Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd December 2011, 21:41   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Is this the right time to buy used luxury petrol cars?

I totally agree with Binu. I have just bought a used Ford Fusion Diesel and did lot of scouting online and offline. There is a flood of petrol cars of all segments. Research on carwale and suleka as well and you can see the extent of choice available. I was tempted to buy a used petrol car and fit a CNG kit vs buying a diesel one.
The situation at the used car dealers is even more skewed. there are very few ready used diesel cars which these guys have- 1 or max 2. Swifts/dezires are hard to come by and are way too expensive. But the petrol cars are present in abundance. I mostly saw Civic in the luxury segment and couple of CRVs, lots of small cars, and some NHCs as well. But trust me, its a great time to buy a luxury petrol car especially civic.
sharadmumbai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binu balan View Post
Brilliant - For that kind of Kms it makes perfect sense! It should be your second ride, isn't it ?
yes, it's my second ride.I also have a '97 800.
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 09:59   #33
BHPian

To cut down on the running cost you could also look at fitting a sequential injection LPG/CNG kits. Just imagine, get a superb/CRV/Accord for 4Lakhs and spend about 30k and your running cost would be lesser than a Diesel car. And, you would have performance close to a petrol engine. I've read the performance betters with sequential kits.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...36-20-a-8.html (LPG @ Rs. 32.55, is it worth it ? Edit: now Rs.36.20)

Just a thought!

Last edited by binu balan : 24th December 2011 at 10:02.
binu balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 10:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
I was tempted to buy a used petrol car and fit a CNG kit vs buying a diesel one.
That would have been good, you would have seen a CRV instead of a Fusion in your parking
Old 24th December 2011, 13:17   #35
BHPian

Yup this is great time to buy used petrol vehicles, But its getting tough to convince better half for second hand deals, Im planning to ask her to read the GTO's article on second hand vehicle and hope she agrees on that.

PS: Im searching for used Civic / ANHC for 6 - 6.5 lakhs in bangalore ,if any one has a decent deal, kindly provide me the link or phone number. Also getting petrol vehicle and fitting LPG will it be cheaper in bangalore ?

Last edited by soarer : 24th December 2011 at 13:19. Reason: additional point
soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 16:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
PS: Im searching for used Civic / ANHC for 6 - 6.5 lakhs in bangalore ,if any one has a decent deal, kindly provide me the link or phone number. Also getting petrol vehicle and fitting LPG will it be cheaper in bangalore ?
Here are few pointers:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/sear...qs_button=Find

Used Honda Civic Cars Bangalore Second Hand Honda Civic Cars on Sale in Bangalore Ad Listings on Sulekha.com

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/sear...qs_button=Find

Last edited by binu balan : 24th December 2011 at 16:18.
Old 24th December 2011, 17:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Yes, its a super time to own a luxury petrol car.

I think the rise in the petrol prices have done a irrevocable damage to the junta mindset (unless the prices themselves are slashed). That's why this sudden tank in the prices of petrol car prices. Also, the higher you go, the harder you fall. So, clearly the best value cars are available in the higher segment cars.

Taking new car example, Skoda Laura diesel is almost 2.5 lakhs costlier than its petrol sibling (after the discounts are factored in). There is no way you'll recover that cost (unless you're a taxi driver). And I am talking about the stonker of 1.8TSI engine here. Yet, the Laura petrol hardly sells.

Bangalore used car prices are disproportionately high, so I will not talk about them. But in Delhi, a decent condition City ZX Gxi/VTEC 07/08 can be yours at ridiculously low 3.5 lacs. A decent Civic 07/08 at 5.5.

Great time for a lateral upgrade.
Why have you left out one major factor ? the resale value ?

A Skoda Laura Diesel would in no way depreciate any where near its petrol sibling . A diesel Skoda Laura might take a hit of 10-15 % over a period of 3-4 years but a petrol would take a hit of somewhere near 40-50% .

Finding a buyer for a petrol Laura is going to be a nightmare task unless you are willing to take a major hit and sell it it to a dealer .
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 19:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Decent deals available on middle aged Honda CRVs at a dealership called Classic Automobiles in Bangalore.
Also some nice Civics, Accords etc.
However, as Abhi says, the prices in Bangalore are really very expensive indeed.
If you've got 10-12 lacs to use to buy an used car (going by the premise that it is never worth taking a loan to buy an used car), then you might as well plonk it as downpayment towards a super fancy new car and buy it. Anyway, thats my take.
Main reason for saying this is because one cant really trust the used car dealerships here. The industry itself needs to evolve into a more professional and organized one rather than remain the fragmented mess that it is.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 20:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Decent deals available on middle aged Honda CRVs at a dealership called Classic Automobiles in Bangalore.
Also some nice Civics, Accords etc.
However, as Abhi says, the prices in Bangalore are really very expensive indeed.
If you've got 10-12 lacs to use to buy an used car (going by the premise that it is never worth taking a loan to buy an used car), then you might as well plonk it as downpayment towards a super fancy new car and buy it. Anyway, thats my take.
Main reason for saying this is because one cant really trust the used car dealerships here. The industry itself needs to evolve into a more professional and organized one rather than remain the fragmented mess that it is.
+1

Accidental cars , multiple ownership issues , Cars with chassis damage and underclocked cars are sold to unsuspecting car buyers. Everywhere the issues are there but especially in Bangalore these issues are pretty rampant.
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 06:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Avoid Classic, few people I know have been conned royally by them. Most of the cars displayed are owned by them (the ones with the classic logo), and, they end up charging you the commission amount on top of the quoted/finalized price. They even make dummy calls to the actual owner right in front of you.
Old 25th December 2011, 07:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Dear, I could not believe my eyes. Am I reading the right figures?
Congrats on the purchase, I hope this could be the cheapest Logan deal ever.

PS: Is there a ownership review thread? please share.
Yes I have put up my initial ownership review please check below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...al-report.html (Wanted Baleno, test drove Swift, brought Logan - My initial report)

Uday
udaydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 10:39   #42
BHPian

Wink Re: Is this the right time to buy used luxury petrol cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binu balan View Post
That would have been good, you would have seen a CRV instead of a Fusion in your parking
Yes But buying one cheap and maintaining it are 2 different things. My need was different as objective was to reduce cost. My pre and post purchase experiences are in below threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-cars-own.html (At crossroads and need advice on what portfolio of cars to own)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sion-tdci.html (Got Home a Preowned Fusion TDCI)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
+1

Accidental cars , multiple ownership issues , Cars with chassis damage and underclocked cars are sold to unsuspecting car buyers. Everywhere the issues are there but especially in Bangalore these issues are pretty rampant.
These issues are rampant in Mumbai as well.
Most common tricks are tampering Odos to show between 40-60k. Brand new tyres. Paint touch ups/waxing and interior cleaning which makes the potential buyer feel that the car is well maintained. Most dealers buy out the cars from owners and get them to sign blank transfer forms and then make money on the selling them at much higher price with all the tampering.
What one should do:
1. TD the car yourself and don't get carried away by the cleanliness and look of the car
2. Ask for service history/service station where the car was last serviced
3. Take the car to the same service station if its the company authorised station and check the mileage in their records. Also, ask them to connect the laptop and check the mileage. Ask for quote for major works.
4. Ask for insurance papers. Check for NCB. Higher NCB means longer accident free history. In my case, i couldn't get the insurance papers but I relied on other checks to satisfy myself that there is no accident history.
5. Budget some amount for post purchase repairs.
sharadmumbai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 11:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
These issues are rampant in Mumbai as well.
Most common tricks are tampering Odos to show between 40-60k. Brand new tyres. Paint touch ups/waxing and interior cleaning which makes the potential buyer feel that the car is well maintained. Most dealers buy out the cars from owners and get them to sign blank transfer forms and then make money on the selling them at much higher price with all the tampering.
What one should do:
1. TD the car yourself and don't get carried away by the cleanliness and look of the car
2. Ask for service history/service station where the car was last serviced
3. Take the car to the same service station if its the company authorised station and check the mileage in their records. Also, ask them to connect the laptop and check the mileage. Ask for quote for major works.
4. Ask for insurance papers. Check for NCB. Higher NCB means longer accident free history. In my case, i couldn't get the insurance papers but I relied on other checks to satisfy myself that there is no accident history.
5. Budget some amount for post purchase repairs.
I totally agree. Buying second hand car from dealers is a gamble, heavily weighed against the buyer. I would always go for a car from a known source where I am confidant of the condition and milage.

A point to note, is that though the cars may be available at a reasonable price, maintenance and spares are at the original cost, which may be quite a lot compared to non luxury cars. In the end you may end up spending quite a packet in maintaining it. That is fine if you use it for small week end outings.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 12:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
A point to note, is that though the cars may be available at a reasonable price, maintenance and spares are at the original cost, which may be quite a lot compared to non luxury cars. In the end you may end up spending quite a packet in maintaining it. That is fine if you use it for small week end outings.
+1 to that.
I touched the same point in my earlier post on this thread. At the same time if you are spending that much for small weekend outings then buying luxury car is akin to buying 'white elephant' especially in metros where car is not a luxury, parking space is.
Also for some used luxury cars, it is said that consider the amount you pay at the time of purchase as down payment and repair bills as your EMIs. It can get very risky with some used luxury cars sometimes.
carwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 12:25   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Why have you left out one major factor ? the resale value ?
Resale value would be a factor if one intends to frequently change his car and buy new cars every few years. If you intend to use the car for a reasonably long period say 7~10 years then the difference in resale value would not be such a major factor.

For eg. If one bought a petrol Laura and saved 2.5 lakhs upfront. The saving of 2.5L would pay for the extra money that he is paying on petrol upto almost 70,000 kms.
Running cost for petrol Rs. 75/11 = 6.80/ km
Running cost for diesel = Rs. 46/14 = 3.30/ km
Difference cost per km = Rs. 3.50 /km.
Break even point : 2,50,000/ 3.50km = 70,000kms

Now if the avg annual mileage is say around 10,000 kms and when the time for resale comes after say 7 years, the petrol Laura owner has spent the exact same about out of his pocket as the diesel Laura owner.

Lets assume after seven years, the petrol Laura would sell for Rs. 4L and the diesel Laura of similar mileage would sell for Rs. 6L. The 2.5L lakhs saved upfront would earn average after tax interest of about 7% p.a i.e roughly 18.75k p.a or Rs. 1.3L over the seven year period.
So at this point the petrol Laura owner is setback by only Rs. 70,000/- . Now this is after seven years. The present value of Rs. 70,000/- would be about Rs. 40,000/- today.

So really the petrol Laura owner is shelling out only Rs. 40,000 (or ~ Rs. 5,000 p.a ) extra from his pocket for the petrol model over the diesel . More importantly he can buy and enjoy a car in a segment which would be beyond his budget for the diesel model but within reach for the petrol model TODAY!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 25th December 2011 at 12:26.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote