Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd December 2012, 10:12   #1726
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
But I have a question does considering the Eco-sport petrol ecoboost engine which Ford says will give a fuel efficiency of around 19KMPL make sense to you at the current rate of petrol and if you have a monthly run of about 3-3.5K kms?
I don't know what the fuel costs in your neck of the woods are, but taking the approximation from Delhi, if we peg petrol @ Rs. 68/- per liter and diesel @ Rs. 47/- per liter, and the fuel efficiency of both engines at 16 kpl (instead of the 19kpl being spoken about), then the running cost comes to Rs. 4.25/- + Rs. 0.75/- (for maintenance, etc.) = Rs. 5.00/- per km for petrol and 2.9/- + Rs. 1.10/- (for maintenance, etc.) = Rs. 4.00/- per km for diesel. I have factored in the cost of insurance there; the 1.0 litre Ecoboost petrol will probably cost at least Rs. 5000/- a year less than the 1.5l diesel (weighted, on a pro-rata basis over the years).

The extra on-road cost of the diesel vehicle over the petrol version gets pretty much nullified at resale, in fact the diesel recovers much more than what it costs extra, so there's a major advantage there, but let's ignore that for now, coz that's in the future and the extra cost is now, so taking opportunity cost etc and all that, let's just drop that. And look at only the difference of Rs. 1.00 per km saving, in favour of the diesel.

At 3.5k km per month x 12 = 42k km a year, you are looking at saving Rs. 42k per annum. Depending on how many years you intend staying wedded to this vehicle, multiply the gains accordingly, and see which one you'd like to bring home to mamma!

PS: I've rounded off the numbers for convenience, and I suspect I've been a little harsh on the maintenance costs of the diesel, so you may add, or reduce it with a pinch of 0.25p to 0.35p worth of salt, here or there.
Prabal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:30   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I don't know what the fuel costs in your neck of the woods are, but taking the approximation from Delhi, if we peg petrol @ Rs. 68/- per liter and diesel @ Rs. 47/- per liter, and the fuel efficiency of both engines at 16 kpl (instead of the 19kpl being spoken about), then the running cost comes to Rs. 4.25/- + Rs. 0.75/- (for maintenance, etc.) = Rs. 5.00/- per km for petrol and 2.9/- + Rs. 1.10/- (for maintenance, etc.) = Rs. 4.00/- per km for diesel. I have factored in the cost of insurance there; the 1.0 litre Ecoboost petrol will probably cost at least Rs. 5000/- a year less than the 1.5l diesel (weighted, on a pro-rata basis over the years).

The extra on-road cost of the diesel vehicle over the petrol version gets pretty much nullified at resale, in fact the diesel recovers much more than what it costs extra, so there's a major advantage there, but let's ignore that for now, coz that's in the future and the extra cost is now, so taking opportunity cost etc and all that, let's just drop that. And look at only the difference of Rs. 1.00 per km saving, in favour of the diesel.

At 3.5k km per month x 12 = 42k km a year, you are looking at saving Rs. 42k per annum. Depending on how many years you intend staying wedded to this vehicle, multiply the gains accordingly, and see which one you'd like to bring home to mamma!

PS: I've rounded off the numbers for convenience, and I suspect I've been a little harsh on the maintenance costs of the diesel, so you may add, or reduce it with a pinch of 0.25p to 0.35p worth of salt, here or there.
Wonderful!

Now, to take this a notch further - this is totally the wrong thread, but still. Let's factor in a price difference of 1.5 lakhs between the top end petrol and diesel models respectively. So you take the extra 1.5 lakhs and put it in an FD at 7% per annum - and you get about 10,500 per year. Net that off with 42,000 and you still lose about 30,000.

If say, you run a more realistic 1,500 kms a month = 18,000 kms a year. That's 18,000 rupees a year lost in fuel - netting that off with the interest on FD (haven't deducted TDS yet ) and you still lose 8k a year.

All in all, from a purely financial angle, if you have the dough - it just makes tremendous sense to get the diesel. And if that petrol mileage drops to 13 or 14 kmpl (time spent at traffic signals on sunny days), you're done for.

The whole idea is - IS that 1.5 lakh premium you pay for the diesel recoverable? Going by current resale value standards and I really expect car prices to rise in the next 2-3 years of ownership - this 1.5 lakh will get nullified for sure.

Last edited by Red Liner : 3rd December 2012 at 10:33.
Red Liner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:30   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
I am waiting for the Ford Eco-sport to be officially launched before I make a decision between the Eco-sport and the Duster. I hope that Ford does come out with the Diesel Ecosport within the first quarter of 2013 cause otherwise they are going to lose a lot of customers like me to the Duster.But I have a question does considering the Eco-sport petrol ecoboost engine which Ford says will give a fuel efficiency of around 19KMPL make sense to you at the current rate of petrol and if you have a monthly run of about 3-3.5K kms?
Even though we Goans enjoy the cheapest petrol in India, 3k km per month warrants a diesel.The 1lakh odd extra that you may pay for the diesel will be recovered by high resale value of the diesel and lower price of the fuel. I think the government wont increase diesel prices or put any tax on cars till 2014 and maybe even later..The eco boost may not have the traditional 1lakh difference between petrol and diesel so the difference may be even less which makes it perfect to choose the diesel. The 1.5 TDCi in the new fiesta gives very good efficiency so i will expect somewhat similar figures for the ecosport.

OT: Is Renault planning on opening a dealership in Goa soon??

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 3rd December 2012 at 11:38.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:55   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to go for the diesel option purely for the resale value? even if you have running of less than 800 kilometre a month
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:58   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Does it make sense to go for the diesel option purely for the resale value? even if you have running of less than 800 kilometre a month
Well, if I need money, the first thing to go will be a quickly depreciating asset that's locked in a million bucks - yes.
Red Liner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:58   #1731

This link should help you guys comparing Diesel and Petrol expenses http://aravindavk.in/diesel-vs-petrol-car/
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:47   #1732
BHPian

Ford's Nepal subsidiary announced the launch of Ecosport. http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/in...&news_id=45889 There they are saying Ecosport would be launched in March and they are saying that only petrol version would be available initially. At present most of their cars are being exported from India (Figo, Classic and New Fiesta) so obliviously Ecosport also will be imported from India. So does this mean that in India also we will get only Petrol First.

The spoke person giving a hint on pricing also. he is saying the price would be below 4 Million. The figo pricing starts at 1.849 Million. So if you do the math the top end would be coming to 12.124 lakhs. (This he is saying for automatic one in the top variant). So the base one would come to around 8-9 L. (This is my rough prediction)
anumod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 11:37   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Got dad to pre-book the Ecosport in Mysore. They wanted 25k booking amount, but agreed for 10k on some negotiation. The other option is the Duster but with the price increases I think the Duster is a little too expensive, more so in Karnataka.

Guys, how big is the boot in the Ecosport ? Will it take 3 golf bags standing up..?
Old 4th December 2012, 13:55   #1734
BHPian

10k for pre-book is great. Not getting the same response at Chandigarh the dealers are asking for 50k to prebook diesel.

Anyway Ford is testing patience.

Launching pertrol makes sense to give time for Ecoboost to establish. But that should be launched in Jan for diesel they should at least start in Feb. March April are too far away.
Old 4th December 2012, 20:30   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
There is another consideration in the Petrol versus Diesel decision process specific tot he Ecosport. The Petrol is going to come with the the 1.0 L Ecoboost, one of the most advanced engines globally, India being one of the first 5 countries in the world to get it. It delivers impressive power, torque and fuel economy and it is going to be a conversation piece in your social circles. On the other hand, the Diesel mills (1.4/1.5/1.6 L) are all ancient, based on the same basic architecture Ford introduced almost a decade back in 2003. The petrol will also be available with Dual Clutch Automatic transmission, again one of the recent technological innovations in the auto world, while the Diesel will get traditional 5-speed manual gearbox that has been around for a long time in India and elsewhere.

For discerning customers in India, who want the latest technology available globally, there is quite a chasm between the engines/transmissions of the Petrol versus the Diesel Ecosport will factor into the decision process.
Old 4th December 2012, 20:57   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Petrol is going to come with the the 1.0 L Ecoboost, one of the most advanced engines globally, India being one of the first 5 countries in the world to get it. It delivers impressive power, torque and fuel economy and it is going to be a conversation piece in your social circles.
Will that bring the question of how good the service will be since its a new engine? The knowledge and experience of the service centers in handling issues related to this engine would also be a concern right?
Old 4th December 2012, 21:24   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Will that bring the question of how good the service will be since its a new engine? The knowledge and experience of the service centers in handling issues related to this engine would also be a concern right?
This is a very valid question & if anyone has even the slightest doubt about not just the performance, but most importantly the sustainability of this engine in Indian operating conditions & fuel that we get in our PSU bunks, then it would be prudent to wait for at least 6 months to a year & get feedback on this engine. If Ford engineers have burnt the midnight oil (I sincerely hope they have, as Ford is very fond of midnight sales) & have tested it extensively in the Indian conditions, then we can safely assume that it would be a reliable engine.

Personally though, I believe in "No replacement for displacement". The higher the cc of the engine, the more relaxed it is, which would result in much better longevity. However I would like to give the Ecoboost a chance & after one year of observation, once I am convinced about its durability, only then I would take the plunge. The initial owners, would no doubt be the guinea pigs & Ford mechanics would learn the tricks of the trade at their cost (XUV 5OO anybody?)
Old 4th December 2012, 21:33   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon

There is another consideration in the Petrol versus Diesel decision process specific tot he Ecosport. The Petrol is going to come with the the 1.0 L Ecoboost, one of the most advanced engines globally, India being one of the first 5 countries in the world to get it. It delivers impressive power, torque and fuel economy and it is going to be a conversation piece in your social circles. On the other hand, the Diesel mills (1.4/1.5/1.6 L) are all ancient, based on the same basic architecture Ford introduced almost a decade back in 2003. The petrol will also be available with Dual Clutch Automatic transmission, again one of the recent technological innovations in the auto world, while the Diesel will get traditional 5-speed manual gearbox that has been around for a long time in India and elsewhere.

For discerning customers in India, who want the latest technology available globally, there is quite a chasm between the engines/transmissions of the Petrol versus the Diesel Ecosport will factor into the decision process.
I know all this and then some. New Tech is most welcome . But what good is it if it turns out to be a lot more expensive in the long run?
But these ancient engines are loved by most since they burn the cheaper fuel.
I just don't want a Petrol EcoSport to turn into a resale nightmare. Nobody buys a Petrol and when you finally manage to find a buyer, you part ways with the car for a dismal amount of money.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:20   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Based on our experience with the 1.6L petrol Fusion( which engine did not sell in any great numbers), I would say that there should not be any problem re service. Ford's systems are great & that is what it all boils down to.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:27   #1740
BHPian

I pre-booked the ford ecosport with the dealer today. The dealer has finally agreed for 25k as booking amount.

Now waiting for next month when Ford announce the launch. fingers crossed eagerly waiting for a great product ...
Closed Thread