Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 10:55   #196
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Main thing about Innova is the Reliability aspect and resale value. World Over Toyotas have a legacy for being reliable and running on and on.

So far there has been no 7/8 seater MUV/SUV to beat the Innova (save for the R350). All these factors make Innova a hot seller than other makes. I for one believe that I might have 5 features that would work for 10 years rather than 20 features that work for 3 years.

Toyota so far has been the best company on solving issues and concerns effectively (not doing tactical talk)
i am not trying to add much, The way you have put these lines, i love it.
"All these factors make Innova a hot seller than other makes. I for one believe that I might have 5 features that would work for 10 years rather than 20 features that work for 3 years."

Regarding the best company on solving issues, I think, even Toyota has commited its own share of mistakes, they have done many recalls in the international market including Lexus (The famous Drive by wire issue). (Not comparing with any other company)

The best part of Toyota is that, The brakes/other parts may fail sometimes but the Engine keeps on running for years. This makes the customer feel that, the car is Ultra reliable as it enables mobility (to some people called cabbies).
gemi_kk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 20:13   #197
BHPian
 
McTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Agreed, Innova is not VFM; but looking at the number of trips my colleague makes to the service center with his XUV, I am extremely happy with my ride, just because I don't have that kind of time to make an en-route service stop every third day.

No doubt I would have loved it more, if Toyota gave me few useful features as a puddle lamp, a remote for the ICE, few more storage slots in and around the dash and a variable speed adjust for the wind shield wiper (than just the three steps).

Also, saw a positive note on the After Sales Service and the customer relations in this thread, which I am not very sure of, with my experiences so far. First service, I was told, was just water wash. Since I wasn't sure what my driver said, I personally took it there when the second service was due. To my horror, a neat car went inside and a battered up one came out. It was dripping water when it was brought for delivery, very carelessly wiped here and there, front left mud guard popped out and hanging and to top it all, series of paint scratches on the left panel near the headlamps (apparently some clown has pulled the water hose; soiled may be, over the left side). The service guy, after some screaming, agreed to wash and wipe again, but I refused to send the car again in. Shot out an email to Toyota customer care with all the details; got a call from someone after 4-5 days who asked the details and assured that the complaint would be forwarded to the "concerned department". I guess, that is "The End" as I am yet to hear anything since the last 15 days. Of course, I learn that this sort of arrogance is only in Bangalore..!!! But still, if Toyota cannot ensure consistency in customer experience across locations at their dealers, with all their "processes" in place, the end of the road may not be very far.

Last edited by McTurbo : 12th November 2012 at 20:14.
McTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 20:47   #198
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

This thread is getting interesting, with fantastic points coming in from all folks. For me, the deal swinger in favor of the Innova was my wife. I am an auto enthusiast, not her. I made sure not to prejudice her mind with the 'Innova has the best ride' thought. We compared only the Xylo Vs the Innova (The Ertiga was still just on paper in Jan 2012).

Before we took a test drive, she told me very clearly to stick to the Xylo E6, not even the E8 - keeping ONLY budget in mind. Our situation was that my parents are with us in most of our trips, and we have two kids. We knew that in all trips it is my wife who will have to take the 3rd row. She has motion sickness. So we decided to take a back to back test drive, with she sitting in the 3rd row - first in a Xylo, and then in an Innova. After the test drive, she told me - let's either not but an MUV, or buy the Innova. Remember, she knows nothing about ride-handling compromise, low travel suspension, steering feedback, or anything of that sort. It was purely based on how she felt in the 3rd row. We made sure we drove both vehicles on the same stretch of battered roads we had selected.

We stretched our budget, switched to a 7 year SBI loan, and bought the Innova GX.

(Note - I had ruled out the XUV due to the niggles).
sdmn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 23:58   #199
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

PS - I realised that the pre 2012 facelift models used to come with a rear SONAR aka parking sensors. This was taken out in the new model where a rear camera was added. I find this a bit odd - a bit of sound is always welcome in addition to the rear view and Toyota should have continued with that. I have a rear camera as well as a parking sensor and I find the beep pretty handy.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 14:09   #200
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
PS - I realised that the pre 2012 facelift models used to come with a rear SONAR aka parking sensors. This was taken out in the new model where a rear camera was added. I find this a bit odd - a bit of sound is always welcome in addition to the rear view and Toyota should have continued with that. I have a rear camera as well as a parking sensor and I find the beep pretty handy.
True, but there's a nuance about the 2012 VX variant camera that even the dealers and service centers don't quite appreciate or highlight. The camera is mounted under the license plate lamp housing, and it gives the 'top down' view of the rear bumper - in other words, you can see the edges of the rear bumper, making the sensors redundant.

When I tried getting this installed as an accessory in Feb 2012 in my GX, Toyota didn't offer one. They only had the standard 'mount on the bumper' type of camera, which I had to make do with. It is of limited use, as you cannot see the bumper itself, and then sensors are very useful. I checked back with Toyota again last month - they still don't have the VX type of camera available as an accessory. Too bad!
sdmn is offline  
Old 15th December 2012, 15:05   #201
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 956 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
True, but there's a nuance about the 2012 VX variant camera that even the dealers and service centers don't quite appreciate or highlight. The camera is mounted under the license plate lamp housing, and it gives the 'top down' view of the rear bumper - in other words, you can see the edges of the rear bumper, making the sensors redundant.

When I tried getting this installed as an accessory in Feb 2012 in my GX, Toyota didn't offer one. They only had the standard 'mount on the bumper' type of camera, which I had to make do with. It is of limited use, as you cannot see the bumper itself, and then sensors are very useful. I checked back with Toyota again last month - they still don't have the VX type of camera available as an accessory. Too bad!
You could have checked in after-market, the Innova-type camera's are available. You can have a look at the install I had on our Etios here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ota-etios.html (*Installed* - Reverse Parking System on Our Toyota Etios). I had to cut the bumper in my case but you could check how best to integrate it in the tail gate where it is factory-fitted on VX. Some metal cutting may be required there but will not give you the factory-finish.

This camera is immensely useful and can eliminate the need for sensors. But sensors can also become useful sometimes in such a install as the camera can show direct view of ditches on ground and its judgement wrt the rear bumper whereas sensors can give better judgement to farther obstacles at the rear.
parsh is offline  
Old 15th December 2012, 16:28   #202
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
if Toyota cannot ensure consistency in customer experience across locations at their dealers, with all their "processes" in place, the end of the road may not be very far.
I for one, do not like Toyota's after sales even one bit. Local dealer in my town is below par, service experience leaves a lot to be desired. Mechanics, technicians, etc. knowledge/know-how is ok, greedy dealers are the main culprits.
AWD is offline  
Old 15th December 2012, 21:43   #203
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I for one, do not like Toyota's after sales even one bit. Local dealer in my town is below par, service experience leaves a lot to be desired. Mechanics, technicians, etc. knowledge/know-how is ok, greedy dealers are the main culprits.
It seems like the dealer is spoling the name of Toyota here (i mean in your city) but it would be great if toyota realizes and changes the dealer.

Doing a service ourselves is better than going to a sub-experience technician and getting the works is an headache. By the way where do you live? Any details you can post about the Toyota A.S.S and its workmen in the "Car Dealership Thread"?!

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now  
Old 18th January 2013, 10:34   #204
BHPian
 
McTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It seems like the dealer is spoling the name of Toyota here (i mean in your city) but it would be great if toyota realizes and changes the dealer
Anurag.
Well, Toyota doesn't seem to bother as I am yet to hear from them about my concerns about last service logged Nov 2012, either on email or on phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Doing a service ourselves is better than going to a sub-experience technician Anurag.
Do we have a choice here? At least we need to get all services done by "qualified Toyota technicians" to retain the warranty.

Nevertheless, the ride is doing excellently well. Just completed a 1500+ km round trip Bangalore - Kerala - Bangalore during the year-end break and I just felt like going to office and coming back on any other day. No back pain, no left leg fatigue from the clutch, no arm muscle fatigue from the steering.. just sheer pleasure of motoring. These used to be regular issues with my Ikon whenever I took her on a long drive.

Disappointments? Yes. Kids felt very bad that they are not able to watch "Finding Nemo" except when the car stopped and the hand break was on. By the way, I tried cheating, by lifting the hand break few centimeters, just to the point where the hand break warning lamp came on and driving. But as soon as the speedo crossed may be 5km/hr (?? cant be sure though) the video disappeared (what technology is that !!)

Badly felt the need for a dead pedal and cruise control as most of the Kerala roads have speed checks.

Felt the headlamp throw little too short even with the leveler at it highest position especially at night speeds of 50+. The distance that is lit up is not enough to identify a threat and react at those speeds. High beam does the job, but somehow I hate to drive high beam unless it is really required.

Thus it is a 100/100 on ride comfort, performance & efficiency. So as rightly put by Anurag, a good product as long as you can live with the greedy dealers or smart enough to manage them. Don't expect anything from Toyota, as from my experience, they just don't care. Why should they, after all, when their products are moving even with regular price hikes every 3 months?
McTurbo is offline  
Old 7th March 2013, 16:07   #205
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 733
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Anyone here a second time buyer of Innova. We were all but decided to buy the Innova. But after speaking to sales guys and seeing the price list, paying exactly 50% more premium for the same car 6 years down the line is starting to hurt a little. In Dec 2006 we picked G4 model for 10 lakhs. Equivalent model now is Gx which is 15 lakhs on road. Vx is costing close to 17.3 lakhs. Atleast they should have updated the engine. Toyota is surely ripping of people. Further they do not even seem to have any loyalty bonus or anything. Essentially zero discounts.

I am now wondering if it is better to pick the Innova or some other car or a good pre owned car. Budget we can stretch upto 30 lakhs
indian21r is offline  
Old 7th March 2013, 16:30   #206
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: GHAZIABAD
Posts: 41
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

For the same reason, bought a 2013 Ertiga. This is in addition to G3 2005 innova which was bought for ~ 8.9 lakhs!!!

After using both of them i can happily say that innova is a better car but Ertiga is a much better buy.
sharad_agl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 16:53   #207
BHPian
 
prsnck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Anyone here a second time buyer of Innova. We were all but decided to buy the Innova. But after speaking to sales guys and seeing the price list, paying exactly 50% more premium for the same car 6 years down the line is starting to hurt a little. In Dec 2006 we picked G4 model for 10 lakhs. Equivalent model now is Gx which is 15 lakhs on road. Vx is costing close to 17.3 lakhs. Atleast they should have updated the engine. Toyota is surely ripping of people. Further they do not even seem to have any loyalty bonus or anything. Essentially zero discounts.

I am now wondering if it is better to pick the Innova or some other car or a good pre owned car. Budget we can stretch upto 30 lakhs
We (The entire family) are potential second time buyers of Innova. Ours being a joint family (3) have enjoyed firstly Sumo Victa for 5 years and then moved on to Innova Gx 2010 model. Since the usage was less and hard to run in with little parking space in city for a daily basis, we sold it. I told about thousand times not to sell it, now they are feeling the pinch whenever there is a long journey. I need to gamble on this.

OK, rather bored you with our (sad) story of departing the innova. I have driven 1,75,000 run Innova and our 20k run innova. I did not feel a single niggle or issues while driving. Maybe clutch was on the harder side on the max run vehicle. That's it !! That is the quality of Innova. And I bet you can re-sale it without much loss, or not any loss considering the run-in you do and it hardly ages. Very much the same as Honda City (I drive a 08 model NHC). I stronlgy urge you go for a pre-owned Innova if the price hike is pinching you. But now every Innova seller knows this really well. But still I hope you will get a decent seller. It's very true you have told, really they are ripping the Innova customers rather the new buyers. Not a single new feature (other than some cosmetic updates) for the sky rocket price they are charging now. It's like a real estate (should re-name). Another rare dislike for Innova is it A/c, its not that chilling at all I would say.

Even after these hikes, still they have decent sales, that is another reason for no discounts at all. Don't go for Fortuner, its not worth that price and compared to the feel and suspension of Innova. And absurd mileage too I heard.

If your need is on the Innova lines (MUV) stick to that only !! That engine which gives you ample amount of surge and power without asking, that comfort and secure feeling, I never had from any other vehicles.

My little cents !


rgrds
prsn
prsnck is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 22:29   #208
BHPian
 
tazmaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 660
Thanked: 1,128 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Anyone here a second time buyer of Innova. We were all but decided to buy the Innova. But after speaking to sales guys and seeing the price list, paying exactly 50% more premium for the same car 6 years down the line is starting to hurt a little. In Dec 2006 we picked G4 model for 10 lakhs. Equivalent model now is Gx which is 15 lakhs on road. Vx is costing close to 17.3 lakhs. Atleast they should have updated the engine. Toyota is surely ripping of people. Further they do not even seem to have any loyalty bonus or anything. Essentially zero discounts.

I am now wondering if it is better to pick the Innova or some other car or a good pre owned car. Budget we can stretch upto 30 lakhs
I sold my 1.7 odd lacs km old 2008 innova and bought a 2012 innova over a fortuner (for better ride), ertiga (Space), Aria (reliability), XUV 500 (looks no offense), santafe, captiva were too expensive for my taste.

Already covered 17000 kms in 5 months and I am damn happy. You being an innova owner I dont need to tell you why I am happy!

My friend sold his innova and bought the XUV, I envy the features of his car and he envys the comfort of mine. I use a driver and am damn happy with the rear seat! Simple
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 09:52   #209
BHPian
 
rrsteer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 144022
Posts: 940
Thanked: 893 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

My Innova is now 6 months, 17 k old and is providing me with one of the most satisfying ownership experience for any consumer durable owned. (excuse me for extending the meaning of CDs to an automobile)

I know Toyota milked me like I was one fat Jersey cow, but I have long gone past that sore thought.

OT-- can anyone tell me if the Innova 2012 has an OBD II port?
rrsteer is offline  
Old 8th March 2013, 11:45   #210
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 733
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharad_agl View Post
After using both of them i can happily say that innova is a better car but Ertiga is a much better buy.
Ertiga will be too small for us. And well we already have a swift. Don't want 2 cars to have same interiors

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Even after these hikes, still they have decent sales, that is another reason for no discounts at all. Don't go for Fortuner, its not worth that price and compared to the feel and suspension of Innova. And absurd mileage too I heard. If your need is on the Innova lines (MUV) stick to that only !! That engine which gives you ample amount of surge and power without asking, that comfort and secure feeling, I never had from any other vehicles.
Innova is one car that ticks all the boxes even if it is a repeat. I am really surprised that almost 7 years after its launch there is no exact competition for it. Ertiga is probably the only once close to replicating it. I have not driven the Fortuner, so just want to check it. We will also be checking other SUV's in the 20-30 lakh bracket today.

If we are picking up an Innova it will be GX 7 seater, similar to the 2006 G4 model we sold except for the ABS. I realized that other than ACC, rear wiper and Passenger Airbag, rest of the upgrades are purely cosmetic. Plus the DVD touch screen is not useful when driving and when the car is parked generally only the driver is in car. Steering mounted controls do not have mute. 2.5 lakhs premium of VX does not give you really useful features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I sold my 1.7 odd lacs km old 2008 innova and bought a 2012 innova over a fortuner (for better ride), ertiga (Space), Aria (reliability), XUV 500 (looks no offense), santafe, captiva were too expensive for my taste.

Already covered 17000 kms in 5 months and I am damn happy. You being an innova owner I dont need to tell you why I am happy!

My friend sold his innova and bought the XUV, I envy the features of his car and he envys the comfort of mine. I use a driver and am damn happy with the rear seat! Simple
Rear Captain seat, well nothing comes close to Innova in this. Hire a driver and you can sit/sleep comfortably for hours together in the captain seats. Even the 3rd row is quite comfortable for long runs.

By the way how many of you here opted for the VX over the GX
indian21r is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look noopster The Indian Car Scene 1001 6th December 2017 11:57
2014 Skoda Yeti Facelift : A Close Look Jaggu The Indian Car Scene 122 24th October 2017 23:23
2014 Nissan Sunny Facelift : A Close Look FlyingSpur The Indian Car Scene 82 3rd May 2017 11:02
A Close Look at the 2013 Mercedes E-Class Facelift khan_sultan The Indian Car Scene 44 12th June 2016 18:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks