Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th July 2012, 20:35   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Unfortunately VB, people who think like you and some of us do are in a miniscule, negligible, voice-less minority here as of this moment. Having said that, it is only a matter of time before the market upgrades itself.
The flip side is that by the time the market moves up, we also may have evolved further and our needs may have become different. Maybe by then I will be ripe for a Hybrid or Electric vehicle, purely from the point of view of reducing my negative environmental impact and carbon footprint etc.
True that! The collective ability of the masses to force manufacturers to bring about a change evolves far too slowly.

But i see things changing with the number of cars flying off the shelves with people owning multiple cars of multiple brands and replacing a car maybe in 10yrs. Each substandard product out there is adding to cost of ownership beyond the one time savings made on the day of purchase.
Some day people will be willing to pay for quality and shun gimmicks. Hope that day is in our lifetime.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 20:38   #1052
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Sbala, not sure which YouTube video you are referring here. But the one which I saw (refer below) sounds sweet. Mind you the engine sound is with an open bonnet & the camera is very near to the engine, hence it is likely to get amplified. The engine here, I believe, is being revved till the redline or just below it, yet it sounds very smooth, nothing like that of a typical 3 potter. The exhaust note also sounds very sporty.
Yeah, i was referring to same video from YouTube. Did you notice the initial clatter sound ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Comparing it with a Nano engine sound is a bit too much. Nano is a 2 cylinder engine & sounds very coarse. You can make out the engine sound even from a distance.
i know its very very coarse to compare with Nano.
Old 6th July 2012, 21:19   #1053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
One more thing about the Ecoboost engine sound.. I saw a video in YouTube capturing the sound of the engine. Its not the same as the current Fiesta engine. Sounded little odd.. More like a mini nano engine ..
I do understand where this is coming from, but perhaps it isn't the right thing to compare the noise/sound of a car you hear in a video.

It's always better to have the car in front of you and listen to it in person. Videos and audio clips do not generally communicate the exact sound of the car. It's hard to measure loudness and smoothness through a video. The 'real' sound may not be evident as there are several constraints like the quality of the video, the camera, the ambiance, etc.

The EcoSport's 3-cylinder engine should be a good one. Generally 3 cylinders would mean noise and vibrations, but this is countered to an extent, I believe, by the use of cast-iron components that make it heavier. Lighter 3-cylinder aluminum engines tend to sound trashy at higher revs but even these (K10) sound alright at idle. The only real 'clatter' I've heard from a three-potter is from the old 800. Even the 1.2 3-pot lumps in VWs and Skodas have this characteristic thrum at idle and sound less-refined as the revs are built up.

But newer 3-pot engines should be reasonably refined. Like the one in the EcoSport. I'm not sure, but it could be attributed to the heavier cast-iron block and components?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 21:24   #1054
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
MAS,

Even I was ready to pay for the Diesel Titanium+ for the Fiesta, for the way it drives.
(I had almost started my paperwork)

What put me off was the back seat. We as the drivers, would really enjoy the drive, but other travellers really suffer.
That's what I always wanted to check with if most of your highway drives are solo?
(I remember you mentioned that you were out on the highways for official work).
If that is the case, Fiesta is the car for you. But if family has to come along for long distances, it just does not work out.

The reason I say this is because, Ecosport would have exactly the same problem, As I mentioned earlier, I dont know if it would have
the space even as much as Fusion. From that point of view I gave up chasing the Ecosport dream,
The Fiesta has lower back seat comfort when compared to the Fusion. Both in terms of space, ergonomics and back head rests.

But I feel Eco Sport will have a better back seat as the seat can be pushed a few inches back. The space should be atleast equal to the Fusion.

I bought the new Fiesta as I was sold to it the moment I drove it. As most of my travel upto 60%) involves highway driving and with a maximum of 3 people, I bought the New Fiesta.
Old 6th July 2012, 21:49   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The Fiesta has lower back seat comfort when compared to the Fusion. Both in terms of space, ergonomics and back head rests.

But I feel Eco Sport will have a better back seat as the seat can be pushed a few inches back. The space should be atleast equal to the Fusion.

I bought the new Fiesta as I was sold to it the moment I drove it. As most of my travel upto 60%) involves highway driving and with a maximum of 3 people, I bought the New Fiesta.
Actually the rear seat of the Fiesta is not as bad as it is thought to be. I travelled with family to Ooty last month via Bangalore. My wife and daughter (5'8" tall) were comfortable all the way.

I was surprised to hear my son (5'11") that he found the rear seat more comfortable than the front passenger seat. I guess the armrest does help.

But I've never sat on my car's rear so far, and hence I cannot offer first hand comments.

But I guess the rear seat of the EcoSport will be more spacious, at least to the extent of the Fusion. If not, I'd prefer the new Fiesta Titanium if that were priced on the same range.
Old 6th July 2012, 22:35   #1056
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Actually the rear seat of the Fiesta is not as bad as it is thought to be. I travelled with family to Ooty last month via Bangalore. My wife and daughter (5'8" tall) were comfortable all the way.

Thats the old Fiesta or the new one? I tried the new Fiesta, but just could find it comfortable in back seat.
May be thats because I got used to a bit more space in Fusion.
Old 6th July 2012, 22:37   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Welcome to the forum Sidharth! And what news have you brought for us here! Any idea if your firm is the only source of steel for them? Or what if they had planned for a ramp up in June with steel sourced from your firm as an additional source?
we had a client steel meet today, ford guy signed a contract with us for ford b515 a.k.a ecosport for june 2013 launch. there ecoboost engine is still not ready yet for production..

also hyundai guyz working on hyundai i10 replacement code named hyundai B.A( name kept secret).

also nissan working on small car even smaller than micra. ..code named Nissan k2. nissan want to bump up there production by 900,000 by 13-14.
Old 6th July 2012, 23:14   #1058
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats the old Fiesta or the new one? I tried the new Fiesta, but just could find it comfortable in back seat.
May be thats because I got used to a bit more space in Fusion.
+1

I think it is the older Fiesta he is talking about. His Avatar also shows the old Fiesta. The new Fiesta has amazing front seat comfort, especially the Titanium +. The seats just hug you well and makes us a part of the car.

The leather seats showed in the Brazilian version looks yummy. Wish Ford brings the same features to Indian shores. Once again, lucky Brazilians.
Old 7th July 2012, 00:10   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I do understand where this is coming from, but perhaps it isn't the right thing to compare the noise/sound of a car you hear in a video.

It's always better to have the car in front of you and listen to it in person. Videos and audio clips do not generally communicate the exact sound of the car. It's hard to measure loudness and smoothness through a video. The 'real' sound may not be evident as there are several constraints like the quality of the video, the camera, the ambiance, etc.
Lets wait to hear it live. But at the same time, i am amazed at number of videos in YouTube capturing the EcoBoost engine sound. Its something different (may be in good ways or bad ways). For me, initial rev indeed has some clatter noise. Nevertheless, Lets wait to hear it live.

sbala is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 07:13   #1060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The new Fiesta has amazing front seat comfort, especially the Titanium +. The seats just hug you well and makes us a part of the car.
That is very true! But the car vetoed out thanks to the back seat !
The boot is so deep, I was wondering if Ford could have given some more back seat space at its cost. Without digressing from the Ecosport discussion,
I hope Ford at least that aspect in mind. I would be OK if they give preference to the legroom compared to the boot.

But as of today, I would be looking at the Duster to upgrade my Fusion rather than the Ecosport. Becase under 4m, I just cant think how can Ford bring
the space out of thin air in so compact a X-over.
Old 7th July 2012, 07:18   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

That is very true! But the car vetoed out thanks to the back seat !
The boot is so deep, I was wondering if Ford could have given some more back seat space at its cost. Without digressing from the Ecosport discussion,
I hope Ford at least that aspect in mind. I would be OK if they give preference to the legroom compared to the boot.

But as of today, I would be looking at the Duster to upgrade my Fusion rather than the Ecosport. Becase under 4m, I just cant think how can Ford bring
the space out of thin air in so compact a X-over.
Amp old chap.

These crossovers are great for a small family of two with two young 'uns. They cannot be considered as comfortable 5 seaters.

Even in the Yeti I will not take more than 3 passengers with me driving. Plus a bit of luggage. This ensures an even weight distribution and a more comfortable ride for all. It also ensures that the car has plenty of juice in reserve. Else the vehicle is just for the two of us with scads of luggage, golf bag et al.

Anyone who wants a real 5 or 6 or 7 seater mass mover people carrier type thing, should not even bother looking at vehicles like the Duster or Fusion or Yeti or other such. They should seriously consider things like the Ertiga, Innova, Xylo from the present crop or Nissan Evalia, Renault Espace and such, when they come.
Old 7th July 2012, 07:59   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_supra View Post
we had a client steel meet today, ford guy signed a contract with us for ford b515 a.k.a ecosport for june 2013 launch. there ecoboost engine is still not ready yet for production..

also hyundai guyz working on hyundai i10 replacement code named hyundai B.A( name kept secret).

also nissan working on small car even smaller than micra. ..code named Nissan k2. nissan want to bump up there production by 900,000 by 13-14.
All these codes are available all over the internet, just in case if you are not aware!
Old 7th July 2012, 08:24   #1063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Anyone who wants a real 5 or 6 or 7 seater mass mover people carrier type thing, should not even bother looking at vehicles like the Duster or Fusion or Yeti or other such.
They should seriously consider things like the Ertiga, Innova, Xylo from the present crop or Nissan Evalia, Renault Espace and such, when they come.

Thats true Shankar. All I am saying is X-overs may not populate 5 people all the time.
But at least even for 4 they should have good leg room for folks seated in back.

I am doubting if we would have that space in Eco-sport. That is the only concern (unlike the Yeti). On a long distance road trip even if the 4 guys feel comfortable, I am fine.
But this is something I cannot visualize on a sub 4m product. I think that is why I found Duster bit more comfortable.

Last edited by ampere : 7th July 2012 at 08:34.
Old 7th July 2012, 08:39   #1064

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by bblost : 9th July 2012 at 15:39.
sidharth_supra is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th July 2012, 08:47   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Thats true Shankar. All I am saying is X-overs may not populate 5 people all the time.
But at least even for 4 they should have good leg room for folks seated in back.

I am doubting if we would have that space in Eco-sport. That is the only concern (unlike the Yeti). On a long distance road trip even if the 4 guys feel comfortable, I am fine.
But this is something I cannot visualize on a sub 4m product. I think that is why I found Duster bit more comfortable.
Yes boss.
Even in the Yeti or Duster a tall person sitting in the rear will suffer over longer distances. Especially with other tall persons occupying the front seats and with these seats pushed back.
If you really want lots of rear seat comfort consider a nice exec size sedan like a Laura etc, which incidentally does have very decent GC too. A child can quite literally sleep in the back with his or her legs stretched out inside the dicky.
Ask Devdath - he and I both were amazed with this!
Closed Thread