Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2012, 15:04   #241
BHPian

Default Re: 2012 Honda City launched. Pics on page 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
Dear ARM chair activist, go out to the Honda showroom and measure to beleive
The minimum GC of 2012 model has been increased by 5mm from 160mm to 165mm. However maybe that at some spots(like where Tommie measured) the GC difference between the old and new model might be greater..however 2 inches is quite a lot and difficult to believe. Tommie, can you please share the tape measurement values of both the models?
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:12   #242
BHPian

I had gone to Southend Honda in Saket to see the new ANHC 2012. To be frank i am quite disappointed by the changes done. The Chrome on Central panel looks downright cheap, much similar to what auto walah's do with their autos. The changed color of central console adds dullness to the interior and the blue illumination just refuses to match with the overall orange colored central console. To be frank the facelift with only the changes in bumper, new ORVM's with indicators and a side protector would have been ideal. Even the new alloys don't match the sporty character of the City.
Seems like a desperate attempt by Honda.I own a ANHC and would have loved the new bumpers being added to my car. Apart from that there is not a single feature i would miss in my older ANHC.
Honda would not have needed so much effort, they could have just added a few items which they offer as accessories to the standard list. These could be
1. Side stem illuminated garnish
2. Side door protectors
3. The new grill that came as accessory
4. The original Honda alloys that came as accessory.
All this with an increase of say 15K and the city would have looked much more sophisticated.

Last edited by zoom_vroom : 2nd January 2012 at 15:15.
zoom_vroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:21   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
^^^
But it can't be 50 mm mate; 50 mm increase means that the car's GC is 210mm . A sedan off roader?

Dude, the old amby did not even have the GC that a ANHC has. But it never touched anywhere. One could argue that the Wheelbase is the culprit.
The GC is measured at the lowest point of the car to the ground. It is usually in the chassis and not in the body. In case of Honda city, the body was much lower which was probably in lines with the chassis. I have had several scratches on the base of my ANHC starting from Front bumper to Engine oil drain case to side running board to silencer to back bumper.

What is 50 mm is nothing but 5 cm. 5 centimeter is less than 2 inches which is less than the first two parts of your finger. By saying that ~5 cm increase in the running board does not mean that the GC is increased by 5cm. Both are different.

When I used to drive an esteem many years back, I had used spacers to improver the GC of the body which was one of the cars that used to have low GC during those days. Similarly during the biking days, we used extra rods to increase the height of bikes like RX 100 for the rear seats and new rods for the front suspension. So if someone says, it is impossible to increase the GC for a Honda city, I would not believe them. However, whether it can have the same behavior for the car such as high speed balance, low body roll by this modification can be discussed.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:55   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, the old amby did not even have the GC that a ANHC has. But it never touched anywhere.
When I used to drive an esteem many years back, I had used spacers to improver the GC of the body which was one of the cars that used to have low GC during those days. ....
However, whether it can have the same behavior for the car such as high speed balance, low body roll by this modification can be discussed.
I agree. The problem in ANHC I believe is a combination of low GC and soft suspension. So the spacers would help reducing the effect of the soft suspension.
We were once traveling 5 people in a car to a restaurant. The car scraped slightly. On the way back after eating to our heart's fill, the car scraped more . The effect of filled tummies on the super soft suspension. The spacers would have helped in this case I guess. There is a full thread discussing spacers in this forum. But I am not going to get it done, thanks to the warranty sword which Honda always holds.
That said, if the face lift City has slightly higher GC, with same soft suspension, the difference will be very little. We may still see it scrape when fully loaded.
Old 4th January 2012, 14:32   #245
BHPian

Can someone confirm if there is any difference between the V-AT and V-AT Sunroof model except the sunroof? The price difference is 80k so I assume the sunroof variant might have one or two more features more along with the sunroof. Also is it possible to get the touchscreen audio system like the one you get with the civic and accord now?
Old 4th January 2012, 14:56   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Can someone confirm if there is any difference between the V-AT and V-AT Sunroof model except the sunroof? The price difference is 80k so I assume the sunroof variant might have one or two more features more along with the sunroof. Also is it possible to get the touchscreen audio system like the one you get with the civic and accord now?
The difference is only sunroof and leather seats. If you want a tocuhscreen, go for Caska, it fits well and you will get many other gadgets like GPS, reverse cam, bluetooth etc.

Last edited by pamishra : 4th January 2012 at 14:58.
pamishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 19:25   #247
BHPian

A question on City CE. When I checked with a dealer in Madurai, the sale exec was saying CE can be booked only by people working in corporates, govt etc. It means, individuals who run own business cannot book CE. Is that true?
Old 4th January 2012, 19:56   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
The difference is only sunroof and leather seats. If you want a tocuhscreen, go for Caska, it fits well and you will get many other gadgets like GPS, reverse cam, bluetooth etc.
I thought that the leather seats are available on the V-AT variant as well and not just the one with the sunroof.

I think the civic touchscreen HU might be better sounding and can be fitted on the city as well as both the HU's, civic's and city's, are almost similar in size. The caska HU looks good but heard they aren't great when it comes to sound quality.

The sunroof sounds good and tempting but am scared what if they start leaking after sometime. Then to attach tapes and all that is horrible. I have had a bad experience of a water leaking sunroof years back on one of my cars. I haven't finalised the city yet but its definitely a top contender on my radar.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:48   #249
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSteer View Post
A question on City CE. When I checked with a dealer in Madurai, the sale exec was saying CE can be booked only by people working in corporates, govt etc. It means, individuals who run own business cannot book CE. Is that true?
What rubbish!

This is another gem from Honda dealers. One told me that CE is only available in the 2 new colours -- brown and red. I think he didn't understand the brochure that these are 2 new colours available.

Anyway, Corporate Edition should be free for all. Nowhere is it mentioned on Honda's site or in any promotional literature that it's specially for people working corporate jobs. :P That would be ridiculous. And in any case, how would they know whether you are running a business or working somewhere? This information is not required when you go for booking your car.
Old 4th January 2012, 21:08   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought that the leather seats are available on the V-AT variant as well and not just the one with the sunroof.
No, leather seats were available only with V-AT (Exclusive) edition IIRC, I think difference between old and Facelift AT is not Sunroof only but Cruise control + OVRMs with Indicators (which adds to cost).

Last edited by carwatcher : 4th January 2012 at 21:09.
Old 4th January 2012, 22:18   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Other than the sunroof (but of course), the other differences are Leather Upholstery, Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel & Leather Wrapped Gear Shift Knob.

Plus, you don't get the last one (Leather Gear Shift Knob) in the V AT Sunroof model. Only the V MT Sunroof gets that one.

The normal V AT (without the Sunroof) doesn't get any of the leather.

From the official Brochure:

2012 Honda City launched. Pics on page 11-untitled.jpg

(Click on the pic to open in a new window)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSteer View Post
Absolute hogwash. Anyone can get the Corporate Edition.
Old 5th January 2012, 12:00   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
What rubbish!
This is another gem from Honda dealers. One told me that CE is only available in the 2 new colours -- brown and red. I think he didn't understand the brochure that these are 2 new colours available.

Anyway, Corporate Edition should be free for all. Nowhere is it mentioned on Honda's site or in any promotional literature that it's specially for people working corporate jobs. :P That would be ridiculous. And in any case, how would they know whether you are running a business or working somewhere? This information is not required when you go for booking your car.
This was expected. See my comment below on the CE edition launch

Quote:
Actually, this is an eye-washer technique by Honda Marketing to attract people to their showrooms and say that we start at 6.99 sedan. Naturally, once a person sees that the next version has some additional features they would go for it. Honda is playing on the Indian psychology especially from the after the learning they had from E-MT model. It was the least selling model and Honda even considered to withdraw the model.My recommendation is buy Corporate edition and get rest of the accessories with After market fitment.
I would recommend that every one buy the new Honda City the CE edition ONLY unless you are looking for Automatic/Cruise Control feature and teach Honda that Indians are smart in numbers and dont go with eye-wash marketing CE launch.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:03   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend that every one buy the new Honda City the CE edition ONLY unless you are looking for Automatic/Cruise Control feature and teach Honda that Indians are smart in numbers and dont go with eye-wash marketing CE launch.
I didn't quite understand what you are trying to convey. They launched a CE variant and that enabled them to launch the City at a great entry price. The icing on the cake is that they didn't shy away from giving you ABS and Airbags even on the CE variant. The rest of the accessories as you rightly said can be purchased in the after market shops of your choice, at a very competitive price and according to your needs. Which part of this is eye washing? Each model will keep getting pricier with some additional features. This is the way cars are marketed in each segment if I am not wrong. Eye washing is the way some other car makers have launched there products recently like Toyota where they just launch a basic variant aimed at the Taxi segment and claim the limelight that the lower price tag brings them. These basic variants are sometimes even devoid of power steering and are real stripped down boxes with 4 wheels to be honest.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 22:18   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Which part of this is eye washing?
The fact that they launched CE model on the pricelist but not making it available for selling when some customer asks for it is the first eye-washing part. As mentioned in my earlier posts, Honda is not expecting or wanting to sell the CE variant. I think the dealer commissions are not good for CE and E variants which makes it the second eye-wash.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:46   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The fact that they launched CE model on the pricelist but not making it available for selling when some customer asks for it is the first eye-washing part. As mentioned in my earlier posts, Honda is not expecting or wanting to sell the CE variant. I think the dealer commissions are not good for CE and E variants which makes it the second eye-wash.
Many members have already booked the CE variant mate. Just go back a couple of pages of this thread and you will see there posts. This particular case is a dealer's way of cheating. Ofcourse the dealer will get more profits in selling the higher variants. But I doubt if Honda has any role in this and you cannot call it eye-washing on there part. Infact given there current state of affairs they will be more then happy to even sell CE variants and somehow regain the lost market share. But dealers across the board are a rotten lot and can cook up any number of stories to fox the customer into buying a higher spec variant.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread