Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 1st August 2012, 08:55   #1126
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
OT for sure, but out of curiosity - why would they incorporate such a feature on a Polo? My only guess is that VW is planning an affordable competitor for the EcoSport the same platform?

I've heard about the platform difference while comparing the Fabia and the Polo during my buying/deciding process. But, never got a definite answer. Maybe it's time.
There are talks of Skoda and VW developing SUVs cheaper than Yeti. It may be based on the Polo platform.

I wish Ford launches the 4 wheel drive version too.
Old 1st August 2012, 22:31   #1127
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Looks like Ford Brazil has sold all its 2600 pre-launch units through on-line booking. Brazil is getting ready for Ecosport. Would Luv to hear the feedback from them
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:15   #1128
BHPian

With all these features, especially AT etc, I expect the price to be at par with the Fiesta's AT top end variant, or close to 13L. Price would still be the factor to sell in numbers.

I look forward to see some vague guesses on prices from team-bhpians. If possible with some sort of estimations based on parts, sourcing strategy, past pricing history etc.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:30   #1129
BHPian

Any idea on the Ethanol % specification for the EcoSport. I know in Brazil that cars are capable of running on mixed (read non standard) E% content. Would be interesting to know if the EcoSport can run on mixed fuel composition.
Old 4th August 2012, 15:00   #1130
Senior - BHPian

The review of the Ecosport has been published by the Brazilian Magazine "Noticas Automotivas". Below is the link:

Novo EcoSport: avaliação completa | Notícias Automotivas - Carros

Some highlights:

Engine 1.6: The gasoline and ethanol, front, transverse, 1596 cc, four-cylinder, four valves per cylinder and simple command in the head. Electronic throttle and sequential multipoint fuel injection.

2.0 Engine: Gasoline and ethanol, front, transverse, 1,999 cc, inline four-cylinder, dual overhead cams, four valves per cylinder and variable valve control at admission. Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection and electronic throttle.

Transmission - Exchange manual five speeds forward and one aft. Front wheel drive, electronically controlled from the Freestyle version.

Maximum power - Motor1.6: 110 hp at 6500 rpm with petrol and 115 hp at 5,500 rpm with ethanol. 2.0 Engine: 141 hp and 147 hp on gasoline and ethanol at 6,250 rpm.

Maximum torque - Engine 1.6: 15.6 Nm at 4,250 rpm with petrol and 15.9 lb.-ft. at 4750 rpm with ethanol. 2.0 Engine: 18.9 Nm and 19.7 Nm and ethanol with gasoline at 4,250 rpm.

Bore and Stroke-Engine 1.6: 79.0 mm x 81.4 mm compression ratio of 11,0:1. 2.0 Engine: 87.5 mm x 83.1 mm compression ratio of 10,8:1.

Acceleration 0-100 km / h - Engine 1.6: 12.4 and 12.5 seconds with gasoline and ethanol. Engine 2.0, 10.8 and 10.5 seconds with gasoline and ethanol.

Maximum speed - 180 km / h electronically limited.

Suspension - Front independent McPherson type with lower arms, stabilizer bar, pressurized hydraulic dampers and springs to compensate for lateral load. Rear semi-independent torsion beam, pressurized hydraulic dampers with coil springs. Electronic stability control from version Freestyle.

Tyres - S and SE: 205/65 R15. FreeStyle and Titanium: 205/60 R16.

Brakes: Ventilated discs front, drums back and ABS as standard.

body: monoblock SUV with four doors and five seats. With 4.23 meters long, 1,76 m in width, 1.67 m in height and 2.52 m wheelbase. Front airbags as standard. Side airbags and curtain in the Titanium version.

Weight: 1243 kg.

Trunk capacity: 362 liters.

Fuel tank: 52 liters.

Some pictures courtesy "Noticas Automotivas"

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-novoecosportfotos1.jpg

Name:  novoecosportfotos2.jpg
Views: 4036
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  novoecosportfotos3.jpg
Views: 3946
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  novoecosportfotos4.jpg
Views: 4040
Size:  74.1 KB

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-novoecosportfotos5.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-novoecosportfotos6.jpg

Name:  novoecosportfotos7.jpg
Views: 3801
Size:  57.4 KB
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 16:12   #1131
BHPian

Look at this .. In Pics - Ecosport & Duster
Attached Images

sbala is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 16:35   #1132
BHPian

Thanks to my Portuguese learning, I can inform you the Brazilian base version, with two airbags and ABS, a/c and voice-controlled entertainement system comes to around Rs 14.5 lakhs (in conversion). It has a fuel average of 10.5 km/litre of petrol.
filcord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 17:11   #1133
BHPian

Autoindian post states Length as 4.23 Mtrs. Does that mean Indian version will also be longer than 4 Mtrs?

Last edited by h.s.r : 4th August 2012 at 17:13.
Old 4th August 2012, 17:44   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Thanks to my Portuguese learning, I can inform you the Brazilian base version, with two airbags and ABS, a/c and voice-controlled entertainement system comes to around Rs 14.5 lakhs (in conversion). It has a fuel average of 10.5 km/litre of petrol.
Though it may seem very costly at 14.5 lakhs (on a direct conversion), the Fiesta is similarly priced in Brazil, however as we know it starts in the 8 lakh range in India. Now add to it the excise duty benefits for under 4 m length car & it could well fall in the 7 lakh bracket. We can only speculate, actual prices will be know only when it gets launched here in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Autoindian post states Length as 4.23 Mtrs. Does that mean Indian version will also be longer than 4 Mtrs?
Indian version is definitely going to be under 4m.

Refer the article below, which was published in Autocar India & is also available in the Buzz section of Ford India website (for Ecosport).

http://myimpact.impactmeasurement.co...ee0be9a4c71b72

"We were very conscious of the 4m length regulation & worked hard to benefit from it" said Kumar Galhotra, Ford's vice -president product development for Asia Pacific. The excise falls from 24 to 12 percent, and this will allow Ford to price its baby SUV more aggressively when it finally goes on sale in India in the early part of 2013
Old 4th August 2012, 17:53   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
I don't think so. If more than 4m, it will not qualify for the excise duty benefits. Also I remember reading about it indiansautoblog. Also 4.23m is including the rear wheel?
quote from indianautosblog " Boneham told Indian Autos Blog that Ford will “price the EcoSport competitively,” but we got a sense while touring the engine plant that the 1L Ecoboost petrol engine will not be locally manufactured, at least in the initial stages, which signifies that localization will be scaled up over time. He’s aware of the the Brazilian model’s prices (revealed last week), stressing that it has no bearing on the Indian prices due to the varying tax structures. The EcoSport is a sub-4 meter SUV that will qualify as a small car in India. Boneham refused to divulge any information on the type of diesel engine under the EcoSport’s bonnet. If it was the same 1.5-liter diesel (running a different calibration) used on the Fiesta, common sense screams out that he would have not have held that information back. Globally there are no new diesel engines to talk about for this product class or segment. Boneham said he would speak about the diesel engine during the product launch.
Ford India are not in segments that are growing and the EcoSport will give a launch pad to fix that. The excitement is obvious in the management’s interactions."

Regards

Last edited by 999 : 4th August 2012 at 17:55. Reason: Formatting
Old 5th August 2012, 15:14   #1136
BHPian

I have tried to summarize the review from the Brazilian site “Noticias Automotivas” with the help of Google translate, and where Google translate failed, I have used common sense. Having said that I don’t claim that this translation is 100% accurate, there is good chance of having some mistakes in the summary below. I have tried to organize the information in various sections that don’t exist in the original article.

I think some of us who were expecting the Ecosport to be quite cheap are in for bit of a shock considering the Brazilian pricing. Now, Brazil isn’t exactly known as a place for cheaper manufacturing or cheaper cars or lower taxes (based on my very basic level of understanding), so hope that the prices in India will be more reasonable. We also need to keep in mind that most likely we’ll not get the same engines. We also need to factor the excise benefits in India due to the smaller length. Hope that the prices are at least 25-30% lower, which still translates to around 10 to 14 lacs across variants. I have a strong feeling that those expecting the Ecosport to start at 7-7.5 lacs will be highly disappointed when it launches in India next year.

Design

Ford has used steel-reinforced lightweight materials in various parts of the body to reduce the total weight of the car, which is still slightly high for a compact model.

The black plastic skirt around the New Ecosport makes the car look taller.

The suspension is new, similar to the New Fiesta, but maintains the same basic architecture: McPherson front and torsion beam at the rear.

Performance, ride and handling

The Sigma 1.6 engine feels powerful, but only above 3000 rpm. Below that, the weight of the car is felt, and the performance isn't great.

The car feels remarkably stable. The behavior on curves is very good and the car remains balanced. The body roll is almost imperceptible and the SUV always feels under control. On straight roads, the behavior is similar. On smooth surfaces, the performance is satisfactory, especially above 3500 rpm. On slopes, however, speed reductions are necessary because the second gear ratio is too long. The gear changes are smooth with precise and soft shifting.

The suspension is rigid, and this is reflected in the comfort when driving. Small imperfections and bumps on the road are felt in the cabin.

Interiors, comfort and space

The finish of the interior materials is disappointing. The design is similar to that of the New Fiesta, but without the refinement; the rubbery material on the panel, for example, is gone. There is some hard plastic visible and the finish does not inspire much confidence. The materials are not very good to touch and not very pleasing to the eye. (Note: The article mentions that the units tested were “pre-series” - I think that probably means pre-release versions. So hopefully the quality of plastics and fit and finish will be better for the final version.)

The commands on the centre console are similar to the New Fiesta. This means that there are plenty of buttons on the centre console. The driver's seat and steering wheel are adjustable for height and reach. The electric steering is light but at high speeds the system adds weight, which improves the accuracy and makes it easy to manoeuvre.

The forward visibility is impaired by thick columns. The rear visibility is also not great due to the small glass.

The internal space is good. The car is significantly roomy for a compact SUV, especially in the rear. Besides two adults at front, two adults and one child at middle can be accommodated in the back seat. Two adults and one child at the back should feel very comfortable. The rear seats can recline. The insulation is just ok.

Versatility is one of the strengths of Ecosport. There is enough space between the seats to store items for quick use. In the front doors, 2-liter and 600 ml bottles easily fit side by side.

The trunk has good access, as the lid opens sideways, but it requires some effort due to the external spare tire, however there is a hydraulic arm to reduce the effort. The standard boot capacity is 362 litres, with a good floor area.

Safety

You get ventilated discs at front, drums at rear.

Front airbags, ABS is standard on all variants. The side and curtain airbags are only standard on the top end Titanium version.

Variants and pricing

There are 4 variants offered with prices ranging from base variant starting from BRL 53,490 to top end Titanium at BRL 70,190 (which translates to INR 14,70,902 - 19,30,129 for Titanium).

The base version S gets Air-conditioning, power steering, front windows, electric locks and mirrors, radio/CD/MP3/Aux system with SYNC and headlights with LED. Price: BRL 53,490 (INR 14,70,902)

The SE version adds electric rear windows, fog lamps and wheels with different style. Price: BRL 56,490 (INR 15,53,398)

Freestyle version adds alloy wheels of 16 inches, trip computer, rear parking sensors, stability control and traction and hill climb assistant. Price ranges from BRL 59,990 with the 1.6 and BRL 62,490 with 2.0 engine (INR 16,49,643 and 17,18,390 respectively)

Titanium version gets side and curtain airbags, leather seats, wheels S exclusive, digital air-conditioning (climate control?), keyless entry, light and rain sensors and electrochromic rear view mirror. Price: BRL 70,190 (INR 19,30,129)

Last edited by MandarMax : 5th August 2012 at 15:37.
MandarMax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 15:33   #1137
Senior - BHPian

The 60:40 split rear seat arrangement is going to make the Ecosport a very versatile baby SUV. (Courtesy pictures published by EcoSport Freestyle 1.6 2013)

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-20120805_152505.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-20120805_152528.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-20120805_152548.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-20120805_152559.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-20120805_152625.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-20120805_152640.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-20120805_152659.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 16:08   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Hope that the prices are at least 25-30% lower, which still translates to around 10 to 14 lacs across variants. I have a strong feeling that those expecting the Ecosport to start at 7-7.5 lacs will be highly disappointed when it launches in India next year.

The base version S gets Air-conditioning, power steering, front windows, electric locks and mirrors, radio/CD/MP3/Aux system with SYNC and headlights with LED. Price: BRL 53,490 (INR 14,70,902)
Agreed that prices are little skewed in Brazil. However I seriously doubt if Ford would be that ambitious to price the Ecosport around 10 to 14 lacs across variants. Just to give you an example of the pricing in Brazil, the Renault Duster version, Dynamique 1.6, which costs BRL. 54,030 & is comparable to the Ecosport 1.6 Freestyle being Priced: BRL 59,990, means a difference of BRL 5,960 between Duster & Ecosport (1 BRL = 27.4915 INR). So a difference of 1.63 lakhs. Now take into account the excise duty exemption for Ecosport (which should make it 70-80K cheaper). Also Ecosport is going to be launched with a 80% localization compared to the 60% of the Duster at launch, so expect some cost savings there as well, so we can reduce another 30-40K. In a nut shell Ecosport has the potential of matching the pricing of the Duster (if not bettering it). My gut feeling is that its price will hover in the range of 7 to 11 lakhs & not 10 to 14 lacs as one might have assumed seeing the Brazil prices.
Old 5th August 2012, 16:37   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Agreed that prices are little skewed in Brazil. However I seriously doubt if Ford would be that ambitious to price the Ecosport around 10 to 14 lacs across variants. Just to give you an example of the pricing in Brazil, the Renault Duster version, Dynamique 1.6, which costs BRL. 54,030 & is comparable to the Ecosport 1.6 Freestyle being Priced: BRL 59,990, means a difference of BRL 5,960 between Duster & Ecosport (1 BRL = 27.4915 INR). So a difference of 1.63 lakhs. Now take into account the excise duty exemption for Ecosport (which should make it 70-80K cheaper). Also Ecosport is going to be launched with a 80% localization compared to the 60% of the Duster at launch, so expect some cost savings there as well, so we can reduce another 30-40K. In a nut shell Ecosport has the potential of matching the pricing of the Duster (if not bettering it). My gut feeling is that its price will hover in the range of 7 to 11 lakhs & not 10 to 14 lacs as one might have assumed seeing the Brazil prices.
Exactly my thought. This should be priced around 7-11lakhs or max 12 lakhs for the top end. The brazilian version is quite different in terms of the engine also. I don't think we'll get a 1.6 or 2ltr engine. We'll most likely get the same engines doing duty on the New Fiesta. Also, the 4.23 mtr length is probably including the rear tyre which for indian regulations isn't included in the length.
Old 6th August 2012, 16:49   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The 60:40 split rear seat arrangement is going to make the Ecosport a very versatile baby SUV. (Courtesy pictures published by EcoSport Freestyle 1.6 2013)
Another evidence of the smart space management in the Ecosport (courtesy the below video shared by a member Raja16 on another forum).

AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread