Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd December 2011, 19:05   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Is this the right time to buy used luxury petrol cars?

Its definitely the right time to buy, people are stressing the sellers with the petrol car prices & most owners are looking to switch to diesel to upgrade and long term cost saving.

I was selling my new shape Hyundai Sonata, but in this market, I might just keep her as spare.
fre2bpowerless is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
^^ Are you serious?!!

If you do have used car details for Accord at 3-4.5 lakhs in Banglore, wonder what it'll fetch in Pune!
Are you sure you ain't giving us scrap metal values

And here I was convincing my parents to go for a used Swift with a budget of 4 lakhs!
I did my ground work before I started this thread buddy I dint want to have links here with the pricing of each cars mentioned.

Why don't you Yahoo! (I work for them :P ) you will be surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
^^ Are you serious?!!

If you do have used car details for Accord at 3-4.5 lakhs in Banglore, wonder what it'll fetch in Pune!
Are you sure you ain't giving us scrap metal values

And here I was convincing my parents to go for a used Swift with a budget of 4 lakhs!
I better be serious before I start a thread on T-BHP ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am sure you are talking about the older generation Accords.

Again CRV at this price has to be the old gen.
There a few new gen CRV's and Accords available too.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd December 2011 at 21:24. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
binu balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:03   #18
BHPian

Yes price of petrol cars has gone down, I got a used Logan 1.4 glx, 2010 model with only 16 k on odometer for 1.80 lac.
udaydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Tell me about it, i got a used civic for less than 7 lacs this July.My monthly running is 300-400 kms so petrol prices don't really pinch me too hard.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Yes price of petrol cars has gone down, I got a used Logan 1.4 glx, 2010 model with only 16 k on odometer for 1.80 lac.
Dear, I could not believe my eyes. Am I reading the right figures?
Congrats on the purchase, I hope this could be the cheapest Logan deal ever.

PS: Is there a ownership review thread? please share.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Prices may have sky-dived but buying a luxury car is one thing and maintaining is another.

The spares sure haven't become cheap due to petrol prices!

These look good options for short-term ownership though.
Not sure about the others, Toyota and Honda would still be manageable
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its true, you might get some really good deals on Petrol cars including Petrol SUVs. See my Avtar..

Grand Vitara new model is a fantastic SUV with good overall performance and low maintenance cost. But goes at very low price in second hand market for being Petrol.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:31   #23
Team-BHP Support

I agree, I was thinking of a new yeti next but after reviewing my service bills, I found my annual running is not even 10000 km. A used outlander is worth considering!

By the way, the used Superb 1 has an issue when it comes to sourcing spares!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have been mulling over this myself.I think this is a right time to buy a good,sporty petrol,which can be used as a weekend or personal car,other than the diesel sedan which is used as the family car.

That would be like say a Laura Tsi,a Civic or a even if we are adventurous,a 320i also.hunt for a good example and spend south of 10 lakhs for the beauty.This car will not be used as much,not a daily driver,so fuel bills wont come high.The money you save in buying a cheap petrol can be used in refurbishing or modifying the car(evil grin).

After a slow day at the office,a 5 km blast on your civic,or a some tinkering under the hood on your OHC,your Fiesta S,or stare longingly at your red GTX.

So buy that cheap petrol hottie,and the wifey wont complain.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:37   #25
GSM
BHPian

How true!

Sad that I am not out there in the market for a Petrol car at this point in time. Two weeks back I had been to a used car dealer at Chennai (T Nagar, behing GRT Hotel), for test driving diesel sedan. There was this Civic VMT, 2011 Model (or end of 2010), around 10000 kms, available for Rs.10.50 Lakhs! Thats a whole 5 Lakhs less than OTR.

40000 Kms done Civics were available in the range of 6 to 7 Lakhs [2007 Models]. If anybody's usage less, and he is scouting for Petrol Cars, he surely is in for some mouthwatering deals.

Cheers
GSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Petrol cars have always had a poor resale value. Now with the market preference shifting to diesel, the resale is affected further.
But:
Most cars that we are discussing on page 1 are older than 5 years or the asking price is higher than 5 lacs. In some cases (e.g. the Skoda Superb in Chennai) the number of owners is higher than what you would want.

So, a good deal still isn't exactly a piece of cake, unless you are very lucky.
And lets not forget the maintenance costs of these cars and the fuel bills. Also in case of an insurance claim, remember the depreciation after 5th year is 40%. So you would have to shell out 40% in case of metal parts if you were to claim insurance. Plus Rs. 1000 as claim charges since these cars have bigger engines.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:35   #27
BHPian

I was in the market for the exact same want a few months back. Here are my observations. Budget 5-6 lakhs

Accord Old gen VTi/ Gen II VTEC/V6- You won't get anything short of 75K-100K run examples in the price range. Moreover, accident pieces are very likely atleast in Delhi. Old gen Accord parts are expensive.

Sonata 2.7V6 (Jaguar Shape)- A good vehicle to be chauffeured in. Not exciting by any means, to drive. A good bargain as Hyundai has less snob value than Honda.Maintenance average.

Skoda Octavia Rider/ Old gen Superb- Nice to drive & not too large to maneuver. But Parts are too costly.

Maruti SX4- This car has the least resale value, even in Maruti true value. ZXi models of 2-2.5 year vintage can be had for 5-6 lakhs. Parts are of average cost. But Maruti A.S.S. labour cost for SX4 is high. Therefore, it makes sense to get it serviced outside A.S.S.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Just my few thoughts...
The Best Killer combination with regard to poor resale value is always a not so popular model + Petrol.
Next comes models having continuous facelifts, refreshed, upgraded, all-new relaunches, etc.
Then there are company perceptions eg. Fiat, Ford, Chevrolet, etc. and Segment perceptions Maruti in B+/C+/SUV segments Hyundai in C+, SUV.
But right now "Fuel" has become the most decisive factor.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I agree, I was thinking of a new yeti next but after reviewing my service bills, I found my annual running is not even 10000 km. A used outlander is worth considering!

By the way, the used Superb 1 has an issue when it comes to sourcing spares!
Used outlander is a good deal if the running is bellow 1000 km/month. I saw some listed for 13-14 lacs (with less then 30000 km on odo). That is a depreciation of more then 10 lacs in 2 years!

Last edited by Guna : 23rd December 2011 at 17:29.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:16   #30
BHPian

Arrow

Note from Support: Please use the Multi-Quote / Quote+ button while responding to multiple posts. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Wow that's a good buy! You wouldn't get a nano for that price

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Tell me about it, i got a used civic for less than 7 lacs this July.My monthly running is 300-400 kms so petrol prices don't really pinch me too hard.
Brilliant - For that kind of Kms it makes perfect sense! It should be your second ride, isn't it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Its true, you might get some really good deals on Petrol cars including Petrol SUVs. See my Avtar..

Grand Vitara new model is a fantastic SUV with good overall performance and low maintenance cost. But goes at very low price in second hand market for being Petrol.
That's one of my dream SUV's - Its wonder off-roader too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

So buy that cheap petrol hottie,and the wifey wont complain.
I have tough time convincing my wifie on 2nd hand buys! Practically it makes so much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Petrol cars have always had a poor resale value. Now with the market preference shifting to diesel, the resale is affected further.
But:
Most cars that we are discussing on page 1 are older than 5 years or the asking price is higher than 5 lacs. In some cases (e.g. the Skoda Superb in Chennai) the number of owners is higher than what you would want.
Good petrol performers always had good resale. Remember the OHC VTEC's would go up to 5 Lakhs plus, the same was with the Baleno's.

Yes< the cars I had listed were for sure 5 plus years old but there were quite a few less than 4 Lakhs

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd December 2011 at 20:52. Reason: Posts merged. See note.