Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 21:00   #601
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,975
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

I feel that they have not recovered from the XUV500 assault. They will have to keep *improving* the product until Mahindra slowly increases prices on the XUV and then launch it below the XUV500. Besides a few die hard Tata fans, there will be no takers, if priced in the same bracket as the XUV500.

If they keep on delaying the launch, they may as well kill the product as more competition is on the way.
4x4addict is offline  
Old 25th April 2012, 23:41   #602
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,860
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Ford Eco sport is just around the corner; the competition is not going to die down. Would be interesting to see the final product features vs the price.
HappyWheels is offline  
Old 26th April 2012, 03:25   #603
BHPian
 
himavanth_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Pune/Chennai
Posts: 582
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Ford Eco sport is just around the corner; the competition is not going to die down. Would be interesting to see the final product features vs the price.
Ford Ecosport will not be direct competitor to the Storme or XUV. It is much smaller in dimensions and it will not give the huge dimensions that Safari or XUV gives. Also I dont think Ford Ecosport has a diesel option under its range. They just have the 1 litre ecoboost engine plonked into the ecosport. If this is the case then there is all the more reason to believe that Ecosport will not be a direct competitor to the Storme.

Plus I strongly believe that Safari is brought with heart or for the image by most people. The sensible person who checks all the alternatives hardly buys a safari. But with delaying the Storme, it is loosing ground not just because new launches have come up, but also because the hype has died down. If the hype were there, just because of the hype, it would have moved off the showroom floors a bit more easily.
himavanth_m is offline  
Old 26th April 2012, 09:11   #604
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
UPDATE: From a semi-reliable source. Storme Expected Launch April Month end / First week of May. I hope Tata does not push the dates further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Storme production has started. I heard that an initial lot of 1000 stormes are being manufactured now. So the launch should be soon. I got this information about the production from a very reliable source.
Good! so bookign should start by May/June for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
It is now imperative to know the difference/modifications/changes from the model that appear in Auto Expo and actual market model. This will be going to clear only after it is available in the showroom.

In these days they have got one more vehicle (XUV500) for benchmarking.
I think they are doing their home work right this time wrt to quality of product. I drive a 1lac kilo on odo Safari and every time I drive it me go Safari owners would understand this better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
if they launch it around June/July then they will have more players apart from XUV the Duster, Eco Sport to complete with, I dont understand what's holding them from launch.
Comfort and presence is what Safari is known for. I pray that the delay is only coz of the above said reason. I cant wait to drive a Safari with all disc brakes and new chassis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Does TATA really have any other option with the Storme? The product needs to be placed very competitively for it to sell. Other than the 4X4 low, it has no other USP. The Ertiga beats it on pure value, the XUV beats it in tech and goodies and with the Duster and Ecosport coming up, it might offer very little VFM as well.

So really, if the festive pricing does not go on for ever and not just three months as that is when the Duster will probably be out, I see the Storme going the Aria way. And that would be sad!
Ertiga ! I wont compare it with Safari unless you want something to move 7 people on NH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Ford Ecosport will not be direct competitor to the Storme or XUV. It is much smaller in dimensions and it will not give the huge dimensions that Safari or XUV gives. Also I dont think Ford Ecosport has a diesel option under its range. They just have the 1 litre ecoboost engine plonked into the ecosport. If this is the case then there is all the more reason to believe that Ecosport will not be a direct competitor to the Storme.

Plus I strongly believe that Safari is brought with heart or for the image by most people. The sensible person who checks all the alternatives hardly buys a safari. But with delaying the Storme, it is loosing ground not just because new launches have come up, but also because the hype has died down. If the hype were there, just because of the hype, it would have moved off the showroom floors a bit more easily.
Ford's with that puny 1lt engine would be another snail on highway.
jkdas is offline  
Old 26th April 2012, 09:42   #605
BHPian
 
rrsteer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 144022
Posts: 940
Thanked: 893 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Now the XUV has been around for 6 months. But the Safari continues to sell @ 1200-1500 mark (and this is what it has been selling all along). So can't we treat the Storme as just an upgrade to Safari, without comparing it to XUV and thinking that Storme has to be positioned keeping only the XUV in mind?

Last edited by rrsteer : 26th April 2012 at 09:57.
rrsteer is offline  
Old 26th April 2012, 10:33   #606
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,860
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Ford Ecosport will not be direct competitor to the Storme or XUV. It is much smaller in dimensions and it will not give the huge dimensions that Safari or XUV gives. Also I dont think Ford Ecosport has a diesel option under its range. They just have the 1 litre ecoboost engine plonked into the ecosport. If this is the case then there is all the more reason to believe that Ecosport will not be a direct competitor to the Storme...
I hope so!

But, the small size might work to its benefit. And yes, there is a diesel option available. And isn't the 1 liter petrol a turbo charged one?



Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
But with delaying the Storme, it is loosing ground not just because new launches have come up, but also because the hype has died down. If the hype were there, just because of the hype, it would have moved off the showroom floors a bit more easily.
+1


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Now the XUV has been around for 6 months. But the Safari continues to sell @ 1200-1500 mark (and this is what it has been selling all along). So can't we treat the Storme as just an upgrade to Safari, without comparing it to XUV and thinking that Storme has to be positioned keeping only the XUV in mind?
Proves that people who get smittened by the Safari will buy it, regardless of what the competition offers. Tata must try and built up on this, which they keep missing!
HappyWheels is offline  
Old 26th April 2012, 10:44   #607
BHPian
 
himavanth_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Pune/Chennai
Posts: 582
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
But, the small size might work to its benefit. And yes, there is a diesel option available. And isn't the 1 liter petrol a turbo charged one?
Yes the 1 litre ecoboost engine is a turbo charged engine which develops in excess of 100 bhp (i think 120bhp) if I am not mistaken.

I do not remember a diesel Ecosport being mentioned in the Auto Expo. Could you please refresh my memory as to which diesel engine option would be available in this vehicle?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Proves that people who get smittened by the Safari will buy it, regardless of what the competition offers. Tata must try and built up on this, which they keep missing!
+1. This is the main reason I think the TATA's retained the overall body panels from old safari and just made minor tweaks to them in the Storme
himavanth_m is offline  
Old 26th April 2012, 15:06   #608
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,521
Thanked: 2,253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer
Now the XUV has been around for 6 months. But the Safari continues to sell @ 1200-1500 mark (and this is what it has been selling all along). So can't we treat the Storme as just an upgrade to Safari, without comparing it to XUV and thinking that Storme has to be positioned keeping only the XUV in mind?
Also could be due to the numerous discounts tata has been offering to clear the stocks. Ideally, the sales should have been a little better with all the discounts.

Xuv captured people's attention and MM didn't let the hype die! Here, I see the opposite, TML built up the atmosphere around auto expo and have now left the public guessing!

If this delay is a knee jerk reaction due to the xuv, I would say, they should have known and planned better.
Dry Ice is offline  
Old 27th April 2012, 16:06   #609
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 2,006
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Got an update from my source in TML- per him, the reason for the delay of the Storme is NOT the XUV- there are some issues in suspension geometry that still need sorting out. that is the reason we are still seeing so many test mules. TML want to iron these out before launch.



As always, he had no idea of pricing or positioning since he is an ERC guy
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 20:25   #610
BHPian
 
deepaktpatil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KA 05, MH 10
Posts: 285
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Got an update from my source in TML- per him, the reason for the delay of the Storme is NOT the XUV- there are some issues in suspension geometry that still need sorting out. that is the reason we are still seeing so many test mules. TML want to iron these out before launch.



As always, he had no idea of pricing or positioning since he is an ERC guy
Not a good news if this is true. Suspension has been known to be achilles heel of current as well as older generation Safari's. Hope the old story will not be repeating and Stormes endurance is much higher.
deepaktpatil is offline  
Old 27th April 2012, 21:09   #611
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Got an update from my source in TML- per him, the reason for the delay of the Storme is NOT the XUV- there are some issues in suspension geometry that still need sorting out. that is the reason we are still seeing so many test mules. TML want to iron these out before launch.
So the potential set of customers better stay away from the first lot huh? I seriously hope they do bring out a completely problem free Safari this time.

Slightly Off-topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
...Ford's with that puny 1lt engine would be another snail on highway.
A turbo charged ~120 bhp [from various forums] engine which gets entire torque @ 1500 rpm makes Ecosport a snail? Knowing how Ford tunes their engines, I would NOT be surprised to see a sub 12s 0-100 timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
..I do not remember a diesel Ecosport being mentioned in the Auto Expo. Could you please refresh my memory as to which diesel engine option would be available in this vehicle?
1.5L - 90 PS diesel engine doing duty in the new Fiesta as far as information in the net goes!
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 27th April 2012, 21:22   #612
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Got an update from my source in TML- per him, the reason for the delay of the Storme is NOT the XUV- there are some issues in suspension geometry that still need sorting out. that is the reason we are still seeing so many test mules. TML want to iron these out before launch.

As always, he had no idea of pricing or positioning since he is an ERC guy
Better stay away from this vehicle for atleast a year or so. The field reports from the first batch /report will definite help to serious potential buyers.
I am sure there will be tyre issues arising due to this.. O, c'mon once give a better product tata
Rahulk76 is offline  
Old 27th April 2012, 21:40   #613
Newbie
 
SunnyPaaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gurgaon, Amritsar
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2012 at 12:09.
SunnyPaaji is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th April 2012, 10:57   #614
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Got an update from my source in TML- per him, the reason for the delay of the Storme is NOT the XUV- there are some issues in suspension geometry that still need sorting out. that is the reason we are still seeing so many test mules. TML want to iron these out before launch.
Confirmed. I heard exactly the same thing post the Auto Expo in January. From someone connected closely to the ARAI.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 12:33   #615
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,296
Thanked: 897 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Suspension has been known to be achilles heel of current as well as older generation Safari's..
A little OT:

A close friend of mine owns a 2.2 Safari, and I own a Scorpio. I have done 2 long trips [1000 kms +] in his vehicle and numerous short trips. These trips have been as a passenger, both in the front and middle seat. Compared to my Scorpio, the ride comfort in Safari was positively PLUSH!!

Hence, I am very curious when you say the suspension is the Achilles heel of the Safari, it is with respect to what? Ride quality, longevity or something else?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 28th April 2012 at 12:35.
comfortablynumb is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme) g_prajeesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 29th August 2016 16:13
Wheelosphere at The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo 2010 udayjani The Indian Car Scene 3 10th October 2010 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks