Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th January 2012, 11:11   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

I doubt that. Previously, they have clearly mentioned that the 4m length is excluding the rear mounted wheel as the length gained by putting the wheel behind doesn't count when measuring the body length.
So I hope that they are still at the threshold 4m length to get the excise tax benefit so that we can look forward for competitive pricing.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:17   #302
BHPian

Default re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
That is a good news on comfort front but could be bad news on price front, as it would not qualify for the under 4m excise benefits. Nevertheless did the article have any mention about the wheel base, because that is what matters the most to decide the cabin space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I doubt that. Previously, they have clearly mentioned that the 4m length is excluding the rear mounted wheel as the length gained by putting the wheel behind doesn't count when measuring the body length.
So I hope that they are still at the threshold 4m length to get the excise tax benefit so that we can look forward for competitive pricing.
Its not me guys. ACI claims that they have this from the horse's mouth. Anyway, I generally take the rumours with a pinch of salt.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:33   #303
BHPian

Here's the ACI news item from their site:
Ford EcoSport not a ‘small car’ - News - Autocar India

They've interviewed the President of Asia Pacific and Africa, Joe Hinrichs who has confirmed that the car isn't under 4m in length. He says that the cost savings will come from high localization.

Expected length is around 4.25 m. That, plus the tail mounted spare wheel means it wont be a very small car, no?
Old 24th January 2012, 18:01   #304
BANNED

Ford ecosport will be around 4260 mm in length including the spare wheel and around 1970 mm in width.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th January 2012 at 21:53. Reason: excluding changed to including
Mustang.101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 18:07   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Ford ecosport will be around 4260 mm in length excluding the spare wheel and around 1970 mm in width.
I can understand that the length would be 4260mm, but Mustang are you really sure about the width? Below dimensions for Duster & Scorpio have been picked up from the Duster thread & if the above is true, then Ecosport would be wider than the duster by whopping 149mm (hard to believe). Are we missing here something? Is this width of Ecosport that you are quoting with side mirrors in open position? Please clarify

Duster:
Length 4315 mm
Width 1821 mm
Height 1631 mm
Wheelbase 2672 mm
Ground Clearance 210 mm

Scorpio:
Length 4430 mm
Width 1817 mm
Height 1975 mm
Wheelbase 2680 mm
Ground Clearance 180 mm
Old 24th January 2012, 18:39   #306
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian

I can understand that the length would be 4260mm, but Mustang are you really sure about the width? Below dimensions for Duster & Scorpio have been picked up from the Duster thread & if the above is true, then Ecosport would be wider than the duster by whopping 149mm (hard to believe). Are we missing here something? Is this width of Ecosport that you are quoting with side mirrors in open position? Please clarify

Duster:
Length 4315 mm
Width 1821 mm
Height 1631 mm
Wheelbase 2672 mm
Ground Clearance 210 mm

Scorpio:
Length 4430 mm
Width 1817 mm
Height 1975 mm
Wheelbase 2680 mm
Ground Clearance 180 mm
Aah nice question.

You see that the width i have given is firstly an approx value and secondly its with mirrors in the open position BUT the car width at with the mirrors closed will also be the same as the fender of the left tyre is in line with the lhs mirror and the fender of the right tyre is in line with the rhs mirror. Check this out in the pic below. Its not exactly visible but you can see that the car is extremely wide at the fenders.

EDIT - JUST GOT AN UPDATE AND FORD ECOSPORT LENGTH WILL BE 4250 mm INCLUDING THE SPARE TYRE.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 24th January 2012 at 18:43.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 18:49   #307
BHPian

Still seems something wrong with the width.

I think the old model Ecosport in Latin America used to be about 1975mm in width, but then it was also longer than 4250mm...
Old 24th January 2012, 19:29   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
EDIT - JUST GOT AN UPDATE AND FORD ECOSPORT LENGTH WILL BE 4250 mm INCLUDING THE SPARE TYRE.
Since the tyre width of the Ecosport displayed at Autoexpo was 205mm - refer the picture below (& assuming that it remains unchanged in the production vehicle), the car will be missing the under 4 metre mark just by a whisker (45mm to be precise, 4250-205=2045). Is that too miniscule for Ford to ignore this, given that the excise duty could form a substantial part of the ex-showroom price & from the experience of New Fiesta pricing would be "the" deciding factor.

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-tyre-size.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th January 2012 at 12:09. Reason: typo, written 4045 instead of 2045
Old 24th January 2012, 19:45   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Since the tyre width of the Ecosport displayed at Autoexpo was 205mm - refer the picture below (& assuming that it remains unchanged in the production vehicle), the car will be missing the under 4 metre mark just by a whisker (45mm to be precise, 4250-205=4045). Is that too miniscule for Ford to ignore this, given that the excise duty could form a substantial part of the ex-showroom price & from the experience of New Fiesta pricing would be "the" deciding factor.

Attachment 876501
I did not understand the logic of subtracting 205 (tire width) from the overall length Can you please explain this. I thought that the spare wheel is not considered a part of the length (from the excise norms perspective) anyway.
Also, 45mm is not easy to shave off - I remember Honda had a tough time bringing the Jazz under 4m and took some time to design the bumpers so that they still met Honda's safety standards while bringing the length below 4m

Last edited by viper_711 : 24th January 2012 at 19:47.
viper_711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 19:47   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Since the tyre width of the Ecosport displayed at Autoexpo was 205mm - refer the picture below (& assuming that it remains unchanged in the production vehicle), the car will be missing the under 4 metre mark just by a whisker (45mm to be precise, 4250-205=4045). Is that too miniscule for Ford to ignore this, given that the excise duty could form a substantial part of the ex-showroom price & from the experience of New Fiesta pricing would be "the" deciding factor.
Would it make sense to tailor the design just for India ? I mean it is a global model and has to meet safety norms much higher than ours, tailoring it in this way for a sales of 50k-60k (max ?) per annum somehow does not make sense to me.

They did it to the Fusion since it was not going to be replaced elsewhere and they had to get the sales moving atleast with the diesel variant. Even at that time I remember that the "chopped" bumpers were not present on the petrol variant.
Old 24th January 2012, 19:49   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 876501
Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Would it make sense to tailor the design just for India ? I mean it is a global model and has to meet safety norms much higher than ours, tailoring it in this way for a sales of 50k-60k (max ?) per annum somehow does not make sense to me.

They did it to the Fusion since it was not going to be replaced elsewhere and they had to get the sales moving atleast with the diesel variant. Even at that time I remember that the "chopped" bumpers were not present on the petrol variant.

I don't think the the spare-tyre on the boot-lid will be taken into consideration while determining the length of the car, for the purpose of allotting (or not) tax-benefits that will be enjoyed by the company (and consumer, hopefully)

So they may retain the spare-tyre on the boot-lid, and instead alter the overall dimensions of the car, so that it carefully falls under the 4m mark. Remember, this is a concept/prototype, and you could expect some tweaking before it hits the market. Also, don't expect it to be too different in terms of style. Going by Ford's general practice over the years, they have managed to retain 95% of the styling-cues from the original concept-prototype car and ensure that not much changes when it hits production.

I might be wrong though.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2012 at 19:53.
Old 24th January 2012, 20:01   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
I did not understand the logic of subtracting 205 (tire width) from the overall length. Can you please explain this. I thought that the spare wheel is not considered a part of the length (from the excise norms perspective) anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I don't think the the spare-tyre on the boot-lid will be taken into consideration while determining the length of the car, for the purpose of allotting (or not) tax-benefits that will be enjoyed by the company (and consumer, hopefully)
@Mustang.101 mentioned the length of the car as 4250mm including the spare wheel. So @AutoIndian was trying to calculate the length of vehicle [without the spare wheel by reducing the size 205mm from the total length] which will be considered for tax slabs. All of you were speaking of the same stuff, in different language!

The last para of the below link mentions that Ford might be working on a sub 4m by redesigning the bumper. I guess they will do it, because India is quite a price sensitive market. If I am not wrong, even Fiesta has some structural differences making the Indian spec slightly less secure compared to the global spec! So why not do the same on Ecosport as well.

Link: Ford EcoSport not a ‘small car’ - News - Autocar India

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th January 2012 at 20:02.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 20:05   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
I did not understand the logic of subtracting 205 (tire width) from the overall length Can you please explain this. I thought that the spare wheel is not considered a part of the length (from the excise norms perspective) anyway.
You are right the spare wheel is not considered as a part of car's overall length (from the excise norms perspective). Hence I deducted the 205mm (which is the width of the tyre that was adding up to the overall length of the car). Without the spare the car would still measure 4045mm (or 4.045m) in length, which is marginally higher that the 4 metre norm, hence not eligible for excise benefits. Hope I am clear now
Old 24th January 2012, 20:09   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

So they may retain the spare-tyre on the boot-lid, and instead alter the overall dimensions of the car, so that it carefully falls under the 4m mark. Remember, this is a concept/prototype, and you could expect some tweaking before it hits the market. Also, don't expect it to be too different...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
@Mustang.101 mentioned the length of the car as 4250mm including the spare wheel. So @AutoIndian was trying to calculate the length of vehicle [without the spare wheel by reducing the size 205mm from the total length] which will be considered for tax slabs. All of you were speaking of the same stuff, in different language!
That's what I said, Sir.

Only, I forgot to add that without taking the spare-wheel into consideration (it won't be), the Ecosport should be 4045-4060 mm (even without considering the spare, the bumper will be bound to protrude a bit, beyond the boot-lid, while the spare would sit flush on the boot-lid, hence the 15 mm levy)

Ford will tweak the bumpers so that the car's dimensions will be around 4175-4200 mm with the spare, and since the spare doesn't count, the length should be about a whisker under 4000 mm.

Also, I'd expect 195 section tyres on 65/70 profile being worn by smaller 16" wheels. I think the 17" wheels are just for the concept.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2012 at 20:13.
Old 24th January 2012, 21:02   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can understand that the length would be 4260mm, but Mustang are you really sure about the width?
+1
If width figures are correct, likely to be a pain for city driving.

Regards
Sutripta
Closed Thread