Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th January 2013, 12:29   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
...I would rather take a better car six months later than one with glitches now.
Absolutely! We have heard enough of XUV 5oo stories on this forum!

That said, expecting a zero niggle car from the very first production lot would be a tad too unrealistic I believe. Anyways, lets keep our fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Bang on! The vehicle has temporary registration plates.... Seems it should be out soon in the market....Has Ford come up with an official launch schedule?

All test mules spotted carry similar plates. I guess they are Trade Certificate (TC) plates, which are used when unregistered vehicles are in transit. IMO, there is no nexus between these plates and the launch date.
Old 13th January 2013, 15:00   #2312
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Absolutely! We have heard enough of XUV 5oo stories on this forum!

That said, expecting a zero niggle car from the very first production lot would be a tad too unrealistic I believe. Anyways, lets keep our fingers crossed!
Well, save those niggles to the Tata's & Mahindra's only. My swift was probably amongst the first few cars manufactured, and it ran like a swansong all 7+ years. There are enough such examples for most other manufactures.

Guess it is the localization bit which is delaying the launch.
Old 13th January 2013, 16:40   #2313
BHPian

I have been drooling over the Duster for a few months now. But, after reading about rattles, water leakages and a few other niggles with Duster in with mileage of about 5K on the odo, I am disappointed. Even read of some cancellations on this forum primamrily for this reason.

I am looking for a car/mini-suv than handles well on bad roads, has good ground clearance, preferably a diesel.

As I was fixated on Duster, I did not even check the EcoSport thread. Now, I have started readin this and it looks promising. Looking at the test videos posted by a few bhpians (showing test of suspension, driving through an aritifical pool of water), I am tilting towards the EcoSport. Wouldn't mind the petrol engine as long as the FE is good.

Waiting for another 6 months might be difficult though!
Old 14th January 2013, 09:01   #2314
BHPian

According to a trusted source, Ecosport is still in pre production state. They have identified various issues from road tests and are in the process of fixing it. Lauch will have to wait for another 6 months.
Marlon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 09:47   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
Well, save those niggles to the Tata's & Mahindra's only. My swift was probably amongst the first few cars manufactured, and it ran like a swansong all 7+ years. There are enough such examples for most other manufactures.
It is nearly impossible to get a perfect car in v1. Whether the complete testing and addressing of issues happen before or after the launch distinguishes some manufacturers from others.

If you got a troublefree car from the first lot, it could be because the manufacturer did not rush the launch date and ensured the car had no niggles when they launched it. If you see Tata and Mahindra cars with niggles in the first lot, that is probably because they were under pressure to release the product and ended up releasing it before it was fully tested.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 09:47   #2316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
According to a trusted source, Ecosport is still in pre production state. They have identified various issues from road tests and are in the process of fixing it. Lauch will have to wait for another 6 months.
Interesting... unlike the Indian car makers, these guys want to fix all the problems before the launch. Wicked concept!
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 10:08   #2317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Interesting... unlike the Indian car makers, these guys want to fix all the problems before the launch. Wicked concept!
I feel they have identified some major issue during the initial road test runs. Don't think any small issues will cause such a long delay, specially when the platform its based on, is already tested in India.

I have my doubts set on the Ecoboost engine. That seems to be the one thing that untested in Indian conditions, and they could have run into issues with it. Low quality fuel, may be?
Old 14th January 2013, 10:24   #2318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren
It is nearly impossible to get a perfect car in v1. Whether the complete testing and addressing of issues happen before or after the launch distinguishes some manufacturers from others.
My all bikes are from the first lot, including the DTS-i Pulsar, bought on Nov 3 '03 (launch 15th Oct '03) and no issues. Same with others. Heck, the CBR which I have was manufactured (march '11) prior to it being launched (thanks to VIN) & I bought in Oct '11. No issues.

Same with R15 & Figo D (Dec '10)

I am not really generalizing, but I too would wait if the product is from a manufacturer which is known not to belt out niggle free product in its V1 iteration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I have my doubts set on the Ecoboost engine. That seems to be the one thing that untested in Indian conditions, and they could have run into issues with it. Low quality fuel, may be?
I for one am avoiding IOC outlets (save for one & near my place, so anyone else, don't sweat it out :-)) like a plague. Recently came across a news that someone who became a millionaire almost overnight provides cheap diesel & petrol to few IOC outlets. (something is added to increase the volume & makes it cheaper)

So low quality petrol is a concern.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 10:30   #2319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I feel they have identified some major issue during the initial road test runs. Don't think any small issues will cause such a long delay, specially when the platform its based on, is already tested in India.

I agree. I too feel that the quality of fuel could be playing spoilsport with the Ecoboost engine. Cannot think of any other issues that can hold up launch.
Old 14th January 2013, 11:10   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I have been drooling over the Duster for a few months now. But, after reading about rattles, water leakages and a few other niggles with Duster in with mileage of about 5K on the odo, I am disappointed. Even read of some cancellations on this forum primamrily for this reason.

I am looking for a car/mini-suv than handles well on bad roads, has good ground clearance, preferably a diesel.

As I was fixated on Duster, I did not even check the EcoSport thread. Now, I have started readin this and it looks promising. Looking at the test videos posted by a few bhpians (showing test of suspension, driving through an aritifical pool of water), I am tilting towards the EcoSport. Wouldn't mind the petrol engine as long as the FE is good.

Waiting for another 6 months might be difficult though!
What an irony. We have folks from the Duster thread hopping over here to check the Ecosport, and we have BHPians from this thread jumping over to the Duster thread, thanks to the perpetual delay of the Ecosport

That said, I am not sure if problems with the Ecoboost engine would push the launch by as much as 6 months! The 1.5 TDCi is tried & tested, and thats the volume puller in any case. They might as well would have launched it, and launched Ecoboost later..
Old 14th January 2013, 11:31   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
What an irony. We have folks from the Duster thread hopping over here to check the Ecosport, and we have BHPians from this thread jumping over to the Duster thread, thanks to the perpetual delay of the Ecosport

That said, I am not sure if problems with the Ecoboost engine would push the launch by as much as 6 months! The 1.5 TDCi is tried & tested, and thats the volume puller in any case. They might as well would have launched it, and launched Ecoboost later..
Seems the delay is owing to the high level of localization Ford India is targeting for the ecosport and not due to any technical issues with the car..And the official launch may in fact only happen in the middle of the year.

Refer link below for more:
http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/i...-launch-66561/
Rokztar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 11:39   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And they can do so without much pressure. What other launch in this segment is expected? Practically no real threats as far as i can see! Hope they do a good job.
Old 14th January 2013, 11:54   #2323
BHPian

I will be in the car market for a new car in July-Sept 2013 time frame. Seeing all the threads, it looks like that will be the time when EcoSport is available. But I am not really an early adopter. Also my budget allows me to stretch to the 15-20 lacs bracket. But from the pictures and videos the cross over seems to be very attractive, though a bit small.

Any guesses as to whether there will be a diesel automatic version? If the price point in less than 12 lakhs, then a petrol automatic is also fine, just that I will have to retain it for atleast 6-7 years due to the possible bad resale market.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:02   #2324
BHPian

EcoSport meant for China is longer than both the Indian and Brazilian versions, with a length measuring 39 mm more. The wheelbase has a 9 mm increase.

The 1.5 Liter petrol engine on the Chinese EcoSport produces a peak power of 110 Bhp while peak torque is rated at 138 Nm.

For India, Ford will launch the 2013 EcoSport with the option of the a 1.5 Liter, 90 Bhp-200 Nm TDCI turbo diesel engine===> worth the wait.

hmmm intersting!

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/t...ariants-64964/
Old 14th January 2013, 13:26   #2325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
Any guesses as to whether there will be a diesel automatic version? If the price point in less than 12 lakhs, then a petrol automatic is also fine, just that I will have to retain it for atleast 6-7 years due to the possible bad resale market.
As per the current report, only petrol will have the AT. This is not yet confirmed. This is news got from various sources. Reliable or not, have to wait couple of months.
Closed Thread