Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2011, 13:20   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
rohanjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 684 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

I am so excited about this concept that this is my 4th post here. I just checked the coffee menu here: Fiat Caffe

Look at the coffee prices, 80 Rs for a 30 ml Espresso, 120 Rs for a cup of Latte. It looks much more expensive than other coffee shops. Also, no options other than coffee and tea (such as, eatables).

I am afraid, even Fiat enthusiasts will prefer other coffee joints :-(
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 13:21   #62
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,890 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
Ok, but tell me something. If you have to hang out with a friend for coffee and just generally to chill, would you rather do it in a CCD or a Gloria Jean or a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, or any other hangout area, or would you do it in a Fiat Caffe? (Assume that you're not a Fiat fan or that you don't own a Fiat). Just as an example, despite being a Man Utd fan, I would rather go to any other coffee shop if there is no football on TV.
Again, you are not getting the concept. Do you think these concept stores are to sell coffee and food? It’s just a way of brand building.

On the examples you mentioned – CCD, Gloria Jeans, CB & TL etc. Selling coffee is their business and means for survival. I don’t think Fiat in India has reached a stage where they need to sell coffee for survival! With this initiative, I assume that they are looking for a change of image, and café can be just a name/idea they chose. The expected outcome is still sales of Fiat cars.

Last edited by vb-san : 21st December 2011 at 13:37. Reason: last comment updated
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 14:34   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 628
Thanked: 132 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

I think this is a wasteful exercise. Focus on strict quality control and listen to the feedback and make improvements. Better quality control = less visits to A.S.S wch is lower frustration = more sales
Simple equation but FIAT struggling over the years with this.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 14:45   #64
PhX
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Again, you are not getting the concept. Do you think these concept stores are to sell coffee and food? It’s just a way of brand building.

On the examples you mentioned – CCD, Gloria Jeans, CB & TL etc. Selling coffee is their business and means for survival. I don’t think Fiat in India has reached a stage where they need to sell coffee for survival! With this initiative, I assume that they are looking for a change of image, and café can be just a name/idea they chose. The expected outcome is still sales of Fiat cars.
I understand what you're saying, but my point is ... who are they targeting? And how does selling coffee build their brand?

If they're targeting to improve their brand amongst the public in general, the Indian consumer's not likely to be impressed by fancy shops like this or by coffee. Ultimately, they need to improve on things like after-sales quality. Secondly, if they're targeting youth, the youth would rather go to coffee shops rather than Fiat Caffe unless convenient. So another fail. Are they targeting car enthusiasts? If yes, then that is where they are likely to be more successful. Obviously, it has excited a lot of Fiat owners/Fiat enthusiasts. But you were already interested in Fiat (this is an assumption ... please correct me if I'm wrong). So, they're improving your experience of Fiat to some extent, nothing else.

Just one question--how many car-buyers are car enthusiasts? MUFC Cafe (I keep coming back to this example because it's the only one I can think of which is a cafe for another, seemingly unrelated brand) makes sense because almost every second football fan is a fan of MUFC. MUFC also makes because they can sell kits or memorabilia ... are you likely to go into a cafe and decide to buy a car on impulse?

IMO, it would make more sense to have more/better dealers, focus on the problems that seemingly affect it and try to resolve those. In terms of a branding exercise, I'm unconvinced of a cafe being effective for a car.

Another viewpoint -- assume they are looking to capture more attention or exposure to their cars. This makes sense, because the cafe would (or ideally, should) be able to sustain itself. By displaying posters or brochures of Fiat cars, they get greater exposure to the public. But yet again, I reiterate ... makes little to no sense from a branding point of view.
PhX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 15:24   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: |
Posts: 582
Thanked: 215 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

For some strange reasons , I am seeing a criticism here as well . IMO we are missing the Basics here . FIAT didn;t opened this cafe to Sell coffee like few honorable Bhpians mentioned here. Point in opening these cafes is to revamp the whole brand and look for long term gains rather than short term gains and i am sure this will go a long way in achieving that. customer confidence is not gained in a night, it takes years of brand building and good service to achieve that . they have goofed up earlier and IMO they are trying not to make same mistakes again. So lessons are learnt already .

They are already on a Drive to revamp their sales and service network. they have already separated them, which IMO shows that they are here to stay . Another point is that they are not launching any new cars in next 1 year , until they have New sales / service network ready, which makes sense in current market scenario . All in All it;s a excellent move. i can only laugh when people say that they plan to survive by selling coffee.
.sushilkumar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 17:00   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

Guys, stop being so negative towards a brand.

What is the big deal of this coffee thingy? Mind you, FIAT has not built a brand store in a coffee shop. It has built a coffee stop in a brand store.

What is a brand store for? For some to come & check out the models, for some to buy some mechandise, for owners/fans to come & chit chat about their cars & their experiences. And when owners do meet, they would like to sit, chill and have coffee. Isnt that the purpose of having the coffee shop?
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 17:04   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

Fiat is not trying to sell coffee - they are trying to sell an "experience". A experience where anyone can come in, have a look at the cars and have a discussion on the pros and cons of the car with a representative - over a cup of coffee. I don't think the Caffe is going to be a point of sale for the cars - the Caffee exists to get people notice the brand and have a (hopefully great) first experience with the brand. Since the Caffe requires much smaller space than a showroom, it allows Fiat to start/run the caffes in places where it is likely to get more attention - like a shopping street or even a popular mall.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 17:16   #68
BHPian
 
prakash_ajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 719 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
IMO, it would make more sense to have more/better dealers, focus on the problems that seemingly affect it and try to resolve those. In terms of a branding exercise, I'm unconvinced of a cafe being effective for a car.
If you were a fiat owner, you would have known that there is nothing really wrong with Fiat India. Most of the negative opinions floating around are just myths that Fiat has not been able to break. And most people in India don't bother to find the facts for themselves. Personally, I don't really know if the caffe will help. But I still like the idea. It will give them a chance to get the brand name into people's mind, after all that's all advertisements do, right?
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 17:40   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 1,541 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

guys, instead of bashing fiat for this initiative or bullshitting the concept just treat it as a gesture.

something new and passionate as it has always been with fiat. just consider it as a modern showroom where you can get all the info correctly with a nice ambience and nice authentic coffee.

instead of taking you gf to CCD and gulping the same Rs.120 coffee give fiat Caffee a shot too

i think going to fiat caffe and taking a nice look at the cars is more better than walking into tata showroom and wondering where to start from.

And i can proudly say that i have zero issues with my linea in 1 year and the service i am getting is top notch VIP treatment.
amit_mechengg is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 18:50   #70
PhX
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
FIAT didn;t opened this cafe to Sell coffee like few honorable Bhpians mentioned here. Point in opening these cafes is to revamp the whole brand and look for long term gains rather than short term gains and i am sure this will go a long way in achieving that.
How? How will it go a long way in doing that? How will opening a cafe revamp the brand of Fiat? Some others have posted some ideas...so let's take a look at them:

Quote:
i can only laugh when people say that they plan to survive by selling coffee.
So can I. So if you're referring to me saying that they will survive by selling coffee, I'm sorry, but in none of my posts have I said that. Someone probably either assumed that or misquoted me. I'll say it again for emphasis so that it doesn't get brought up with reference to me: I don't think FIAT is opening theses cafes to survive by selling coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
What is the big deal of this coffee thingy? Mind you, FIAT has not built a brand store in a coffee shop. It has built a coffee stop in a brand store.

What is a brand store for? For some to come & check out the models, for some to buy some mechandise, for owners/fans to come & chit chat about their cars & their experiences. And when owners do meet, they would like to sit, chill and have coffee. Isnt that the purpose of having the coffee shop?
When you say "models", are you talking about real cars or actual smaller than real size models? If you're talking about the former, then a "brand store" is nothing but a glorified showroom.

However, for the rest of it ... a cafe where Fiat owners can come and talk and chill out and share their experiences, it's a concept that is certainly interesting and could work. But honestly, tell me something ... how many owners/fans are likely to meet for a cup of coffee to chitchat about their cars and their experiences of owning these cars? Owners ... I would say not a majority. Fans ... probably more of them would go to such cafes. In one of my previous posts, I've stated that if Fiat is targeting such aficionados/fans, then it would still make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Fiat is not trying to sell coffee - they are trying to sell an "experience". A experience where anyone can come in, have a look at the cars and have a discussion on the pros and cons of the car with a representative - over a cup of coffee.
If people are going to look at the cars, then they need larger spaces. Then, like I said, it becomes a glorified showroom.

Quote:
I don't think the Caffe is going to be a point of sale for the cars - the Caffee exists to get people notice the brand and have a (hopefully great) first experience with the brand. Since the Caffe requires much smaller space than a showroom, it allows Fiat to start/run the caffes in places where it is likely to get more attention - like a shopping street or even a popular mall.
Hmm...this is an interesting strategy. And one that makes sense to me. This could actually work. I mean, if I was in a mall, and I am considering buying a car, and if I see this store in front of me, I'd walk in to get an idea of the cars available and the prices, etc. along with more information on where the dealerships are located, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
If you were a fiat owner, you would have known that there is nothing really wrong with Fiat India. Most of the negative opinions floating around are just myths that Fiat has not been able to break. And most people in India don't bother to find the facts for themselves.
Well, I've been writing in almost all of my posts that neither have I owned a Fiat nor do I know anyone who does. However, it does seem to be the popular opinion around here, and just as an example, here's ONE post that a Fiat owner posted on this very thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005
I think this is a wasteful exercise. Focus on strict quality control and listen to the feedback and make improvements. Better quality control = less visits to A.S.S wch is lower frustration = more sales
Simple equation but FIAT struggling over the years with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
guys, instead of bashing fiat for this initiative or bullshitting the concept just treat it as a gesture.
I think I might have stepped on some Fiat fans' or owners' toes (not referring only to you, amit, but in the general kind of response I'm getting to my posts).

So, let me just clarify I'm not bashing the concept. I'm merely trying to understand how it fits in and what its intended benefit or concept is. I was/am hoping to have a healthy discussion on this, to try and gauge others' opinions and to possibly act a bit like Devil's advocate so that we have two sides of every argument. If I've been coming across as aggressive or purposely bashing Fiat or the Fiat Caffe idea, I assure you it was unintentional.

Quote:
something new and passionate as it has always been with fiat. just consider it as a modern showroom where you can get all the info correctly with a nice ambience and nice authentic coffee.
But the point is that if you go to the website, you'll see that they're not marketing it as such. They, in fact, are selling points such as good coffee, good ambience, special events (music, etc)...it's not being marketed as a modern showroom, more like a hip 'n' happening hangout place.

Quote:
instead of taking you gf to CCD and gulping the same Rs.120 coffee give fiat Caffee a shot too
Unless my girlfriend is a car enthusiast, she will not want to go to a Fiat Caffe. This is the point I've been trying to make. Your statement compares a Fiat Caffe to a CCD. If I'm in it purely for the coffee, then I'd rather go to wherever it's more convenient, or where the coffee is better. Fiat Caffe might be fun for me to go and sit in the midst of Ferrari scaled models or posters or such other things, but for others uninterested in that kind of stuff, CCD would probably appeal more.

Quote:
i think going to fiat caffe and taking a nice look at the cars is more better than walking into tata showroom and wondering where to start from.
You're completely right about that! If the Caffes are showrooms, I'd certainly like to visit a Fiat showroom (different story as to whether it would make me buy a car!).

Quote:
And i can proudly say that i have zero issues with my linea in 1 year and the service i am getting is top notch VIP treatment.
I am quoting this part just to highlight that I am not ignoring the part where you said your experience with Fiat has been good. In fact, the more experiences I read about, the more I learn.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2011 at 16:17. Reason: No more than 2 smilies per post please
PhX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 19:10   #71
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,890 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

There is one even in Japan
FIAT CAFFÃ JP

Last edited by vb-san : 21st December 2011 at 19:11. Reason: Link edited
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 19:33   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,803
Thanked: 898 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

My FIATian friends in Delhi will be paying a visit to the Fiat Caffe tomorrow. If they grant me the permission, I'll surely share the images and videos clicked by them. Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
There is one even in Japan
FIAT CAFFÃ JP
vb-san, talk of co-incidence. I had visited the Japan Fiat Caffe page this noon and had even 'liked' the page in Facebook.

I prefer the Japan Caffe over the Indian Caffe as the former serve delicious and mouth watering eatables.

EDIT: The Fiat Culture Magazine website is worth surfing through.

Last edited by Klub Class : 21st December 2011 at 19:45.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 22:42   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
But honestly, tell me something ... how many owners/fans are likely to meet for a cup of coffee to chitchat about their cars and their experiences of owning these cars? Owners ... I would say not a majority. Fans ... probably more of them would go to such cafes. In one of my previous posts, I've stated that if Fiat is targeting such aficionados/fans, then it would still make sense.
Quite many actually. You have to agree that FIAT has quite a fan following. And these are those who have actually owned or still own a FIAT, rather than those who read reviews and then crib about the brand.

Such fans would love to meet at such a cafe & talk about their possessions. Do you know that there are many Fiat/Punto/Linea clubs around who meet every sunday? Why... Last sunday I had organized a FIAT meet wherein we met, socialized & had a long chat about our cars.

We met at Mc Donalds, if we had such a FIAT cafe in town, we would have definitely preferred to be there as we would be in the right "environment" then. It is just about the whole experience buddy.

Allow me to be blunt, but many of FIAT owners are actually enthusiasts who would like this concept, unlike Toyota or Maruti owners.
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 22:50   #74
BHPian
 
arishi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Thane - Mumbai
Posts: 291
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Quite many actually. You have to agree that FIAT has quite a fan following. And these are those who have actually owned or still own a FIAT, rather than those who read reviews and then crib about the brand.

Such fans would love to meet at such a cafe & talk about their possessions. Do you know that there are many Fiat/Punto/Linea clubs around who meet every sunday? Why... Last sunday I had organized a FIAT meet wherein we met, socialized & had a long chat about our cars.

We met at Mc Donalds, if we had such a FIAT cafe in town, we would have definitely preferred to be there as we would be in the right "environment" then. It is just about the whole experience buddy.

Allow me to be blunt, but many of FIAT owners are actually enthusiasts who would like this concept, unlike Toyota or Maruti owners.
+1 to that and add to that a lot of FIAT owners around India have been having such meets. December 2010 FIAT invited about 200 of us to visit there manufacturing facility at Pune it was one of the best meets we had. I am sure with such FIAT Cafe this culture will grow further.
arishi1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 22:56   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 1,541 Times
Default re: Fiat Caffe site :-) - EDIT: Now open in Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
I think I might have stepped on some Fiat fans' or owners' toes (not referring only to you, amit, but in the general kind of response I'm getting to my posts).

So, let me just clarify I'm not bashing the concept. I'm merely trying to understand how it fits in and what its intended benefit or concept is. I was/am hoping to have a healthy discussion on this, to try and gauge others' opinions and to possibly act a bit like Devil's advocate so that we have two sides of every argument. If I've been coming across as aggressive or purposely bashing Fiat or the Fiat Caffe idea, I assure you it was unintentional.
no bro, i dint even read your post before replying. i wasnt referring to you at all.
but its a general routine that whenever fiat tries to do something we start bashing it up.

see the concept is very simple. fiat wants to showcase something in a different way than others.
So they open up a nice bling caffe.

instead of bashing the concept why dont we appreciate that they are doing something different from regular manufacturers.

forget about comparing it with CCD for a moment- sorry i did it too, and yes a gal wont like it may be, but we as automobile lovers can give it a try

she will be pleased with coffee and we with the cars

and truly speaking Fiat is full of passion, elegance, possessiveness, socialism all over the globe.
its just that some of us indians are shying away from it.

i know many owners have faced issues with plastics and bits and bytes but believe me fiat has improves a lot. no more falling plastics.

atleast not major engine failures like hyundai, skoda, GSG gear boxes worth lacs failing etc.

every manufacturer nowdays have their own share of problems. on our own forum you will see mercedes , BMW breaking down being towed away etc.

no one is perfect.

just give it a try from a different angle.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Caffe Car-O-Bar in Bangalore! puchoo The Indian Car Scene 24 13th March 2015 17:43
The Fiat Linea Facelift, bookings open now Nilesh5417 The Indian Car Scene 151 5th March 2014 12:36
Fiat Caffe & Fiat Punto Sport Launched in Pune moralfibre The Indian Car Scene 68 28th January 2013 22:05
Tata's Jaguar-Landrover Showroom to be opened in Mumbai, Worli. EDIT : Now OPEN danlalan Indian Car Dealerships 116 22nd October 2009 16:51
Open open open Sesame!! VJ_MAVRICK Shifting gears 12 10th January 2008 15:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:16.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks