Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th July 2012, 16:14   #1096
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

I think there is a slight possiblity of putting same 1.4 Diesel engine that does duty on Figo & Classic. The reason behind this thought is qualifying for small car duties.
Old 18th July 2012, 16:31   #1097
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
I think there is a slight possiblity of putting same 1.4 Diesel engine that does duty on Figo & Classic. The reason behind this thought is qualifying for small car duties.
The new fiesta's 1.5 also qualifies for small car duty. As long as the engine is under 1500cc it qualifies for the lesser duty. I dont see why they would want to put in the older engine. I am more interested in the ecoboost engine. Anyways lets wait and see what engine options Ford gives us with the Ecosport.
Old 18th July 2012, 16:52   #1098
BHPian

US automobile giant Ford is expected to launch EcoSport in both diesel and petrol variants in India.

Source: Ford to launch EcoSport in diesel/petrol variants
Old 18th July 2012, 16:52   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The new fiesta's 1.5 also qualifies for small car duty. As long as the engine is under 1500cc it qualifies for the lesser duty. I dont see why they would want to put in the older engine. I am more interested in the ecoboost engine. Anyways lets wait and see what engine options Ford gives us with the Ecosport.
Thanks Shivasuma, for clarifying. If this is the case then I dont see any reason why Ford will not put New Fiesta's 1.5 Diesel engine in EcoSport.

In fact I doubt if they have any other new Diesel engine.

BTW, last week I was sipping Chai roadside on Karve Road & to my surprise 2 White coloured EcoSport without any camouflage passed in front of me in bumper to bumper traffic. All I have to say is EcoSport is a very beautiful looking vehicle. It a bit bigger than my Figo with tall GC & looks like a cute little baby monster. I am sure booking it when launched!

Last edited by ajnagpur : 18th July 2012 at 16:58. Reason: want to add some more information
Old 18th July 2012, 17:57   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I am more interested in the ecoboost engine. Anyways lets wait and see what engine options Ford gives us with the Ecosport.
Does the ecoboost engine refer only to the 1.0 ltr petrol one or am I missing something?

Quote:
BTW, last week I was sipping Chai roadside on Karve Road & to my surprise 2 White coloured EcoSport without any camouflage passed in front of me in bumper to bumper traffic.
Any pics to share?
Old 18th July 2012, 18:16   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Does the ecoboost engine refer only to the 1.0 ltr petrol one or am I missing something?

Any pics to share?
Yes Selfdrive, The Ecoboost tech is only petrol & I am also excited for the same thing. Imagine 1L Engine with fuel efficiency of 16 KMPL & power competing to 1.6L engine.

Turbo charged 1 Litre 3 pot engine, 120PS, 170NM of Torque. Best thing is it delivers full torque at just 1500 RPM . I am ready to shift from Diesel to Pertol.

Sorry couldnt take any pics that day cause as soon as I saw the car I was drooling till it went out of the sight.
ajnagpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 19:56   #1102
BHPian

is there any chance of getting a 4x4 option EcoSport ?
Old 18th July 2012, 20:55   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Yes, ecoboost is a range of turbo-charged petrol engines developed by Ford. Ford has 4 displacement ecoboost engines (1L, 1.6L, 2L and 3.5L). The 1L will be the one available with the ecosport.
Old 18th July 2012, 20:55   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shivasuma, for clarifying. If this is the case then I dont see any reason why Ford will not put New Fiesta's 1.5 Diesel engine in EcoSport.

In fact I doubt if they have any other new Diesel engine.
The only reason I can think of is that, when Ford cut short the size of the current Fiesta 1.5 engine, it lost the initial pick-up (read it as absence of turbo lag in 1.4 engine). May be they have developed some new engine with no turbo lag.

I read in some UK magazines that 1.6 diesel engine that is available in UK are also with no turbolag
Old 18th July 2012, 21:16   #1105
Team-BHP Support

If they plonk in the 1.4D, then I guess that sets them back one step.
Especially because they have a new engine available. If only for cost concerns, they reduce the capacity,
they are already bringing down the premium factor.

But surely it would help sell much more. And that would also help price it below the current Fiesta, if they want to.
But won't they would need more power from that engine that current services the Fiesta Classic/Figo? At least they
need to match the specs of the current Fiesta.
Old 19th July 2012, 02:04   #1106
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think Ford will plonk the 1.4L Duratorq. Think of it, we feel 90 bhp [1.5L Diesel mill] is less for the driving dynamics of the Fiesta, how will a 68 bhp feel on a bigger Ecosport? Add to it, what the competition offers & what customers want from the segment!

To me, they will either get the same 1.5L 90 bhp engine or they might get a higher output 1.5L VGT [110 bhp?] version. I believe 90 bhp version comes with a FGT, so a VGT may not be impossible! And probably they could bring both the state of tunes like the Duster, for better pricing of the lower variants!

From the interview of Michael Boneham, he clearly states that Indian market looks for VFM products and he hints at a very aggressive pricing when launched! Duster pricing should be a good case study for them to learn the segment trend! They should have learnt a good lesson from the Fiesta launch too.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th July 2012 at 02:06.
Old 19th July 2012, 10:47   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
....BTW, last week I was sipping Chai roadside on Karve Road & to my surprise 2 White coloured EcoSport without any camouflage passed in front of me in bumper to bumper traffic. All I have to say is EcoSport is a very beautiful looking vehicle. It a bit bigger than my Figo with tall GC & looks like a cute little baby monster. I am sure booking it when launched!
Even I saw 2 white colored EcoSport without camouflage in Viman Nagar (maybe the same vehicles) last week. And I fully agree with you that its a very beautiful looking vehicle. On road it does not look like a hatch on steroids (Yeti) but more like mini-SUV. Just before the EcoSport went past us, the Renault Koleos had gone by. And to the naked eye, EcoSport did have a good road presence as compared to Koleos. So optimistically the EcoSport would have much much better road presence than Duster for sure!
Old 19th July 2012, 13:56   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Ford's 1.5 mill that's used currently on Fiesta is actually derived from the same old 1.4l mill used in Fiesta Classic. It also does not have turbo lag (well there is some, but, novices won't feel it to a great extent).

Ford are yet to take the step ahead (1.6l diesel mill) in India, & Ecosport could be the easiest & earliest they could do it, after they missed the bus with Fiesta.

... & there could be few interesting Fords for launch in India - Focus Sedan, Mondeo, refreshed Endeavour & Fiesta Hatch.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:33   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Ford's 1.5 mill that's used currently on Fiesta is actually derived from the same old 1.4l mill used in Fiesta Classic. It also does not have turbo lag (well there is some, but, novices won't feel it to a great extent).

Ford are yet to take the step ahead (1.6l diesel mill) in India, & Ecosport could be the easiest & earliest they could do it, after they missed the bus with Fiesta.

... & there could be few interesting Fords for launch in India - Focus Sedan, Mondeo, refreshed Endeavour & Fiesta Hatch.
The current 1.5 L is not derived from 1.4l in classic fiesta where as it is downsized from the 1.6L available in UK
Old 19th July 2012, 16:46   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
The current 1.5 L is not derived from 1.4l in classic fiesta where as it is downsized from the 1.6L available in UK
If Ford plonks the 1.6L mill under the hood of the Ecosport, then they cannot avail the excise duty benefits (as it will fall under the higher excise duty slab, though being under 4m, but engine size above 1.5L) & this could jeopardize Ford's strategy to price it competitively. Anyways enough of speculations. As the car unfolds in Brazil & China, it would be interesting to know the first hand feedback from the owners over there.
Closed Thread