Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st August 2012, 15:32   #1186
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I heard the Duster top end diesel is close to 13 L OTR. In that case, can we expect the Ecosport top end diesel to be priced below 10 L?

I dont intend to disappoint anyone. In fact I hope it is priced below 10L too, just want to ensure we dont go the Fiesta way and build a bubble only for Ford's pricing pin to prick it.
I do agree with this

It seems to me that Ford cannot price it down given the fact that they have a new engine being plonked with quite a bit of jazz in the car setting in. With the Fiesta (sedan) at 13 it just does not make sense for the Ecosport to be pegged in the 7lac bracket. The Ecosport would be matching Fiesta feature by feature in the inside (dashboards, accessories etc). I would place my money between the 10 and 13 range with the top end hitting 13l

Cheers
Subra
Old 21st August 2012, 19:33   #1187
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I do agree with this

It seems to me that Ford cannot price it down given the fact that they have a new engine being plonked with quite a bit of jazz in the car setting in. With the Fiesta (sedan) at 13 it just does not make sense for the Ecosport to be pegged in the 7lac bracket. The Ecosport would be matching Fiesta feature by feature in the inside (dashboards, accessories etc). I would place my money between the 10 and 13 range with the top end hitting 13l

Cheers
Subra
I think a sensible strategy for Ford would be to try and straddle a range of price brackets, somewhat similar to what Renault has done with the Duster. Fundamentally, the compact/mini SUV category is totally new and attarcts prospective buyers who are currently leaning towards different existing segments. So the positioning and messaging may have to be different within each segment.

Segment 1 - Convert Prospective customers for higher end of the hatch-back (B) segment - buyers who may otherwise have gone for a Honda Jazz/VW Polo/Skoda Fabia etc. These buyers are prepared to spend Rs. 7 - 9 Lakhs OTR (Petrol/Diesel). They may find an attractive alternative in Ford Ecosport with its uniqueness, pride of ownership of a "perceived" higher segment car, higher driving position (important for lady owners), better road presence etc. If Ford is able to bring in a lower end petrol version with either the 1.0 Ecoboost of 1.5 Duratec (whichever costs less after accounting for production costs and excise benefits) at around 8.5 - 9 lacs OTR, it may be able to convert this segment very well. Fuel efficiency and cost is going to be key here and if Ford can get the right balance of price, fuel efficiency and perceived maintenance costs, they have plenty of opportunity here. Another thing to emphasize with marketing here would be smaller size which makes it almost as easy to handle and park as a hatchback (versus say the Duster or Scorpio)

Segment 2 - Convert prospective Sedan buyers of C-segment cars such as VW Vento/Skoda Rapid/Hyundai Verna/Honda City who are willing to spend at 9 -11 Lac OTR. The variant would have to be well specked, definitely with 1.0 Ecoboost Petrol engine or the 1.5 Duratorq for Diesel and with a rich in features. They may also be able to effect a paradigm shift among existing petrol car owners who are thinking of going to (the alien) Diesel only for running cost cost reasons, to instead go towards the 1.0 Ecoboost with clever messaging and a heavy marketing push, especially if Diesel prices go up before the launch. This I think this will be the mainstream segment Ford will target with the Ecosport and they will have to do it with a value packed mid-variants.

Segment 3 - Prospective buyers of SUVs such as Duster/XUV etc. These are folks who have already decided to get a compact SUV and are doing intense comparison shopping. They may be willing to pay Rs. 11-13 Lacs OTR. This, I think, will be a primarily diesel market and Ford would have to offer the best Diesel engine it has in its stable. It is disadvantaged here because I do not think Ford has too many alternatives other than the 1.5 Duratoq to offer. They will have to bring out a value packed top end Diesel at around 12-13 Lac OTR and win feature on feature against the Duster and XUV. There may even be some takers for this variant from among entry D segment prospects who are intrigued with the idea of SUV rather than a big Sedan that is harder to park and maneuver.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 19:52   #1188
BHPian

They could take on the 85 bhp Duster with the 1.4 tdci from Figo and Classic.
Old 21st August 2012, 20:22   #1189
BHPian

Just checked with the Fortune Ford dealer in Hyderabad, the official booking hasn't yet started. But they are taking booking amount so that they can immediately book the car once the booking starts.
Old 21st August 2012, 20:56   #1190
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess we are expecting a bit too much from the 7-10L pricing. I expect some additional premium over duster variant to variant and may be with some extra features. I do hope ABS to be standard in all variants going by the recent move from Ford. While I expect 2 variants to be sub-10L ex showroom, I will not expect the top end to be with in 10L! Also it could happen that both the fuel options are priced almost equal and not have a 1L price difference.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st August 2012 at 20:57.
Old 21st August 2012, 21:03   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I do agree with this

Cheers
Subra
The Eco sport will be 4 meters so it should benefit from the lower duties plus the petrol and diesel engines too fall in the lower excise duty bracket.I expect the ecosoprt to be priced atmost 11 lakhs OTR Bangalore,anything more and sure Dud!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
They could take on the 85 bhp Duster with the 1.4 tdci from Figo and Classic.
The 1.4 is an old engine, If the Eco soprt is an aspirational SUV it should definately have some power! 1.4 will be underpowered for a car that is heavier than the figo!

I hope Ford is reading this thread and taking the feedback from prospective owners!! I just hope they price it well, taking into account the Ertiga's pricing and dusters.They should make the interiors plush, beige is must or atleast full black interiors not the dull and boring grey one from the new fiesta! and offer enough of kit even on the lower models the way hyundai does it!!
AND OT
Please revive the new fiesta sedan!! this brilliant car is slowly slipping into oblivion.Please do up the interiors, slash the price,atleast a lakh for the diesels and try and extend the wheelbase if possible(more space needed!),if Hyundai can launch a extended wheelbase version of the elantra for china surely you with 100 years of experience can do it for the fiesta!I know i dream too much but... END OF RANT!!!

Note From Team-BHP Support-Staff: Please stick to the -TWO-Smiley' rule.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd August 2012 at 02:14. Reason: see note in post
Old 21st August 2012, 21:56   #1192
BHPian

The 1.4 tdci can run rings around Duster with a remap. Just in case they want a wide range of engines to offer.
Old 21st August 2012, 22:41   #1193
BHPian

My assumptions on entry level prices based on below article which reveal approx. pricing in china.

Ford Ecosport is in Production in China | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News

It says Ecosport with 1.0 Ecoboost will be prices around 100000 Yan, which is around 873,928 Rs.

In china 1.5 MT Convenient Honda City costs 96800 Yan, 8,44,891 Rs.
In India 1.5 MT Corporate Honda City costs 7, 37,000 Rs.

I have compared similar models of Honda City.

It is just my assumption below based on above comparison and without considering the excise duty benefits for under 4 meter vehicle.

I feel entry level 1.0 L Ecosport may be priced around 7.3 L Rs (Atleast ABS as standard). And 1.5 L Ecosport may be priced around 8.2 L(. (Atleast ABS as standard). I feel Air bags may be given as standard as well by Ford.

Note that Duster was only 60% localized and was not having any excise benefits. Ecosport is believed to have 80% + of localization.

If ford prices 50k more for above assumed prices, then ford will be in trouble.

- Bagheerath Reddy
bageherath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 01:39   #1194
BHPian

I am not very sure if it was a ecosport , but i saw one with very similar frontal view here in Phoenix... did not look attractive to me atleast. Will try to upload a photo next time.
Old 22nd August 2012, 05:46   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess we are expecting a bit too much from the 7-10L pricing. I expect some additional premium over duster variant to variant and may be with some extra features. I do hope ABS to be standard in all variants going by the recent move from Ford. While I expect 2 variants to be sub-10L ex showroom, I will not expect the top end to be with in 10L! Also it could happen that both the fuel options are priced almost equal and not have a 1L price difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
My assumptions on entry level prices based on below article which reveal approx. pricing in china.

Ford Ecosport is in Production in China | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News

It says Ecosport with 1.0 Ecoboost will be prices around 100000 Yan, which is around 873,928 Rs.

In china 1.5 MT Convenient Honda City costs 96800 Yan, 8,44,891 Rs.
In India 1.5 MT Corporate Honda City costs 7, 37,000 Rs.

- Bagheerath Reddy
See my post here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2821523 (Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33) . So with my calculation Base petrol (With ABS/EBD and Airbags standard) coming to 7.24 showroom and Diesel would be 7.6 Ex-showroom (Because for Ecoboost engine there is a premium we have added). So may be the top end model diesel on road pricing just cross 10L
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:27   #1196
BHPian

As per scoops Ford Ecosport that is on the way to the Indian roads is going to be a 5 seater. There are many prospective customers for this "Urban SUV". That crowd includes me too. But I feel anything above 10.5 lakhs for the top end diesel won't give us Value For Money(I am not considering the 4x4 option). If we have a budget of above 10.5 lakhs why can't one extend the budget a bit and go for a rugged SUV like Scorpio.
So Ford , if target audience are the the sedan buyers that is the fiesta, linea segments and the premium hatchback buyers(VW Polo Highline, Swift ZDi etc) they will have to price it below 10.5 lakhs(on road)
If Ford India is adopting the same pricing strategy they adopted for the Global Fiesta Sedan it would be another product that is going to fail only because of "wrong pricing"
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:03   #1197
Distinguished - BHPian

As per One ford global plan, I doubt 1.4 tdci will make it to Ecosport. While Mr. Boneham has confirmed on the diesel engine, he has not provided the details of the (diesel) engine that will power the Ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
...I expect the ecosoprt to be priced atmost 11 lakhs OTR Bangalore,anything more and sure Dud!!!...
Top variant for 11L OTR Bangy? People used to say the same for Duster too! And see where bare bones Duster is priced in Bangy & is it still a dud? We are jumping the gun ! Ford India head has already stated "aggressive pricing" is on cards for Ecosport. Now we have to wait & see what is the range of that "aggressive pricing"!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd August 2012 at 11:05.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:43   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per One ford global plan, I doubt 1.4 tdci will make it to Ecosport. While Mr. Boneham has confirmed on the diesel engine, he has not provided the details of the (diesel) engine that will power the Ecosport.

Top variant for 11L OTR Bangy? People used to say the same for Duster too! And see where bare bones Duster is priced in Bangy & is it still a dud? We are jumping the gun ! Ford India head has already stated "aggressive pricing" is on cards for Ecosport. Now we have to wait & see what is the range of that "aggressive pricing"!
When Punto was introduced it was priced above swift and still the booking numbers/sales in the first 6 months were huge. See where it is now. Just give 1 year and see how the sales/bookings move southwards on Duster. I see introduction of Ecosport, Mini Xylo and XA Alpha making a big dent on Duster.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:56   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
I suppose it is to come with a 1.5 diesel engine. 90 horses. The same one that does duty in the new ford fiesta.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:02   #1200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
I suppose it is to come with a 1.5 diesel engine. 90 horses. The same one that does duty in the new ford fiesta.
Mostly yes. Since Mr. Boneham has been reluctant to confirm the engine, me doubt whether it could be a VGT version of fiesta engine with a better output - say a 110 bhp! Well, we don't lose anything by hoping so!
Closed Thread