Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th December 2011, 11:54   #1
BHPian

Smile Deadline of High security Number Plates (DELHI/Kerala/Manipur - 31st Dec 2011)

As per the news in today's TOI (Delhi edition), all the vehicles in Delhi, Kerala and Manipur, should bear High Security Number Plates by the year end. Separate deadlines for rest of the states.

Quote:
Implement high security number plates for vehicles by March 31, 2012: SC to states

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Thursday set March 31, 2012 as the deadline for states to implement the scheme for fixing high security registration plates (HSRP) in motor vehicles, while directing Delhi government to complete the process by this yearend.

"We extend the period for implementation of the scheme till December 31, 2011, by which date, all steps, complete in all respects, should be taken by the Delhi government," a bench of Chief Justice S H Kapadia and Justices A K Patnaik and Swatanter Kumar said.
Here is the link of the news:
Implement high security number plates for vehicles by March 31, 2012: SC to states - The Times of India

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2011 at 14:38. Reason: Keeping fair usage policy in mind, please only include an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks
Irish is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 12:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Deadline of High security Number Plates (DELHI/Kerala/Manipur - 31st Dec 2011)

The court took exception to non-filing of affidavits by Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Goa and Karnataka, who cited pending litigation relating to tender process as the reason. Dadra and Nagar Haveli has not even initiated the tender process.

Read through the text and found this (not sure what it means), but in karnataka i don't think they will be able to implement High Security number plates anytime soon (Purely looking at the speed at which this Govt functions).

Question if someone has figured this out, what happens if a Car registered in Karnataka (With normal number plates) enters state which has already mandated High security Number Plates?
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 12:17   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Deadline of High security Number Plates (DELHI/Kerala/Manipur - 31st Dec 2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The court took exception to non-filing of affidavits by Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Goa and Karnataka, who cited pending litigation relating to tender process as the reason. Dadra and Nagar Haveli has not even initiated the tender process.

Read through the text and found this (not sure what it means), but in karnataka i don't think they will be able to implement High Security number plates anytime soon (Purely looking at the speed at which this Govt functions).
These states did not file their replies in The Hon'ble Supreme Court Of India. I am not sure but the apex court must have asked all the states about the progress on this issue (high security number plates) in their respective states.

Quote:
Question if someone has figured this out, what happens if a Car registered in Karnataka (With normal number plates) enters state which has already mandated High security Number Plates?
This shall be 'dealt' with the same way like tinted glasses car enters a state (like Punjab) which have a rule of 100% visibility.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 12:34   #4
BHPian

Good to see this strong stand by the SC. Also cant help but laugh at the attitude of some states. (Maharashtra, Karnataka, Goa), who have not even bothered to file an affidavit-whatever that is. Shows the attitude of the concerned government and how seriously they take the SC's orders.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 12:42   #5
BHPian

Right. All said and done; this is a good thing. But what are the next steps? Do we contact one of those listed here? There's only one in Chennai, and when I enquired about a month back at a nearby garage, they had changed their name and were not supplying plates anymore!!!
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 12:55   #6
BHPian

While I am not sure how the stamping process of the HS plates would work, I am interested in knowing if all 4 wheelers have a common number plate 'blank' with the securing nut holes at the same place?

Otherwise you would need to have the right size blank or maybe get these number plates made to order increasing the overall time of get this implemented.

Sure hope there is some standardization brought in by manufacturers for this.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 13:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Good to see this strong stand by the SC. Also cant help but laugh at the attitude of some states. (Maharashtra, Karnataka, Goa), who have not even bothered to file an affidavit-whatever that is. Shows the attitude of the concerned government and how seriously they take the SC's orders.
If these states still not comply with the order then they may have to face the Contempt Of Court proceedings.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 17:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
While I am not sure how the stamping process of the HS plates would work, I am interested in knowing if all 4 wheelers have a common number plate 'blank' with the securing nut holes at the same place?

Otherwise you would need to have the right size blank or maybe get these number plates made to order increasing the overall time of get this implemented.

Sure hope there is some standardization brought in by manufacturers for this.
I have some similar queries. My number plate is in bad shape and I want to go for HSRP. Can I just go to some number plate shop and get this done? Or do I have to go to the authorized vendors only (I can't find any names from Pune in the link ).
How much will this cost?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 17:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa! This is sudden; I had no clue the deadlines were so close.

By the way, when the SC spoke of Delhi, was it Delhi (per se) or NCR? If NCR, then Gurgaon, NOIDA etc would have to conform to the rule as well.

Any one with knowledge of where one could source these plates in Gurgaon? Cost?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 17:50   #10
BHPian

Apart from the non removable screws which will eventually deface your number plate area, what other security do these plates offer ? Who will be able to decipher the difference between original & fake plates ? Its easy to pass a motion but, we have to look at the feasibility & usability of the solution as well.

I have a new car & I put a HSRP on the same which has all the things mentioned here. How can I confirm ir is origignal or fake ?
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 18:02   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Deadline of High security Number Plates (DELHI/Kerala/Manipur - 31st Dec 2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
This shall be 'dealt' with the same way like tinted glasses car enters a state (like Punjab) which have a rule of 100% visibility.

Cheers!
Irish
The Enforcement directorate of the Delhi Govt's Transport department would be rubbing their hands in glee and high-fiving each other right now.

But seriously, can someone complain against these buffoons? They are out on the gurgaon expressway every evening, wantonly stopping trucks/buses to extort money and only creating traffic snarls & safety hazards in the process?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 18:24   #12
BHPian

Good going but why not mumbai?! How will the RTO give these (HSRP) because it contains a unique code so will there be only one distributor?

Last edited by Y@SH : 9th December 2011 at 18:26.
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 18:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
How will the RTO give these (HSRP) because it contains a unique code so will there be only one distributor?
Licence to Print money! Start a company with the shares available to Politicians, Bureaucrats and their ilk. Give them the Sole All India Licence to make these plates. Real easy money.

Now let us think of the next big Con Job.
basky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 18:55   #14
BHPian

While I understand the reasons behind the security plates, I personally completely dislike the 'boring look' of these plates. I like the writing style of my current plates and would rather continue with them. I was hoping the concerned authorities would make use of whatever security measures they need too while giving people the freedom to choose their own writing style. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the case. Hope they allow us to choose our style.
carfreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 20:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
100% Visibility? The glasses of the Fiat Punto has its vibility marked as "Min 70%). It surely does not allow 100% Visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have some similar queries. My number plate is in bad shape and I want to go for HSRP. Can I just go to some number plate shop and get this done? Or do I have to go to the authorized vendors only
The procedure to get an HSRP is to pay the required fees and fill up the nominated form at the RTO under whom your car is registered. They would issue a challan, which has to be taken to the authorised shop, who would create the HSRP for you and fix the same in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
I have a new car & I put a HSRP on the same which has all the things mentioned here. How can I confirm ir is origignal or fake ?
Unless and until HSRPs are already mandatory in Delhi, its highly unlikely that the plates are genuine. HSRPs are issued through RTOs (following the procedure I have mentioned above). The HSRPs come in two pieces - one metal plate (each for the front and back) and one self-destructible sticker stuck on the front windshield. The plate would have a unique code as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Good going but why not mumbai?! How will the RTO give these (HSRP) because it contains a unique code so will there be only one distributor?
There can be more than distributor - all they need is an interconnected system, or access to a portal of the RTO concerned, where the distributor can generate the unique codes from.

In Kerala, dealers have access to the server of the RTO - they enter all the particulars of the vehicle into the website of the RTO. The MV Inspector just cross-checks if the particulars are correct! In a similar way, the distributors can be given access to a website/server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
While I understand the reasons behind the security plates, I personally completely dislike the 'boring look' of these plates. I like the writing style of my current plates and would rather continue with them. I was hoping the concerned authorities would make use of whatever security measures they need too while giving people the freedom to choose their own writing style. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the case. Hope they allow us to choose our style.
Unfortunately, in our country, Number plates are used to flaunt one's prestige. In the process, the vehicle's number plate are often unreadable - it because a hindrance in identifying vehicles involved in accidents. Uniform number plates are the only way to solve this problem.

AS an automobile enthusiast, we should understand this concern, and support this move of the government. Even now, people do not have the freedom to choose your style of number plate - there are laws to which your plates have to conform - sadly, law enforcers use this rule only as a way to extract bribes.

In Kerala, the number plate rule is strictly enforced for commercial vehicles - only painted number plates are allowed (stickering and printed plastic plates) are not allowed. Private vehicles are often caught for having fancy number plates.
binaiks is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote