should follow a single design concept be it sporty (swift), classic (polo) or elegant (linea). Mix your priorities and you get the new linea. Hideos.

Nail in the coffin anybody?
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

I agree to what Crazy Driver has to say. Why fix something that aint broke. The current model is one of the best looking cars around.

The new changes, albiet very little are somehow not as great as the current one. I much prefer the current shape, to this new design.
Closed Thread