Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2012, 16:20   #376
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 1,440
Thanked: 607 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Reading this in ACI site was like music to my ears. So it's really whole different from existing one, except the body shell. Can't understand Tata's and Force's strategy.
Here, "A Storme on the horizon: We got to take an exclusive spin in Tata’s new Safari Storme, and while it looks virtually the same as its forebear, we’re happy to report it’s a very different beast under its rugged skin."
Magazine - Autocar India
DicKy is offline  
Old 28th January 2012, 17:13   #377
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

although , I wonder why this thread has got max views amongst all auto-expo individual vehicle threads (1,25,730). People are apprehensive but Safari sure has a fan following
dadu is offline  
Old 29th January 2012, 06:15   #378
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
although , I wonder why this thread has got max views amongst all auto-expo individual vehicle threads (1,25,730). People are apprehensive but Safari sure has a fan following
Funnily enough I was thinking about this as well. It's not just a good number among individual vehicle threads, but it's actually 2nd overall (among all threads), with only the general Auto Expo thread having a larger number of page views.
Amartya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 17:23   #379
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default

The more I read about the Storme the more I want this SUV, though I feel there is seriously something missing in this safari and that is the 4X4 should have been in the lower versions also and not restricted to vx, hope to see 4X4 in ex as that will ensure greater reach.

Last edited by kailashnj : 29th January 2012 at 17:24.
kailashnj is offline  
Old 29th January 2012, 19:27   #380
BHPian
 
Sathya_sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 531
Thanked: 642 Times
Default

Absolutely.. More and more I read about this SUV the more i am leaning towards it. Safari has some charm in it which always creates a fan following.. I have fallen for it for sure. I check this thred atleast 50 times a day.
Sathya_sc is offline  
Old 29th January 2012, 23:46   #381
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default

Any news on the availability or the launch date and the expected prices of the new safari Storme?????

Can anyone guide what are the accessories or features that would be available in the different versions as that will allow many people to take decisions?

Another question that come to my mind is that will the old safari been sold along with the new or will they discontinue the old, if they continue to sell the old safari then I am sure it will be ate lower cost and that will be great news too as even though the older safari might have some niggles but it still has lot of charm and with reduced prices it might be a better selling car as you get a full fledge SUV at the prices of a premium hatch then.
kailashnj is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 00:30   #382
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Another question that come to my mind is that will the old safari been sold along with the new or will they discontinue the old, if they continue to sell the old safari then I am sure it will be ate lower cost and that will be great news too as even though the older safari might have some niggles but it still has lot of charm and with reduced prices it might be a better selling car as you get a full fledge SUV at the prices of a premium hatch then.
While it may indeed be interesting, I don't think this is very likely. Running different production lines for cars sharing engines and quite a few body panels, but not the chassis, doesn't seem feasible.

There's the issue of product overlap, the Grande will then find even fewer (than the already abysmal) number of buyers. Also, a brand as iconic as the Safari shouldn't really be diluted, by that I mean going significantly lower in the price chain and having to reduce equipment levels etc.
Amartya is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 08:19   #383
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya

While it may indeed be interesting, I don't think this is very likely. Running different production lines for cars sharing engines and quite a few body panels, but not the chassis, doesn't seem feasible.

There's the issue of product overlap, the Grande will then find even fewer (than the already abysmal) number of buyers. Also, a brand as iconic as the Safari shouldn't really be diluted, by that I mean going significantly lower in the price chain and having to reduce equipment levels etc.
I accept what you are pointing about the brand safari being diluted but if the reach of the brand increases, it's always profitable for both the brand and end consumer and improves bottom line
kailashnj is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 16:49   #384
BHPian
 
Fortuner71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mysore
Posts: 385
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

The safari Storme is definitely a better vehicle and iam sure they would sorted out all the issues, which the previous generation of safari was known for.Moreover Safari has always been known for its comfort and now with refined levels , would definitely do well .

Iam sure the top end version will have good amount of features like the Aria to cater to some customers.
Good to see indian manufacturers rising up to the competition.
Fortuner71 is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 18:33   #385
BHPian
 
Y@SH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Did anyone pay a closer look at the engine bay and noticed the Amaron battery?!?! Shocking isint it that TATA isint using TATA Green batteries?
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 19:41   #386
BHPian
 
kaviprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 819
Thanked: 581 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Did anyone pay a closer look at the engine bay and noticed the Amaron battery?!?! Shocking isint it that TATA isint using TATA Green batteries?
Even the existing [at least, my] Safari uses AMARON only.
So, nothing new, I think.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 19:57   #387
BHPian
 
Vasuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Venice of East
Posts: 326
Thanked: 204 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

The below link quotes price at around Rs.10 lakhs. If this is the cost I think this is fairly reasonable. May be higher end with all bells and whistles including ESP would cost another 2 to 3 lakhs more. This makes it very competetive with XUV. BTW about looks, it is again one's perspective.

Tata Safari Storme, Tata Safari Storme Price, Review, Mileage | CarDekho India
Vasuki is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 20:26   #388
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
The below link quotes price at around Rs.10 lakhs. If this is the cost I think this is fairly reasonable. May be higher end with all bells and whistles including ESP would cost another 2 to 3 lakhs more. This makes it very competetive with XUV.

If TATA does end up doing that,they might end up cannibalising sales of the entry variants of the Aria(I heard discounts are on offer).Lets face it,Safari does have that 'macho' image.Prospective customers might be tempted to settle for the top end safari!!
KINI is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 21:51   #389
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 327
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
No, don't read much into that. Not only because they have an asterisk and a
disclaimer that this is an indicative price. I have been viewing the same price
on this site for last 7-8 months - of course with name Merlin earlier - since I
was a prospective buyer of Safari.
mayuresh is offline  
Old 30th January 2012, 22:45   #390
AVR
BHPian
 
AVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 930
Thanked: 511 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Totally speculative review. Don't think they have any more info beyond what was seen at the Expo. And the English was atrocious too.

Anyways, read the Autocar First Drive for the Storme and they rate it at 8/10 which I feel is rather good. It seems Tata's done a great job of improving on the key pain points of the old Safari i.e. Fit-n-finish, body-roll, overall quality and driveability. The only weakpoint seems to be the feature-list where not much can be done so late in the day. Nevertheless, am fine as long as what is offered works. Always.
AVR is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme) g_prajeesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 29th August 2016 16:13
Wheelosphere at The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo 2010 udayjani The Indian Car Scene 3 10th October 2010 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks