Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 28th November 2012, 11:59   #1681
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
7 lakhs OTR Bangalore? Fat chance!

Do you know what you'd get for 7 lakhs OTR Bangalore? You'd get the base Liva diesel and possibly, the mid-variant Ford Figo diesel. I highly doubt that I'd be able to buy a base EcoSPort for the same price.

I'm guessing OTR prices start at nothing less than 8.5 lakhs in Bangalore and it will go into double-figures once you go higher in the variant list. And I'm thinking optimistically.
Let's not compare On-Road prices that vary hugely due to road taxes (imagine on-road price for Army personnel in Jammu, Jamshedpur and Chandigarh is even lower than Exshowroom Delhi). No manufacturer can possibly keep all locations happy with same on-road pricing across India unless the Govt. policies change.

By the way, I shudder to think what will happen to the New Global Fiesta that is already a dud once EcoSport comes in with this awesome pricing?
Old 28th November 2012, 12:09   #1682
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

I have been following this thread right from the beginning and I lost count of how many times we have started speculating about the price. We start with some piece of information (like in this case the launch date) but invariably end up discussing the price. I hereby pledge that I will not think about EcoSport's price ever again, UNTIL Ford announces the price. Because with no additional information on that front coming our way we will anyways circle back to the same arguments again and again. However, before I do that one last time I have to say I agree with Suhaas and anyone else here who thinks the variant that most people would want to buy cannot be < 10 OTR in Bangalore. Because if it is, I am marrying Katrina Kaif
suchit23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 12:29   #1683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
I feel for India following Key features may be provided as standard
1. Sync
2. Abs/Airbag (Atleast ABS should be standard)
3. Music system with Bluetooth
4. Follow me head lamps
5. Power windows/remote lock-unlock central locking
6. Audio controls steering wheel ( Brasil and Argentina got them as standard, hope same for India also)
7. Refrigerated glovbox.
8. Multi functional display 3.5’’
9. EPAS(Electric power steering)
10. Engine immobilizer
11. ISOFIX for rear seats - 60/40 split

I have come across Argentina and Brasil specs across the variants, please find the below spec details:
As I said in my previous post I strongly feel they will provide Sync and ABS(May be) standard on all variants, which they can afford for the 12% tax benefit.

I have also studied the Argentina and Brazil specs (Showcased in my previous posts). I feel the specs at least will be 80% same with Indian specs if not same.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:37   #1684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23
I have been following this thread right from the beginning and I lost count of how many times we have started speculating about the price. We start with some piece of information (like in this case the launch date) but invariably end up discussing the price. I hereby pledge that I will not think about EcoSport's price ever again, UNTIL Ford announces the price. Because with no additional information on that front coming our way we will anyways circle back to the same arguments again and again. However, before I do that one last time I have to say I agree with Suhaas and anyone else here who thinks the variant that most people would want to buy cannot be < 10 OTR in Bangalore. Because if it is, I am marrying Katrina Kaif
But this time some members claim to have gotten some good info about the price.
That is the reason why all of us are discussing it

Last edited by agambhandari : 28th November 2012 at 12:38.
Old 28th November 2012, 13:06   #1685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This 'base' petrol variant. What will it be?

Will it be the EcoBoost engine?

No. Highly unlikely.
I'd made his point in the previous page and some of the subsequent posts have made me think again.

The petrol engine option is generally the base engine in most cars offered today. The diesel always had a pedestal for itself - it commands a substantial premium over its petrol counterpart.

However, the EcoBoost engine is making us think twice. By the virtue of its advanced-tech tag, it might command a premium. It's quite possible that Ford will price the petrol and diesel closely.

I was under the impression that Ford will give us the 1.5 petrol in the new Fiesta and price it to be the base-engine. But - as rightly pointed out by other members in the previous page - that does not make sense due to the additional tax levied upon larger engines making it more expensive that it should be. Ford will obviously look at availing the tax-benefits by plonking the smaller EcoBoost engine in a car that is otherwise designed keeping in mind the taxes levied on cars that don't meet the Govt. regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I don't mean to sound of offending but in my city the swift costs an on road price of 6.7 lakhs for the VDi Trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
Let's not compare On-Road prices that vary hugely due to road taxes (imagine on-road price for Army personnel in Jammu, Jamshedpur and Chandigarh is even lower than Exshowroom Delhi). No manufacturer can possibly keep all locations happy with same on-road pricing across India unless the Govt. policies change.
Yes it probably isn't wise to compare OTR prices given that taxes differ from State to State.

The point though I'm trying to make is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
...UNTIL Ford announces the price. Because with no additional information on that front coming our way we will anyways circle back to the same arguments again and again..
+1

*grins* You're absolutely right. But these is a certain thrill in speculation, if it's done logically. In this case, it's a little complicated given that the EcoBoost engine is new-tech and is probably more expensive to produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
But this time some members claim to have gotten some good info about the price.
That is the reason why all of us are discussing it
True. Not questioning the reliability of the sources, but even if they are absolutely bang-on, it's always best to hear it from the horses mouth.
Old 28th November 2012, 13:56   #1686
Distinguished - BHPian

Irrespective of the engine (Ecoboost 1.0 / 1.5L petrol / 1.5 diesel), the key for success should be the pricing of the base variant. The Fiesta base version had safety features on par with some of the competition’s top variant, but the jacked up starting price acted as a deterrent and the product never took off. Its sad, but if they have to grab the attention of masses, a stripdown version with a super low introductory price will be the key. Once the product catches up, frequent price revisions will not do much harm because the product by then would have got the so-called VFM tag.
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 17:33   #1687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Irrespective of the engine (Ecoboost 1.0 / 1.5L petrol / 1.5 diesel), the key for success should be the pricing of the base variant. The Fiesta base version had safety features on par with some of the competition's top variant, but the jacked up starting price acted as a deterrent and the product never took off. Its sad, but if they have to grab the attention of masses, a stripdown version with a super low introductory price will be the key. Once the product catches up, frequent price revisions will not do much harm because the product by then would have got the so-called VFM tag.
Rightly said, that's what works in india. Examples, the Duster and XUV( lot of price revisions).
Indians still don't seem to take safety seriously.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 16:54   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I asked the salesman of the local dealer about the Ecosport release, and he said it would be in their showroom by Jan end. Deliveries are to commence from March, 2013.

But the dampener was that Ford will be using the 1.4 tdci that is there in the Figo, and not the 1.5 of the new Fiesta. I'm not sure if his information is correct, but he was firm in his views.

I also believe they are taking bookings now, with 50K as the deposit.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:21   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys
But the dampener was that Ford will be using the 1.4 tdci that is there in the Figo, and not the 1.5 of the new Fiesta.
If this is true, then it should also bring down the cost right ?
If driven exclusively in the city means i would rather own a lower priced 1.4l Ecosport than a higher priced one with a 1.5l oil burner.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:27   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
If this is true, then it should also bring down the cost right ?
If driven exclusively in the city means i would rather own a lower priced 1.4l Ecosport than a higher priced one with a 1.5l oil burner.
I don't think many buyers would fancy an old engine like that, especially on a heavier SUV.

Why would someone go for an Ecosport tdci with a 69 bhp engine compared to the 85 and 110 twins of the Duster?
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 17:41   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think many buyers would fancy an old engine like that, especially on a heavier SUV.

Why would someone go for an Ecosport tdci with a 69 bhp engine compared to the 85 and 110 twins of the Duster?
The 1.4 TDCi makes sense for Ford to keep the price competitive. Unlike the 1.5 TDCi, the 1.4 TDCi engine has been in production in Chennai for a number of years reaching good economies of scale. Perhaps they may add an intercooler to bump the output up by a couple of bhps. This addition will not make a huge dent in R&D investment. Makes sense to me but mere speculation anyway!
Old 29th November 2012, 17:47   #1692
BHPian

Quote:

Yes you are right.
What i actually meant was, if in case Ecosport too came in with 2 diesel options like the Duster, then the 1.4 TDCI(probably retuned) at a lower cost compared to 1.5, would interest a lot of buyers. Especially the ones who don't hit the highways often.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:49   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel

The 1.4 TDCi makes sense for Ford to keep the price competitive. Unlike the 1.5 TDCi, the 1.4 TDCi engine has been in production in Chennai for a number of years reaching good economies of scale. Perhaps they may add an intercooler to bump the output up by a couple of bhps. This addition will not make a huge dent in R&D investment. Makes sense to me but mere speculation anyway!
This would be a utter flop idea, IMHO.. Not sure Who would buy a old generation diesel engine. I own a Fiesta and at the given year, I would say the engine is out dated for a sedan or for most expected ecosport. It just fits a hatchback.
Old 29th November 2012, 18:07   #1694
BHPian

There is a possibility that Ford is emulating what Renault and Hyundai did for the Duster and Verna respectively-offer two diesel engines and price the product across two segments!!Only concern is that the 1.4 Diesel COULD be a tad too underpowered!!
Old 29th November 2012, 18:19   #1695
Senior - BHPian

I doubt the 1.4TDCi part!

The EcoSport is from the Fiesta platform and it would make sense for Ford to have the same engine between the EcoS and the Fiesta Sedan. Most reports on the EcoS have confirmed the 1.5TDCi too!
Closed Thread