Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a limited edition variant?
Yes 59 28.10%
No 68 32.38%
Maybe 83 39.52%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th November 2012, 23:14   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Would you buy a limited edition variant?

A limited edition for me is something like ford figo with 1.6L petrol engine(a fiesta S version engine will be great) or the 1.5L diesel engine(as in new Ford fiesta), a swift with a 1.3L 90 PS diesel engine VGT, a verito with the 2.2 mHawk, Liva with 1.4 VGT that is seen in corolla,Honda City with 1.8L of civic's but calibration with good low end torque. These will be truly limited edition if provided as I believe none of them will qualify for the tax benefits except the swift and the so called fuel efficiency (probably honda might) of the regular customers.
Balaji31582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 08:33   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I will buy a limited edition variant if it gives me greater value over the other variants at an extra cost.

By value I mean, extra features which are worthwhile. Maybe alloys, better upholstery, ICE, rear wash wipe, safety features etc and no decals.

A few years ago, Hyundai launched a Santro Limited Edition at a marginal cost over the top variant. I think that LE model made a very good buy over the other Santro variants available during that time.

And yes, I will remove the 'LE' badge ASAP. Indian cars are carrying too many of those already.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 13:09   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
A limited edition for me is something like ford figo with 1.6L petrol engine(a fiesta S version engine will be great) or the 1.5L diesel engine(as in new Ford fiesta), a swift with a 1.3L 90 PS diesel engine VGT, a verito with the 2.2 mHawk, Liva with 1.4 VGT that is seen in corolla,Honda City with 1.8L of civic's but calibration with good low end torque. These will be truly limited edition if provided as I believe none of them will qualify for the tax benefits except the swift and the so called fuel efficiency (probably honda might) of the regular customers.
That's true!

For example, the 328i is now even more desirable because BMW has allotted a limited number of them for our country.

The Fiesta S was one of the best Limited Edition variant of a car out there. The vRS used to be, until Skoda replaced the old Skoda petrol engine with the 1.8T from the vRS and called it the 'Rider'.

But the best Limited Edition version was undoubtedly the 3-door versions of the Zen (Carbon & Steel)

Once import-regulations are relaxed, we could see a slew of limited edition CBU variants of common cars, like the Swift Sport?
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 19:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

As discussed earlier, not many limited edition variants are desirable to buy nor value, however Nano Limited edition makes a very VFM buy even though not high on exclusivity factor.

The add ons offered such as glove box, stereo and alloys are three very practical bits that make great sense to have. Now does this qualify to make it limited edition or termed as freebies on offer is a question by itself!
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 19:47   #65
BHPian

Limited version as a teaser that ups the ante of the base variant is a good buy. I will not buy one from the current trend of limited editions that are being brought out.
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 21:38   #66
BHPian

If the limited edition offers a better engine and suspension set up, I would buy it eyes closed if the price was right.

Limited editions are not really likely to have a lot of differences that spares may be an issue in the ling run, though some smaller parts might be a bit of an issue.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 09:44   #67
BHPian

Limited editions with superior engine would make sense. E.g. If Honda City were to be offered with the 1.8L Civic engine it would be a stonker.

However simple artificial upgrades do not make sense e.g. Honda City was offered, if I recall correctly, in 2010 in an electric Blue shade for a limited time. Biggest disadvantage was most dealers did not have stock paint of the same shade. Best of luck if you need to get a touch up or paint job done.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 15:16   #68
Senior - BHPian

Thinking back once again, there seems to be still very limited number of limited edition variants worthy of their tag.

The auto giant Maruti still does not offer anything unique in many of the limited sale variants but just a sticker job. Only the Brezza may come up with some paint customization in the coming future.

Other manufacturer taking the route again in a limited fashion is Toyota but again in a cosmetic manner to boost the sagging sales of its Etios range.

Wonder if there are any other limited editions worthy of mention in the current date.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 16:05   #69
BHPian

I had voted No as most of the cars which have limited edition have
1. Features which have been sourced from 3rd party or
2. parts procured from OEM suppliers in limited numbers.

In case of 1, they can be easily sourced outside at lower prices (except for missing out on manufacturer warranty). In case of 2, if sourced in limited numbers there could be an issue in sourcing a replacement part if needed outside warranty and not is mainstream.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 16:39   #70

No, I would not buy a limited edition variant of any car.
Limited edition variants should have some modifications in the form of engine specification, ICE, enhanced transmission, improved security features, added sunroof, etc.
In India the limited edition variants have just cosmetic changes here and there (mostly stickers and some color touch up), which at the start looks good, but their charm fades away with time.
Another issue with the limited edition variants is availability of parts with similar graphics or modification, in case you need one.
Amit_Kapoor4750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 19:08   #71
BANNED

I have voted for "Maybe". As Girish said, most of the Limited Edition sold in India are just cosmetic changes like stickers on the body and seat covers. These editions are sold to clear the stock of the cars. I will definately go for a limited edition car if it provides features which are available in a higher variant. Ex. I will buy i20 Elite if the limited edition comes with projector lamps, drl and Auto dimming IRVM. I will never put my money on a limited edition car which has just stickers or colour.
Akib Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 19:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

I have owned three Limited Edition Variants, however only one did justice to the name.

The Rides:

2010 - Fiesta 1.6 S - Needs no explanation, Last of the batches. One month after i got the car, Ford announced that S will be discontinued. Till date, my Favorite ride of all cars i have owned.

2012 -Verito Executive - The last batch before Mahindra facelifted the Verito. Was a Decent package, as it came loaded with the following on the top Spec D8
  • Leather seats
  • Alloy wheels
  • BT System from Kenwood
  • Useless Decals

2013 Rapid Prestige - Basically the top spec Elegance that had some dealer level accessorizes included as a package
  • Parking Sensors
  • Garmin GPS Navigation
  • Wind Deflectors
  • Prestige badge on front fender

I usually like Limited edition, however, i hate the decal job most manufacturers give with it. BTW, The Verito was de-decalized :P

Last edited by Mi10 : 26th February 2016 at 19:19.
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 21:15   #73
BHPian

Voted for Maybe.

Purely depends on whether the limited edition has features that I like and find useful.
This is also dependent on the cost factor, i.e the cost to benefit factor.
nmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 21:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

It depends what the limited edition provides extra instead of the normal version, But these days manufacturer's are launching limited editions with cosmetic changes just to clear out old stocks before launching the newer version of the car.

For instance, Polo SR was launched a couple of months before the Polo GT was launched.

So for me NO, Unless the limited edition is actually a true limited edition.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 08:20   #75
BHPian

I would not go for a Limited Edition of a variant and hence voted for the same, the reasons being- After researching a lot on the web world about limited editions of any particular product (be it cars, dashcam etc etc), one thing I have understood is that the slow moving/ a batch of faulty products are usually subjected to this method of marketing.
Yes, there are advantages like one gets more Value For Money product, but the percentage of it is very very small compared to the initial investment involved.
kp1992 is offline   Reply With Quote