Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 14:05   #661
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Ohh I am sure they will go better. This was without any haggling, their off the counter rates. While for the dealers that's the final price.

But since they finally procure from the dealers itself, shouldn't the dealers be cheaper. I need to understand how it works.

Cheers
Mate, I am just making a logical guess now. If a dealer makes a sale though such a company, it would be with almost no overhead expenses. These companies would be a bit like bulk purchasers. Hence the dealers would be offering them very different rates. And these companies too would be going shopping to different dealers based on what rates etc they get.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 14:09   #662
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: LA <--> Bombay
Posts: 459
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Mate, I am just making a logical guess now. If a dealer makes a sale though such a company, it would be with almost no overhead expenses. These companies would be a bit like bulk purchasers. Hence the dealers would be offering them very different rates. And these companies too would be going shopping to different dealers based on what rates etc they get.
Hmm, I guess that makes sense. Why can't the dealers directly offer us those rates

Anyway, I have given up for June. Now will wait for July offers and wait / watch. In the meanwhile I am reading thru Reva reviews. I hope I don't start considering Reva

Cheers
sahakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 14:34   #663
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You know what, i would take it between these 3 in your case.
in order of preference.
1. i10
2. Wagon R
3. Ritz
How about a Punto? Wouldn't it better than either of these on the handling and highway safety front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Getting the VIN is no issue at all. I once got the VIN of a ANHC over the phone. I never even visited the dealership and for crying out loud he didn't even know who i was.
Honda is very open about giving VINs, from what I've noticed. In general, Honda dealerships will go all out to give you any info you request for (except for their margin on each sale -- I tried to get this but failed ).

It's the other aspects where they aren't that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
But I fail to understand, that if a direct marketing company can match a dealership offer, hell the dealership should be giving us a much better and transparent offer.
It's all about bulk ordering. Dealers see regular business from direct marking and leasing companies, and so are prepared to give discounts because they get a guaranteed, steady flow of lumpsum cash which they can promptly invest and hopefully earn their IRR/RoI sooner. The ability to plan investments earlier is valuable, and they pass some of this value back to bulk purchasers. Leasing companies for instance get a much larger discount from Honda than an individual - even one working for a large corporate - can. And as you've noted, this is just the beginning offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
I have one query, is there a way where we can get the genuine corporate discount for each model that Maruti offers. Every dealership i went to had a different number from 2000 to 4000 for A*. Shouldn't corporate discounts be transparent and same across dealerships.
Write to MUL. I think this depends from company to company. Honda sends out an email every once in a while to their dealerships advising them on the corporate discounts applicable. I was shown such an email - complete with details on the exact discount on each model of car to each company on their list of corporate tie-ups - when I was in the process of buying my car last year. It was extremely transparent and standard.

If it's left to the dealers however, it may yet be transparent in the case of some dealers at least, but definitely not standard across dealers. Dealers pushing out larger volumes will be able to give out larger discounts (same logic as outlined a couple of paragraphs above).

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 15:06   #664
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

I am also suggesting from a newbie driver friendly front. Its just that the three above mentioned have a good view of the road ahead and you are perched up higher. Especially with the marutis. This coupled with light controls make these great choices for first time drivers
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 15:18   #665
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,550
Thanked: 1,724 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

^^ For a first time driver, I would heartily recommend the Wagon R. It offers great road visibility as mentioned by mdsaab and a decent city ride. If you want a diesel, go for the Ritz.

Perhaps I should also recommend looking at some preowned cars if you have the time/ inclination. If you do, see you on the used car price check thread!
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 16:15   #666
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,461
Thanked: 3,085 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

For a new driver, my recommendation will be to go for the safest option in the price range - maybe a Punto, Fabia or a Figo.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 08:02   #667
BHPian
 
rrahul_2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 250
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You know what.....What's your exact budget?
Wagon I didnt find it fun to drive. Initially I did TD with just me and the sales person, it was ok. Later when I went with 4 of us in the car, it was cramped and car is very sluggish at lower gears. The older Wagon I had previously was damn good.

Yes- between i10 and Ritz is what I have to choose. Anyways I have the VIN number now for the Ritz D, have to check the date of manufacture.

I wanted to have a hard stop upto 6L on my budget (with basic accessories included like body cover, basic ICE, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
How about a Punto? Wouldn't it better than either of these on the handling and highway safety front?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For a new driver, my recommendation will be to go for the safest option in the price range - maybe a Punto, Fabia or a Figo.
Please dont mind, but I feel Punto, one hot hatch, but cant be newbie friendly. It is safe no doubt. Also its kind of out of my budget. Figo I did a TD, didnt find it as much fun to drive as the Fiat D engines. Petrol I guess other than the KSeries and Kappa, we dont have any strong contenders. Also resale is an important criteria due to the nature of my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Perhaps I should also recommend looking at some preowned cars if you have the time/ inclination. If you do, see you on the used car price check thread!
I did check preowned, but because of a new job and urgent need of car with an infant at home, am planning to get a new one. But somewhere I feel used is better because of limited choice of good samples, atleast beats the confusion I am having at the moment

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 30th June 2011 at 08:04.
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 08:07   #668
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Our buddy selfdrive, picked up a pre-owned Jazz. His jazz has even me drooling over it. Wonderful car with all the goodies one could ask for. BTW it fits in your budget too.

You seem pretty set on the Ritz D now, it's one that won't disappoint either.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 08:21   #669
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,461
Thanked: 3,085 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Please dont mind, but I feel Punto, one hot hatch, but cant be newbie friendly. It is safe no doubt. Also its kind of out of my budget. Figo I did a TD, didnt find it as much fun to drive as the Fiat D engines. Petrol I guess other than the KSeries and Kappa, we dont have any strong contenders. Also resale is an important criteria due to the nature of my job.

I did check preowned, but because of a new job and urgent need of car with an infant at home, am planning to get a new one. But somewhere I feel used is better because of limited choice of good samples, atleast beats the confusion I am having at the moment
Personally if I am buying a car for a Newbie, I will give feather-lite cars like Wagon-R a miss. And a Newbie driver will not remain in that state forever. In a couple of months s/he will get used to the car and then whether it’s a Punto, Swift, or Safari – does not really matter

If 6 lakhs is the hard stop, I will suggest to go with the i10, or Ritz (since you did not like the Figo). Or even better option is what Mdsaab suggested – look out for a good pre-owned Jazz. And it makes more sense with an infant at home.

Last edited by vb-san : 30th June 2011 at 08:22. Reason: tags removed
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 09:29   #670
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Ok now don't hit me for this.
i don't want to make you increase your budget, but this is quite a tempting offer.
The ANHC EMT which should work out to around 8L OTR. give or take a couple of thousands.
Now the controls are very light, perfect for the city. It comes with ABS and 2 Airbags as standard.
Quite a good enthusiasts car, so you will be happy with the driving dynamics.
available practically off the shelf
This is just a suggestion, budget comes first ofcourse.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 11:53   #671
BHPian
 
rrahul_2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 250
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

@MDSaab, I can see you taking me towards a divorce

Jokes apart, 8L for a petrol sedan I may not put despite the coveted H badge. And I have a house purchase also going on in parallel.
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 16:24   #672
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
@MDSaab, I can see you taking me towards a divorce

Jokes apart, 8L for a petrol sedan I may not put despite the coveted H badge. And I have a house purchase also going on in parallel.
I can understand mate. Stay married, buy a sedan a little later.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 17:13   #673
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 732
Thanked: 352 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Honda sends out an email every once in a while to their dealerships advising them on the corporate discounts applicable. I was shown such an email - complete with details on the exact discount on each model of car to each company on their list of corporate tie-ups - when I was in the process of buying my car last year. It was extremely transparent and standard.

If it's left to the dealers however, it may yet be transparent in the case of some dealers at least, but definitely not standard across dealers. Dealers pushing out larger volumes will be able to give out larger discounts (same logic as outlined a couple of paragraphs above).
So nice to hear that about Honda. VW dealers on the other hand, and VW may be partially responsible for that, are so much secretive. My dealer was originally quoting a 14k corporate discount on the car and was saying this was the company policy. After pestering him with the fact that all other dealers are offering 16k discount, he relented.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 17:27   #674
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
So nice to hear that about Honda. VW dealers on the other hand, and VW may be partially responsible for that, are so much secretive. My dealer was originally quoting a 14k corporate discount on the car and was saying this was the company policy. After pestering him with the fact that all other dealers are offering 16k discount, he relented.
Well absolutely not true , all car manufacturers are the same - as good or as bad as the others. I was in the market to buy a ANHC last July / August and the range that I got from the dealer was from zero discount to 20 K discount.
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 17:39   #675
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 732
Thanked: 352 Times
Default Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Well absolutely not true , all car manufacturers are the same - as good or as bad as the others. I was in the market to buy a ANHC last July / August and the range that I got from the dealer was from zero discount to 20 K discount.
I was saying this from my experience. What you say could be true. I have not gone to any other dealers other than VW in recent times!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1) numerouno The Indian Car Scene 11722 5th December 2016 16:02
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
The "Offers" thread : Post all offers, discounts and deals here Antonian Shifting gears 26 4th December 2012 16:57
Freebies, Bargains, Discounts, Offers, Goodies umang dutt The Indian Car Scene 3 21st May 2012 16:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks