Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd December 2011, 13:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How long before Mitsubishi India shuts shop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I remember a converstion i had with a mitsubishi dealer years ago about a major expansion plan for Mistubishi India from the parent company. And then the Yen went Kaput. Now i can argue as to how Nissan from Japan too managed the same thing from scratch.

Besides mitsubushi apart from their failed partnership with HM in india, has a lot of other revenue generating businesses such as elevators, A/C's and as a reputed OEM supplier for many industrial products in India. I guess theyr'e more interested with the Yens flowing back from these arenas than having the full Mistubishi Automotive brand over here.
HM is confirmed to go down the drain, it is understood, like you said Mitsu has a lot of other businesses in India, I know that for sure, but that should not stop them from taking advantage of a position where the INDIAN folks look up to them. The Lancer, more than the Cedia created such a good market for them in India, it is time they break their relationship with Birla and come out on their own which is what all the japs have done except Suzuki for Maruti.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

HM stocks have depriciated further along with their sales. It is only a matter of months before company shuts shop.

I drive a lancer and used to wish the company survives. But with the pathetic practices and marketing plans, they are putting our nation to shame.

HM, Please die soon. And Mitsubishi you don't have much time at hand.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:40   #18
BHPian

Mitsubishi was a brand we all aspired to own when we saw those Pajeros. If you were rich and blue blooded you had Mercs but if you were newly rich so you had a Pajero.

The present Pajero that sell in India(not the ones badged as Montero/Outlander) is itself some 20-25 years old. Did you know that HM has rights over that model. They have no rights on the Montero/Outlander.

HM can make any change that they wish to do on the Pajero.
The engine is purely mechanical (and not BS 4) and currently does not sell in BS4 metros etc

HM paints it with colors that it feels nice, puts a new hub and alloys and VOILA!
Pajero sells another hundred. HM guys go back into their slumber.

This has been going on for quite some time but I think it is at the fag end of it.

Mitsu really needs to do something here.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:41   #19
Zed
BHPian

Perhaps the fact that the parent organization has such a wide range of business interest resulted in the Automobile division lacking the strategic focus & backing required to stay competitive. From an engineering standpoint, Mitsubishi has tremendous capabilities, an enviable knowledge pool and a fantastic history. Their products range(d) from ships, planes & heavy machinery to fountain pens and everything in between
Sad to see the company that launched the first series production passenger car in Japan in the 20th century dwindling down to an also ran in the 21st century.
The Indian Story of Mitubushi Motors was doomed from the very beginning, I suppose, having chosen HM as its partner. If only Mitsubishi had established its own footprint at some point in the past 10 years its story in India could have been very different.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Historically, Mitsubishi has never been a 'volume sale' company. They have always concentrated on "Performance" cars derived from their Rally-spec equipment. All their cars starting from Colt all the way to Sigma were toned down rally machines or Semi-sports cars, save Eclipse. After 2005, basically they pulled out of WRC and their management philosophy diverted from 'performance' to 'enviro-friendly'. At least this is what they say to the world. They are concentrating on developing most efficient 'electric cars'. The present models for the last 4-5 years they are just tweaking here and their and launching as next year model.
For Year 2012 they only have Galant-2012 and the new Mirage. All other models will be the same as 2010 or 2011.
Well, like many have said here, for Mistubishi, India is just another market and they don't want to be aggressive 'volume' player in this huge territory.
Surprisingly, they have all their models importable in Srilanka and Bangladesh. When I see gleaming new Lancer swishing past me in Colombo, I just couldn't stop wondering "Why not this in India"?
But, my strong belief is that all our cries will fall in deaf ears of Mitsubishi, as they have no intent to boost their sales whatsoever. Closing down? Again typical of Mitsubishi, they might not pull out of the country, but just be here for some more years. (that could be my wish too, as I own a 4 year old Cedia.)
Unless they pull out of HM and have a strategic plan to re-launch itself as performance car maker, bring in new Lancer Diesel and ASX or RVR Diesel, assembled in India, the future is bleak.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 2nd December 2011 at 18:05.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:47   #21
BHPian

Nice topic! I've spent a good 18 years in the Middle East and Mitsus were always considered the elite Jap amongst the rest - hondas, toyos, nissans.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
HM can make any change that they wish to do on the Pajero.
The engine is purely mechanical (and not BS 4) and currently does not sell in BS4 metros etc
They have managed to make the Pajero BS-IV, but at the cost of 10HP and lower torque. And yes Pajero still sells in Metros, but due to reduced power, those who can, buy the BS-III version.

What I would like is for the Pajero to have
. an option for modern CRDI diesel at a nominal cost.
. reduce the cost by 5L, and see it fly off the shelves
. introduce a SWB

But that is not to be, as they seem to be waiting till they can dissociate from or buy off, the HM JV. Till then if it sells it sells, if not, so what?
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:19   #23
BHPian

To survive in the Indian market currently, is no child's play. Competition has literally reached a place where any product, if not at par with the competition, no matter how good it is, will NOT sell.

To make a place for itself in the Indian market once again, Mitsubishi should launch the 2012 Lancer. The lancer was once a status symbol and a benchmark for other car manufacturers, but selling a product which is almost 2 decades old isn't going to work. I seriously wonder why Mitsu isn't considering launching the New lancer here. It would be a great hit if they do. Even the compact outlander can be launched if priced correctly to compete with the Yeti. They do have options, but the bosses seem to have forgotten that they sell cars in a country called India.

Looks just like the EVO this;
How long before Mitsubishi India shuts shop!!-lan12_ex_71920x1080.jpg

Last edited by DeKay : 2nd December 2011 at 21:21.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:48   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post

Looks just like the EVO this;
Attachment 850912
And why wouldn't it?

All the road going Lancers looked just like their rally-counterparts, albeit without the mad spoilers and air-intakes. And that's what made the Lancer such a success and such an icon. I mean, if they could bother launching the Monterio and the Outlander, why not the new Lancer? There is no reasonable explanation for this.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
And why wouldn't it?

All the road going Lancers looked just like their rally-counterparts, albeit without the mad spoilers and air-intakes. And that's what made the Lancer such a success and such an icon. I mean, if they could bother launching the Monterio and the Outlander, why not the new Lancer? There is no reasonable explanation for this.
Spot on! The new lancer, even if priced slightly higher, would draw attention from almost everyone. Even people with a small budget and people with a high budget. The 2012 lancer does have the potential to be a huge success in the Indian market. This launch is substantial for Mitsu.

I, for one would DEFINITELY consider the new lancer if launched here.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:20   #26
BHPian

Once owned a mitsubishi, you want to own a mitsubishi. But in India due to the derilict state of mitsubishi, we are unable to do so. I drove a cedia for 4 yrs, when my driving went up from 20 kms a day to 90 kms a day, I could not cope up with the fuel costs. I was too eager to go for a lancer diesel, inspite of being decades old. But it was not available in metros.
I even explored plonking a diesel motor in cedia, but did not find a solution. I am riding a cruze now, but every time I see a cedia or lancer I miss those mitsubishi days. I probably drive faster with cruze now, but the emotional connect is missing.
When all mitsubishi owners have that emotional connect with their mitsubishi cars, its only mitusbishi corporation thats not having the emotional connect with the Indian customer.
Car&me is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:27   #27
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Seems like Mitsubishi chose a wrong partner in India. When they entered the market, possibly there were not too many options. What is worse is that they never corrected that mistake, when better players emerged. HM closing shop would be a blessing in disguise for Mitsu.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:57   #28
BHPian

As already pointed out Mitsubishi is a big conglmerate of the motors is one division. The contribution of this division to the parent is not very significant compared to others like heavy industries, electric, banking. In most of the markets Mitsubishi is a niche player (something like Saab was) and never into the volume competition with other motor companies. Of course they have cars like galant and the cool eclipse.

When HM shuts down, I will not be surprised if MM pack their bags and leave India. They have not made any significant investments (plant, dealerships, etc) and hence won't lose much.
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 01:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I see so many great looking Mitsubishis in other markets.
Maybe they're selling well in Japan and parts of Asia, but everywhere else Mitsubishi is a failing brand. Even with huge incentives to lure people to buy their cars, sales are falling.

November 2011: Black Friday Edition

Last edited by Jeeper1941 : 3rd December 2011 at 01:36. Reason: spelling
Jeeper1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:05   #30
BHPian

To be fair to mitsubishi, from what i have heard and read, Mitsubishi motors is not in the best of Financial state.Therefore huge investments in markets will be limited. The same was happening to Mitsubishi Australia while i was there (2001-2007) and I am guessing its the same all over the world including India.

With the world financial crisis, things have gotten harder for the whole car industry and it has hit mitsubishi that bit harder as it was already in a not so good shape to begin with. So looks like it will be a case of status Quo for their indian operations for many more years to come.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote