Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 19:12   #16
BHPian
 
misquitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Panjim
Posts: 859
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The WagonR & A-Star have that 3 cylinder 1.0 L petrol.
If I am not mistaken, the same K-series 1.0 L petrol engine is shared by WagonR, A-Star, Estilo and Alto K10.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 19:33   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
If I am not mistaken, the same K-series 1.0 L petrol engine is shared by WagonR, A-Star, Estilo and Alto K10.
Yes all of them have the same engine. The only differentiator as far as performance is concerned is the car weight, Alto K10 being lightest and the most streamlined and A Star the heaviest, Wagon R marginally less than A Star.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 20:03   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 133
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

We need to add the erstwhile Ford Ikon and Fusion using the same TDCI engine. The fusion shares the same 1.6L plant with the Ford Fiesta. The Maruti Zen Estillo also uses the same K series engine along with the WagonR. Around the Hyundai i20, I am not sure if it uses the 1.2L VTVT engine or is still running the Kappa version. I must say this is a very interesting thread as the same engine used in multiple cars with different tuning and setup with contrasting driving experience and fuel economy, road behavior.
sparsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 21:37   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,839
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I think the the indica turbo diesel and the venture share the same 1.4TDI engine from Tata.
I think this was also used in the Indica vista TDI (does it exist now ?)
you are correct. add to that the various indigo variants - regular, cs, marina etc
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 22:34   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Ford Figo & Fiesta share that 1.4 TDCi diesel and, hopefully, the 1.6 soon
Are you certain the 1.6 will be plonked in the Figo now or later. The 1.6 was a goog engine and if shared with Figo, it can be a true enthusiast's car. To be honest, I didnt quite like the 1.4 diesel. The Figo's brilliant chasis deserves a better powerplant.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:24   #21
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Are you certain the 1.6 will be plonked in the Figo now or later. The 1.6 was a goog engine and if shared with Figo, it can be a true enthusiast's car. To be honest, I didnt quite like the 1.4 diesel. The Figo's brilliant chasis deserves a better powerplant.
i dont think Ford would bring in the 1.6L powerplant as already figo petrol owners are complaining of low fuel mileage on FB page. Again positioning the product in the minds of the people need to change.

I like the 1.4L TDCi better than others (except 1.5dci of Nissan/Renault) and the reason i think you would have guessed by now.. LOWER TURBO LAG!! shortcomings like the old technology, more sound not withstanding.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:01   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
i dont think Ford would bring in the 1.6L powerplant as already figo petrol owners are complaining of low fuel mileage on FB page. Again positioning the product in the minds of the people need to change.

I like the 1.4L TDCi better than others (except 1.5dci of Nissan/Renault) and the reason i think you would have guessed by now.. LOWER TURBO LAG!! shortcomings like the old technology, more sound not withstanding.
Thats a shame. The 1.6 would really cut the mustard in the Figo.
No matter how much competent the 1.4L diesel be, it is by no means a scorcher for an enthusiast. Off course it is miles ahead of its petrol counterpart, but I would rather take the Swift than Figo or Micra. It is true you dont feel the turbo-lag, but then you dont feel the turbo punch at all.

And the 1.2L is fuel inefficient because it is a small engine pulling a quite heavy car. I dont think there is much to loose in terms of FE if a 1.6L is plonked in.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:14   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,197 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Nice thread. It always seems ironic to me that Fiat's 1.3MJD sells better under other brands (Tata, Maruti Suzuki) than its own!

Question for the experts: the 1 litre Beat diesel engine is also a variant of the same 1.3MJD, albeit with one cylinder knocked off. Does this mean that the 1.2 petrol and diesel mills that power the Polo and Fabia are derived from the 1.6'es that power the Vento/Rapid as well? Or are they different 3-pot engines altogther?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 21:18   #24
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nice thread. It always seems ironic to me that Fiat's 1.3MJD sells better under other brands (Tata, Maruti Suzuki) than its own!

Question for the experts: the 1 litre Beat diesel engine is also a variant of the same 1.3MJD, albeit with one cylinder knocked off. Does this mean that the 1.2 petrol and diesel mills that power the Polo and Fabia are derived from the 1.6'es that power the Vento/Rapid as well? Or are they different 3-pot engines altogther?
The simple way to find that is check if boreXstroke(in cms)=Actual size of 1.6Engine - Actual size of 1.2Engine
If it is so then it is actually the cylinder knocked of from the 1.6 engine if not then
it could still be with minor modifications or a new engine

Sir, I hope the logic need not be explained. Its simple right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Thats a shame. The 1.6 would really cut the mustard in the Figo.
No matter how much competent the 1.4L diesel be, it is by no means a scorcher for an enthusiast. Off course it is miles ahead of its petrol counterpart, but I would rather take the Swift than Figo or Micra. It is true you dont feel the turbo-lag, but then you dont feel the turbo punch at all.

And the 1.2L is fuel inefficient because it is a small engine pulling a quite heavy car. I dont think there is much to loose in terms of FE if a 1.6L is plonked in.
Well coming to think about it I think you are right about the mileage with the 1.6Engine from Fiesta. But I think then with 1.6L then the tax cuts from govt will not be there anymore. Then figo is not going to sell in that bracket anymore. I think it should be marketed as a seperate car and not figo. Ford should give a minor facelift and this engine and make a sportz version. and then flashy marketing campaign.

Last edited by figo_mba : 2nd January 2012 at 21:28.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 21:42   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 154
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The Figo's brilliant chasis deserves a better powerplant.
+1 - also better road clearance
vinukm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 22:14   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,769
Thanked: 89,490 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

India's runner-up National Engine certainly has a broader application than the Fiat 1.3L MJD. Just think about it : The Renault 1.5 diesel powers hatchbacks, sedans, MUVs (Evalia) and SUVs (Duster).

Further, the price band is wider than the MJD : From a 4 lakh Micra to a 16 lakh Fluence!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 22:40   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,028 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

But i guess this must be the longest list and widest range(Price). VAG 2.0 TDI is present in base Laura costing 15lakh from Audi A6 costing 40lakhs(Rough ex-showroom prices).
  1. Skoda Yeti
  2. Skoda Laura
  3. Skoda Superb
  4. VW Jetta
  5. VW Passat
  6. Audi A4
  7. Audi A6
  8. Audi Q3
  9. Audi Q5
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 00:02   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Shared engines across brands/models

Toyota's 1.4L D-4D is shared between the Liva, Etios and the Altis
vikramv007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Global Brands and Best Automotive Brands vasudeva The International Automotive Scene 4 9th October 2015 09:21
Reva - owner's experiences shared brilliantlights Long-Term Ownership Reviews 11 14th August 2013 14:10
Case For Foreign Brands Making Spares Of Older Models Available anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 9 13th April 2012 15:43
Premium brands going down the value-for-money road, & VFM brands becoming overpriced! GTO The Indian Car Scene 66 19th February 2011 12:24
1.3Multi-Jet to be shared by Swift,Punto Grand, new Indica and Aveo! in India jkdas The Indian Car Scene 3 26th April 2006 18:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks