Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2012, 19:59   #721
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Had a chance to drive the Figo to Munnar from Kochi. Absolutely hated driving it through the ghats with only 3 people on board. Car just crawls with A/C on. Till 1500 rpm there is no power and that too rpm picks up very slow till this. My friend who owns a Santro also was irritated to the core with this lack of power. Very low torque on low rpms. Had to constantly shif down to 2nd gear in curves.

Punto would be a far easy drive in low rpms. Nothin can match the torque that the MJD has. You can easily climb inclines without any accelerator input.
Soccerfan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 20:26   #722
BHPian
 
one-77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: KL08/MH01
Posts: 358
Thanked: 198 Times
Default

Well I don't own either, but have driven both the Figo and the Punto (both 75 and 90 hp). I found both quite comparable in terms of driveability, handling, and steering feedback. Though the Punto 75 hp does have an edge over the Figo in these parameters, it is only marginal. The appreciable differences are in styling, features, build quality, interiors, ride (firmer on the Figo), noise insulation, and overall appeal.
For me, personally, it's Punto all the way. And the 90 hp is way nicer.
But the Figo makes sense as a value for money, spacious, no nonsense hatch, that will eventually hold better resale value than the Punto.
one-77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 23:41   #723
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
folks, fiat is planning to launch a sports version punto with sunroof, leathers, and other feature upgrades; around june/July. This will likely be the replacement for the punto 90.
How I wish this really happens.Hopefully Fiat also work on the gearbox and make it smooth and slick.Any ideas on the price(assuming it does happen)?
KINI is online now  
Old 28th January 2012, 11:28   #724
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Haha! I must say, reading Fiat threads really crack me up.

The punto is the most sluggish and unrefined car, to use the national engine i feel. Im not sure about the 2012 models, but its highly unlikely that they are a world different from the '11 ones.

There is absolutely no response in the lower rpm's, and by the time the tacho climbs, the noise it makes makes you feel you are strangling it.

Then, the lesser said about the ergonomics and the plastics, the better.


The Figo is a much cheaper car, again, interior and rubber quality is average at best, but it is still miles better than the punto, and the driving experience is very good. Even though outright power is not like the swift, its is definitely not laggy like the punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
One more piece of advice

1) Sit inside the Figo, Switch ON the A/C Start driving, switch off the A/C you get the turbo boost. The Noise inside the cabin will irritate you to the core, The Diesel clatter is too much in the Figo, the car struggles once the A/C is switched ON.

2) Well, i dont need to say anything about the Punto Multijet,
JayD is offline  
Old 28th January 2012, 11:58   #725
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
folks, fiat is planning to launch a sports version punto with sunroof, leathers, and other feature upgrades; around june/July. This will likely be the replacement for the punto 90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
How I wish this really happens.Hopefully Fiat also work on the gearbox and make it smooth and slick.Any ideas on the price(assuming it does happen)?
Considering that the sun-roof alone would add atleast 30-40K to the price of the car, I think we can safely assume that it won't make it to the car. There's no sun-roof even in the Linea.

What we can expect, IMO, is T-Jet's 16-inch alloys and all-wheel disc brakes in the 90HP Punto. Hopefully, it will get sportier suspension and some performance tweaks as well. Maybe added goodies like leather seats, auto headlamps/wipers.

Pricing-wise, I hope Fiat will be able to provide the updated version at the same price or a marginal price increase (5-10K). Otherwise, it will be suicidal since the Punto 90HP is already among the priciest hatches in India.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 12:29   #726
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Considering that the sun-roof alone would add atleast 30-40K to the price of the car, I think we can safely assume that it won't make it to the car. There's no sun-roof even in the Linea.

What we can expect, IMO, is T-Jet's 16-inch alloys and all-wheel disc brakes in the 90HP Punto. Hopefully, it will get sportier suspension and some performance tweaks as well. Maybe added goodies like leather seats, auto headlamps/wipers.

Pricing-wise, I hope Fiat will be able to provide the updated version at the same price or a marginal price increase (5-10K). Otherwise, it will be suicidal since the Punto 90HP is already among the priciest hatches in India.
More than the goodies I wish they improve the fit and finish overall.The Punto is a pretty loaded car as it is.
However if they do add all the goodies you mentioned(minus the sunroof),expect atleast a 20-30k hike in price initially!!
KINI is online now  
Old 28th January 2012, 16:54   #727
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Haha! I must say, reading Fiat threads really crack me up.

The punto is the most sluggish and unrefined car, to use the national engine i feel. Im not sure about the 2012 models, but its highly unlikely that they are a world different from the '11 ones.

There is absolutely no response in the lower rpm's, and by the time the tacho climbs, the noise it makes makes you feel you are strangling it.

Then, the lesser said about the ergonomics and the plastics, the better.


The Figo is a much cheaper car, again, interior and rubber quality is average at best, but it is still miles better than the punto, and the driving experience is very good. Even though outright power is not like the swift, its is definitely not laggy like the punto.
JayD you really should have tried driving the Figo through the ghats. It was 2nd gear-3rd gear all the way. Everyone of us including the owner absolutely hated it. Low end torque is definitely better in Punto. In 1k-1.5k rpm the Figo makes you feel you are lugging the engine, while in Punto you can easily cruise around. I dont have anything more to say. And the plastics in the figo is equal or worse than Punto. all the plastics in the B pillar of Figo has started coming out and rattles are everywhere. Only good thing I found in Figo is the nice fabric seats
Soccerfan is offline  
Old 29th January 2012, 10:44   #728
BHPian
 
rsjaurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Batala
Posts: 775
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Yesterday I was offered free insurance, 4yr free RSA, 12K corp. discount, 10K dealer discount and usual accessories on Linea.
rsjaurr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 17:54   #729
BHPian
 
pareshraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post

Thanks to a fellow BHPian who PMed me and introduced me to his SE, I am going for a test drive of the 75 and 90HP today. Hopefully, it will be back-to-back and an extended one. Will check on all the above. Looking forward to it. Ok if I mention your name here Bhpian??? Many thanks for the support, advice and getting in touch. Team Bhp rocks!
Buddy: you are very much welcomed to put my name up in the forum. I will be glad to help you, getmahendra and any other member. This forum has always helped me with valuable inputs and I am happy to return the favor. Anybody need help: is free to PM me.

Cheers

PS : I also have a vested interest in helping other members with better deals on Punto. The catch is, I am a FIAT fan and will love to see more of them on our Indian roads
pareshraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 21:23   #730
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 913
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

I have also decided to go in for Punto Emotion.
Now the confusion is only about the choice of color. I want White but wifey dearest wants either the Oceanic Blue or Tuscon Wine.

Since I don't have a covered parking I want to go in for a color that would be easy to maintain.

I am will be opting for the value pack of 4K which includes insurance and 50 months RSA. Haggling on corporate discount, and the dealer is offering Teflon coating (will opt out of) plus mats etc.

Been told the wait time would be around 3 weeks, will be booking the car sometime this week. Hopefully I get the car by Feb end.

Wish me luck :-)
hiren.mistry is offline  
Old 29th January 2012, 22:32   #731
Newbie
 
getmahendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 18
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

@ Pareshraheja
I don't know the background but your help must have been important for Musa.

@hirenmistry
The oceanic blue is also a light and easy to maintain colour. In fact white is non metallic colour whereas oceanic blue is metalic.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th January 2012 at 13:36. Reason: FYI, reason for the last post removal was : Team-BHP does NOT permit any group-buy discussions
getmahendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 22:33   #732
BHPian
 
prakash_ajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Now the confusion is only about the choice of color. I want White but wifey dearest wants either the Oceanic Blue or Tuscon Wine.

Since I don't have a covered parking I want to go in for a color that would be easy to maintain.

Wish me luck :-)
First of all, congratulations!

If you are worried about maintaining it clean, then my recommendation would be the beige or the azure (blue). The silver/gray will be easy to maintain too, but personally I don't like it much.
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 23:30   #733
Senior - BHPian
 
architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ghaziabad, U. P
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 443 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
First of all, congratulations!

If you are worried about maintaining it clean, then my recommendation would be the beige or the azure (blue). The silver/gray will be easy to maintain too, but personally I don't like it much.
Why not the Bronzo Scurro. I think its now available on non-T-Jets also. Its a "premium" shade but looks fantastic and is easier to maintain than black / white / wine.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised that it was not the Linea being discussed but the Punto. I would suggest the medium grey as easiest to maintain. Foxtrot Azure should not be too difficult to maintain, either, but nothing to beat grey for maintainability (ask me, I own a magnesium grey colour)

Last edited by architect : 29th January 2012 at 23:33.
architect is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 08:47   #734
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 913
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmahendra View Post
@ Pareshraheja
@hirenmistry
The oceanic blue is also a light and easy to maintain colour. In fact white is non metallic colour whereas oceanic blue is metalic.
Yes, Oceanic Blue is a color that is liked by both of us. In all likelihood I will be opting for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
First of all, congratulations!

If you are worried about maintaining it clean, then my recommendation would be the beige or the azure (blue). The silver/gray will be easy to maintain too, but personally I don't like it much.
Thanks for your suggestion.
There is no beige shade in the Punto range. We do not like the Fox Trot Azure at all, it looks faded :-)

I am huge car/bike detailing fan, so I'm sure I would be able to keep the car nice and shiny.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Why not the Bronzo Scurro. I think its now available on non-T-Jets also. Its a "premium" shade but looks fantastic and is easier to maintain than black / white / wine.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised that it was not the Linea being discussed but the Punto. I would suggest the medium grey as easiest to maintain. Foxtrot Azure should not be too difficult to maintain, either, but nothing to beat grey for maintainability (ask me, I own a magnesium grey colour)
hiren.mistry is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 13:18   #735
BHPian
 
nkg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 227
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Yes, Oceanic Blue is a color that is liked by both of us. In all likelihood I will be opting for that.
Regards
You can even consider Exotica Red. Very easy to maintain as the dust is not noticeable in red shade. I use my car daily and I just wash it fortnightly.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall justin.das Technical Stuff 128 5th December 2017 19:56
Aprilia RSV4 launched. Vespa brand to return in 2012! Edit - Vespa now launched CrAzY dRiVeR Superbikes & Imports 14 26th June 2015 10:52
Fiat Punto / Linea - Limited "Absolute Edition" Now Available .McLaren The Indian Car Scene 64 11th December 2013 15:47
Fiat Caffe & Fiat Punto Sport Launched in Pune moralfibre The Indian Car Scene 68 28th January 2013 22:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks