Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 28th December 2011, 16:31   #46
BHPian

Default Re: A close look at the 2012 Toyota Innova facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Anil, the i10 AT starts at ~5.6 lacs OTR now, you were really lucky to get a Magna AT. As far as the Innova goes, I think I would probably be willing to live with a 4-speed Auto, even though I'd still feel stupid somewhere knowing an Altis owner just got a 7-speed Auto for almost the same money.
Hopefully we will get to see an AT in the next "facelift". AT Innovas are available in the international markets (especially Indonesia / Argentina), but they are mainly gasolene engines. Though there are Automatic Transmissions in the diesel variant, it is the "old" 4 Speed one. Also the cost (manufacturing as well as running) for the automatic variant is more. So that may be the reason for not introducing the AT in Innova.
Unfortunately like the Corolla Altis, there is no CVT even in the international market for Innova.
So let us wait and watch.
Old 28th December 2011, 18:40   #47
BHPian

Welcome changes in both the cars innova as well as fortuner. What I expected was that the fortuner's changes should have been radically different from the innova's. The only drawback IMO of the fortuner was that its interiors were identical to the innova and with the current changes the story remains the same.
Old 29th December 2011, 09:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

I kinda liked the front end, especially the bonnet.
IMO full chrome grill would look much better.

As far as Innova & Fortuner comparison, I look at it the other way. I'm getting a car for half the price of a car with similar specs and identical interiors!! Isn't it a deal?
Old 29th December 2011, 11:27   #49
BHPian

Boring facelift. The HU looks so garish and out of place. IMO, Toyota is relying on part commonisation b/w Innova & Fortuner to save bucks.
Old 29th December 2011, 15:51   #50
BHPian

Wow a cut and paste upgrade. That's a first
The similarity in changes between the fortuner and the innova really had me confused. I was wondering when i had similar thoughts about gaudy chrome and silver!
Old 29th December 2011, 18:38   #51
BHPian

Just because people are buying, shouldn't the car look good. I am seriously against this attitude from Toyota. All the new designs which are latest from the Toyota engineers are dull and sick.
Old 29th December 2011, 18:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Boring facelift. The HU looks so garish and out of place. IMO, Toyota is relying on part commonisation b/w Innova & Fortuner to save bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Just because people are buying, shouldn't the car look good. I am seriously against this attitude from Toyota. All the new designs which are latest from the Toyota engineers are dull and sick.
Personally i prefer reliability to cosmetics. If a company can spend the money on making the car more reliable, that company would have my money rather than a company who makes good looking cars which are not so reliable.

I am in fact considering Innova/Fortuner for my next upgrade.
scopriobharath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 20:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007
Historically Toyotas are never good looker and are always boring. But, they always score high in reliability department and that's what matters to lot of people.
Old 29th December 2011, 20:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I kinda liked the front end, especially the bonnet.
IMO full chrome grill would look much better.

As far as Innova & Fortuner comparison, I look at it the other way. I'm getting a car for half the price of a car with similar specs and identical interiors!! Isn't it a deal?
Indeed, a very positive way to look at things!!!
But on the flip side, what would be the viewpoint of a Fortuner owner?
Old 30th December 2011, 00:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Historically Toyotas are never good looker and are always boring. But, they always score high in reliability department and that's what matters to lot of people.
Not only are they boring to look at, they are boring to drive as well. You can literally fall asleep while driving Toyota's any model. Hope the FT-86 changes that just like celica and supra did.

They scored high in reliability department where they faltered last year and all other companies have caught up with them.
Old 30th December 2011, 00:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

They scored high in reliability department where they faltered last year and all other companies have caught up with them.
We are going OT here in Toyota Innova thread but do check out 2011 Consumer Reports. Toyota and Lexus, both are back to their usual Reliability Ratings standard of pre-2010 year. At the same time, as per consumer reports, Ford and GM has slipped in reliability. This is all from consumer reports of USA market.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:10   #57
BHPian

From the inside, it looks amazing. However, I thing Toyota could have done some tweeking to the exterior body as from outside it looks dated and similar to the older sibling.
From inside their is not much difference between Innova and Fortuner, which is actually not good and both the vehicle are from a different league alltogether. This could be a negative side for the company, as apart from the 4X4 more features would have been provided to in Fortuner which are actually not existing in Innova.
Old 30th December 2011, 13:06   #58
BHPian

Off course in the current motor world almost all the cars are reliable. It is not that a complete crap can be sold by any company or for that matter no car buyer is a fool to buy a car which is not reliable. You pay for what you get. Toyota cars are premium priced and so is the quality. I agree that the defect rate is less for any Toyota cars. I see reliability from a defect point of view. Small niggles and rattles and minor complaints cannot be defective product and this cannot be called reliability.

I am not against Toyota nor in favour of any manufacturer. I am more aware about Tata,Hyundai and Maruthi since i own these cars.
Old 30th December 2011, 13:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

I liked that chrome from tail lamp cluster is gone but didn't like shape of head lamp unit. I feel that grill without chrome would look better.

Reverse camera: Where is it housed? Doesn't seem to be in the bumper at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Toyota seems to be integrating their vehicles with a family look. Both the new Fortuner & the new Innova are looking similar to the Altis / Camry (see head-lights). Personally, I prefer the earlier looks of both of these.
I agree that Toyota family look of headlights doesn't go well with Innova. I feel that grill had to be changed because of headlights or other way round.

Do we have any chance of Toyota adding safety feature like ABS in mid-variants?
Old 30th December 2011, 16:20   #60
BHPian

Hiding this post from my dad. Who desists the Fortuner for the innova like looks, interiors etc.

To quote him "I am buying the car for myself, not for the driver."

It is disappointing how both Innova and Fortuner play a step brotherly role. Similar genetics, yet the Innova doesn't get a better heart, and the fortuner doesnt get better looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I read the 2012 Fortuner review and then landed on this thread. I found the new styling to be almost identical. It could be the camera angles for both thre reviews, but I sound them to be too similar. Have made a comparison of pictures that I found very similar.

The picture on top is from Fortuner 2012 and the one below is from Innova 2012.

Source of pictures: TBHP threads from GTO.

Grill. Is this the new toyota style? Looked very similar to me in the first glance. Now lets move on.
Attachment 859944

Interior
Attachment 859945

Steering and instrument cluster
Attachment 859946

Head Units. Also, the clock above the HU looks to be the same
Attachment 859948

Damn! Even the ORVMs look like twins
Attachment 859947
Closed Thread