Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th December 2011, 18:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is this the right time to buy used luxury petrol cars?

Frankly if I were going to put 8 lacs cash down and buy a 5 year old Tucson with 60K on the clock or put 12 lacs cash down and buy a 5 year old Nissan X Trail with 90k Kms on the clock I would rather put that same money down, take a reasonable loan and buy a brand new Yeti, which is exactly what I did! Nothing like owning a brand new vehicle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Yes But buying one cheap and maintaining it are 2 different things. My need was different as objective was to reduce cost. My pre and post purchase experiences are in below threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-cars-own.html (At crossroads and need advice on what portfolio of cars to own)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sion-tdci.html (Got Home a Preowned Fusion TDCI)

These issues are rampant in Mumbai as well.
Most common tricks are tampering Odos to show between 40-60k. Brand new tyres. Paint touch ups/waxing and interior cleaning which makes the potential buyer feel that the car is well maintained. Most dealers buy out the cars from owners and get them to sign blank transfer forms and then make money on the selling them at much higher price with all the tampering.
What one should do:
1. TD the car yourself and don't get carried away by the cleanliness and look of the car
2. Ask for service history/service station where the car was last serviced
3. Take the car to the same service station if its the company authorised station and check the mileage in their records. Also, ask them to connect the laptop and check the mileage. Ask for quote for major works.
4. Ask for insurance papers. Check for NCB. Higher NCB means longer accident free history. In my case, i couldn't get the insurance papers but I relied on other checks to satisfy myself that there is no accident history.
5. Budget some amount for post purchase repairs.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 14:07   #47
BHPian

This thread is making me go for an upgrade of My Accent. In the used car segement I'm looking for a fun to drive car ( I own a OHC Vtec also ) so my list is Fiesta 1.6, Cedia or Civic. Now all 3 not at all similar to each other , the only common thing is that they are all driver oriented cars and are Petrol. In used car market of Mumbai I think I can get Fiesta 1.6 for 2.5-3 Lakhs, Cedia for 3.5-4 and Civic for 4-5 Lakhs. Which all do you think is the best bet. I'll like to keep the car for atleast 3 years.
Do let me know if anyone of you come across some good deal on any of these 3 cars.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 17:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Let me add one more, an Outlander for 8 to 14 lacs..Recently, saw a pre face lift 2010 model, white colour, with 27k on the clock, go for 10.5 lacs. Man, the car was not even out of warranty. Looking for a pre face lift Outlander for cousin.. we personally dont like the EVO look on the outlander... A 2008 withing 8 lacs is mouth watering..

@saurabhkum: check the used cedia thread on What car sedan section..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th December 2011 at 17:23.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 20:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Break even point : 2,50,000/ 3.50km = 70,000kms
So true. Will this be the case with non luxury cars aswell ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Let me add one more, an Outlander for 8 to 14 lacs..Recently, saw a pre face lift 2010 model, white colour, with 27k on the clock, go for 10.5 lacs. Man, the car was not even out of warranty.
WOW!! That would be a classic buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Frankly if I were going to put 8 lacs cash down and buy a 5 year old Tucson with 60K on the clock or put 12 lacs cash down and buy a 5 year old Nissan X Trail with 90k Kms on the clock I would rather put that same money down, take a reasonable loan and buy a brand new Yeti, which is exactly what I did! Nothing like owning a brand new vehicle!
No point in investing that kind of $$ on a used diesel. But, a 2010 outlander for 10.5 is a steal

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th December 2011 at 14:55. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
binu balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 18:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
This thread is making me go for an upgrade of My Accent. In the used car segement I'm looking for a fun to drive car ( I own a OHC Vtec also ) so my list is Fiesta 1.6, Cedia or Civic. Now all 3 not at all similar to each other , the only common thing is that they are all driver oriented cars and are Petrol. In used car market of Mumbai I think I can get Fiesta 1.6 for 2.5-3 Lakhs, Cedia for 3.5-4 and Civic for 4-5 Lakhs. Which all do you think is the best bet. I'll like to keep the car for atleast 3 years.
Do let me know if anyone of you come across some good deal on any of these 3 cars.
I own a fiesta 1.6 and love it but i dont think that you should go for it if you already drive a OHC. I would recommend that you go for a Civic AT (if petrol cost and mileage is not an issue) or else go for a diesel Laura though it will be around 5-7L and the A** is scary but the car is a real upgrade.
You will easily get good deals on Fiesta 1.6 and can even landup late 2008/2009 models in 3L
sharadmumbai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 08:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I was in a local garage to enquire about paining my friend's RX.
Found a 2005 Accord there which came for bumper painting. Gave a chat with the owner, shocked that he recently purchased with 45k on odo for 3L.

On seeing the T-BHP sticker in my NHC, he said he is not a member of our forum, but used to follow the threads frequently. He initially planned for Etios (P) and our forum made his mind to get Accord. Nice to hear
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 22:54   #52
BHPian

I had plans to buy a hatch but after browsing through few threads about price of petrol cars I decided to get a used sedan.Finally after inspecting lot of cars both online and offline bought an 2004 optra 1.8 with 20K on ODO for approximately 2.5L (Cost of upgrades like ICE included).I recommended the same to my friend who wanted to upgrade from his alto.
giri1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 05:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Well, here we go again:

Alright, will make this quick. Recently sold the Scorp because:

1. The mileage per month dropped to less than 1000
2. The car was used strictly as a 2 seater for more than 99% of the time. Infact, immediate family used the middle bench probably about 5 times over 3 years.

Now, am in the market for a pre-worshipped petrol. For precisely the above reasons. But a few extra's am looking for:

1. Low mileage car (I mean I dont want a car which has done more than 30k kms)

2. Dont care if its a sedan or a hatch. It will be used as a two seater for the foreseeable future.

3. Needs to be super plush - the interiors HAVE to pamper.

4. FE/litre should be 10 or more. The 9's always end up becoming 7. Not fun.

5. Fun to drive element is really not a big deal for me, since I will predominantly be driving this car in the city and not on the highways.

I know petrol prices are rising by another 3 bucks in a month, so I'm hoping I should get better deals soon.

So what cars should I be looking at?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 08:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Seeing that you would be mainly doing City driving, I suggest you to look for the City.
A low mileage ZX model(Non-Vtec) would be good enough, since the fun to drive character of most cars can't be exploited in the city. Its light steering and spacious interiors would make your commuting absolutely stress-free. and its not very large making it driveable in city without getting scarped at all places. A mileage of over 11 is always obtained (upto 20 on the highway).
But make note that this by no means is an enthusiasts car. Even the VTEC model doesn't have the Dynamics of a driver's car(though it may have good Power).

Higher up, you may get a Civic, but its mileage may drop a bit below 9.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 09:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Well, here we go again:

2. The car was used strictly as a 2 seater for more than 99% of the time. Infact, immediate family used the middle bench probably about 5 times over 3 years.

Now, am in the market for a pre-worshipped petrol. For precisely the above reasons. But a few extra's am looking for:

2. Dont care if its a sedan or a hatch. It will be used as a two seater for the foreseeable future.

5. Fun to drive element is really not a big deal for me, since I will predominantly be driving this car in the city and not on the highways.

I know petrol prices are rising by another 3 bucks in a month, so I'm hoping I should get better deals soon.

I guess pre owned aveo would suit your needs. It doesn't command any resale value. Quite compact for city runs. The interiors put the car in a segment above. Though it doesn't belong to the luxury petrol car segment that the thread is about, still it would fit in your requirements snug.

Hope it was helpful.

Rgds.
sindabad.sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 21:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Well, here we go again:

budget?

Apart from mileage, one great option for you is the Honda Accord. my friend has recently bought a 2009 accord (new shape) in Delhi (32k done), mint condition, for 9.5L.

Another good option for you IMO would be the Chevy Optra. You can get a top end LTZ with Sunroof and all, for a very tempting price. Also, recent models may be available as well at good price points.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 21:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

If its a used petrol, it has to be under 5L. A used diesel, am willing to go up to 10. But for my usage, its a petrol, and putting in any more than 5L is sacrilegious.

- Aveo's out sorry. Its a horrific climbdown.
- Felt the Optra to be too dated. Its end of lifecycle by a long way.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 21:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

plush petrol under 5 lakhs- well pretty limited choices frankly. You are looking at NHCs, SX4 and the like. Or, if you are willing to live with the mileage and can find one, a sonata embera would make one heck of a buy around 6.5 L
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 21:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
If its a used petrol, it has to be under 5L. A used diesel, am willing to go up to 10. But for my usage, its a petrol, and putting in any more than 5L is sacrilegious.
One thing I would like to add(although this may be specific to north India) is that 5 odd Lakhs is the mental limit most buyers in the used car segment have in mind. Anything above 5L, and people around you start coaxing you to rather buy a new vehicle.

Hence, things become a lot more interesting beyond this price range. Someone having a 7L budget in mind will be blesses with a lot more options, and cars with low mileage/lesser vintage.

5L for Petrol and 10L for diesel? I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 11:50   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Something like this, may be?

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...nda/Jazz.html/
prakash_ajp is online now   Reply With Quote