Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th December 2011, 18:26   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Over 50% of Indian women feel unsafe on Indian roads

High Points

- According to a recently conducted NAVTEQ-TNS Survey, over 50% of Indian women feel unsafe on Indian roads. The study was done across key metropolitan cities in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata and included a total of 606 female participants between the ages of 18 and 45.

- 51% of Indian women surveyed feel unsafe travelling on Indian roads, and an overwhelming 73% of the women surveyed expressed fear for their physical safety when travelling at night.

- Delhi is ranked as the city in which women feel least comfortable traveling alone.

- Only 7% of the women surveyed viewed Mumbai as unsafe.

- Kolkata women feel safer than those in Delhi and Chennai.

- Chennai is viewed as being safer than Delhi, but not as safe as Mumbai.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 19:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Over 50% of Indian women feel unsafe on Indian roads

Did the study concentrate only on muggings and robberies, or did it also include accidents and vehicles not following road rules?
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 19:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Was bangalore included ? With psycho's like this guy out on roads, even i feel unsafe!

As expected, Delhi feels the most unsafe, but its interesting to note that Mumbai feels safer than Chennai. I somehow always felt chennai was safer.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 9th December 2011 at 19:19.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 20:26   #4
BHPian

This is a good thread. My wife has suffered humilaition on many occassions on Pune roads because of aggressive men drivers. She ahs been driving since 1985 and this is an issue.
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 20:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

The statistics isn't a surprise, as expected Mumbai came on top and Delhi bottom. It would be interesting to see how Bangalore would fare in the scheme of things. Did the survey included Bangalore as well?

Bangalore feels safer then Delhi but not as much as Mumbai is my opinion. Other places in India would be somewhere in between.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 21:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore was safe once upon a time but any more. Surprising that Mumbai is changing so rapidly. Delhi is undoubtedly the worst.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 21:24   #7
BHPian

I'm not a woman, but I feel unsafe in Delhi too. Way too much aggression on the roads (and off it). And the strange thing is, I was here 20 years ago and it was completely different.

To illustrate, there was a (fairly attractive) woman crossing the road today near Mahipalpur and the entire male population of the surrounding 50 meters was rendered brain dead for the minute she was in their field of view. Including the three cops stationed in their PCR Gypsy.

I wouldn't have given much for her chances to end up safely on the other side, had it been a smidgeon darker and less bustling. Even if the only men there were the cops. I don't even remember the last time I say a lady on a two-wheeler, for example. Except in West Delhi, where they can probably beat most men to within an inch of their lives.

I hear Bangalore is safer for the express reason that womenfolk don't venture out at night. Mumbai is far safer and I feel little fear if a girl is driving alone after dark. Of course the streets are still not safe, but carjackings/kidnappings are yet a rare thing there. Less idle/free time helps.
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 21:34   #8
dot
Senior - BHPian

This is not surprising.

Road rage is on a spectacular rise. I feel that people dont think for a second when they take law-in their hands. Touching, pushing, slapping, hitting is very common on our urban roads. This happens even before any arguement has broken down, it is the first action/reaction. I see auto rickshaw drivers raising hand against two-wheelers. Low income two wheeler riders fighting with office going folks who could be in two or four wheelers. Burly men in large four wheelers bullying and beating up anyone else.

It was not like this before. I think it is a result of social disparity and stress.

Last edited by dot : 9th December 2011 at 21:40.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 22:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunate and yet unsurprising.

Until not so long ago, most men in most parts of India still had the sense to behave themselves while in the vicinity of women; they'd speak in a better tone, conduct themselves slightly more decently.

However, now that bridge is fast filling up. On so many occasions, men speak to women in the same tone and behave as unruly as they would with men.

It's actually extremely disgusting to acknowledge this but the ego in men is fast bloating up even more.

I think more than stress and disparity, it is more to do with female empowerment -I don't think most men are capable of accepting it.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 00:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Chennai is safer because of better policing, nerds are there in every city. @shashank.nk, that biker in that video did not even pause for a sec before hurling his helmet at that car.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 00:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
High Points

- According to a recently conducted NAVTEQ-TNS Survey, over 50% of Indian women feel unsafe on Indian roads.
Which is conveniently done by a GPS company - that will somehow quote it as part of their selling strategy?

I agree we're not a very safe country but this is simply FUD by far, with a fair bit of amplifying & restating the obvious.

Can you kindly share a link that delves into details? I remain skeptical.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 02:36   #12
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Which is conveniently done by a GPS company - that will somehow quote it as part of their selling strategy?

I agree we're not a very safe country but this is simply FUD by far, with a fair bit of amplifying & restating the obvious.

Can you kindly share a link that delves into details? I remain skeptical.
This is so very true. Nowadays the press fails to distinguish between advertorials and actual journalism. Often I see the press self-praise themselves and significantly alter the news to favour themselves or push products for obtaining financial favours. And TOI is the leader in this shoddy bunch. Recently TOI was self praising their ecommerce website timesdeal for achieving 50k sales in a day. And then there was the article in zigwheels which pushed pidilite car care products without clearly indicating that it was an advertorial. Plain rubbish..

But I directionally agree with the results. Mumbai is the safest. Delhi is otherwise. But that's something we already know at a large level. The best way to avoid road rage is drive defensive and never get yourself in a situation where you have to confront someone.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 04:00   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

offtopic but in the above video this small brush with the bike causes the whole bumper to jolt out breaking all hinges .

I would only term it as fragile car.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 04:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Even a similar survey among cities couple of years back brought about similar conclusions.
State wise results then brought in another pointer. Kerala and Karnataka where literacy rates are higher were the most dangerous for women at night.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 07:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS

This is so very true. Nowadays the press fails to distinguish between advertorials and actual journalism. Often I see the press self-praise themselves and significantly alter the news to favour themselves or push products for obtaining financial favours. And TOI is the leader in this shoddy bunch. Recently TOI was self praising their ecommerce website timesdeal for achieving 50k sales in a day. And then there was the article in zigwheels which pushed pidilite car care products without clearly indicating that it was an advertorial. Plain rubbish..

But I directionally agree with the results. Mumbai is the safest. Delhi is otherwise. But that's something we already know at a large level. The best way to avoid road rage is drive defensive and never get yourself in a situation where you have to confront someone.
I further disagree. Here its not road rage but women's safety.

And as per my mother whose driven alone on these roads past 13 yrs or my sis who rode her activa all over Delhi for 8 years including a part time degree with her job - this is fear mongering at its best

PS : of course this isn't about late hours (say post 9 or so) where its purely individual perception. And yes mishaps can happen anytime but this advertorial was about general safety.
PPS : if things were really so bad they'd quote data not make up a survey. And we need to see how survey questions were worded as well.

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th December 2011 at 07:15.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote