Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th January 2012, 23:52   #46
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford EcoSport Preview : Auto Expo 2012 --

I picked up this picture from the other thread on Ecosport, which is closed, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...-revealed.html

Name:  fordecosportgloballaunch6.jpg
Views: 6348
Size:  84.0 KB

The Ecosport looks very small (like a Figo on Steroids). May be it is a parallax error, but the car looks short from this angle.

Name:  fordecosportgloballaunch13.jpg
Views: 6397
Size:  81.9 KB

The size of Ecosport looks more towards the Premier Rio. The Renault Duster looks sooo much bigger. Good that i did not wait for this car and bought the Fiesta (Delivered today)
Old 5th January 2012, 00:06   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz
Looks very different, rugged, purposeful, a tad too small, seems like a tough mean hatchback with greater GC.

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but wont a 1 liter, 3 cylinder engine be a lil too underpowered for this beast?

I'm real glad though that there are more vehicles being launched in this segment. Really needed some fresh faces here.
The 1 l, 3 cyl engine has 120 PS of power and 170 Nm of torque which will be a little more than adequate for this car. This engine relies on turbo charging and direct injection to produce such high figures.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 00:12   #48
Team-BHP Support

Alright, so if Ford price this any where more than 10 lakhs, its going to be a total disaster. They need to ensure that the price does not hit double-digits at any costs. From the looks of it, the EcoSport is a hatch on stilts. Something like the Fusion. I expect it to be similarly sized.

Now with loads of tech going into this car, I'm not sure how Ford is going to end up pricing this. The sub-4 meter EcoSport should be exempted from certain duties, allowing Ford to price it well. Let's hope it doesn't go beyond their heads.

The Duster, which should be the EcoSport's immediate competition, is priced between 6-8 lakhs, and one can assume that the top-end should hit 10 lakhs by the time it's on the road, running on registration and everything. If Ford can price it slightly cheaper than the Duster, maybe in the 5-7 lakh bracket, it would be great.

But a 10 lakh raised-hatchback/mini-pseudo-crossover SUV powered by a small-displacement 3-pot engine may not go down to well with the uninformed car-buying audience. People tend to make straight-forward number comparisons, and often, it's what helps them in their decision.

Pricing is extremely crucial.
Old 5th January 2012, 00:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
You mean the fluidic Tucson as shown in the pic?

You must be comparing them due to large grill. The trend of large grill was started by Audi and many companies follow it.
Yes i was comparing it to new one. Its more because of dual trapezoidal grille that i said its looks the same. Large or small doesn't matter to me. For that matter, Escalade has even bigger grille.

Last edited by chevelle : 5th January 2012 at 00:26.
Old 5th January 2012, 00:45   #50
BHPian

@Suhaas - I agree, pricing will make or brake this one for sure.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th January 2012 at 02:16. Reason: Please avoid quoting along post specially if its on same page. Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 01:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Looks awesome, but a long way from Production. LHD and LEDs for all lights means this is still the concept version. So either they have the production car hidden somewhere camouflaged for testing, or this car is still a way off.

Super impressed with the engine, which promises frugal-power Will start saving if the production version is actually under 10L OTR and has the same engine, FE be dashed. Fingers crossed hoping it has Ford's superb hydraulic steering.

Last edited by VeluM : 5th January 2012 at 01:15.
Old 5th January 2012, 01:19   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Isn't it MUCH smaller than an XUV? It's supposed to be a sub 4-metre vehicle. That should really help the pricing bit. 118 bhp from a tiny turbocharged engine like that is impressive, but I can't help but be a bit skeptical about launching a new petrol-only model in a market where petrols are hardly moving.
Of course, they won't do what M&M did in Brazil - which was to sell Diesels in a petrol market.

This vehicle has been designed for Brazil and BY brazilians:

I just don't understand why they are wasting everyone's time in India unless they come out with concrete diesel plans. They know how well the Figo diesel has sold - yet they talk Petrol.

Are they out of touch with reality? or are just trying to milk the hype as much as they can before they actually talk of something that will practically sell in india!??
Old 5th January 2012, 02:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

One point I was thinking was no matter how much Ford explains the Ecoboost technology etc. An indian buyer is going to see only two specs for a car.
One being the price(lets assume Ford gets it right).
The second is the capacity of engine. Dont think the details like PS, BHP, Torque makes any sense to a regular Indian buyer.

So the moment he hears the capacity (i.e. 1L engine) he will start comparing it with the likes of WagonR and even A-Star etc. Not even Swift Ritz etc.
So even if they price it at 8L (which is a good price point) it might end up being termed costlier.
Only way out for Ford is to market the engine technology as well along with the product (like the K-series ads and the Kappa Ads). Unless this knowledge is percolated to customers they will ignore the car.

Last edited by xingamazon : 5th January 2012 at 02:36.
Old 5th January 2012, 02:50   #54

Question re: Ford EcoSport Preview : Auto Expo 2012 --

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_mouli View Post
The vehicle looks great from front and back. But from full side-on perspective, to me it looks more like a 'car' mounted on really BIG wheels!!
Is that only me with a funny vision?
No, you are not alone! When I first saw the thumbnails, i thought it was a hatch with big wheels. But I really love the back profile of this car

Just wondering, the 'Eco' in its name means this car will be Economical to own one SUV/CSUV or it is about the technology?
Old 5th January 2012, 07:49   #55
BHPian

Well at 8Lacs and above, I would expect the buyers to be knowledgeable and have complete details about their Birdy, but this is India and you never know for sure

But Ford has made me look back at them, I was completely blown away by XUV500, but here is another monster which gobbles the XUV500 in terms of styling.

I am also sure the fit and finish of Ford will be much better than XUV500.

Two things for sure will drive the sales

a) Price the petrol version less than 8 L

b) Launch a diesel variant around 9L

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
One point I was thinking was no matter how much Ford explains the Ecoboost technology etc. An indian buyer is going to see only two specs for a car.
One being the price(lets assume Ford gets it right).
The second is the capacity of engine. Dont think the details like PS, BHP, Torque makes any sense to a regular Indian buyer.

So the moment he hears the capacity (i.e. 1L engine) he will start comparing it with the likes of WagonR and even A-Star etc. Not even Swift Ritz etc.
So even if they price it at 8L (which is a good price point) it might end up being termed costlier.
Only way out for Ford is to market the engine technology as well along with the product (like the K-series ads and the Kappa Ads). Unless this knowledge is percolated to customers they will ignore the car.
Old 5th January 2012, 08:35   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, there will be one more thing they will listen to, the FE. If the FE turns out to be something crazy like 20kmpl, then they will be interested. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Old 5th January 2012, 08:43   #57
BHPian

I don't think Ford would do another Fusion with this one. Absence of an oil burner will make it dead on arrival. When the production model is out, I definitely think that there will be a diesel version on offer. Ford can look at the past and diesel definitely was their money maker (Petrol for the enthusiasts among us).
Old 5th January 2012, 09:11   #58
BHPian

1 Liter with Turbo Charged engine should give very good fuel economy. Petrol is surly more fun to ride compare to diesel and turbo charged engine will add more fun. Price is definitely crucial factor, if Ford priced it well, it will be success for sure. If the body is light weight, definitely no need of diesel.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 5th January 2012 at 09:12.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:16   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I don't think Ford would do another Fusion with this one. Absence of an oil burner will make it dead on arrival.
May not be so, on both counts. Ford may still price it above optimal - attempting to maintain an exclusivity /premium image. That's what they did with the pricing of the Fusion. And the Fusion bombed.

About the oil burner part - if that Petrol engine gives the kind of FE that has been mentioned, while still churning out power/torque numbers like it were a NA 1.6, then one would not need a diesel. Throw in the higher price of a diesel, and the higher maintenance costs - then the Eco 1.0 may make a lot of sense.

But I also expect that the technologies used will give Ford reason enough to price it higher than a petrol, but a little below the diesel.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:34   #60
BHPian

Quote:
An indian buyer is going to see only two specs for a car.
I thought only three things mattered to Indian customers-
1. Price
2. Fuel economy
3. Road presence

Youngsters who prefer powerful cars look for BHP and not for capacity of engines (at least that's what my friends discuss while comparing cars). A figure of 120BHP figure should be good for them.

Btw, I can't stop feeling that only EcoSport or Fiesta can survive but not both. If EcoSport is priced high (>10 lac) then it will flop. If it is priced correctly (8 lac), Fiesta is doomed.
Closed Thread