Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 21:25   #16
BHPian
 
justwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 320
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Chevrolet is a company that brings in some products, they succeed, then suddenly there is a lull, and then there is another good one. THis is valid when I see the MPV. It looks good, carries good and sounds quite practical. If they are targetting the Innova, it isn't a bad choice either.

For Sail, what were they copying, Old european Fiesta hatch or the Punto from some angles. Only thing original is the BII..IG "+" sign of chevrolet.

Lets see how many hit the roads and how many of these hit roadblocks!
justwheels is offline  
Old 7th January 2012, 22:12   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,188
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Is it only me? The rear of the sail bears an uncanny resemblance to Punto?

Didn't strike a chord with me though.

The MPV is better looking, as someone said,pricing is key.


Overall, after Cruze and Beat, I was expecting something on those lines. Not really impressed with the design.
sachinj12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 09:14   #18
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

I hope that with some aggressive pricing the SAIL hatcback and the sedan(if there is one) could become the ETIOS for Toyota.

Please do bring a good diesel option and not the contraption on the BEAT.

"GM": Here is a clue for finding the engine option for this car: It was jointly developed by you and Fiat and has 1.3L displacement.
figo_mba is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 09:35   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 280
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

That is fairly understood, but the moot question is will they source it from Tata-Fiat or make it on their own?

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
"GM": Here is a clue for finding the engine option for this car: It was jointly developed by you and Fiat and has 1.3L displacement.
pradkumar is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 09:48   #20
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
That is fairly understood, but the moot question is will they source it from Tata-Fiat or make it on their own?

Pradeep
Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.

I mean to say that even though both the Aveo Sedan and the 1.3MJD engine has been in india for a long time now and almost everyone thought both of them would get "married" it did not happen (for some reason).
Good that GM desisted from putting the Tavera's tractor engine or that - 1cylinder in the Aveo but still GM should have taken a decision long ago.

I feel if GM were to invest in engines then they should have done that by now. If they are going to source from Fiat then even that they should have done even that by now.

having said this I have to say GM is not that old GM anymore and got more aggressive after the recession and bankruptcy.

Waiting for GMs next move in this segment.

Last edited by figo_mba : 8th January 2012 at 09:49.
figo_mba is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 09:50   #21
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,710
Thanked: 7,607 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Figo, although dated, looked much better when it was launched. Sail looks uninspiring. Did this by any chance came from the erstwhile Daewoo ?

Is there is a proper name for the Chevy MPV, or they are just going to call it an MPV?

No interior shots of either vehicles? Any concrete launch plans?

Last edited by SDP : 8th January 2012 at 09:52.
SDP is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 09:54   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 280
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Look at the way GM sourced engines from ICML for Tavera. They seem reluctant to plonk big money into engine making capacities when they are not sure. I feel that they will try to source it from Tata-Fiat than make their own. The other thing is the ambivalent govt. policy towards diiesel engines for private users. Even Hyundai is not investing in a diesel engine plant in India. Not only Hyundai, why even our desi Maruti went for sourced diesel engines instead of putting more money to expand diesel engine capacity. To sum up, everyone is sitting on the fence until govt. comes up with a clear policy.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.

I mean to say that even though both the Aveo Sedan and the 1.3MJD engine has been in india for a long time now and almost everyone thought both of them would get "married" it did not happen (for some reason).
Good that GM desisted from putting the Tavera's tractor engine or that - 1cylinder in the Aveo but still GM should have taken a decision long ago.

I feel if GM were to invest in engines then they should have done that by now. If they are going to source from Fiat then even that they should have done even that by now.

having said this I have to say GM is not that old GM anymore and got more aggressive after the recession and bankruptcy.

Waiting for GMs next move in this segment.

Last edited by pradkumar : 8th January 2012 at 09:56.
pradkumar is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 09:58   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,888 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Figo, although dated, looked much better when it was launched. Sail looks uninspiring. Did this by any chance came from the erstwhile Daewoo ?

Is there is a proper name for the Chevy MPV, or they are just going to call it an MPV?

No interior shots of either vehicles? Any concrete launch plans?
I don't think these are from Daewoo. Check the opening post. These cars are from GM's Chinese arm. I think these are cost-effective models for the so called emerging markets.
I was expecting better options like the Orlando MPV to get here instead of the China sourced cars.
vb-san is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 09:59   #24
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Look at the way GM sourced engines from ICML for Tavera. They seem reluctant to plonk big money into engine making capacities when they are not sure. I feel that they will try to source it from Tata-Fiat than make their own. The other thing is the ambivalent govt. policy towards diiesel engines for private users. Even Hyundai is not investing in a diesel engine plant in India. Not only Hyundai, when even our desi Maruti went for sourced diesel engines instead of putting more money to expand diesel engine capacity. To sum up, everyone is sitting on the fence until govt. comes up with a clear policy.

Pradeep
I think it is true that some of the automakers are sitting on the fence due to the uncertainty on govt policy.
But doesnt Maruti have a diesel engine where they manufacture the DDis Engines under license from Fiat (Manesar if I am not wrong)
Yes I agree they have also have a contract from Fiat to source engines in addition to the plant.

With the dismal numbers that Fiat is doing they could sell a few engines to GM too (no offense to Fiat fans)

Last edited by figo_mba : 8th January 2012 at 10:01.
figo_mba is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 10:08   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 280
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

For that matter, even GM makes their own 3-cylinder TDCI engines now, but will they invest more money to make 4 cylinder higher capacity engines? Let us wait and watch instead of all this conjecture

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I think it is true that some of the automakers are sitting on the fence due to the uncertainty on govt policy.
But doesnt Maruti have a diesel engine where they manufacture the DDis Engines under license from Fiat (Manesar if I am not wrong)
Yes I agree they have also have a contract from Fiat to source engines in addition to the plant.

With the dismal numbers that Fiat is doing they could sell a few engines to GM too (no offense to Fiat fans)
pradkumar is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 10:12   #26
BHPian
 
mi2n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 422
Thanked: 945 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Please do bring a good diesel option and not the contraption on the BEAT.
What's exactly wrong with the 1l diesel mill of the Beat? Is it just because its a 3 potter? Well, it sure shouldn't be plonked into premium hatches, but will Chevy market the Sail as a premium hatch. Even then, we do see 3 pot oil burners commanding a whooping premium in cars like the VW Polo. I feel the 1l multijet on the Beat is tailor made for a particular usage scenario and it fits the bill perfectly. Good low end with excellent FE, that's what we exactly expect from any entry/mid level city hatch.

About the ICML sourced engine for the BS-IV Tavera, I see no reason to not use it in the MPV. Economies of scale you see. Will definitely help in assuring a competitive price in this cut-throat market. Most users in this segment only care about robustness, cheap maintenance, FE and longevity (refer to Qualis/Innova). With the likes of Ertiga and the facelifted Xylo due soon, pricing will be the key to this MPVs success. The ICML Rhino engine is known to be robust, easy to maintain and long lasting.

Last edited by mi2n : 8th January 2012 at 10:23.
mi2n is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 11:44   #27
BHPian
 
jogidada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 54
Thanked: 15 Times
Wink Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

The design is surely going to age fast when the Sail is placed next to Beat in showrooms. Front looks like a clean uncluttered design, but the hatch looks like a chop off job. The position of the hatch lock seems to suggest that the number plate was originally planned to be placed in the hatch rather than the bumper? The production version might get the chrome treatment at the back.

Surprised that the display car doesn't have blacked out B pillars.
jogidada is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 13:17   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 1,497 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Sail's design looks very confused. The passenger windows are slanting down, but the roof stays high! Agree that it might as well be the next Aveo/Uva in terms of sale.

BTW I liked AVEO from the inside a lot. I am sure SAIL will take it a step further. Wish they did something better with the outside. Seeing Beat and Sail side by side will be like seeing grandpa and a fashionista grandkid standing side by side!
ani_meher is offline  
Old 8th January 2012, 21:04   #29
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
What's exactly wrong with the 1l diesel mill of the Beat? Is it just because its a 3 potter? Well, it sure shouldn't be plonked into premium hatches, but will Chevy market the Sail as a premium hatch. Even then, we do see 3 pot oil burners commanding a whooping premium in cars like the VW Polo. I feel the 1l multijet on the Beat is tailor made for a particular usage scenario and it fits the bill perfectly. Good low end with excellent FE, that's what we exactly expect from any entry/mid level city hatch.

About the ICML sourced engine for the BS-IV Tavera, I see no reason to not use it in the MPV. Economies of scale you see. Will definitely help in assuring a competitive price in this cut-throat market. Most users in this segment only care about robustness, cheap maintenance, FE and longevity (refer to Qualis/Innova). With the likes of Ertiga and the facelifted Xylo due soon, pricing will be the key to this MPVs success. The ICML Rhino engine is known to be robust, easy to maintain and long lasting.
To start with I think the power is a bit less for the TCDi engine in Beat. Even the sales guys says that the engine produces 62.5bhp which is the bhp per liter(specific output).
OK lets leave it cos as you said it is an ENTRY level car. Again as you have said it should not come in a higher segment sedan.

I think I was quoted out of context . :(

My thought was that GM would introduce SAIL hatchback and sedan with the same engine thereby have economies of scale and create a etios like success for toyota. Now the beat diesel engine might be ok for the hatch but not ok for the sedan and this is the reason why I said that they bring a good diesel option.

I guess you own a beat diesel from your quotes.
Please do not feel that I am saying it is a bad car or has a bad engine.
Enjoy driving.
figo_mba is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 12:16   #30
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

I don't quite agree with the people commenting on the dated looks of this car. Surely, GM had better options when it came to selecting a better looking car for Indian market as a premium hatchback with the sonic or the cruze hatch. However, Indian market and style haven't had a perfect co-relation. You have a number of well priced cars with look quite ordinary( popular opinion) and still are selling good number. With no offence to any owners the list begins with Wagon R, Figo ( which to me looks quite outdated) and to an extent Etios. You can never predict how the market will respond to the product unless the pricing is out which is the key differentiation in this market along with a VFM tag which again comes in relation with price. I agree that GM could have got some other car but they made do a Etios and Liva here but considering the expertise of GM in marketing and PR, the product seems to have a bleak future.
Mr.Beat is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumour: Chevrolet Enjoy MPV to be discontinued in India sidindica The Indian Car Scene 16 23rd June 2016 14:39
Chevrolet launches updated Sail hatchback & sedan trek The Indian Car Scene 24 27th September 2014 13:14
Rumour: General Motors working on sub-4 meter Chevrolet Enjoy compact MPV JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 5 8th June 2013 23:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks