Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP members be role models for other motorists?
Yes, members can not/ should not lower the reputation of Team-BHP 23 50.00%
No, what members do with their vehicles/driving should not / cannot be the concern of Team-BHP 20 43.48%
Can't Say 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:15   #61
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Should Team-BHP members be role models for other motorists?

TBHP is a discussion forum, a medium for expression of thought and hence requires mainly writing skills. Driving on the other hand is a practical exercise and requires 2 skills - control of vehicle and communication with other road users.

These are unrelated skillsets. Some excel in both, some in one of these and few in neither of these. Yes, ideally TBHP members can be role models but in practice, it cannot be the case.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:32   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Because the size of Team-BHP community is so large - I would say that an average Team-BHP member has the same driving skills / safety consciousness /traffic law abiding nature as any other educated average Indian on the roads.

The threads / posts about above qualities form a minor percentage of overall team-bhp discussions.
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:39   #63

If I'm not wrong then those stickers are available for everyone to buy, be it a member or not. So the first question is how do you know if that person is really a member or not. He could also be a fan of T-bhp and bought a sticker to show his love.

Coming to the topic, we at T-bhp discuss things about road safety and we advise all to adhere to it. While personally I always try to drive legally, sometimes it becomes confusing whether to stick to the traffic rules and cause unwanted hazard or follow the others who are violating the rules in some particular situation just to be safe. You know when nobody is following rules and only you trying to adhere to the legal limits, it actually can cause damage and that is harsh reality as my fellow bhpians already pointed out above. But yes we should always try to be safe drivers and should also promote the same. But this topic is not limited to driving style alone. The forum can not take the responsibility for each and every member of what they are doing. Afterall this is not a rehab center where we can force everybody to do the same.
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Any action that's dependent on an external catalyst ceases to exist the moment the catalyst is withdrawn, so it doesn't matter how much one exhorts responsible behavior externally, it will work only if the person in question wants to behave properly. That applies to everything, not just driving.

I come across a lot of T-BHP stickered cars on the road (and I've seen plenty of badly driven ones), but my expectation from them is limited to possibly acknowledging common membership of this forum, if possible. As for driving, I make the same assumptions and observations for such cars, as I would with any other on the road when I'm around them.

Stickers aren't driving merit badges, they don't make us good/responsible drivers, good driving habits do.
Old 3rd February 2015, 13:19   #65

Ideally speaking, it should be. Since what we do share a same passion and love our machines, we should be taking care of them, bide street rules. But, i have seen many BHPians (not sure if they are members though) adorning TBHP stickers driving recklessly and dangerously. Hence i voted "Can't Say"
Closed Thread