Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th December 2011, 16:25   #76

Default re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Look, irrespective of what people say, when FIAT launch a car or even an upgrade, it is going to create a lot of enthusiasm. Take for example the thread on the punto test drive.
FIAT service has come a long way. I'm incredibly happy with Prerna Motors, Bangalore. Even after this, the common man assumes and preaches that FIAT is pathetic. Why? because they have long clutch travel, bad interior quality, bad ergonomics, bad fuel efficiency.
I've owned 3 FIAT cars, let me explain. the clutch travel maybe long but the biting point is low and that's what maters.
The interior quality as such is good, its only the fit and finish that lacks.
FIAT petrol cars may not perform too well in terms of FE but the diesels are just brilliant. The diesel Punto for instance may still give a little lesser FE when compared to the swift. That's because the punto is heavier. Having said that, you feel a lot safer in the punto, it literally handles like a dream and the car sticks to the road. Thus, as a package, I feel the punto is a much better car than its competitors. But on saying that, all that the common man looks at is FE and that 1 - 2.5 kmpl inferiority in FIAT matters to him.
Coming to the handling and ride quality, oxyzen said that the cars aren't "fun". Let me tell you buddy, whats "fun" for one man may not be for another.
At the end of the day, if you own a FIAT, you're getting a car that has bad ergonomics and interior fit and finish, but on the other hand you're getting a car that is mechanically sound, has good FE, good ride quality, good handling, practicality, character and let's face it FIATs are just gorgeous! and if you haven't noticed, FIAT is one of the few brands in india that makes cars that handle extremely well AND are extremely comfortable.
The only thing that has to change is the perception of the people!
ihmisohjus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 23:28   #77
BHPian

I am not sure what we mean by poor quality interiors. My T-Jet is now 15.5k kms old now and has almost undergone very harsh treatment in terms of driving in bad roads esp. off late in Chennai monsoons and in highways that are sometimes non-existant. And trust me, nothing has fallen apart or nothing is rattling/sqeaking. I assume "bad quality" plastics will result in broken interiors / things falling apart or severe rattling. I am not talking about looks here - they are subjective. For e.g. my wife was dead against City interiors bcoz she felt it like a ninja style car wherein she liked Linea because of professional/classic looks.

Major issues (things breaking or noisy interiors - bad rattling) has not happened in my earlier linea too (MJD) which did 30k kms in close to a year. I did have some minor rattling which was fixed duly in services. I have heard such noises in City/Vento and Octavia's as well or even in Mercs/Bimmers when I drive in US.

I also drive a RITZ which has done 7000kms and trust me - too many rattles. Previous to Linea I was driving a Swift which I sold primarily bcoz of severe rattles.

Just curious to know - What do we mean by poor quality interiors.. am confused after reading numerous posts on bad interiors in Linea (esp. on the quality part). Hope it is not that we are expecting the quality of a Bentley in a 10 L car!

or if we say, the Glove box is flimsy in a Linea and Rigid in rest of cars... the "Flimsy" glove box has not fallen apart in my T-Jet or in my previous MJD.. however way it was driven.. and by the way I also use the glove box like the way others use - not that I have "feather like soft" hands

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 9th December 2011 at 23:36.
Sathya_sc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 00:15   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joommen View Post
Fiat is happy with other manufacturers queuing up for their Diesel engine but I suppose their own engine gives less KM/litre when its on a Fiat body than on Maruti; strange isn't it?
Not particularly correct.
Punto owners are very easily getting 20-22kmpl under Highway conditions, even more are reported from them with lighter foot driving.
While I haven't heard much about Swift delivering more than 18-20kmpl in Normal routine driving. Though Swift is having lighter body but Surprisingly I haven't came across the magical FE figures from Swift owners.
Even My friend's Vento delivers 20-22kmpl with utmost ease.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 02:25   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Just curious to know - What do we mean by poor quality interiors.. am confused after reading numerous posts on bad interiors in Linea (esp. on the quality part). Hope it is not that we are expecting the quality of a Bentley in a 10 L car!
or if we say, the Glove box is flimsy in a Linea and Rigid in rest of cars... the "Flimsy" glove box has not fallen apart in my T-Jet or in my previous MJD.. however way it was driven.. and by the way I also use the glove box like the way others use - not that I have "feather like soft" hands
Thanks Satya! Quite a valid point there. These kinds of feedbacks really matters. For me, the interior quality is best measured by the longevity of the interior bits and not by the Pizzazz when the car is showroom fresh.

I personally feel Fiat cars are no less than the competition, but unfortunately quite a few of the common man’s thought process goes like this – 10 lakhs for a Fiat! Why not I get a more premium X or Y brand (perception on brand is something so hard to change).

Anyway, do we have any details on what’s exactly new in the 2012 models?
Old 10th December 2011, 03:25   #80
Senior - BHPian

Note from Team-Bhp support: Kindly stick to the topic at hand, this thread is about the 2012 models, there are other threads where one can discuss product positives and negatives.
Amartya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 08:15   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I am not sure what we mean by poor quality interiors. My T-Jet is now 15.5k kms old now and has almost undergone very harsh treatment in terms of driving in bad roads esp. off late in Chennai monsoons and in highways that are sometimes non-existant. And trust me, nothing has fallen apart or nothing is rattling/sqeaking. I assume "bad quality" plastics will result in broken interiors / things falling apart or severe rattling. I am not talking about looks here - they are subjective. For e.g. my wife was dead against City interiors bcoz she felt it like a ninja style car wherein she liked Linea because of professional/classic looks.

Major issues (things breaking or noisy interiors - bad rattling) has not happened in my earlier linea too (MJD) which did 30k kms in close to a year. I did have some minor rattling which was fixed duly in services. I have heard such noises in City/Vento and Octavia's as well or even in Mercs/Bimmers when I drive in US.

I also drive a RITZ which has done 7000kms and trust me - too many rattles. Previous to Linea I was driving a Swift which I sold primarily bcoz of severe rattles.

Like I said in my previous post, the quality as such is good. only in a certain cars there is bad finish. I for one have never had anything fall apart in my car neither have i had any rattles. But its for those few who say the finish is pathetic, 2012 upgrades are here to address.
Old 10th December 2011, 10:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

FIAT already has pretty good cars in its line-up. They could do with better features and quality though. Is the 'Black+Beige' interiors from the T-Jet filtering down to the other models as well? And better Alloy design? Good then But FIAT has to look beyond its product range seriously, How about unveiling 2012 FIAT brand outlets on Jan 3rd??
Old 10th December 2011, 15:37   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
FIAT already has pretty good cars in its line-up. They could do with better features and quality though.
I think Fiat cars have almost all features that are commonly used by hatchback users. So not sure what additional features can be added.

The ones I can think of are
1. Electrically folding ORVM
2. Sunroof
3. Auto Transmission option
4. 6 Airbags

These features aren't real deal breakers though.

I hope Fiat offers a different color scheme for interior in 2012 models and please set up separate workshops (rather than Cafes) specializing in servicing Fiat cars.
Old 10th December 2011, 16:05   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
I think Fiat cars have almost all features that are commonly used by hatchback users. So not sure what additional features can be added.

The ones I can think of are
1. Electrically folding ORVM
2. Sunroof
3. Auto Transmission option
4. 6 Airbags

These features aren't real deal breakers though.

I hope Fiat offers a different color scheme for interior in 2012 models and please set up separate workshops (rather than Cafes) specializing in servicing Fiat cars.
I do agree they have pretty well equipped cars, but what i meant was that, only the top variants are loaded. So thought FIAT cold use this opportunity to cascade the features down to the lower variants too.

And FIAT, please for God sake throw the existing Music system out and get a decent ICE for the 2012 cars. The audio quality from the stock system would be surpassed by cars from two segments below!
Old 11th December 2011, 13:05   #85
BHPian

I want to see Safety features at least as an option in both the Linea and the Punto. It can only increase Fiat's sales!

I ended up booking the Jazz X (Top-end) for my next car instead of a probable Linea MJD (Choice of fuel be damned) since the Dynamic variant I wanted had no ABS/Airbags (no option even), and the Emotion was getting beyond budget.

Candidates like me who are still awaiting a Jazz delivery can surely jump back to Linea MJD if a safety kit was available at least as an option!!
Old 11th December 2011, 13:39   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
I want to see Safety features at least as an option in both the Linea and the Punto. It can only increase Fiat's sales!

I ended up booking the Jazz X (Top-end) for my next car instead of a probable Linea MJD (Choice of fuel be damned) since the Dynamic variant I wanted had no ABS/Airbags (no option even), and the Emotion was getting beyond budget.

Candidates like me who are still awaiting a Jazz delivery can surely jump back to Linea MJD if a safety kit was available at least as an option!!
My friend, you are comparing pricing of a sedan (linea) with the hatch (jazz) here. You could have got punto emotion/ep at almost the same price to jazz with required safety features. If you want to compare, compare the City with the Linea price to price, not the jazz.
Old 11th December 2011, 13:58   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413

Pardon me, but I find your post rather aamusing. Both Punto and Linea Emotion offer ABS+EBD+BA and E. Pk variants have front airbags in addition. No other vehicle in the respective segment provides more safety features (except for the i20 with 6 airbags). Your Jazz too has only the same, and at a considerably higher price than the Punto, which is in the same segment.
If you think Fiat should offer all safety features in all trims but not charge for those, that might not be feasible as they probably are working with a very small profit margin per car. You simply are asking for too much.
one-77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 16:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

@abhi413, in addition to what one-77 has said, you are comparing Jazz, a hatch with Linea, a sedan. No wonder it was beyond budget. There's no point in having a postmortem now, but you should have checked Jazz v Punto EP and City v Linea.

I fully share the views expressed by one-77, and I suspect you are apparently taken for ride by some one. I am not flaming you but it looks like you bought your car via mail order.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 11th December 2011 at 16:18.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 17:44   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Pardon me, but I find your post rather aamusing. Both Punto and Linea Emotion offer ABS+EBD+BA and E. Pk variants have front airbags in addition. No other vehicle in the respective segment provides more safety features (except for the i20 with 6 airbags). Your Jazz too has only the same, and at a considerably higher price than the Punto, which is in the same segment.
If you think Fiat should offer all safety features in all trims but not charge for those, that might not be feasible as they probably are working with a very small profit margin per car. You simply are asking for too much.
Buddy actually I should be amused at your response! I think you couldn't decipher my post properly.

I was never in line for buying the Punto (too small for my needs), so what the GP E Pk offers makes little difference to me. I was interested in the Linea Dynamic, even Active, MJD. Thus I was talking about Safety features being available only in the lower variants of the Linea. I mean, just look at the Nissan Sunny - ABS is standard feature. Or the Etios: Safety features can be had as an add-on on lower variants. Time for Fiat to respond.

I have always loved Fiat cars and really want them to do well. However like most mortals I too have a limited wallet. Whoever said Fiat should not charge for Safety features? However, Linea Dynamic price + ABS cost would be much lower than Linea Emotion price tag, if you get my drift.

As for me asking too much, well it's my wallet, I will ask for the moon! And if Fiat cannot oblige me with safety features of a mid-variant Linea, I'll be more than happy to stick with the Honda Jazz (whenever it is delivered, that is)!

Unfortunately your response reflects exactly the mentality what car manufacturers exploit in India as on date - the thinking that safety features are an indulgence or for for the rich, and not a necessity.
Old 11th December 2011, 19:19   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
As for me asking too much, well it's my wallet, I will ask for the moon! And if Fiat cannot oblige me with safety features of a mid-variant Linea, I'll be more than happy to stick with the Honda Jazz (whenever it is delivered, that is)!

Unfortunately your response reflects exactly the mentality what car manufacturers exploit in India as on date - the thinking that safety features are an indulgence or for for the rich, and not a necessity.
Asking for moon just because it is your wallet is nice. It works, but not always ! You expected a sedan at a hatch's price ? And that too with all the features ? As far as your wallet is concerned, it is good for you. But the reality is that you might only get a hatch at that price (which you ultimately bought). Could have looked at Punto E Pack as well. Nothing wrong with those responses I believe. Peace !!

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 11th December 2011 at 19:20.
Closed Thread