Old 5th December 2011, 19:32   #16
BHPian

Default Re: GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
More details? Sounds interesting.

Are you using it? Any feedback?
I have used it before, but don't have a permanent setup in my car,
Its easy to setup,but it wont work with java phones as i said earlier(google removed support for latitude from java phones), any used crap smartphone will do
Install GoogleMobileMaps on the phone ,Create a new google account
Login to google mobile maps & Enable "latitude"
Add your "Main google account" as your friend from the "new account"
Enable "Full location sharing"

Now you will be able to see approximate location of your "New account" from your other Mobile phones or from Google latitude web interface.

Keep running the google Mobile maps, and Hide the mobile somewhere in your car

Last edited by splitsecond : 5th December 2011 at 19:33.
splitsecond is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 19:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post

Keep running the google Mobile maps, and Hide the mobile somewhere in your car

I will need to 2 smart phones? And we know how good the battery of a smart phone is! So, yeah, that's my task cut out.

Nevertheless, such ingenuity! This kind of jugaad happens only in India
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 20:50   #18
BHPian

Smile Re: GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

I will need to 2 smart phones? And we know how good the battery of a smart phone is! So, yeah, that's my task cut out.

Nevertheless, such ingenuity! This kind of jugaad happens only in India
No, only need one smartphone, My n82 can easily last for 5 days on standby and can for most nokia smartphones on new battery.
This is only a basic setup, one can improve like, starting gmaps only when needed through sms, with smartphone its easy to do this.
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 21:18   #19
BHPian

I have installed a tracking device in my Scorpio. I can call the number (need to insert a sim in device) and it will reply back with the gps co-ordinates and with which the location can be found. I have not configured the device to switch of the engine or some other features as it needs some connections which may affect the waranty of my Scorpio. I reports the location and the speed.
shivapsreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 15:25   #20
BHPian

GPS jammer & a cellphone signal jammer and the thief's good
These jammers are already selling through websites even before the GPS trackers have become popular enough.
anuragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 17:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
one should get one which doesnt have recurring cost. apart from gsm sim charges they charge portal and tracking charges which is not good.
Is there any without recurring cost?

I am looking for one for my Pajero;

HM recommends Hindustan Trackers (obvious since it's their own product!). It cost's around 14K for the device & installation + 3.9K yearly subscription charges. Features included are;
  • Real time tracking of the vehicle with an interval of every one minute.
  • SMS/Email alerts for vehicle ignition, overspeed, ideal.
  • SMS/Email alerts on geofence in/out.
  • Authenticated User id & Password for tracking portal logging for n number of users.
  • You can create un-limited geo-fence in any shape as per your requirement .
  • We provide sms alerts on mobile numbers.
  • You can get journey history of last 3 months.
  • You can allocate vehicle details like: vehicle number,vehicle name, vehicle model, driver name, chassis number etc. on tracking portal.
  • 24X7 Toll free number for any assistance.
  • You can create Point Of Interest on map.
  • Device internal battery life is approx 2 year.
  • Warning alert on low vehicle battery via sms alert
And the other reliable name pops out is; MMI VT1 (Vehicle Tracking) : 16,500 Inclusive of one year service.

Guess - there are few more players like Autocop, Xenos & Tcop in the market.

The one thing which comes in favour of Hindustan Tracker is that they claim that they can immbolise (provided the car is not running or engine is switched off at that moment) the car with an SMS alert to the device which is not there in the MMI (as per the feature list).

Has anyone used these products and how good are they or a simple Gear Lock will do the job? Any suggestions would be welcome.
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 21:52   #22
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There are any competing products available in India, including MMI and Micro VBB. I have been using the MMI product for some time (that just tracks the car and alerts you on its movements, based on your parameters), but I found that its SMS alert system doe snot often function properly negating the very purpose of having the system itself. It does not have any car deactivation features unlike say, Micro VBB and some others. Thieves today are quite smart and unless you camouflage the system (in my car, it is not, the GPS module and wiring is visible), it may not be difficult for them to shut it off.

How are the annual charges of the MMI product (I believe it is VT1)? Was the installation done by MMI personnel or an accessories shop?
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 22:18   #23
BHPian

Tata Docomo has come up with a car anti-theft system.Got an email about it today.

Key Features
1) Geo-lock the car - Get an instant alert if it moves away from the designated geography.
2) Undue stoppage alert - Get alerts when the car stops for more than a defined duration.
3) Over Speed alert - Get alerts when the car crosses the defined speed limit.
Route replay - Replay the route on map which you might have taken on a particular day.
4) Reports on distance travelled, stoppages, over-speeding, route deviation, geo-fencing.
5) Places of Interest - Get details of Car Workshop, Police station, Hospital, ATM, Tata Stores, Petrol Pump, Food joint & Cinema Theater on your mobile for the mentioned POI within 5 kms of the GPS location of the SmartCar Device.
6) Ignition Alert - Alert whenever your engine switched on.

Price:-
The price of device is not mentioned anywhere.
A rental of Rs.2500, paid as one time charge for 6 months.
A rental of Rs.5000, paid as one time charge for 12 months.
Date usage of 50 MB per month + 1000 SMS Local & National per month

Above details are mentioned in this link -
SmartCar Security System | Best 3G, GSM, CDMA Mobile connection in India- Tata DOCOMO

Its interesting to see such a product from a telecom company but i wonder which network will this device use - GSM or CDMA?Because Tata Docomo GSM network is not very reliable.

Also its not clear whether this devices needs any modification in wiring harness.Could not make out how this device will actually work- one will get sms alerts or something else?
Attached Images

coolabhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 14:55   #24
BHPian

after a brakein to my car couple of months back, I have been researching (google & tbhp) car security systems and seems like here are the options available in India with GPS support:

TCOP : www.tcop.co.in
Gold top model costs: 8000/- available via car dealers only and in bangalore only
no monthly fee, no wire tampering, no additional remote, no reccuring cost!
This one claims intruder/glass brakein detection as well.

AutoCop TackPro: www.autocoptrackpro.com (no product details on the site, only sold through disributors)
one model: 9500/- bangalore
If your car already has remote locking you will either need to live with two remotes or will have to disable company fitted one and use autocop, disabling company fitted would mean disabling company fitted immobilizer, not my first preference, or tamper with wires and use one remore can void warranty.

Micro VBB: www.microvbb.net
Not available in bangalore

Tata docomo: www.tatadocomo.com/smartcar-security.aspx
this one has monthly fee!

TrackMate: www.trackmate.in (seems like targeted at fleet management)

Sonik GPS: www.sonikgps.com (seems like targeted at fleet management)

Right now I have more or less decided on a Gear Lock (from Xenos: http://www.xenos.co.in/gear-shift-locks.html) + TCOP for securing my car.

Researching more on the TCOP functionality & reliability.

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 2nd September 2012 at 14:58.
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 15:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have fitted Autocop track pro in my new safari. Sadly they have ommited engine immobiliser in the new model. But tracking etc works perfectly.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 16:40   #26
BHPian

I kept reading TCOP is based on GSM technology especially highlighted by Mr. Mallesh Reddy CEO iTrans... but did not make the connection until a couple of minutes back.

TCOP is not GPS based.

iTrans has tied up with Vodafone to source the SIM cards and they rely on Vodafone's GSM cell towers not GPS to triangulate the vehicle.

Certainly the idea is good and would work great wherever Vodafone has their service.

I have two questions:
1. What about outside the Vodafone service area and in other states?

2. Usually these towers have a range, so can a vehicle be pin pointed to its location or will it be located in radius of x kms? and even a 2 or 3 kms radius is a big one to deal with in a crowded places and if the vehicle is moving.

that makes me rethink about TCOP decision.
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 11:19   #27
BHPian

Default AUTOGUARD - Car Security

I watched the TVC Video during a movie intermission at Cinemax Mumbai. Thought it was really interesting for the all car users who have purchased lower/mid variants or older models of cars which lack car security features.

User and expert views and reviews are welcome.

AUTOGUARD: VEHICLE SECURITY AND TRACKING SOLUTIONS FROM VAZHIKATTI

Imagine being aware and in control always, being able to track and secure your vehicle. An evolution in vehicle security and tracking, all you need is your mobile phone. Get Autogaurd today, the closest you can get to protect your vehicle.
• Intelligent enough to alert your mobile phone during attempted vehicle theft
• GPS technology enabling you to track your vehicle location using a mobile phone
• Empowers you to switch off & on ignition & A/C during emergency
• Detects unauthorized ignition / door opening / movement
• Communicates with your mobile phone (any model) via SMS as per your wish
• Can be installed in all types of vehicle irrespective of model and make
• Tamper, weather & water proof

Product Homepage: http://autoguard.in/index.htm

Parent Company: http://www.vazhikaatti.net/index.aspx

Disclaimer: I am not connected to Autoguard or Vazhikatti Group in any way or form

P.S: Mods, I couldn't find suitable open thread on this topic so started a new one. Kindly move if needed.

Last edited by Zenster : 9th September 2012 at 11:21.
Zenster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 13:17   #28

I have a MSIL-fitted central locking in my new Alto 800. I want to get the AutoCop Trackpro GPS thing, but do they give it minus the central locking and immobiliser? I just need the tracking part and not another layer of security. And don't want to remove the MSIL-fitted central locking and immobiliser.
desertfox52001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 15:06   #29
Team-BHP Support

I am currently setting up such a solution for my car. Should have it done once I have some time. Cost approx will be 2500rs + Prepaid sim card.
Lots of such trackers available for 60$ on ebay. getting GPRS to work is a pain with these, but sms based tracking is good enough. Every 30s it can send an SMS with a google map link containing latitude and longitude.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 18:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox52001 View Post
I have a MSIL-fitted central locking in my new Alto 800. I want to get the AutoCop Trackpro GPS thing, but do they give it minus the central locking and immobiliser? I just need the tracking part and not another layer of security. And don't want to remove the MSIL-fitted central locking and immobiliser.
Yes they do that. You can order only the Telematics part.
scopriobharath is online now   Reply With Quote