Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th December 2011, 21:32   #46
BHPian

Couple of years back i was driving around a Galant (a 4 year old used one, in US) for a period of 2 years. During those years the Lovely machine had really GROWN on me and i was really in a state of mind that if at all I buy a new car in US of the same segment it will be a Mitsu and will be a Galant. This was further strengthened by my few days association with a (then) current year version of the Galant, a rented one. It was so diff from all those other japs that it keeps u involved fully. Alas the sorry state of it here is really disheartening.

And OMG !!! I would call it "one sweet moment of my life" when i got to see the Lancer Evo in all its glory months before it was formally launched here. I had seen it inside the HM plant near thiruvallore. (i am in software and the one which is a sister concern at CKB ) I havent spotted it ever on roads though. Well, I never thought I would when I got to hear the price of 50L.
ThePunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 00:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How long before Mitsubishi India shuts shop!!

Mitsubishi has a sales-service network present in the country from their HM marriage.
They could very well tap take advantage of this. All they need is to develop a good product portfolio with diesel engines.
How are they doing in other parts of the globe?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 01:20   #48
BHPian

I would love to have an Outlander with diesel engine, also a modification on headlamps.
Sajuanchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
As already pointed out Mitsubishi is a big conglmerate of the motors is one division. The contribution of this division to .

When HM shuts down, I will not be surprised if MM pack their bags and leave India. They have not made any significant investments (plant, dealerships, etc) and hence won't lose much.
Depending on factors such as:

[] fuel price scenario in India and globally

[] success achieved by MMC in the EV technology arena,

[] fiscal structure in India governing the EV segment - taxes and duties on components, batteries etc

[] how soon HM reaches a state of rigor mortis - it has not quite reached there yet

MMC might very well decide to stick it out and surprise us.

ps: If HM reaches rigor mortis soon enough and MMC is freed from the millstone of this JV, I would NOT be surprised if they revamp the operations and show renewed enthusiasm for our market INSPITE of EV tech not having made any revolutionary leap.
RS_DEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
This is a waiting game going on.

If I am not way off the mark, the JV termination clauses between the two provide for hefty termination payments by the party seeking termination of the JV. Now as we all know HM is a prime example of loser of a corporate entity and a third rate management. MMC on the other hand if I recall some press reports correctly is seeing the future in EVs.

Therefore the way I see it MMC is waiting for HM to finally bite the bullet and ask for termination of the JV to encash their realty holdings where the plant is/plants are located. If such a scenario does unfold MMC would be most glad to oblige. I do not really see MMC rushing to HM to ask for a JV termination because the way I see it the separation would be economically un-viable.

I concede there is a whole load of guesses above, which could be horribly wrong. However this is the only reason I can think of for MMC not being proactive and dumping the CKB millstone around their neck.
I can only say that you are not too much off the mark.

Coming back to their cars, I too find them very attractive. And like ARoy, I would also gladly buy a Pajero at a Yeti price.
chinkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 19:15   #51
BHPian

When you partner with someone who is a player in the same segment, the conflict of interest will obviously lead to step motherly treatment. This holds good for both Mitsu and Fiat. Both make extremely competent cars but their A.S.S partners let them down big time.
veyron_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 12:50   #52
BHPian

It is sad indeed, and I agree the HM way has so much as only crept into the MMC team.

They are promoting one off rallies on the circuit but not promoting the wins or the car that wins, everytime.

There is no talk of what they have been doing, and I agree it's all a useless and futile effort now.

I bought a Cedia this year only because I wanted to, not because I saw some snazzy, pepped-up, adrenaline pumping TVC showing the car's prowess or any advancements/refinements made since the 2 litre 4G94 engine was launched in 2007.

They haven't done anything, period and a brand, much like a nondescript individual preferring to stay locked up in a shell (read room) even with all his talents, will die a slow death if not rejuvenated or atleast kept in the limelight with renewable energies and purpose.

I will be posting this link on the MMC FB and Twitter pages, some johnnies are busy doing a few posts now and then there, all senseless though.

IMO they have far too much conviction in the product, and that was about a decade ago, and they haven't even pondered or looked into issues since then, and it is disappointing.

Case in point is Nissan, made a late entry but at least people know there is a car called Nissan plying Indian roads. Heck I see more Teanas than I see Cedias, and I am not even going to the Micra and the Sunny yet. (my parking lot has a Sunny more than my lone Cedia)

The Outlander SHOULD have been introduced in a Diesel; period; ditto for the Cedia too, but that's a lost cause for many years now.

All those rallies conducted in remote locations with no promoting ad mass-media is almost like winking at a girl in the dark, only you feel elated at your accomplishment.

I can go on, but guess enough said.

Last edited by mandheers : 15th December 2011 at 12:51.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 14:26   #53
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Around 2002, you would see a lancer in every nook and corner of Tirupur, coimbatore, erode etc. The reason I mention this is that these towns have a reputation of having the best re-sale value in Tamil nadu since the cars were mostly owned by textile mill owners and they were maintained very well. The lancer was a status symbol in these towns. I remember my friend picking up a new lancer in 2008 inspite of the car being virtually non existent in the showrooms. Another friend of mine wanted to sell his new dzire and get a new lancer, only that it wasnt available.
Even today, if Mitsu were to launch the new lancer{in diesel ofcourse} say at about 8-10 lakhs, I'm sure you will find people ditching ventos in favor of the lancer. And again it is something which Mitsu is hell bent up on not doing!
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 14:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

MMC is a conservative motor company as far as reach is concerned. Hope they are just waiting to buy off HM and launch their range full force.
their strategy on pricing/models/market is all claustrophobic because of HM attitudes.
Imagine the Cedia at 15lacs, EVO at 30 lacs and the Monteiro at 35 lacs With full ***.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 17:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

HM-Mitsubishi pulls out of Auto Expo. Was hoping to see the Pajero Sport unveiled at Pragati Maidan but alas.. ~ Tweeted by Hormazd
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 18:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

Bhpian Mandheers posted a link of this thread on Mitsubishi India's Facebook account and here is their reply. Thanks for posting the link Mandheers..

"Mitsubishi India Dear Team BHP,
Firstly, thank you for your concern for Mitsubishi. Even though there is disappointment, your love for a Mitsubishi vehicle is apparent. Your insights and observations are invaluable to our team.To assure you, we are aware of... the present state as compared to a decade back.
In addition, we are taking concrete steps to give each Mitsubishi vehicle its due importance and visibility. We share a passion for Mitsubishi that shall be given its due."
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 21:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Even today, a tastefully customised Lancer attracts more eyeballs than many contemporary sedans. Mitsubishi is just throwing away it all. I don't get it. Hello!!! Have the Mitsu top-brass heard of a country called India?
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 23:54   #58
BHPian

Mitsubishi should bring in Mirage, Lancer EX, ASX, Galant, Grandis, Pajero Sports. Equally important they need to phase out old models like Lancer, Cedia and Pajero.

Refreshed line up should give them some hope else they should shut shop. I have been driving Mitsu cars since 2007 and it is very sad to see them not take India market seriously.
Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 01:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Like any other ex/current Mitsu owner, I share a deep love and respect for the brand and its cars. And it's sad to see where they are now. It's shocking that when manufacturers from around the world are desperate to gain a foothold in India, one of the first movers has simply lost the plot and is showing no interest whatsoever. There have actually been times when I've day dreamed of shaking the guy(s) in charge out of their reverie and asking them what the hell they're trying (not) to accomplish!

Anyway, here's an indicative roadmap that they could consider, should they decide to stick around here:

- Lose the HM dead weight. Get hold of another local investor since Mitsu globally isn't in great financial health. But hold the majority stake in the JV.
- Set up a new manufacturing unit in India that can be a parts hub. This can supply to other Asian countries, Australia and Africa and keep down costs of models being sold in India.
- Also have a diesel engine manufacturing facility in the plant for use in own cars as well as to sell to other auto companies in India. Diesels are hot property in India, but many companies like Maruti look elsewhere for the engines. Honda may be tempted too!
- Phase out the Cedia in its current form. Maybe reintroduce a stripped down version with diesel, LPG/CNG engines targetting cab and fleet car companies. It's a reliable, safe and comfortable car ... combine that with economy, it'll appeal big time.
- Introduce the new Lancer in the C/C+ segment, price aggressively to pitch it against the City, Vento et al. Keep both diesel and petrol as options.
- Introduce a volume car, maybe the Colt. Priced well, it should be reasonably successful.
- Introduce a diesel Outlander, price both fuel variants aggressively by localizing parts etc.
- Keep selling the old Pajero and Montero initially. If the previous steps are a success, re-evaluate branding+pricing of these two.
- Work hard to improve a.s.s and set up more service centres gradually.

Last edited by razor4077 : 16th December 2011 at 01:54.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 13:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

^^For Point No.2, Please read this news from their official website:
Press Release | Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
They are producing Pajero Sports in Bangaldesh!
How more tangential MMC can be!
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote