Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th August 2012, 16:40   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

It looks like some fish with mouth wide open (cant recall what its called). I doubt if people find the looks comfortable.
The interiors of the new fiesta also looks very tacky. They are getting carried away with the Kinetic thing.
Old 7th August 2012, 16:45   #1157
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Also you shouldn't just plainly see it as Duster vs Ecosport fight, there are different variants of both cars that will compete against each other at various price points.
I too feel the competition is going to come down to the different variant levels. With the 1 L Ecoboost Petrol, the Ecosport will bring what would probably be the most advanced Petrol engine to be introduced in India (south of maybe the Rs.25 Lakh price bracket). The engine won the International Engine of the year award last month. I am pretty sure it will consume the lowest amount of fuel per bhp of power/per NM of torque among any petrol engines available. India is most likely the first market in the world where this technology becomes available (As I read from the previous posts, this engine has not been introduced in the Brazilian Ecosport Launch). No matter if the car is introduced at 7 Lakh or 9 Lakh, people who are enthusiastic about the latest global technology being introduced in India at a reasonable price will appreciate this move from Ford.

Also, Ecosport may have a very competitive value proposition versus Duster in the higher end Diesel variants. Renault is forcing people to go to the RxZ if they want ABS + Airbags. The RxZ variant is Rs12 Lakh+ ex-showroom in most cities. At this price point, the higher end Ecosport Diesel variants may be able to offer a competitive value proposition with the host of features available on the Brazilian high end version.
Old 7th August 2012, 16:54   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
India is most likely the first market in the world where this technology becomes available (As I read from the previous posts, this engine has not been introduced in the Brazilian Ecosport Launch).
Just a minor correction in the above statement, the 1.0L Ecoboost has already been launched under the hood of Ford Focus in UK & some other European countries. So this technology is already available now, though not in Ecosport but some other vehicle. In all probability the Ecosport with the 1.0L Ecoboost engine will be launched in China well before we get it here in India.
Old 7th August 2012, 17:21   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless Ford decides to sell the Ecosport at a loss, this will only remain a dream.
That's Ford's problem. I am just predicting it will be a FLOP of it prices it even equal to Duster. Its not my dream or wish or concern. Its just a simple statement.

Quote:
At the end of the day Duster and Ecosport are both small cars, Ecosport just being tad smaller. I think Ford has better brand recognition and presence, their car is and looks modern, why would they sell it cheap?
All are subjective statements. I find Duster to be quite good looking and Ecosport does not even come close - and by the huge success it has generated, its not just me alone. I do not think Ford has any better brand value than Renault. I agree someone else will have a different point of view here : but my suspicion is that it would be a minority.

Quote:
For example the Duster petrol version is no match for Ecosport petrol version (and also the engine). It would be interesting to see how many petrol Dusters Renault is selling. If I was interested in a compact SUV running on petrol, I wouldn't even consider the Duster petrol, which is simply too basic and without any safety features.
I agree - 1L EcoBoost engine would be my choice if I have to choose between petrol engines. But there will be hardly any sales in petrol segment here. Real opportunity is in the diesel - even in an urban market.

Anyway, enough debate on the price. Lets move on and agree to disagree.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 7th August 2012 at 17:31.
Old 7th August 2012, 18:24   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Just a minor correction in the above statement, the 1.0L Ecoboost has already been launched under the hood of Ford Focus in UK & some other European countries. So this technology is already available now, though not in Ecosport but some other vehicle. In all probability the Ecosport with the 1.0L Ecoboost engine will be launched in China well before we get it here in India.
AutoIndia, thanks for the comment - I guess I should have clarified that I was referring to the Ecoboost 1.0 technology in the Ford Ecosport.

As for your other comment, only time will tell if India or China will go first with this engine. I have not seen any official confirmed dates about either market. The reports on the internet are speculative and say that China is possibly set for "end 2012" and also we hear speculative dates like January 4, 2013 for the India launch. India offers a hard duty incentive to use the 1.0 liter engine (since 1.6 engine used in Brazil will negate the lower excise rate). I do not believe China or Brazil have this kind of incentive for smaller engines. So I would think Ford has a strong motivation to get this engine to India as early as possible.
Old 8th August 2012, 09:42   #1161
BHPian

There will also be another point that will be decider ,maintenance cost. I believe duster will be easier to maintain with tried and tested engine and simple body lines.
Ecosport will be expensive to maintain also the more external plastics used means more money from pocket in case of a small crash.Being a Ford owner I know that ford quotes exhorbhitant amounts for body work. That is one the main point why bolero sells even though it has one of the poor ergonomics in the whole segment.
Old 8th August 2012, 23:47   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Indian version is definitely going to be under 4m.

Refer the article below, which was published in Autocar India & is also available in the Buzz section of Ford India website (for Ecosport).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
I don't think so. If more than 4m, it will not qualify for the excise duty benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Maybe, that will be including the length of Spare tyre included, which is mounted on its tail-gate contributing to its overall length.
Else, Ford needs to shave 'few centimetres' to project EcoSport in sub-4 metre bracket in India.
Shaving few inches does not seems good idea to the already smaller Ecosport.but they have to do it to get the excise benefit.
It may end up like new Dzire and sub 4 mtr will not suit taller Ecosport IMO.
Duster at 4.31 Mtrs looks more proportionate and more VFM product as of now.
Old 9th August 2012, 16:08   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Shaving few inches does not seems good idea to the already smaller Ecosport.but they have to do it to get the excise benefit.
It may end up like new Dzire and sub 4 mtr will not suit taller Ecosport IMO.
Duster at 4.31 Mtrs looks more proportionate and more VFM product as of now.
I don't believe they will have to shave anything. The length of the car including the spare is 4.23M. The tire is a 205 section, i.e, the width of the spare is 20.5 cm. So minus the spare tire, the length should be about 4 meters.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 21:26   #1164
Senior - BHPian

A video showing the manufacturing of body panels of Ecosport in the Camacari plant in Brazil -->

The Ecosports in various hues & colours lined up on the day of launch in Brazil -->

Another one on Ecosport, this being quite lengthy --->

This video shows the multiple storage compartments present in New EcoSport -->

Another one showing the active & passive safety, ABS, EBD, Hill hold assist, air bags etc -->

Last edited by AutoIndian : 9th August 2012 at 21:40.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 05:55   #1165
BHPian

If this site is to believed the ecosport is having the recliner seats in the rear as well. Ford EcoSport (2013) . It is a very good feature, in the old Wagon-R this was one the best feature I liked.

If you haven't gone through the above article it is worth going through once
Old 11th August 2012, 14:27   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
That's Ford's problem. I am just predicting it will be a FLOP of it prices it even equal to Duster. Its not my dream or wish or concern. Its just a simple statement.
I was talking about everyone's dream of Ecosport priced lower than Duster. My comment wasn't specific to you. Please don't take it personally.

Quote:
All are subjective statements. I find Duster to be quite good looking and Ecosport does not even come close - and by the huge success it has generated, its not just me alone. I do not think Ford has any better brand value than Renault. I agree someone else will have a different point of view here : but my suspicion is that it would be a minority.
Only one statement about the Ecosport being better looking than Duster can be called subjective. My other statements about Ecosport being smaller than Duster, it being a more modern design than Duster, Ford having better brand recognition and presence (in Indian context) are not subjective statements. Also note that I wasn't talking about "brand value" of Ford as you have mentioned. It's a different topic altogether and not relevant to this discussion. I was only talking about brand recognition and presence in India. Finally, Ecosport is still not on sale in most part of the world so one cannot judge it by comparing with the success the Duster has generated.

Quote:
Lets move on and agree to disagree.
. I am putting a stop to this discussion.
MandarMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 12:42   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Carplace has published some stunning pictures (128 in total) during the recent media drive in Natal (Brazil). Below is the link

Impressões ao dirigir o Novo Ford EcoSport 1.6 Freestyle e 2.0 Titanium 2013 - Veja fotos do teste | CARPLACE - Portal do Automóvel

Would have loved to see more interior pictures. Nevertheless the photoshoot has been done at a very scenic location.

One thing I observed is that the spare wheel is secured on the tail gate by 2 different types of bolts. I mean one spanner/tool won't fit all the bolts. Could this have been designed purposefully to prevent flicking of the spare wheel & it could be removed only by a special tool. Refer the picture below:
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-spare-wheel.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 14:39   #1168
BHPian

Check out these videos from the same event. The more I look at the car the more I like it!

Check out the interiors after 5:50:

This one is without any audio:

Testing the SYNC:
MandarMax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 14:43   #1169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One thing I observed is that the spare wheel is secured on the tail gate by 2 different types of bolts. I mean one spanner/tool won't fit all the bolts. Could this have been designed purposefully to prevent flicking of the spare wheel & it could be removed only by a special tool. Refer the picture below:
Attachment 968494
The bolt on the bottom is a locking bolt. You need to unlock it with a special key. This is done to prevent someone from stealing the spare. Most Skoda's like Laura/Superb/Octavia have this bolt in each wheel.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 16:44   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Carplace has published some stunning pictures (128 in total) during the recent media drive in Natal (Brazil). Below is the link
Thank you, the boot space of the EcoSport looks much smaller than what the Duster has on offer.
Closed Thread