Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th December 2011, 21:57   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Sunny DIESEL launched @ 7.98 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Somehow the comparo doesn't strike a chord to me. How did you select these variants? To me some of the prices are of the base variants & some are NOT base variants [Verna, Linea etc]? Or is it based on the features available ?

Edit:: I know SX4 VDi does NOT come with ABS, Airbags, Auto A/C etc, and the price you mentioned look like that of a VDi. Sunny diesel base variant scores better on features than a SX4 VDi at a lower price point.
It is based on the features, Rapid also has ABS,ACC,driver side airbag.
Vento was included being the price range because the top model is over 9.
i included the VDi price by mistake. SX4 ZDi 8,97,996
Old 13th December 2011, 22:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Nice comfortable car at a decent price. Engine seems to be decent on paper as well. But why did Nissan skip the lower variant? Would have helped increase their sales a bit more anyway.

A very healthy trend though- Manufacturers deciding to offer ABS as standard across their range, despite our Govt being pre-occupied with Fuel prices over occupant safety
Old 13th December 2011, 22:58   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Manza Aura ABS 7,13,819
Nissan Sunny 7,98,000
Vento Trendline 8,36,146

A lot of better options with much powerful engines are available in a max range of 90k. I won't even consider the sunny even if on a budget,instead the lower kitted Verna 1.4 would make more sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Somehow the comparo doesn't strike a chord to me. How did you select these variants? To me some of the prices are of the base variants & some are NOT base variants [Verna, Linea etc]? Or is it based on the features available ?
I agree with swiftnfurious. The price comparison is actually not correct since the cars differ on the feature list which actually goes in favour of the Sunny. For instance the Manza Aura ABS lacks dual air bags and ACC ( both standard on the Sunny I guess). Similarly the vento trendline is a barebone car with 4 wheels and a steering. VW really stripped it down. I haven't checked the detailed feature list of the other cars but we need to compare the proper models please.

This car is suddenly growing on me. The feature list is quite a large one in both the variants with the only major differences I could spot being the Alloys and the fog lamps. I am going to check out the car this weekend. When is our official review coming up?

Last edited by drmohitg : 13th December 2011 at 23:00.
Old 14th December 2011, 00:56   #64
BHPian

I find it is a bit overpriced. Not a good one from Nissan. If the car lives up to its expectation in terms of FE, maintainability, the overprice would justify itself. But otherwise, Nissan has a self made abyss.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:27   #65
BHPian

Just confirmed the OTR price for Bangalore from one dealer:

Sunny Diesel XL - Rs. 9.77 L
Sunny Diesel XV - Rs. 10.73 L

Delivery time 1 to 1.5 months
Old 14th December 2011, 21:13   #66
BHPian

The car hit the worst will be the Fiesta Classic (Top End) since a Sunny XL is more powerful, more spacious and priced 30k lower with almost equal kit ( just Alloys and Fogs missing).

Cross Shopping between the Etios is also a distinct possibility.

Edit: Another reason being that both the 1.4 TDCi on the Fiesta and the D4D on the Etios basically sound too clattery to be inside engine bays of modern C-Segmenters. The Logan/Verito in comparison is an order of magnitude more refined at low/cruise RPMs. Same can be easily expected from the Sunny.

Also what chance does the Tata Manza have against a similarly specced Jap car which also has similar interior space everywhere.

But the Rapid still takes the cake among the current crop.

Last edited by antz.bin : 14th December 2011 at 21:24.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 21:44   #67
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Its interesting to note that after the opening post, GTO has not really commented on the discussion that has ensued. Even the opening post is more of stating the facts and there is no "opinion" or "expert-comment" shared.

How do I read this? -> The official review of Sunny Diesel is just around the corner!
Old 14th December 2011, 21:57   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Also what chance does the Tata Manza have against a similarly specced Jap car which also has similar interior space everywhere.
Tata Manza has its Quadrajet range starting from 6.26L ex-Showroom. The Aura and Aura ABS are priced *MUCH* lower i.e. 6.7L and 7.13L compared to the base Sunny Diesel (source: carwale.com). This flexibility in range is what will help the Manza overcome competition. Only the Elan and Celebration models may get affected. Not sure, but i did hear TML offering some discounts over and above this. Plus their dealership/service network (however shoddy and incompetent) is spread across the country that Nissan cannot come close to (in terms of numbers).

As a product concept, the way I would want to position a car whose USP is space (and hence a rear seat ride) - I would launch a low/mid range model with fewer frills e.g. Airbags, Steering Controls, Powered Mirrors and try to capture the market for the "Driver" driven cars.

If my USP was driving pleasure, i would focus on adding more features which will primarily serve the person who is driving it and thus target it for the self driven market. Nissan may have bungled it here.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:50   #69
BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee tweeted this some time back

hormazdsorabjee: 1.5 litre, 84bhp Sunny diesel quite impressive. Here's a brief review

Last edited by designersf : 15th December 2011 at 13:53.
Old 15th December 2011, 15:36   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee tweeted this some time back

hormazdsorabjee: 1.5 litre, 84bhp Sunny diesel quite impressive. Here's a brief review
I still have to read a review in our India Auto mags which paints a car in bad light. Every car seems to be "impressive" for them. They have no credibility in my eyes.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 16:48   #71
BHPian

This is an interesting pricing!!! With all the features offered, buy the XL and fit it with the alloys and front fog lamps, can do with out the chrome handles and other stuff. It might just push the high end TATA manza customer for just that little extra. A detailed report on TBHP is eagerly awaited.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:21   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone compile a list of ex-showroom prices of the Sunny vs the Manza and Dzire?
I was driving back home when suddenly remembered I had made a mental note of checking out the Sunny. Went to the Nissan showroom and since it was dark and I was tired, I didn't ask for a TD. They had a bronze gray and a white Sunny on display and i think the car looks fantastic in the bronze gray shade. Thats the same shade as the grey shade in other cars which has recently become my favorite. Coming to the car I have always kind of liked the car's looks as a whole. It does look odd from some angles but overall looks are quite nice with its understated lines. The side profile can easily fool even the most experienced people into believing that the car is much longer then it actually is. It just looks too huge when viewed from the side.

The interiors are quite decent too. This was the first time when I sat inside any Nissan car and I felt that the interiors were pretty well screwed together. The circular/round theme doesn't look as bad as it appears in the pics. The best part is that they haven't deleted any features from the base model too although the top end model looks a lot nicer from inside with all its chrome, fabric and different coloured paneling on the side arm rests on the doors.

But the shocker came at the end when the SA gave me the price list. The sunny Diesel costs 9.09L and 9.9L respectively OTR in Delhi for the 2 diesel models. now this is a little too high I feel since the Vento TDI HL is only a 50k more I guess from the Sunny Diesel top end variant. How many people will go for the sunny is a little doubtful for me now since the only USP it has I feel is the humongous space at the back. But the Vento is not really short in rear space itself. Its got some decent leg room and head room at the back and just kills the Sunny at everything else from the looks to the Engine and the brand itself.

I think Nissan should have priced this car 50k less atleast to have made any worthwhile mark. I am kind of predicting discounts in the near future unless they are happy to be selling off around 1500 cars per month.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:43   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
They have no credibility in my eyes.
+1 to this. I was recently browsing through some shootout of the Petrol Etios v/s Petrol Sunny v/s Petrol Manza in one of these magazines (Auto BILD IIRC) and they had covered many aspects (which was very good), but how accurate the data/scoring was is debatable. IIRC, the last parameter was warranty package (separate from support and possible resale value) and Etios at 14/15 triumped Sunny at 12/15 and Manza at 9/15. Came back to the official review threads on the three cars for this specific aspect and here is what i found

Quote:
TOYOTA ETIOS
Warranty is the same 3 years / 100,000 kms coverage. No extended warranty options available.

NISSAN SUNNY
2 years / 50,000 kms standard warranty. The extended warranty adds another 30,000 kms and 2 years of coverage.

TATA MANZA
2 year / 75,000 kms warranty as standard. 4 year / 150,000 kms warranty available at an additional cost of Rs. 5,000 odd.
Just could not understand how they arrived at the scores they published. I guess most articles are meant to please the aam junta or probably some sponsors. Probably off-topic here, but thought of sharing. Guess no better review to trust than official Team-BHP reviews. How i wish they could come up with comparos. Wishful thinking
Old 25th December 2011, 17:15   #74
BHPian

Price of Nissan Sunny at Hyderabad as on 25-Dec-2011 :
Nissan Sunny DIESEL launched @ 7.98 Lakhs-nissansunny.jpg
# Delivery of Diesel Variants will commence from 15-Jan-2012
# Delivery is approximately after 3 weeks from the Date of Booking

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 25th December 2011 at 17:17.
Old 25th December 2011, 17:22   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Price of Nissan Sunny at Hyderabad as on 25-Dec-2011 :
Attachment 860484
# Delivery of Diesel Variants will commence from 15-Jan-2012
# Delivery is approximately after 3 weeks from the Date of Booking
The handling charges at 15.000/- is a total RIP OFF! Don't know, but these guys keep inventing new things to exploit the customers. And what does the standard accessories include?? Mud flaps, mats etc?? And a 6500/- for that as well?
Closed Thread