Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th February 2012, 00:28   #841
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
For your information, there are no Steering mounted controls on Figo.
You are right.

Quote:
Not at all. Swift is not bad at all. It is good car and selling great because of Maruti's reliability. But, the new Swift is indeed overpriced and is much over hyped as well .
Reliability is one of the major factor in choosing a car. Nobody wants the car to be stranded in middle of nowhere at odd hours and especially if your wife,mom is driving that car. Secondly, the high resale value is also leading to higher primary demand. Even if the other cars are cheaper, the difference is more than eaten away when you decide to resell. In today's scenario, its difficult to drive the same car for more than 3-4 years as there are so many new options coming up all the time plus people migrating from hatch to sedan. Secondly, the cost of spares/service etc is supposedly lower in MSIL. In total, overall cost of ownership for 3-4 years could still be lower than many other cars in the competition despite the car being looking pricy though it may not be a strong USP as it used to be.

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 6th February 2012 at 00:31. Reason: spelling
Old 6th February 2012, 00:33   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Reliability is one of the major factor in choosing a car. Nobody wants to be stranded in middle of the nowhere at odd hours and especially if your wife,mom is driving that car. Secondly, the high resale value is also leading to higher primary demand. Even if the other cars are cheaper, but the difference is more than eaten away when you decide to resell. In today's scenario, its difficult to drive the same car for more than 3-4 years as there are so many new options coming up all the time plus people migrating from hatch to sedan ( which i feel is no longer an upgrade). Secondly, the cost of spares/service etc is supposedly lower in MSIL. In total, overall cost of ownership for 3-4 years could still be lower than many other cars in the competition despite the car being looking pricy.
Very much true Sharad. I am not disputing at all. I am re-iterating again that everyone has their priorities and a take a call on car decision. After all peace of mind is most important than anything else.

I am very much peaceful with my current Fiat and don't have any issue with regard to the cost of ownership as well.
Old 6th February 2012, 01:04   #843
h14
BHPian

Hope I'm not going off topic in here. For people worried or having speculations about the cost of ownership or maintenance of FIAT's, have this in mind. I've got 6 FIAT's in my family and the cost of ownership has been substantially lower than the Tata's (read Indigo) that we had and certain consumables and spares are also cheaper than a TOYOTA (Corolla) that we still have with us.
h14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 09:23   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Very much true Sharad. I am not disputing at all. I am re-iterating again that everyone has their priorities and a take a call on car decision. After all peace of mind is most important than anything else.

I am very much peaceful with my current Fiat and don't have any issue with regard to the cost of ownership as well.
+1. Nothing better than your own experience. I have 3 fords, the last one a used discontinued Fusion. If I go by majority of others opinions, i should be out of my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Hope I'm not going off topic in here. For people worried or having speculations about the cost of ownership or maintenance of FIAT's, have this in mind. I've got 6 FIAT's in my family and the cost of ownership has been substantially lower than the Tata's (read Indigo) that we had and certain consumables and spares are also cheaper than a TOYOTA (Corolla) that we still have with us.
Why don't you post the comparison of service costs for both for the last service done for the benefit of other people. It will help people decide on data rather on hearsay!!!!

Also, nowadays, most car makers offer comprehensive 2/3 years extended warranties which makes the playing field quite level.
In fact on Swift/Dezire, the warranty was only till 40K kms or 2 yrs whereas for most others its 1L km / 2 yrs +1 yr EW on purchase!!!!!
Secondly, the service interval in the diesel models in Swift and Dezire I understand is 5K kms and for most other competition cars is 10k kms. So you are likely to pay twice for service assuming you clock more than 20k kms a year.

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 6th February 2012 at 09:25.
Old 6th February 2012, 09:56   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
In fact on Swift/Dezire, the warranty was only till 40K kms or 2 yrs whereas for most others its 1L km / 2 yrs +1 yr EW on purchase!!!!!
Secondly, the service interval in the diesel models in Swift and Dezire I understand is 5K kms and for most other competition cars is 10k kms. So you are likely to pay twice for service assuming you clock more than 20k kms a year.
Punto has 2 yrs/unlimited km warranty. If you purchase extended warranty, you get cover for 50 months/1.5L kms.

I think service interval for Swift/Dzire is 10K km, whereas it's 15K km for Punto, Polo, Fabia etc. I think the service interval is 10K for Figo as well. No idea about Liva, Vista, Micra.

Mod Note : This thread has been discussed sufficiently enough. The last few pages however, the discussion has veered completely off-topic.

Thread closed. If you've booked your car, do post in the "I Booked my car" thread. If you've bought one, we look forward to your ownership report.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 10:11. Reason: Adding thread closure note
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 12:42   #846
Senior - BHPian

Default Formal launch event for 2012 editions of the Grand Punto and Linea

Fiat India had orgnaised a launch event for the updated Grande Punto and Linea. Better know as the 2012 editions. I got a call from KHT Motors and Prerana for the launch event which was at the Lalit Ashok Hotel in Bangalore. This was on 24th February 2012 at 7pm.

I was surprised that KHT Motors called me and it was Mr. Tauceef. Though I did not have a good experinece dealing with KHT, Mr. Tauceef has been in touch with me even though I did not buy the car from them. Mr. Tauceef was also very thankful that I forwarded two customers to him and the sale went through. Tauceef came over to my office to hand over the invitation for the event.

At the same time, I had Prerana call me too and they came over to my house to hand out the invitation.

I am not sure why Fiat India had a formal launch for the cars in Bangalore. One of the executives did say that Bangalore had a considerable contribution towards sales for Fiat.

7pm was not a comfortable time for me to reach Lalit Ashok as I reach home only by around 6pm, after work. The Fiat Launch was a family driven event. I was probably among the few who went without the family or anyone. The majority of owners who had come were with their friends or family. Anyway, I reached home, had a quick shower and hit the road for Lalit Ashok. This was at around 625pm. I had no hope of reaching there on time but I kinda did. Was in the hall where the event was taking place just 7 minutes late. As with everything in Bangalore, nothing ever starts on time. I was the 4th person to arrive and it was a painful 55 minute wait for Radio Jockey Prithvi to start the event. The turn out was good. I would say 400 people in total.

The event started off with a dance number by some funny sounding group. It had a traditional dancer and some hip hop fellas jumping around the stage. This dance group came out a few more times during the event. Different styles and with partners.

Radio Jockey Prithvi was probably the one man who made a difference to the show. He can interact very well and get the crowd going.

There was a questions and answer session and prizes were being handed out for the correct answer. Don't know what they were handing out. A couple of questions did turn out challenging and even I did not know who were the 3 motor car companies in the Fiat Group. You have Lancia, Alfa Romeo & Ferrari . Is this correct? One chap went onto say General Motors. That is a tie up.

Most of the questions were easy but some of the non Fiat heads did get it wrong. I gotto say, the passion was flowing in the show. There were lovers of the brand and then some who were just casual Fiat car owners.

There was a point when a few owners were asked about their experience. I was worried for a bit if someone would throw a tantrum on service but there was none. Each and everyone of them thanked Fiat for the excellent cars they build. There were some owners who had 3 Fiat cars, the gentleman next to me owned two Grande Punto's. The second one being the 90 horse power.

More than pulling the covers off the new cars, I was looking forward to meeting Fiat executives and there were about 5 of them. I met two of them. A Mr. Ravi G Bahtia Vice President, Commercial and Mr. Salil Narang Corprate, Network Development. Among the 5 Fiat folks who were present, Mr. Ravi spoke the best. The first gentleman who came on stage, can't remember his name was in charge of Product Development. I was shocked when he came up on stage and started talking. You could barely understand what he was saying. His English was terrible. For a company senior executive, standing on on leg, wearing a suit and a tie and addressing an audience, was unacceptable for me. If these are the chaps Fiat India employs, well good luck with any real progress in terms of product development.

Next up was a gentleman who came up and spoke a little about Fiat India's second innings and how the road map has been so far. Nothing about the future though. He did a nice comparison chart of how the models and variants stack up compared to the 2011 editions. In the case of the Linea Diesel, the Dynamic variant has all the bells and whistles of the previous Emotion Pack including ABS and Airbags. The Emotion variant brings on features of the T Jet and that is 16 inch wheels and leather upholstery. There was no mention of 2012 T Jet and it was something I forgot to ask when I met some of the executives. One other thing is very clear now, the imporvements that Fiat India have categorised as Quality Improvements are Ground Clearance and improved Air Conditioning. There is absolutely no change or improvements in plastic quality. I can't say for the rest, my T Jet is holding realy well. The new air conditioning was tested in 48 degree Rajasthan heat is what I was told. Noise, Vibration and Harshness or NVH improved only on the Diesels. The petrols never suffered from this problem anyway.

After all the talk, some entertainment and pulling off the covers of the Oceanic Blue cars, it was time for some spirits and dinner. I was surprised to find the former. I was in no hurry to eat and drink and went up immediately to meet the one man who could talk and that was Mr. Ravi G Bhatia. I told him that the initiative was really good and that they need to pull their socks up when it comes to service. Mr. Ravi agreed before I could even finish what I was about to say. I did mention the shortage of spare parts some of us were facing, one gentleman waiting for weeks for a wheel bearing to arrive. Mr. Ravi said, they have still not settled down in terms of stocking parts at the wearhouse after the fire that took place 5 months ago. Infact, things have just started falling in order and the spare part shortage issues should be over. I did speak to him about inconsistent service experience to which Mr. Ravi agreed that this is also being addressed. I told him, it was unacceptable for a car owner who spends 12 lacs to walk into a garage filled with Tata cabs and their drivers (which is true in the case of Bangalore and my experience at KHT) all over the place. Mr. Ravi did mention that they are opening their first Fiat only service outlet in 5 months. I did not ask where. I did suggest for a seperate customer area for Fiat cars at the existing workshops. Mr. Ravi said that the reason they have not opened dedicated outlets is due to their low volumes, that it does not justify in terms of cost to the company and that the presence of TATA workshops is itself a big help for Fiat India. Mr. Ravi had very high praises for Mr. Mangesh Kodalkar and said that he takes customer service seriously and does everything in his ability to solve issues. Mangesh is the back bone for customer support for Fiat India. I have personally not had very prompt and to the point responses with Mr. Mangesh.

After my short conversation with Mr. Ravi, I went and stood in line for some dinner. There were decent spirits for the evening but I decided not to head for the counter. Dinner was good. I met Mr. Tauceef from KHT Motors and the lady from Aadya Motors who gave me the test drive. I just can't remember her name.

What felt really good was when it was time to leave. The walk leading to my car felt so awesome. Fiat's everywhere. Quite a few T Jets too. The parking lot was filled with Grande Puntos. I gotto say, the Grande Punto is without doubt the best looking small car there is on our roads. I doubt if anything will be able to de throne it even a few years down the line. That sharp front nose and the overall profile of the car is just awesome. I got into my car, called a Fiat pal to tell him what he missed and then drove off feeling really good. The crowd that attended this event was not just casual car owners. They were Fiat heads who loved their cars and loved driving. All the conversations I could over hear were towards passion for the brand, what they make and the love for cars. One gentleman got up, called out his saleman's name (who was also present) from Concorde and thanked him for the grand delivery day treatment he was given. He was sounding so emotional about it, it was as if he had never experienced anything like it. This is what makes owning a car special and I want Fiat India to listen up.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-p1030173_r.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-p1030174_r.jpg  

Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-p1030176_r.jpg  

sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 12:52   #847
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Formal launch event for 2012 editions of the Grand Punto and Linea

Thanks for the report.
I think Fiat is taking this launch to all important Cities. They did do a formal launch in Chennai on 2nd February 2012 at Hotel Green Park, Vadapalani, Chennai.
Old 26th February 2012, 13:08   #848
BHPian

Thanks for the report sandeep! Really nice, would have loved to get some info on the 2012 t-jet as thats might well be my next car. Nice to know that fiat is seriously thining of fiat only service centres, should do a world of good. Such interactions only strengthen the brand image of the company and then there are brand ambassadors like yourself and other fiat fans who would keep up the spirit and that would make sure that the company gets going inspite of a poor show in terms of sales.
Old 26th February 2012, 13:12   #849
Senior - BHPian

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion on the 2012 Punto test-drive thread (Fiat Grande Punto 2012: First Drive). Thanks

Even I was there. The event did not meet my expectations.

1. First two speakers were plain boring. I expected the speakers to represent the personality the cars they have. However, I felt that they were being forced to work beyond working hours on a Friday. They had no passion. If half the top management is like this, that explains why Fiat is taking wrong steps time and again.

2. Where was the Q&A session for the guests? That was one opportunity for the management to speak directly to the customers. Why did they omit it? Were they afraid of the questions from loyal Fiat fans and regular Fiat customers? Well, my point 1 should explain that!

3. I could clearly see the tape holding the 'Punto' board to the front bumper. Come on organisers, you can't make such mistakes in presentation! The beauty of the whole car is lost because of one small scar there.

4. I have had bitter experiences with the venue itself. So, lesser said the better about it.

5. The dancers were awesome. The last dance had them waving a few flags. Why were they waving plain white satin flags? I would have loved to see Fiat logo on those flags.

6. There was crowd to check out the cars after the unveiling. So I went for dinner first, and then to see the cars. By then the cars were locked. At that time, still most of the crowd had not departed yet.

EDIT: I won a Fiat coffee mug for answering where in India is Fiat's manufacturing unit. Here is a photo of it:
Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched-476710_10150567359559147_553179146_9035792_954905504_o.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2012 at 10:52. Reason: Adding link to review thread
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread