Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2013, 17:07   #2071
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Interesting!!A reliable source tells me it is expected to be launched in the first week of feb with pricing around 7-10L ex-showroom!!There is a possibility of the launch being postponed to august!!

Cheers
Oh. Not sure. This was the information that my friend gave. He pointed out that it will stay under 10L.

The interiors will be similar to the new Fiesta.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:14   #2072
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This was the information that my friend gave. He pointed out that it will stay under 10L.
If this is true, the then I also expect a mild face lifted Fiesta sedan with a repriced strategy in 2013. At least 50-70K price cut.
And off course 2014 should see a 1L ecoboost'ed Fiesta with the famed dual clutch AT option on the offer !

Because 10L OTR for diesel top end Ecosport sounds like, a final nail in Fiesta's coffin.

Sorry for the OT.
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:18   #2073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If this is true, the then I also expect a mild face lifted Fiesta sedan with a repriced strategy in 2013. At least 50-70K price cut.
And off course 2014 should see a 1L ecoboost'ed Fiesta with the famed dual clutch AT option on the offer !

Because 10L OTR for diesel top end Ecosport sounds like, a final nail in Fiesta's coffin.

Sorry for the OT.
True. I asked him whether the on road price will touch 12L. He pointed out that it will never touch 12L. The range would be 7-10L. Not sure on the pricing but he sounded confident for me to believe it.
Anyways, keeping fingers crossed.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:31   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Pricing for this is going to be tricky for Ford. Going by logic the Ecosport diesel should be the most cost competitive.

The 1.5L diesel is largely localised and qualifies for the 12% Excise Duty, while the 1.5L petrol will come under the 24% excise slab.

The Ecoboost on the other hand falls under the 12% slab, but this engine is high tech and will be imported to start with. Localisation will happen once the Gujarat plant is operational.

Because of this and the very fact that the 1.5L petrol is also going to be on offer makes me think that the Ecoboost will be expensive.

The Fiesta on the other hand falls under the 27% excise slab. So make this consideration when predicting the Ecosport pricing.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:42   #2075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The Fiesta on the other hand falls under the 27% excise slab. So make this consideration when predicting the Ecosport pricing.
One thing is very clear that we will mostly see price points criss-crossing across segments. A simple example being Duster pricing going into XUV territory.
With oncoming VW and other brands it would become even more complicated.

But in this maze, at least, a company's own product pricing range should have minimum overlaps so that it does not result in its own products getting killed.
At least Ford needs to ensure that. In the case of Fiesta, India sales have been disastrous to say the least. But given the fact that Ford makes it's cash on this product
in other countries (thanks to global platform), they may choose to cannibalise the sales here in India against Ecosport pricing. We need to see how this strategy unrolls.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd January 2013 at 17:43.
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:50   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

But given the fact that Ford makes it's cash on this product
in other countries (thanks to global platform), they may choose to cannibalise the sales here in India against Ecosport pricing. We need to see how this strategy unrolls.
+1. The fiesta is already dead in India. Ford can't go wrong with Ecosport pricing in order to save fiesta. Ecosport is their most awaited product so far. They HAVE to price it right. They may come out with some other strategy to revive fiesta sales.
kopakabana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:09   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Latest Update:

Source - My friend who is an Engineer working at Ford Factory

Tentative Launch Date - Anytime between Feb last week to March mid
On road price - 7 to 10L
Engine options - Diesel 1.5, Petrol 1ltr Ecoboost and 1.5ltr
Any news on the Petrol AT option ? Has anyone even spotted an AT version in India?
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:25   #2078
BHPian

Yes a few AT mules have been spotted in India. There were some pics few pages back, although no one seems to know if that AT is mated to the ecoboost engine or the older 1.5 one.
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:27   #2079
BHPian

Waiting for the formal info from Ford on ES. The 1.0 Ecoboost+AT is high on the list of contenders for the next change from wifey's i20.

With low annual running diesel does not make sense & ES would be the perfect softroader for occasional weekend jaunts to off beaten track places where I absolutely do not want to take the low slung sedans
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:00   #2080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post

Any news on the Petrol AT option ? Has anyone even spotted an AT version in India?
The cars which were spotted in Kerala had an AT version amongst. From the person who spotted it, it was mated to the 1.5L engine from Fiesta. Makes sense as mating the AT to Ecoboost may shoot up the price.

I guess if the Ecoboost catches up, we might see an AT launch later along with a diesel AT. Purely speculating though.
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:06   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

The cars which were spotted in Kerala had an AT version amongst. From the person who spotted it, it was mated to the 1.5L engine from Fiesta. Makes sense as mating the AT to Ecoboost may shoot up the price.
Yes, the AT is only on the 1.5 petrol. It can be seen in the images of the AT car which lacked the EcoBoost Badging.

But i don't get the choice of engine. The 1.5 although cheaper to make will attract nearly double the excise duty. Add to it the already high cost of AT.
It spells disaster for sub 4m car.
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:15   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Latest Update:

Source - My friend who is an Engineer working at Ford Factory

Tentative Launch Date - Anytime between Feb last week to March mid
On road price - 7 to 10L
Naveen,
This report seems to bring in some relief for a huge crowd who awaits the launch of Ford Ecosport from the time Ford displayed the prototype in the Auto Expo last year. The reports regarding the launch delayed to the month of August was something too long to wait for.
The pricing mentioned would surely bring smiles on everyone's face who have been part of the Ecosport buzz. But still I have my fingers crossed until the final price lists are out because its the same manufacturer who exorbitantly priced Fiesta Sedan!

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 2nd January 2013 at 20:19.
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:52   #2083
Senior - BHPian

Another reason Fiesta took a big hit is probably because the Classic(old Fiesta) is a very good alternative for the prospective sedan buyers and most folks didn't see enough value addition in new Fiesta over the Classic to justify the price difference. Pricing for Classic already had the benefit of parts sharing with Figo, which made the difference higher.

With good sales from Ecosport and increased localization/parts sharing, Ford could even look at lowering the prices for Fiesta down the line once they have enough combined volume.

They can either have two overpriced duds that share the parts by pricing Ecosport to protect Fiesta or two well priced and successful models down the line that share the parts contributing to each other's success. I'm pretty sure they would choose the latter option considering they've already experienced the success with Figo/Classic.
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:16   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Latest Update:

Gosh, that's a sweet price range ! to Ford, if they do so .But, i wonder how they are going to price both the Petrol motors. Although the Ecoboost motor benefits from Excise duty, it still is costly motor than the natural aspirated 1.5L na? Or is it going to be 1.5L Petrol , just for the AT ?
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:26   #2085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopakabana View Post
@naveen.raju- can you confirm from your friend, the mileage figures for ecosport? i know i'm asking for a litle too much, but the wait is killing me
. True, you are asking a little too much. They havent released the figures. They are on with the mileage test. Should have some information on this soon. Will definitely update when I get the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
1.5 petrol will have the AT version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
Naveen,
This report seems to bring in some relief for a huge crowd who awaits the launch of Ford Ecosport from the time Ford displayed the prototype in the Auto Expo last year. The reports regarding the launch delayed to the month of August was something too long to wait for.
The pricing mentioned would surely bring smiles on everyone's face who have been part of the Ecosport buzz. But still I have my fingers crossed until the final price lists are out because its the same manufacturer who exorbitantly priced Fiesta Sedan!
Definitely. This should turn things around. I was shocked when I got this information from him. Hope it is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Gosh, that's a sweet price range ! to Ford, if they do so .But, i wonder how they are going to price both the Petrol motors. Although the Ecoboost motor benefits from Excise duty, it still is costly motor than the natural aspirated 1.5L na? Or is it going to be 1.5L Petrol , just for the AT ?
Fingers crossed dude. Let's hope the information will be true. I have a feeling that 1.5 should have the AT version. Didnt get any information regarding the AT version. Will update the thread if I get any news regarding this.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread