Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2012, 12:44   #661
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Had taken a TD of the Ertiga Zdi.
Exterior:
1. Size: Really wouldn't compare this car to the likes of Innova/Xylo. Very compact dimensions. Imposing stance of proper MPV is absent.
2. Looks: Side profile is Very attractive and balanced. Front and Rear is relatively simple.
3 Interior: Two Tone interior looks Plush. Fabric has a striated design. Looks Nice. Beige Carpets can get soiled. Tall Boy Stance. Very Easy to Ingress. dont have to climb in.
4. Front Seats: As with the swift are very good. At 6" & heavy built i am easily able to find a good driving position.
5 Middle Seats: My Favourite Spot: Excellent Legroom. Slides back for limo like space.
6 Last Row: Though access is not easy, once you are in the seats its ok. Kids would would be happy. Has side arm support and cup holders.
7. Test Drive: Low end Torque seems to be improved from the SX4. Pulls off effortlessly from low rpm. NVH seemed bit higher than SX4 but still ok.
8. Rear A/C: Rear A/c cooled immediately. The Front Vents took a bit longer. I was quite puzzled? Others who have driven pls comment.
9. Ride& Handling: Excellent Pliant Ride easily the best in current Maruti Line up. No Thrashy tendency ride as in earlier swift/sx4. Middle Row is the place to be in this car. Driving feels like a Ritz. with bearable roll.
10. The Average FE reading on the TD car was 16.3. Decent I suppose.

The TD was done with 4 on board. Adding 2 kids on the last bench shouldn't upset any of the above.
sureshkishore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 12:46   #662
Senior - BHPian

One point i like to mention is, Ertiga will be much cheaper to maintain than Innova. With small engines like K series & India engine Multi jet for Diesel, the maintenance cost will be much less than of Innova. May be less than half Plus its a Maruti, so service will be available everywhere & parts availability will be good. So people will prefer Ertiga here.

IMO, no point in comparing it with Innova or Xylo. Both are in different segment. But Maruti will eat shares from both for sure. Also it will win more personal buyers with Lxi variant specially in tier II & III cities.

Only negative i see is loads of Taxi driver buys this car & make it a Taxi image. That may play a spoilsport with cars image as a LUV
Old 13th April 2012, 13:03   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
It looks like there is quite a merit in Sudhir's comments that;

"its an average 5 -seater and not-so-good 7 seater".

The Middle row legroom almost cuts by more than 1/3rd when one reclines the last row seats (probably due to height of bench seat). Picked both the pictures from Ertiga Brochure. See how much of rear-door Speakers are covered by middle row seats in both the pictures to get an idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
Now if the third row was pushed back like the XUV with no space and it made sure that the third row get more space and folds down without pushing the middle row in front. Would that be better. i think so. but some many people want that space.

now if the legroom is less that dzrie after 3rd row down. we either use leg space or big boot we would have choose. would be first in its class, to be what i call half MUV.

(...)Best value for money for 4 + 2 who want refined (not xylo, sumo ) small, easy, a maruti. for others 2 extra kid seat for 2 lakhs. not as good as innova etc..
I think this is going to be the real deal breaker for me for the Ertiga. I need more boot space and I would intend to keep the third row seats folded down for it at all times, unless occasionally needing to add in-laws. Now if this means such reduced second row space, this car has quite lost its meaning. Every time I need to put stuff in the boot, I (or my wife) cannot be bothered to keep folding / unfolding the third row for comfort in the second row. I may as well stick with the Jazz, which will give more FE and is overall cheaper as well.

Last edited by noopster : 13th April 2012 at 14:59. Reason: Please don't quote large posts in their entirety. Thanks!
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 13:08   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Only negative i see is loads of Taxi driver buys this car & make it a Taxi image. That may play a spoilsport with cars image as a LUV
This has happened even with the Innova but still it is a favourite MUV for individuals. Hope Ertiga does'nt go the Logan way in becoming a taxi vehicle.
Old 13th April 2012, 13:21   #665
BHPian

Quote:
One point i like to mention is, Ertiga will be much cheaper to maintain than Innova. With small engines like K series & India engine Multi jet for Diesel, the maintenance cost will be much less than of Innova. May be less than half
Nope. Toyota's are far cheaper to maintain than Maruti's.

Quote:
No. Taxi drivers would rather pick Xylo or Innova over Ertiga and hence private owners can happily buy Ertiga without ever worrying about taxi-image.

My thought on Ertiga-
A seriously great product from Maruti for people who want a soccer mom's van. Just picture the scene below. So lovely

Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012-vankids.jpg

Of course, it's not for those petrolheads who want Lancers or Fiestas. Their dislike for Ertiga is understandable. But there are so many people like me who love practical city cars. Ertiga is VFM for such people. Just see yourself! Ertiga costs whole one lac cheaper than Honda City!
DevilsCry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 13:35   #666
BHPian

Ok Guys, here is a Test Drive report of the Ertiga ZDi. Before I get into the details, in my opinion, this is going to be a hit.

External Appearance: While this may not win any design awards, the Ertiga is definitely pleasing to the eye. In fact I feel, this design will appeal to most people. The overall size is definitely smaller than Innova, while still packaging space in the inside very well. The front has a lot like Ritz, while the rear is plane but nice to the eye. The rear door is quite big enabling easy ingress and egress to the third row. The tail lights could have a little more Jazzy though still appears elegant and minimalistic.

Interiors: I think Maruti has done a wonderful job of packing so much space in a compact car which is smaller than an Innova or a Xylo. The middle row is the place to be in. There is significant space for 2 adults with very good leg room. I am 5 ft 10 Inches and with the front seat adjusted for my driving position, I could get very good leg space in the middle row. Now for the question on everybody's mind, the space in the last row. With the same adjustment of front seat, I could get good leg room in the 3rd row, without compromising the middle row space. As per my setting, for a person of my height, there is good leg room in the front, middle and last row. I give a big thumbs up on leg room across the 3 rows. The process of getting into the last row is pretty easy. Just flick a lever in the middle row to bend the back rest, move the seat on the rail, and walk in (a little difficult for tall people) to the last row. Very neat.

Now the other significant point is the space in the middle row when the last row is folded. The middle row needs to be pulled towards the front row by around 10 mm (not sure as I din't measure). Now when I sat in the middle row (Same position of Driver seat), I could sit comfortable without being inconvenient on the leg space. So, guys for an average Indian, the last row folding is not a deal breaker on the middle row seat leg space.

What is a compromise is the width in the middle row. It is just the same width as a ritz or a swift, which means 3 people in the middle row is not comfortable, definitely not for a long drive. The last row is comfortable for 2 adults. This car is ideal for 6 Adults or 5 adults and 2 small Kids.

The interior quality is better than SX4. The dashboard is the same as Swift albeit light brown and Beige being the colors used. This gives the sense of space which is nice. What I personally did not like is theis lot of beige colored steering wheel. Really odd. I guess one needs to get a steering cover in Black and that would be ok. There are lots of storage spaces in the front, Bottle holders in the doors as well as cup holders in the last row. The music system is the same as on the Swift Z version and is quite impressive with 2 woofers in the Z version. The same MID as of Swift continues here.

The middle row gets a Blower, which in my drive felt very effective for the last row as well. However I cannot comment on the AC aspect as the weather was not very hot when I drove, but it is pretty decent even for the last row passengers. I think the only disappointment is the lack of boot space with 3rd row up. One can just store a couple of shopping bags or small sized suitacases, definitely less compared to Innova, but as good/better than XUV or Xylo. If one needs to take a lot of luggage, a roof rail needs to be fitted, else you would be disappointed.

The Drive: Now for the most important part, the drive. I test drove the ZDi version with 4 people including me (Above average sized adults) on board. The engine is a little sluggish upto around 2K RPM, though ok for city conditions. Once the turbo kicks in there is a noticeable surge ahead, though not in the league of the Swift. Gear shifting is very slick with short gear throws. The vehicle picks up speed quite well. I could take the vehicle upto highway speeds quite easily.

At this speed, the car behaved quite well and was stable on slightly curved stretches as well. The car is definitely good in terms of handling for a compact MPV. The steering feedback is impressive, though after 120Kmph, I felt a little vague. I drive an SX4, whose steering gets shaky after 120KMPH, while Ertiga I felt was better than Sx4 at that speed. The ride quality is impressive, I guess in line with the new swift whose ride quality has improved tremendoulsy. There were a lot of Potholes I drove on deliberately, but very little vibrations into the cabin.

What was a little disconcerting was the engine noise into the cabin at higer speeds. Once could hear a gruff roar at aorund 3K RPM (I tested this without the music and AC). However with music and AC one can not hear the engine noise very much.

The driving position is very much car like and women drivers will love the ease with which they can drive this car. The steering feels very easy to handle at low speeds within city and manouvering is very easy.

Mileage claimed for diesel is around 20KMPL and this could translate to around 15KMPL in real world conditions which is damn impressive and will be another USP of this vehicle.

Overall I feel this is a great package from Maruti at attractive price. This will appeal to families who want that additional row of space for the occasional trips with their parents and kids, while being extremely easy and compact to drive during normal routine office drives. It can be driven by the lady of the house as easily as driving a Dzire or any other sedan and this along with the good price, probably a good mileage, I believe will be the USP of this car.

Last edited by noopster : 13th April 2012 at 15:22. Reason: Please do not refer to high speeds achieved on public roads. Thanks!
nurni76 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 13:47   #667
BHPian

Quote:
One point i like to mention is, Ertiga will be much cheaper to maintain than Innova.
I won't agree with you here, I have Innova with me from last 3.5 yrs and man believe me I have never incurred any extra cost in 61K km so far. 10K service is not more than 5.5 K ever. Maruti can't beat Toyota on Maint cost.
Old 13th April 2012, 13:55   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
A seriously great product from Maruti for people who want a soccer mom's van. Just picture the scene below. So lovely

Of course, it's not for those petrolheads who want Lancers or Fiestas. Their dislike for Ertiga is understandable. But there are so many people like me who love practical city cars. Ertiga is VFM for such people. Just see yourself! Ertiga costs whole one lac cheaper than Honda City!
I just love the way you put it. Fiesta/Lancer Lovers may call the Ertiga a stretched hatch with extra seats.

May be I am getting older, nowadays I am developing a strong liking for Practical Cars.

For others look elsewhere.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 13th April 2012 at 14:00.
Old 13th April 2012, 14:19   #669
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Ok Guys, here is a Test Drive report of the Ertiga ZDi. Before I get into the details, in my opinion, this is going to be a hit.

External Appearance: ...

Interiors: ...
Now the other significant point is the space in the middle row when the last row is folded. The middle row needs to be pulled towards the front row by around 10 mm (not sure as I din't measure).

Overall I feel this is a great package from Maruti at attractive price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Most comments are based on heresy rather than actual experience of even seeing an Ertiga :-).
Just experienced Ertiga inside out. The space is adequate and I, an adult of 5'6" sat alongwith my 2 sons (10.5 & 6 year old) and did not feel cramped in the third row even after sliding middle row half backwards.

The last row has removable head rest. After folding the seat (sans head rests), middle seat can still be slid by around 150mm liberating leg space. The sliding mechanism is quite easy just like that of front seats. The backrest can also be reclined similarly.
@ nurni76,

Good update. Thanks!

Refer the post from ajay0612 quoted above saying "After folding the rear seat (sans head rests), middle seat can still be slid by around 150mm"

I understand the total play (horizontal) for the middle row seats is 240 mm (24 cms). Which means, one loses around 90 mm (240-150), with the rear seat folded.

You mentioned "The middle row needs to be pulled towards the front row by around 10 mm (not sure as I din't measure)."

I presume you are saying 10 cms (9-10 cms) which is inline with what ajay0612 is saying "around 90 mm" (9 cms).

All,

Initially when I read few posts here yesterday, that this (rear seat fold eating into middle row space) could possibly be a deal breaker and a design flaw, going by the above, it doesn't seem to be that bad after all!

Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 14:23   #670
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just Saw the car in the flesh at Varun Motors, Nanakramguda.

All the initial euphoria is gone down now. You will be hard-pressed to find any space inside. Maruti might call it LUV but you will be doing injustice to your loved ones if you think you can pull it off by carrying them in Ertiga. The middle row is strictly for 2 average size adults. The less said about the third row the better.

Actually one more person who had come down to see Ertiga was saying he was planning to remove the entire third row so that it can free enough space in the middle row and you would get some luggage space. In fact the bench width in the second row is also less when compared to Swift IMHO.

It might be good from driving point of view as it is based on Swift platform but there certainly isn’t any LIFE in this LUV. It might do well with the introductory offer and then will go down the lines of SX4.

Another missed opportunity for Maruti Suzuki I feel.

Cheers

Last edited by BheemBoy : 13th April 2012 at 14:25. Reason: removed HTML tags
Old 13th April 2012, 14:26   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
@ nurni76,

Good update. Thanks!

Refer the post from ajay0612 quoted above saying "After folding the rear seat (sans head rests), middle seat can still be slid by around 150mm"

I understand the total play (horizontal) for the middle row seats is 240 mm (24 cms). Which means, one loses around 90 mm (240-150), with the rear seat folded.

You mentioned "The middle row needs to be pulled towards the front row by around 10 mm (not sure as I din't measure)."

I presume you are saying 10 cms (9-10 cms) which is inline with what ajay0612 is saying "around 90 mm" (9 cms).

All,

Initially when I read few posts here yesterday, that this (rear seat fold eating into middle row space) could possibly be a deal breaker and a design flaw, going by the above, it doesn't seem to be that bad after all!

Thanks,
C_
Hi Coolman, thanks for pointing out. Yes I meant 10cm. Sorry for the error. Yes I advise everyone to personally check the car in flesh before making sweeping comments on the space. I feel for an avg sized individual, the last row too is comfortable in terms of leg space.
Old 13th April 2012, 15:36   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I think this is going to be the real deal breaker for me for the Ertiga. I need more boot space and I would intend to keep the third row seats folded down for it at all times, unless occasionally needing to add in-laws. Now if this means such reduced second row space, this car has quite lost its meaning. Every time I need to put stuff in the boot, I (or my wife) cannot be bothered to keep folding / unfolding the third row for comfort in the second row. I may as well stick with the Jazz, which will give more FE and is overall cheaper as well.
Your solution of picking Jazz over Ertiga seems quite practical but has got just one problem which honda can't find a solution, at least right now.... that is DIESEL ENGINE.
Old 13th April 2012, 15:49   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Your solution of picking Jazz over Ertiga seems quite practical but has got just one problem which honda can't find a solution, at least right now.... that is DIESEL ENGINE.
My monthly driving is nothing much - all short distance - about 300-400 km/month, but car is necessary. So IMO diesel is not for me. I will anyway be looking at petrol Ertiga only.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 13th April 2012 at 15:51.
Old 13th April 2012, 16:06   #674
BHPian

Just did a TD of the Ertiga - great VFM !

1. Waiting Period less than 1 month for the diesel as of today !
2. Elegant dashboard in two tone of brown and beige
3. ABS standard in all diesel models from Ldi onwards - at least according to the brochure I was handed
4. Great middle seat knee room, with the sliding mechanism
5. Very silent compared to my Dzire Vdi (old)
6. Excellent driver seat height
7. Very car-like to drive
8. Looks like a big brother to Jazz - which aint such a bad thing !

Dislikes
------

1. Clearly lacks the punch of the earlier gen Swift D and Dzire D
2. Pronounced lack of shoulder room - felt very gay sitting on the middle seat with two oversized smelly men
3. Tyres lost grip pretty fast - but then Gurgaon Faridabad pahari with its sweeping curves and undulations is always a test at high speeds !
4. Bouncy ! - if the vertical movement was noticeable with 5 adults in the car, imagine what it would be when I drive alone ?
5. Long gear throws compared to Swift - this actually contradicts with another member's viewpoint, so need to check this again
6. Horrible tail-lights - which seem design failures as well considering the larger portion of it extends to the side of the vehicle instead of the rear.

All in all , this is the most car-like of all MUV's out there and perfect for any gentleman who has contributed significantly to the population boom. For those of you who have a chauffeur for weekdays and like to drive during weekends, this might just end up as the most practical and VFM choice under 10L OTR.
JishD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 16:30   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post

Dislikes
------

3. Tyres lost grip pretty fast - but then Gurgaon Faridabad pahari with its sweeping curves and undulations is always a test at high speeds !
4. Bouncy ! - if the vertical movement was noticeable with 5 adults in the car, imagine what it would be when I drive alone ?
above 2 could be related to each other. overinflated tires.
Closed Thread