Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st January 2012, 19:35   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
It will just be a display. The car will be locked and the windows will be darkened. You can just basically see the car exteriors up close.
That is what I don't like If you don't want the public to touch & feel the car then at least have transparent windows (with see through glasses). Don't lock the car, keep the doors open or at least the windows rolled down so that we can have a glimpse inside. 99% of the time you are going to look the car from inside (except of course you decide not to drive it & just buy it as a show piece). When will Ford learn this ? Or is it that the Ecosport, which is going to carry the same DNA of the Fiesta & hence not so confident about its interiors don't want to disappoint everyone right at the start?
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 20:19   #287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles

Thanks Mustang! Any idea on when that's going to be happening? Even tentatively?
I heard that it is already on. Better check up by calling the mall. I will ask around and get you confirmed news tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian

That is what I don't like If you don't want the public to touch & feel the car then at least have transparent windows (with see through glasses). Don't lock the car, keep the doors open or at least the windows rolled down so that we can have a glimpse inside. 99% of the time you are going to look the car from inside (except of course you decide not to drive it & just buy it as a show piece). When will Ford learn this ? Or is it that the Ecosport, which is going to carry the same DNA of the Fiesta & hence not so confident about its interiors don't want to disappoint everyone right at the start?

The car currently has only the rough interiors which means it is all black, has no color, even the ford logo is not placed on the steering wheel. There are no dials, no stereo and is looking like a stripped out car as the interiors have not been finalized.

I am sure nobody would be pleased to see the car in such a state. The company will show you the interiors as soon as they are finalized which will be very soon.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 21st January 2012 at 20:28.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 20:41   #288
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
The car currently has only the rough interiors which means it is all black, has no color, even the ford logo is not placed on the steering wheel. There are no dials, no stereo and is looking like a stripped out car as the interiors have not been finalized.
Thanks for that clarification Mustang. I can understand that no one would appreciate such a stripped out car, but then what's the next best? I am not interested in knowing the colour (black, grey, beige etc) or the logo on the steering wheel. What I am keen on knowing is the cabin space (front & rear seats). How much would be the boot space? Is there any centre hump in the middle of rear seats? Can you guide us amongst the existing Ecosports in various countries which one would have the nearest resemblance to the Indian version & share the interior pictures of such Ecosports. Hope I am not asking too much
Old 21st January 2012, 20:53   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Either they'll try to shock as with the dreadful red figo stuff, or the interiors will be the same-old Ford look.
Old 21st January 2012, 21:02   #290
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks for that clarification Mustang. I can understand that no one would appreciate such a stripped out car, but then what's the next best? I am not interested in knowing the colour (black, grey, beige etc) or the logo on the steering wheel. What I am keen on knowing is the cabin space (front & rear seats). How much would be the boot space? Is there any centre hump in the middle of rear seats? Can you guide us amongst the existing Ecosports in various countries which one would have the nearest resemblance to the Indian version & share the interior pictures of such Ecosports. Hope I am not asking too much

I will tell you the space. I have sort of sat in it and seen it. Its quite more than the new fiesta. The luggage space is huge. Much more than the fusion. There is a small hump in the middle. Its not that intrusive. The height of the hump might be around 2 inches +- 0.5 inch but space here might be compromised if ford puts rear ac vents, which i think it would.

This is the new generation of the ecosport and is hence not launched or even showcased in any other country. India will be the first country to know any of the details and also the first country in which the car will be launched. So wait patiently for official news. India will be the first to hear it.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 21st January 2012 at 21:04.
Mustang.101 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 21:24   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will tell you the space. I have sort of sat in it and seen it. Its quite more than the new fiesta. The luggage space is huge. Much more than the fusion.
If the front & back seats are quite comfortable (for 2 +3 seating) with loads of luggage space, then half the battle is won. Can you specify the seating & luggage space in terms of cc or litres, just for the sake of comparison with other cars in the league?

Quote:
There is a small hump in the middle. Its not that intrusive. The height of the hump might be around 2 inches +- 0.5 inch but space here might be compromised if ford puts rear ac vents, which i think it would.
I won't mind the small hump if it is going to be there for the sake of rear ac vents. The rear AC vents are a must for any Indian vehicle, especially so if the car has a large cabin space.

Let such information keep flowing Mustang so that even if we are not able to see the interiors (either in person or through pictures), we can at least build a virtual image & try to relate to it.
Old 21st January 2012, 21:31   #292
BANNED

Quote:

If the front & back seats are quite comfortable (for 2 +3 seating) with loads of luggage space, then half the battle is won. Can you specify the seating & luggage space in terms of cc or litres, just for the sake of comparison with other cars in the league?
it.
Can not provide any theoretical figures. Do not know about them and i guess no one here at ford india knows except maybe the big bosses.

Will share any info that i come across.
Old 21st January 2012, 21:36   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Can you specify the seating & luggage space in terms of cc or litres, just for the sake of comparison with other cars in the league?
Figo's is 284 and Fusion is around 340liters. So with increased height, it should be closer to some of the full size sedans. Figo's space itself is quite adequate for a family of 4 on a short weekend vacation.
Old 22nd January 2012, 11:24   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford ecosport is going to be displayed at 2 mumbai malls.

1. Infinity mall in malad
2. Inorbit mall in vashi
Mustang, the news @ the display of Ecosport has been confirmed by Carblogindia. In fact the SUV is already on dislpay at Infinity mall in Malad since 21st Jan. Below is the news extract:

To showcase its capabilities and latest design and gather people’s reaction on the same, Ford is showcasing its latest offering for India, the global model of Ford EcoSport 2012 which made its global debut at the Auto Expo 2012 at urban malls of Mumbai from January 20th to 29th. Mumbai will be the first city to get up close with Ford EcoSport after it won the hearts of automobile enthusiasts and received rave reviews from experts at its global preview at the Delhi Auto Show earlier this month. The car will also be on display at Infinity mall in Malad starting today till January 25th and then move on to Inorbit mall, Vasi from January 27th onwards.

Part of the ever growing Ford story in India, EcoSport – the new compact SUV will further augment Ford’s offering in India, as well as in many other markets across the globe. Modern and innovative, the all-new Ford EcoSport was designed to combine best-in-class design, technology, quality and safety aimed at attracting a new generation of consumers in different global markets.

“Indian customers have really embraced Ford, particularly since the launch of the hugely successful Ford Figo, and the all-new EcoSport will only further enhance our offerings in India in the near future,” said Nigel Wark, Executive Director, Marketing, Sales and Service, Ford India. “As we showcase the EcoSport in Mumbai, we are confident that consumers will be excited to witness and appreciate the aspirational look and feel of this compact SUV. EcoSport will be Ford’s second of the eight new vehicles to be launched by mid-decade in India.”

Unveiled by Ford Motor Company President and CEO Alan Mulally during Auto Expo 2012, the global compact SUV is the second of eight new vehicles that Ford plans to bring to India by mid-decade.

Created as the latest One Ford global product, the EcoSport will be a key model in expanding Ford’s presence in major worldwide growth markets, including India, Brazil and the ASEAN markets.

Ford is also bringing its global EcoBoost powertrain technology to India for the first time in the form of its newest and smallest-ever EcoBoost engine. With only three cylinders and 1.0 litre of displacement, the latest EcoBoost engine will provide fuel-efficient power for the EcoSport.

Despite its small capacity and proportions, the engine delivers power and performance that will rival a traditional 1.6-litre petrol engine while emitting less than 140g/km CO2.

Downsized EcoBoost engines feature turbocharging, direct injection and other technologies and replace larger engines with no loss of performance and with lower fuel consumption. Ultimately, this all-new engine will be made available in Ford models in China, Europe, North America and other regions.
Old 22nd January 2012, 17:47   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I won't mind the small hump if it is going to be there for the sake of rear ac vents. The rear AC vents are a must for any Indian vehicle, especially so if the car has a large cabin space.

Let such information keep flowing Mustang so that even if we are not able to see the interiors (either in person or through pictures), we can at least build a virtual image & try to relate to it.
I really dont see the point in discussing something about eco sport at this stage.... a zillion things can change / happen before the car is launched....
Old 23rd January 2012, 08:55   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem

I really dont see the point in discussing something about eco sport at this stage.... a zillion things can change / happen before the car is launched....
I agree. I don't really like this type of unveilling with just tidbits of info when the actual launch is 9-10 months away.

The same thing happened with the new Fiesta, with so much speculation and anticipation, and what a major letdown that was!
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:35   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I agree. I don't really like this type of unveilling with just tidbits of info when the actual launch is 9-10 months away.

The same thing happened with the new Fiesta, with so much speculation and anticipation, and what a major letdown that was!
OT: I don't quite agree with that thought process. Unveiling with tidbits helps build that excitement about a product till the actual launch happens. The new Fiesta fiasco can largely be attributed to the "over the top pricing". Remember the Vento & the Fluidic Verna had already started capturing the market & market expectations were the new Fiesta would better the competition in terms of specifications, features, performance etc & undercut on pricing. The exact opposite of that happened, it undercut on the specs & bettered on pricing, that was a major letdown I believe.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:54   #298
BHPian

Quote:
OT: I don't quite agree with that thought process. Unveiling with tidbits helps build that excitement about a product till the actual launch happens.
Totally agree with you. Always exciting to talk and speculate about future cars. Everybody knows that once the car is launched we'll get all the information we want.

In the particular case of the Ecosport, J Mays had said that the car was "97% complete", hence we can assume that the actual car will be close to the concept that's launched. If we were talking about something like say the Maruti small-SUV concept, then it would have been a bit pointless.

Did anyone manage to click pics of the Ecosport(s) on display in Mumbai?
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 10:51   #299
BHPian

Guys,

One interesting news, ACI in this month's edition claims that the Ecosport will NOT be under 4m. This is after excluding the external wheel. They say that it will be close to 4.25 m in length (+ wheel length). They also have quotes from some high ranking Ford representative confirming the same.

If true, I for one, will welcome this news. A person like me will not mind paying 40-50k extra for slightly bigger size. At under 4 m, its stretching the 'mini SUV' concept a little too much. It should at least look like a proper SUV (some of which has to do with at least a bare minimum size)

Any info on this Mr Mustang?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 24th January 2012 at 10:52.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 11:06   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,

One interesting news, ACI in this month's edition claims that the Ecosport will NOT be under 4m. This is after excluding the external wheel. They say that it will be close to 4.25 m in length (+ wheel length). They also have quotes from some high ranking Ford representative confirming the same.

Any info on this Mr Mustang?
That is a good news on comfort front but could be bad news on price front, as it would not qualify for the under 4m excise benefits. Nevertheless did the article have any mention about the wheel base, because that is what matters the most to decide the cabin space.
Closed Thread