Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th December 2011, 16:33   #46
BHPian

Default re: 2012 Honda City launched. Pics on page 11

I also believe that the pre facelift City looks better and more elegant; and given the fact there are now hefty discounts on pre facelift model, it makes for a very good value proposition. City, still, no doubt remains the best petrol sedan in this category but I expected Honda to play more competitive and offer ACC and Rear Disk Brakes at the least.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:37   #47
BANNED

the new city looks more awesome, specs suggest that they have increased the length and Ground clearance, GC was an important aspect, the sun roof is a real turn on too. kudos Honda team
Old 14th December 2011, 16:42   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
How about an upgrade to 205/50/R16 on a City, the mileage will be affected (not marginal)but is gives you a lot of confidence in every other way, and the error is only .5%. I don't buy the argument that mileage is affected negligibly with wider tyres, stock Fiesta tyres were MRFs and the mileage was awesome, once we upsized to 195 section Potenza/Assurance, there was an immediate 2 kmpl drop . Tyre upgrades are a must if you have lousy, mileage-oriented stock tyres, one accident vaporizes all that fuel economy savings. Now we are

A wider tyre or larger wheel will increase rolling-resistance and the tyre's contact patch on the road. The wider you go, the lesser the FE gets.

The City's stock size of 175/65 R15" should allow for mileage figures of 12-14 km/h in city-limits on an average if driven sedately. Up-sizing to wider tyres such as 195/55 R 15" will improve the handling, but the FE will see a drop of around 0.5 km/l, and not more.

Going in for larger wheels like 16" coupled with even wider tyres such as 205/50 R16 will reduce the mileage even further, but by no means will it drop down by 2 km/l, unless the car is being pushed harder for a definite period.

Remember, the FE of a car is directly proportional to the amount of throttle you feed the car. Even modifications like exhausts and performance filters are known to be the reasons for drop in FE figures, but that's not because of the parts solely. The person behind the wheel will generally be more enthusiastic after the mods, and that will directly affect the FE figures.

Drive a car fitted with a sports-exhaust sedately, and you'll see that the FE won't really plummet. Driving habits have a lot to do with mileage figures at the end of the day.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

My City is running on 195/60 R15 Bridgestoe Potenza's and there is no difference in mileage from stock ones.

The car came with Michelin tyres and on the way to Panchgani both the front tyres blew when the car went into a pothole at reasonable speeds of about 60kmph! Luckily, one tyre blew on the way to Panchagani and the other on the way back.

As for this City upgrade, except for the sunroof & ORVM integrated with blinker's there is nothing interesting to talk about. I would say it's a typical Honda refresh.

Last edited by amit : 14th December 2011 at 16:58.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:06   #50
BHPian

I was talking about the Fiesta, 68BHP and a wider patch with around 10% drop in fuel efficiency, (matches the upsize tread variation). 2kmpl wasn't drastic, its not petrol so we are talking about 17kmpl average. Cars with upsized tyres tend to give lower fuel economy, that's mostly because enthusiasts go for these mods, and FE doesn't (shouldn't) top their list of priorities.

Anyway the city is a car that is mod friendly, Honda fans and those who can afford the petrol will surely have options to improve their rides.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Any Honda City owners here looking for "Trade In" ?
LOL! Are you kidding?

There is nothing in this variant that any current gen Honda City owner will replace their current car.

Of course, Yes, Things would have been different if the facelift came with diesel engine.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 17:31   #52
BHPian

Doesn't the sun roof open fully? Has anyone seen it in operation?

BH.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
My City is running on 195/60 R15 Bridgestoe Potenza's and there is no difference in mileage from stock ones.
I would confirm that, I have 195 too on mine and I get 12.5 in the City (BLR) and 15 in the Highway. You will feel a little tighter (if you are keen to observe) to steer, but no other side effect.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:43   #54
BHPian

Other car makers should take a cue from Honda on how to keep existing customers happy

I bought the City 4 months ago, being skeptical on what I would lose when the new models come out.

But Honda has made sure I am not very unhappy:
* Sun Roof - I could always get it done as an accessory - 59K at the showroom.
* Repeaters on OVRMs - 8K accessory in showroom for old model
* Cruise Control - Where do I use it? The past weekend trip to Mysore saw me averaging a pathetic 50kmph...I guess this would be of some use only on the GQ.

What existing owners may miss:
* the slightly higher ground clearance
* blue lit instrument panel (purely personal choice, the current Orange is not bad either)
* the new color choices
* A little bit of chrome here and there.
* Better looking tail lamps.

Most changes being cosmetic, people who waited for the new model may not appreciate this much. I do not expect this "facelift" to attract more customers compared to the previous model. Still, only customers in market for a Petrol Sedan would go for this car, which is a shrinking number IMHO.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:45   #55
BHPian

I like the new City (I am an City 2009 owner). This makes the City the best Petrol sedan in its class. If you compare it with any other Petrol sedan expect for the GC it scores is all other area and with the sun roof makes it truly premium. Why, its a clear differentiator from rest of the sedans. When you have 10K and you want to buy a petrol sedan, what truly makes you feel up-class!
Old 14th December 2011, 17:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
* blue lit instrument panel (purely personal choice, the current Orange is not bad either)
And that will look so out of place if the LCD of music system is orange back lit.

There is no doubt that a new model is always better but there is nothing as such that we the current gen owners need to worry about.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:53   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
the new city looks more awesome, specs suggest that they have increased the length and Ground clearance, GC was an important aspect, the sun roof is a real turn on too. kudos Honda team
Being a s City owner i would agree the only thing here that i would miss is the GC. Other wise i think old city is good enough.

Btw. Can we get the GC on old city adjusted to the new one ?
Old 14th December 2011, 18:18   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
Btw. Can we get the GC on old city adjusted to the new one ?
5 mm is not a big deal so one should not worry to much.

And yes one can get suspension adjusted to suit their needs otherwise ground clearance is OK for most Indian roads.

I have driven my car across Haryana (which is known for tall speed breakers) and found no problem with the GC of the car.

It is actually the soft suspension setup that is the culprit.
Old 14th December 2011, 18:27   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
5 mm is not a big deal so one should not worry to much.

And yes one can get suspension adjusted to suit their needs otherwise ground clearance is OK for most Indian roads.

I have driven my car across Haryana (which is known for tall speed breakers) and found no problem with the GC of the car.

It is actually the soft suspension setup that is the culprit.
I've faced the GC issue a lot in my dad's City ZX. Its so easy to get your underbelly grazed when the car has 5 (healthy) adults on-board. Is the City iVtec any better in this regard (both before and after the 5mm increase)?
Old 14th December 2011, 18:33   #60
Team-BHP Support

I love it!
  • That new rear lamp cluster is to die for;
  • The cruise control is something I sorely miss on my Vento;
  • That sunroof! I am such a sucker for this. Was seriously considering installing an aftermarket one in my VW but was advised against it;
  • Blue lighting instead of that garish orange would be really welcome.

Also, you guys are making too much of a deal about the lack of ACC. Climate control is great, sure- have it in the Vento- but the City's AC is pretty good, so what if it's a manual? This should not be a dealbreaker!

The price of the AT (Sunroof) is 10.22 lac ex-showroom which looks most attractive (almost exactly a lac more than I paid for my Vento last year).

Honda should have launched this a year ago, when VW was struggling with supply issues and everyone (self included) was looking for other options in that range (and failing badly). Good product, bad timing!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread