Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th October 2012, 22:48   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Ecosport is the next big thing in Indian market. It would shake market up. Looks stunning and well proportioned from all sides. A good looking car in the midst of mostly ugly looking cars. It would draw customers form hatch / sedan and SUVs segments. This car could be new Siwft. If this car had come from house of Marutis, then queue would have stretched from here to Moon. And please do not use Ecosport and Quanto in same sentence.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 23:10   #1457
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Thank you MAS for the photos and your report.

I am in LOVE with those Freestyle Alloys. I'm sure the Ecosport would look quite good in bright colors too. A red Ecosport to go with my Red Palio, now that is a sight I can live with easily.

I think the top end Diesel will get better interiors in India. Even if it doesn't, the interiors immediately give a better "feel" than the Duster's do.

That said, now the ball is in Ford's court. They have to price it right, or else it'll be yet another dud.
Old 9th October 2012, 23:19   #1458
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Sir,how is the ecosport priced in brazil in relation to the new Fiesta??

And could you list out some key features of the top end(Titanium?) variant??
Good question Kini. I realized i missed that as soon as i reached the Renault Showroom. I have asked my Brazilian colleague to get the price for me. I hope i can get the price. But the Fiesta in Brazil looks different from the Indian one.

As mentioned in my posts, the Titanium Variant gets a heart transplant and has a 2.0 Litre Engine.It gets all the bells and whistles, right from ACC, additional air bags, a different alloys, better interiors, better fabric, Start-Stop button with key less entry, etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Thanks for the brief drive report. Can you please clarify more on the body roll? Would it be something similar like that of the ol school Scorpio or Xylos?
I
Yes Sir the Black looks very seductive compared to other colors. Also how good is the ground clearance? How was Engine's response? Apologies if am asking too many questions
The body roll is just present and no where near the Indian boats (Scorpio, Xylo, etc). The car looks good in almost all colours. The Ecosport came with the same 1.6 Litre engine, which does duty in the Focus. When compared to the Focus, the Ecosport is extremely peppy to drive. The Engine pulls cleanly.

Last edited by MAS : 9th October 2012 at 23:37.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 00:17   #1459
Team-BHP Support

Hi MAS

Those are some great pictures and wonderful insights on the EcoSport. I appreciate the enthusiasm, especially with regard to the comparisons to cars in the same segment and otherwise. Fantastic inputs indeed! Can't thank you enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The Ecosport did feel a bit light, not very sturdy and glued to the road type, like the New Fiesta. Focus is altogether in a different league when it comes to handling and road grip is concerned.

The body roll is present in the Ecosport

Due to its construction, the handling of Focus is in a different league when compared to the Ecosport. Both are priced similarly and has the same 1.6 Litre Flex engine, but the Ecosport felt much more agile when compared to the Focus.
I guess it doesn't grip the surface as well as the Fiesta / Focus because of the higher center of gravity.

You have mentioned that the Fiesta is a better handler and that isn't hard to believe. That said, could you elaborate on the point regarding the agility of the EcoSport being better than the Focus, despite the Focus being the better handler? Yes, agility isn't everything in the 'handling-package'. But I'd like to know more.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 01:15   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, at the end of the test drive, i felt the same way. I just hope Ford India tunes the suspension and price to more comfortable levels. But even with this package, the Ecosport were literally flying off the shelves in Brazil with a waiting period of 40 days. The Duster on the other hand was not selling too well and was immediately available.
Well, this bit would be a bit inaccurate.

According to this blog, it is in fact the Renault Duster (3,474 units in September, 30,817 in 2012) which sells in better numbers than the Ford Ecosport (3,036 units in September, 21,443 in 2012).
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 10:53   #1461
BHPian

EcoSports will be launched by feb next year! Source:Yahoo.
Old 10th October 2012, 11:33   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
The body roll is just present and no where near the Indian boats (Scorpio, Xylo, etc). The car looks good in almost all colours. The Ecosport came with the same 1.6 Litre engine, which does duty in the Focus. When compared to the Focus, the Ecosport is extremely peppy to drive. The Engine pulls cleanly.
Compared to Scorpio and Xylo, even a boat would ride better, IMO

Jokes apart, I think the different you're feeling is because you're used to or comparing it with the new Fiesta Sedan or the Focus that you'd been driving in Brazil. Yes, the tall stance of the Ecosport, will not give it the road hugging nature of the Fiesta but it should still be much better than any other SUV/MUV in India right now. Question is, is the ride good enough or even better compared to the duster as I think that is the only real competition the Ecosport has in the foreseeable future.
Old 10th October 2012, 12:11   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Link to ACI's Ford EcoSport review report:

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...est-drive.aspx
Old 10th October 2012, 13:30   #1464
BHPian

The Duster is a much bigger car than the Ecosport and strictly speaking is not comparable.
Old 10th October 2012, 23:18   #1465
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hi MAS

I guess it doesn't grip the surface as well as the Fiesta / Focus because of the higher center of gravity.

You have mentioned that the Fiesta is a better handler and that isn't hard to believe. That said, could you elaborate on the point regarding the agility of the EcoSport being better than the Focus, despite the Focus being the better handler? Yes, agility isn't everything in the 'handling-package'. But I'd like to know more.
The Focus is a great car and handles very well. The Ecosport Freestyle comes with the same 1.6 Litre Engine as the Focus. But the Ecosport pulls quickly when the accelerate is pressed. The Ecosport feels lighter than the Focus and responds quickly to the increasing pressure of the right foot. On the other hand, Focus takes longer to get to higher speeds. The difference is enhanced due to the feather light EPS on the Eco compared to the heavy HPS on the Focus.

That is the reason i wrote the Ecosport is more agile to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Well, this bit would be a bit inaccurate.

According to this blog, it is in fact the Renault Duster (3,474 units in September, 30,817 in 2012) which sells in better numbers than the Ford Ecosport (3,036 units in September, 21,443 in 2012).
I'm sorry as i gave the information based on the discussions i had with my colleagues in Brazil and the SA in the showrooms.

The info in the blog could be right, but it pertains to the old Ecosport too. The new Ecosport was launched in July (11th?) and deliveries have just started about two months back. The new Ecosport is not even available in all Ford showrooms yet. We should wait for atleast a few months and then compare the figures.

Last edited by MAS : 10th October 2012 at 23:33.
Old 11th October 2012, 00:43   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
The Quanto, i guess, will be no match to the Ecosport in terms of brand value or the driving pleasure. IMO, Ford will price it higher than the Quanto.
In terms of driving pleasure would you rate the Ecosport above the Duster?
Old 11th October 2012, 08:40   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Yeay! The Freestyle alloys are coming to India, in the Titanium version - courtesy - spy picture from Motor Vikatan

Name:  fordecosport3.jpg
Views: 4415
Size:  60.5 KB

I really love the Interiors and the Exteriors of the EcoSport. Bottle holders on all doors are definitely welcome. The door pads a brilliant, unlike the boring looking ones of the Global Fiesta (especially in the rear) and the door handles on the inside, though the same design as Global Fiesta, give an upmarket look in the EcoSport due to the silver colouring.

Now all I wish is that the ride quality and pricing to be on the soft side. If thats is the case, this baby Ford would fly off the shelves.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 11th October 2012 at 08:43.
Old 11th October 2012, 09:22   #1468
BHPian

I would expect this to be another blockbuster from Ford. Stunning looks on the exterior and good interiors, with reasonable space all around !

Considering the nearness to 4mtr, excluding sparewheel, is it a confirmed case of <4mtr category ?

If yes, then with the added advantage of slashed Excise, the Ecosport would be a winner all the way. Looking forward to some attractive pricing from Ford India.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:31   #1469
Senior - BHPian

There is another set of undisguised EcoSport's images uploaded on Facebook. The link to these is as under (courtesy Indiancarsbikes website, which has put up an article on the latest sighting):

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/i...sguised-63226/
Old 11th October 2012, 10:33   #1470
BHPian

Ford Ecosport Automatic spied completely undisgiused.

Link:http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/i...sguised-63226/
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-2013fordecosportcompactcrossoverautomatic4.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-2013fordecosportcompactcrossoverautomatic3.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-2013fordecosportcompactcrossoverautomatic1.jpg  

sarthakgupta is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread