Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd April 2012, 09:03   #601
BHPian

This package looks nice overall. Is there even a remote hope for a awd or a opt 4wd ? I guess the pricing is also crucial.

Who is the ecosports competitor? Or in other words who suffers if ecosport is a succrss? Seems to be in a seperate niche like the ertiga. Is it the C sedans, the to be launched duster or the scorpio/safaris...or the yeti?
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:06   #602
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

isn't the dash design overdone with sharp cuts? More smooth curves would have been soothing to the eyes.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:28   #603
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Not sure if somebody already mentioned it. The Ford India site is updated with more information about the features of the cars and more pics.
But one strange pic is they have posted the interiors with the steering like the left hand side.
Ford India Private Limited - EcoSport | Review the new urban SUV from Ford
I went to check the above site, but it is not available as of now. Hope they have realized their mistake & are correcting it.

Meanwhile the Ecosport has already debued at the Beijing Auto show couple of hours ago. Below is the clipping from NDTV's SVP reporting about the Ecosport from Beijing. His comments "Rear seat is quite roomy", probable launch in India in Jan 2013.

Ford EcoSport makes global debut at Beijing Motor Show

Don't know how authentic this website is, but it lists the dimensions of the new Ecosport as mentioned below:

The dimensions of the EcoSport are
Length………… 4,241 mm
Width…………. 2,057 mm
Height………… 1,696 mm
Wheelbase……… 2,521 mm

Source:

http://www.riotengine.in/2012/04/23/...-from-beijing/

The wheelbase of the new Fiesta (as per our official TBHP review) is 2489mm, so the Ecosport rear seat must be definitely roomier than the Fiesta.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 23rd April 2012 at 09:50.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:15   #604
Senior - BHPian

Ford India website is up now. Additions to the Ecosport section (very good info available now):
1. 360 deg view
2. Features --> Ford India Private Limited - EcoSport | SUV capabilities
3. 346 litre trunk capacity & 560 litre rear seating space --> Ford India Private Limited - EcoSport | Smart space & technology

Mods: Please merge this with my earlier post, I tried to edit it but it was out of the 30 mins window
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:48   #605
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Since i own the new Fiesta, the interiors look very similar except for

a. The instrument lighting is blue (Red in the Fiesta)
b. The side A/C vents are similar to the centre ones (Round side vents in the Fiesta)

Name:  Ford Ecosport  Interior.jpg
Views: 21825
Size:  87.1 KB

c. Dual coloured interiors (All - Black in Fiesta)
d. The OK button in the centre is flat (Fiesta is elevated)
e. Seats are leather now with side Air bags
f. Start/Stop button

Name:  StartStop Button.jpg
Views: 8002
Size:  14.4 KB

g. Steering Wheel controls - Push to Talk, Bluetooth and audio controls integrated into one (Smart move).

Name:  Steering Wheel Control.jpg
Views: 9824
Size:  102.0 KB

h. No Cruise Control
i. The surface above the small screen is grained (Fiesta - Plain)
j. The Multimedia software has a "Sync" function with the phone and other Music devices. I could call it an advanced "Blue & Me" type from Fiat
k. A removable Ash tray in the space between the two seats
l. Arm rest for the driver

Name:  Ford Ecosport  Interior 1.jpg
Views: 16625
Size:  71.0 KB

I like the interiors of the Ecosport. I hope these interiors will feature in the Indian version too. With the expected launch of the Mini Xylo and the Duster, Ford has got the interiors right. I just hope they have the improved interior quality.

As i am looking out for a replacement for my 11 year old Santro, this could be a great buy. Is it okay to own two Fords?
MAS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:17   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
c. Dual coloured interiors (All - Black in Fiesta)
d. The OK button in the centre is flat (Fiesta is elevated)
e. Seats are leather now with side Air bags
f. Start/Stop button
g. Steering Wheel controls - Push to Talk, Bluetooth and audio controls
Thanks for the comparo MAS

Quote:
As i am looking out for a replacement for my 11 year old Santro, this could be a great buy. Is it okay to own two Fords?
Who is stopping you? If you are satisfied with your current Ford you can very well take the jump for the second one. However there is quite some time for the launch in India. Meanwhile we can get good feedback from China & Brazil where it is expected to be launched earlier

The interior pics are now available on Ford India website --> Ford India Private Limited - EcoSport | Photo & video gallery
Note: The rear seats are 60:40 split type, giving ample flexibility

Name:  Ecosport Interior.jpg
Views: 51524
Size:  38.5 KB

Last edited by AutoIndian : 23rd April 2012 at 11:36.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:49   #607
BHPian

the ford web site is updated with additional details. The teasers are building up, so is the image. For instance convincing buyers not to use engine size but power aspects is a new method to change age old perception. I like the way the curtains are being pulled down slowly, the car grows in your mind!
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:50   #608
BHPian

While the recently-updated information at the Ford India website is all exciting and interesting, I so feel the car's looks has so been spoiled by the spare wheel cover which is painted the same color . I don't understand, Ford thinks in every sense to cut down on Ecosport from carryover parts and spends on painting the spare wheel cover which only brings down its looks! Why not provide a common metallic/silver cover that reduces the money spent on painting job and might as well retain the commanding looks of an SUV?!
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:52   #609
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I went to check the above site, but it is not available as of now. Hope they have realized their mistake & are correcting it.

Meanwhile the Ecosport has already debued at the Beijing Auto show couple of hours ago. Below is the clipping from NDTV's SVP reporting about the Ecosport from Beijing. His comments "Rear seat is quite roomy", probable launch in India in Jan 2013.

Ford EcoSport makes global debut at Beijing Motor Show

Don't know how authentic this website is, but it lists the dimensions of the new Ecosport as mentioned below:

Length………… 4,241 mm
Width…………. 2,057 mm
Height………… 1,696 mm
Wheelbase……… 2,521 mm

Source:

Features > 2012 Production Ford EcoSport for India : Images, Specs, Features from Beijing | Riot Engine

The wheelbase of the new Fiesta (as per our official TBHP review) is 2489mm, so the Ecosport rear seat must be definitely roomier than the Fiesta.
The width can't be 2057.. it may be closer to 1800.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:00   #610
BHPian

Quote:
I like the interiors of the Ecosport. I hope these interiors will feature in the Indian version too. With the expected launch of the Mini Xylo and the Duster, Ford has got the interiors right. I just hope they have the improved interior quality.

I am tempted too with the Ecoboost Engine. My husband is keen on the XUV500. However, if priced competitively, this may well be a firm contender too.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:11   #611
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
I so feel the car's looks has so been spoiled by the spare wheel cover which is painted the same color . I don't understand, Ford thinks in every sense to cut down on Ecosport from carryover parts and spends on painting the spare wheel cover which only brings down its looks! Why not provide a common metallic/silver cover that reduces the money spent on painting job and might as well retain the commanding looks of an SUV?!
Exactly my thoughts. It looks so much better without the shabby spare wheel cover or Ford could can give the Endeavour type of spare wheel cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
I am tempted too with the Ecoboost Engine. My husband is keen on the XUV500. However, if priced competitively, this may well be a firm contender too.
After driving the Fiesta, no other car seems to be exciting to drive.
But, i did drive the XUV yesterday and was not impressed at all. It looks very sturdy and has space, but at the same time, it is very crude. I will not go for it.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:23   #612
BHPian

new detail uploaded on ford india website.
link Ford India Private Limited - EcoSport | Review the new urban SUV from Ford
some interesting facts like
Ground clearance-200 mm
Approach angle- 25'
Ramp breakover angle-25'
Departure Angle-35'
Water Wadability- 550mm
Trunk Volume-365 ltrs
Interesting Features- 6 speed DCT, 5 speed manual, 1 ltr Ecoboost Petrol claiming 20KMPL efficiency, Cooled glove box, Driver arm rest, Boot door is side hinged.
visit website and know more.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:25   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Not sure if somebody already mentioned it. The Ford India site is updated with more information about the features of the cars and more pics.
But one strange pic is they have posted the interiors with the steering like the left hand side.
Ford India Private Limited - EcoSport | Review the new urban SUV from Ford
The features section on the website gives a clue to the transmissions that will be available - just like the petrol Fiesta we can expect a five-speed manual (listed under green features) and the six-speed powershift auto, ABS, ESP, traction control (under smart features).

I think this car is a lot closer to launch than we expect. I also think pricing will be a little more than the Fiesta. Ford will seek a premium for the SUV body shape and the frugality and technology of the Ecoboost engine.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:47   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
Yes,in many cars the airbag will break dashboard while triggering, probably the material at that point is made to break. But it adds cost as whole dashboard has to be replaced
i am certain that airbag deployment would not result in the dashboard replacement. there are specific parts which would have to be replaced however the cost runs into lacs.
i have seen at least three such cases (in US) where the airbags were deployed and then subsequent repair was done, and in none of those cases the entire dashboard had to be replaced.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:49   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Length………… 4,241 mm
Width…………. 2,057 mm
Height………… 1,696 mm
Wheelbase……… 2,521 mm

Auto Indian, thanks for the link back. Uh, I posted the article on Riot Engine and the best I can do is assure you that I've made efforts to ensure that all the facts are accurate. The dimensions especially, are straight off a Brochure from Ford's media website.

The EcoSport rear seat should be roomier, considering the wheelbase as well as the fact that it is built for the 'growth markets' where space is a priority for the customer, but I'd rather wait until we verify it ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
The width can't be 2057.. it may be closer to 1800.
The width is 2057 mm, and that probably includes the ORVM edge to edge. Again, the information is from Ford.

Name:  fordecosportproductionversioncomingtoindia11640x403.jpg
Views: 7518
Size:  35.8 KB

Oh, have you guys seen how the tail gate handle is integrated in the rear tail lamp Me likey!
theslayer is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread