Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 12:56   #841
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,254
Thanked: 1,421 Times
Smile Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
AC not working in surprising. Swift has a fantastic AC. In peak summers I find myself choosing the Swift over my Vento, climatronic be damned
Maybe, Maruti used the same capacity compressor used on Swift for the bigger interiors of Ertiga? ( with a higher proportion of glass area as well ). I hope, they haven't made such a silly mistake. My friend was planning to book it. But @AWD's comments on the AC has forced us to check the effectiveness of the AC for ourselves. And April indeed is the best month to check the performance of the AC. Will post my review on the AC after I try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Can anyone know about the Kerb Weight of Ertiga Petrol and Diesel. The Ertiga site has information only on the Vehicle Gross Weight and not the Kerb Weight. Don't know why Maruti is shied to list this information . Or am I missing this in the site?
Weird that Maruti didn't mention about the kerb weight.
As per Maruti Ertiga, Review, Price, Maruti Cars India, Comparison, Images, Variants , Ertiga Petrol has a kerb weight of 1160 kgs. So, the diesel variant should be somewhere around 1230 kgs.
That means that Ertiga is 25% lighter than the Innova and
with full load, the Ertiga would be lighter than the Innova by around 15%

Even though, the Ertiga Diesel seems to have the torque ( 200 Nm ) to pull the weight, what's interesting to see is its torque curve. The Innova Diesel has an amazingly flat torque curve which runs into peak mode from 1400 rpm and continues with that torque till 3000 plus rpms! So, if the Ertiga is able to deliver atleast 170 Nm of torque from 1400 rpms to 3000 plus rpms, it should offer good lugging ability like in the case of the Innova.

PS: I'm trying to source the torque curve for the 90 PS DDiS engine. If anyone has it, please share it here.

Last edited by amalji : 18th April 2012 at 12:59.
amalji is offline  
Old 18th April 2012, 13:20   #842
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,630
Thanked: 1,883 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Source: 10,000 Ertiga MPV bookings in 5 Days: That’s Brand Maruti Suzuki for you! | IndianCarsBikes.in

"Maruti Suzuki already garnering 10,000 bookings in just 5 days of this all-new productís launch in the Indian car market."
romeomidhun is online now  
Old 18th April 2012, 13:27   #843
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 176
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Anyone checked the A.C. effectiveness in hot conditions? The vehicles I TD'ed did not cool the cabin effectively. Either the large glass area or smaller compressor for a big vehicle could be responsible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Even though, the Ertiga Diesel seems to have the torque ( 200 Nm ) to pull the weight, what's interesting to see is its torque curve. The Innova Diesel has an amazingly flat torque curve which runs into peak mode from 1400 rpm and continues with that torque till 3000 plus rpms! So, if the Ertiga is able to deliver atleast 170 Nm of torque from 1400 rpms to 3000 plus rpms, it should offer good lugging ability like in the case of the Innova.
AWD : I found the A.C. just good enough and effective when I test drove. Its similar to the one you see on Manza or Swift. The middle row also works good enough. It may not be a chiller though and need to check it out in places like Delhi

Amalji: I had about 6 people when I did the TD and the lugging capability of Ertiga is quite good. Even I was surprised given that it is a 90 BHP engine
power ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 13:30   #844
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Maybe, Maruti used the same capacity compressor used on Swift for the bigger interiors of Ertiga? ( with a higher proportion of glass area as well ). I hope, they haven't made such a silly mistake. My friend was planning to book it. But @AWD's comments on the AC has forced us to check the effectiveness of the AC for ourselves. And April indeed is the best month to check the performance of the AC. Will post my review on the AC after I try it out.
Looks like the timing of the launch couldn't have been more spot-on, eh?!

I agree, the Swift has a very effective AC. That said, the glass area and the cabin-space in the Ertiga is so much more in comparison. The additional bowers may compensate, but how much?

I own a Jazz and the cabin-space/glass area is comparable to the Ertiga's. The AC in the Jazz could have been more effective, IMO. Probably not as effective as the Swift, I suppose.

Good tints from some reputed brands would help negate the effect a tad, but in our Summers, we ought to have better ACs. Companies like Honda should learn from Tata, on how to make cars that are more suited to Indian driving conditions. Little things like cabin-cooling and a reasonably comfortable ride is expected by almost every customer in India.

Hope Maruti has got it right with the Ertiga.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th April 2012 at 13:31.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 13:40   #845
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,297
Thanked: 664 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
AWD : I found the A.C. just good enough and effective when I test drove. Its similar to the one you see on Manza or Swift. The middle row also works good enough. It may not be a chiller though and need to check it out in places like Delhi

Amalji: I had about 6 people when I did the TD and the lugging capability of Ertiga is quite good. Even I was surprised given that it is a 90 BHP engine
Thanks for the clarification on the pulling ability of the car. That along with how the suspension performs on poor roads when loaded were concerns. Does it bottom out easily (F/R)?

Delhi is approximately the same temperature as Bangalore at this time! Strangely hot weather for Bangalore, this year. Anyway, if the AC was ok for now, I don't think Bangaloreans should have a problem. Can still check it at the peak of summer in Delhi, but that would mean waiting
VeluM is offline  
Old 18th April 2012, 13:54   #846
BHPian
 
vinodv001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 86
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Those four vents for the rear seats of Ertiga are NOT just blowers , a separate cooling coil can be clearly seen when you look at them from the front side.


Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Oops sorry. I meant a separate cooling coil. Dont know why I wrote compressor!

Innova has a separate cooling coil for the rear vents unlike the Eritga's rear vents, which is more like an "exhaust fan".
vinodv001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 14:03   #847
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 176
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Ertiga Test Drive - Also, is this the end of Tata Motors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I seriosly do not think Ertiga will have very little effect on Toyota or Tata. Toyota introduced the Innova Facelift anticipating the Ertiga. It may affect the sale of other existing Maruti vehicles. Peaple who may consider Swift or Dezire for family use, will be forced to take a look at Ertiga. Tata may not be able to increase its market share, but sure will continue to maintain its current market share as more and more cabbies switch to TM cars. Also some point TM will introduce a competing product. Venture was a good attempt, but not able to make the expected impact, Things would have been different if it was based on Manza instead of ACE, i guess.
Curious, What is the ground clearance of Ertiga? How does it perform on our rural roads?
The point here is why Innova over Ertiga ? As I said Innova V retails at 16.3 lacs on road Bangalore and Ertiga at 10.5 lacs on road bangalore. A whooping 60% saving !!
Now coming to the reliability badge which everybody quotes for Toyota. I want to understand a little more from Innova owners. I have had Maruti 800, have Safari and Manza now. Total I have driven 1.5 lacs kms on these vehicles. During this 1.5 lacs kms forget break down I have not even had a single puncture and have ever been stranded on the road. With regular scheduled oil change and service no car is unreliable nowadays I guess to leave you stranded on road. so my 3 lac maruti 800, 6 lac Manza and 9 lac Safari have all done their job. So why is Innova considered so reliable ? Are all toyotas sold have only oil and Filter change until 1 lakh kms ? If yes, I agree. Innova owners please share your thoughts.
The only replacements I have had on my safari are suspension overhaul and clutch at around 60K kms. The total damage for these together have been around 25 K Rs. Still this is ok compared to the huge initial cost of Innova. Imagine paying 6 lakhs more, which at a conservative 8% bank interest will fetch you around 4000 Rs every month. so You have 48000 Rs to replace parts every year
Coming back to Ertiga, so why not ? unless we say Maruti has lesser reliability than Toyota or lesser resale
power ranger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 14:38   #848
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
the Swift has a very effective AC. That said, the glass area and the cabin-space in the Ertiga is so much more in comparison. The additional bowers may compensate, but how much
I guess Ertiga must be using SX4's A.C. unit but Im unaware if difference between SX4 & Swift's A.C. Its not peak summer up North as yet, May-June test the hell out of A.C. performance. I tried the vehicles in Punjab & during my 45 mins. stint, the A.C. did not cool, I still was feeling the heat even in the 45th. minute.

Surprisingly the S.E. admitted that many consumers who test drove complained of the same problem & that the Demo vehicle had some problem with the A.C. He further maintained that A.C. in new vehicles delivered to consumers was Ok. I did not believe him because the demo vehicle was a new Ertiga with only 3-400 kms. on board.

Also did someone notice how close the radiator, coil, etc. are to the bumper in the front...? A small front end shunt could be an expensive affair!

Last edited by AWD : 18th April 2012 at 14:39.
AWD is offline  
Old 18th April 2012, 14:58   #849
BHPian
 
gkrishn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 584
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
Those four vents for the rear seats of Ertiga are NOT just blowers , a separate cooling coil can be clearly seen when you look at them from the front side.
i do believe that it is just more than a blower. the Sales guys are useless, with no clue about this. Air flowing out of those vents are significantly cooler than the air that was supposedly sucked in.
I just put my hand on the back and on the front of that blower.
What ever it is, we need to set that at min 2, to get a good cooling for the rear seat, for a bangalore 11 am weather. Out side temp was shown as 36.
gkrishn is offline  
Old 18th April 2012, 15:23   #850
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
Those four vents for the rear seats of Ertiga are NOT just blowers , a separate cooling coil can be clearly seen when you look at them from the front side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
i do believe that it is just more than a blower. the Sales guys are useless, with no clue about this. Air flowing out of those vents are significantly cooler than the air that was supposedly sucked in.
I just put my hand on the back and on the front of that blower.
What ever it is, we need to set that at min 2, to get a good cooling for the rear seat, for a bangalore 11 am weather. Out side temp was shown as 36.
If that is the case, we need more info on this. I had enquired with the sales executive as why it has vents in the front & infact he told me that it is just a blower without a cooling coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
so my 3 lac maruti 800, 6 lac Manza and 9 lac Safari have all done their job. So why is Innova considered so reliable ? Are all toyotas sold have only oil and Filter change until 1 lakh kms ? If yes, I agree. Innova owners please share your thoughts.
The only replacements I have had on my safari are suspension overhaul and clutch at around 60K kms. The total damage for these together have been around 25 K Rs. Still this is ok compared to the huge initial cost of Innova. Imagine paying 6 lakhs more, which at a conservative 8% bank interest will fetch you around 4000 Rs every month. so You have 48000 Rs to replace parts every year
Coming back to Ertiga, so why not ? unless we say Maruti has lesser reliability than Toyota or lesser resale
Very very good point.

Simple - the 'Toyota' tag and the reliability factor is overhyped. In the end, the Maruti will be much more economical than the Toyota. Yes, I have an Innova...
raj_5004 is offline  
Old 18th April 2012, 15:24   #851
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
Those four vents for the rear seats of Ertiga are NOT just blowers , a separate cooling coil can be clearly seen when you look at them from the front side.
Are you sure? This is good news, if true. Is there anyway you could confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
The point here is why Innova over Ertiga ?...

...Coming back to Ertiga, so why not ? unless we say Maruti has lesser reliability than Toyota or lesser resale
I'm forced to eat my words here. You have made fabulous points. I can safely say that I was wrong.

The Ertiga is a spacious car. You may not get Innova-like cruising ability or comfort, but it's a great car for regular city drives. Office goers who intend to car-pool on a regular basis would love the Ertiga. The 3rd row does not have the space you would want (I'm 6'2" and I struggled to get in, get out and feel even remotely comfortable in the 3rd row) but the 2nd row and front seats are very comfortable, and more than adequate for city drives. Even on the highway, a family of 5 would not have to struggle to feel comfortable. The Ertiga is quite accommodating.

This is how I'd look at it. If you are a family of 5 with the occasional 6th and 7th passenger and:

- If you drive 70% of the time on the highways and 30% in the city, the Innova makes more sense.

- If you are a city dweller who makes the one/annual drive on the highway, or even two, the Ertiga makes more sense.

Why:

1) smaller footprint
2) fuel-efficient engine
3) more than adequate space for city drives and the occasional long drives.

For the frequent-highway-driver with the large family, the Innova is worth the extra 5 lakhs. it's still the default option.

But for someone in the city, it doesn't make sense lugging all that weight around and having all that space. You'd rather save 5-6 lakhs, buy something that fits your needs perfectly. And the Ertiga is meant just for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

Also did someone notice how close the radiator, coil, etc. are to the bumper in the front...? A small front end shunt could be an expensive affair!
It's rather unfortunate, yes. Even the Ford Figo (on a completely unrelated note) has a bikini for a front bumper. Apologies.

EDIT:

Suddenly, spending 2 lakhs over a Swift doesn't seem like such a bad deal, when you look at the massive price difference between the top-end Ertiga and the top-end Innova. I know, I shouldn't be comparing them. But two 7-seaters worth considering. Hard to leave the comparisons out. *winks*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th April 2012 at 15:36.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 15:26   #852
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,468
Thanked: 19,375 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Are you sure? This is good news, if true. Is there anyway you could confirm?
Yes it's confirmed but for pictorial confirmation you will have to wait a little longer. There is a condenser and cooling coil.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 16:30   #853
BHPian
 
vinodv001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 86
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
If that is the case, we need more info on this. I had enquired with the sales executive as why it has vents in the front & infact he told me that it is just a blower without a cooling coil.

.
Many times we have observed that the sales execs are clueless about many features about the cras.

I have checked this yesterday evening after seeing your comment on this, and I could clearly see the coils inside the overhead unit. The vents in the front are used to draw air into the coil for cooling down.
vinodv001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 17:33   #854
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,306
Thanked: 1,730 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

What about road tax for this segment cars. Is it similar to a private car, in Kerala, in which case it would be 10% of value for cars costing above Rs 5Lacs. or would it be like the eight seater vehicles and payable quarterly or yearly.
rajeev k is offline  
Old 18th April 2012, 22:17   #855
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: Maruti Ertiga 7-Seater : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes it's confirmed but for pictorial confirmation you will have to wait a little longer. There is a condenser and cooling coil.
If this is true, it is good news. I was under the impression it is just a blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: 10,000 Ertiga MPV bookings in 5 Days: Thatís Brand Maruti Suzuki for you! | IndianCarsBikes.in

"Maruti Suzuki already garnering 10,000 bookings in just 5 days of this all-new productís launch in the Indian car market."
This is not so good news for me since I will have to wait now for my delivery. I think Maruti has made a bold statement as a market leader and created a new segment of Compact MPVs
nurni76 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scorpio 7 seater conversion to 8 seater Mohnish Modifications & Accessories 22 1st August 2015 21:36
For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi M35 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 21 9th January 2015 06:48
SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30 chevelle The Indian Car Scene 562 6th January 2012 20:40
Wheelosphere at The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo Ľ The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo 2010 udayjani The Indian Car Scene 3 10th October 2010 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks