Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th August 2012, 12:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is this the right time to buy used luxury petrol cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Been seeing his ads for quite a while across all places (he started at 6.2 and then dropped to 6), but that car is way over priced in the market right now. 4.5L is the going rate +/- 25k depending on the condition of the car.

I think the Honda Jazz fits my requirement best :-)
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:43   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Been seeing his ads for quite a while across all places (he started at 6.2 and then dropped to 6), but that car is way over priced in the market right now. 4.5L is the going rate +/- 25k depending on the condition of the car.

I think the Honda Jazz fits my requirement best :-)
That's why I said 'something like this'

I thought the pricing was on the higher side too. And may be he hasn't realized this yet.
prakash_ajp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
That's why I said 'something like this'

I thought the pricing was on the higher side too. And may be he hasn't realized this yet.
He hasn't...the car's been on sale for over 2 months (and maybe longer) now. Wonder when the hell he's gonna relocate.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 16:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Which would be a good car to get, for a CNG conversion? I am thinking of MS SX4. 2010 models seem to be going for 4-4.5. Any other alternatives?
Budget 5L tops, lesser the better.
Dry Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 13:34   #65

Question Re: Is this the right time to buy used luxury petrol cars?

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I think this is the best thread for posting my query.
I am from Chennai and started working just last year. Dad owns a Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CRDI and it is a very old car with around 1.8 lac kms on the ODO.

Best part is, my dad works in the main Hyundai factory, Chennai as a manager and has a 25% off on hyundai cars (once in lifetime). I think it is time for me to buy a car and the options I have from Hyundai are Elite i20 or Verna 4S which cost around 8Lac and 11 Lac respectively for the top end models (after 25% ).

But I am confused. I have been a fan of Bimmers for a long time now and badly want to own one. I see a lot of ads for 2007/2008 petrol 3 series with 50k-60k kms on the odo on olx, carwale etc., for 10 lakhs-13 lakhs.

I understand that maintenance is a issue with luxury cars but I am ready to shell out some money for owning a status symbol like this. Also, common thought is that luxury cars will be maintained better and will have driven less kms. Will appreciate if you can give me a number for annual maintenance cost.

What should I do now? Buy a hyundai now for a discount or buy a luxury used petrol? Kindly guide me.

MODS: Kindly move the post to an appropriate thread if this is not. Thank you.
cooltsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 15:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltsr View Post
...started working just last year. .

But I am confused. I have been a fan of Bimmers for a long time now and badly want to own one. I see a lot of ads for 2007/2008 petrol 3 series with 50k-60k kms on the odo on olx, carwale etc., for 10 lakhs-13 lakhs.

I understand that maintenance is a issue with luxury cars but I am ready to shell out some money for owning a status symbol like this. Also, common thought is that luxury cars will be maintained better and will have driven less kms. Will appreciate if you can give me a number for annual maintenance cost.
Hey there!

Welcome to Team-Bhp & congratulations on starting work

Pretty much every one here is a fan of bimmers, no doubt. However, maintaining a pre-owned German that's out of the BSI coverage can get pretty tricky & very expensive. So, even if you do get a car for 10-13 big ones, chances are you'll be shelling out close to half of that for repairs, in case something goes wrong with a 7/8 year old out of warranty bimmer. Also, your logic about luxury cars being maintained better won't always pan out. There are plenty of threads here about people searching for used bimmers/mercs/audis that are less used, well maintained and available for cheap. The end result is that such cars are extremely hard to come by.

So, I'd recommend what any sensible chap here would. Buy a new car for now. Considering you've just started working, maybe you can save up some extra cash, and then later on indulge in maintaining a pre-owned german that you got for peanuts

Last edited by sourav9385 : 15th September 2015 at 15:43.
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 21:07   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltsr View Post
Sorry for re..... to an appropriate thread if this is not. Thank you.
I too would suggest you to get a new car over the older bimmer.

Yes, it is possible to find well maintained cars but don't forget that when something goes wrong and you don't have BSI, the spares will be expensive as they belong to a 30 odd lakh car ( though you paid only a third of it).

Happy motoring!
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 10:18   #68

Thumbs up Re: Is this the right time to buy used luxury petrol cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hey there!

Welcome to Team-Bhp & congratulations on starting work

So, I'd recommend what any sensible chap here would. Buy a new car for now. Considering you've just started working, maybe you can save up some extra cash, and then later on indulge in maintaining a pre-owned german that you got for peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I too would suggest you to get a new car over the older bimmer.

Yes, it is possible to find well maintained cars but don't forget that when something goes wrong and you don't have BSI, the spares will be expensive as they belong to a 30 odd lakh car ( though you paid only a third of it).

Happy motoring!
Thanks batterylow and Sourav. Guess I should be shifting to 'Elite I20' and 'Verna 4S' threads from 'GTO's Pre-worshipped Beast' thread.
Wish I had more options to choose from but for now sticking to the Koreans.
cooltsr is offline   Reply With Quote