Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th March 2006, 17:44   #61
Joz
BHPian

Met a friend yesterday who is waiting for his Scorpio to be delivered. Apparently, the dealer said the new Scorpio will be out in 2 weeks and he can switch to the new version if he wants to.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 17:59   #62
BHPian

guys, will it be possible to upgrade rear suspension from the existing leaf spring to the to be launched coil spring ones....
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 20:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
guys, will it be possible to upgrade rear suspension from the existing leaf spring to the to be launched coil spring ones....
Doubt if that will be possible. Why not sell the old Scorpio and buy a new one. You should not lose to much on resale as they do not depreciate too badly.

If Mahindra and Lotus have got things right this could be the nail in the coffin for the Safari and also prompt Tata to launch a new generation Safari. If the Toyota SUV is launched at the mooted 12lakh then who will buy a Safari. The low end buyers will go for the top end Scorpio and the top end Safari buyers might as well buy the Toyota.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 21:55   #64
Senior - BHPian

Butttttttttttt Toyotas SUV is not going to make it here soon. Sad but true. There are a few people who spend 14Lacs and buy a Safari i saw on VX version last night.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 22:27   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Butttttttttttt Toyotas SUV is not going to make it here soon. Sad but true. There are a few people who spend 14Lacs and buy a Safari i saw on VX version last night.
Wow people seriously pay that much for a Safari. I thought people would that much moola would be tempted to stretch for a base model Endevour or Hyundai Tuscon.

It is a big mistake on Toyotas part to delay the launch of the new SUV. I know a few people who would jump at the chance to buy one.
Old 9th March 2006, 22:40   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
maybe 14l is for the vx ( fully loaded with dvd etc) + 4 wheel drive
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 23:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
maybe 14l is for the vx ( fully loaded with dvd etc) + 4 wheel drive
Yeah i could see the Rear View Cam but still its ghastly overpriced
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 23:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

no way is toyota suv gonna be 12lakhs.

Their strategy wont allow them to. The price will be atleast 14-15.

Tata safari is a good and successful product. IT will still exist for sometime now. the new scorpio while good still remains a cheaper option to safari. What if someone wants an suv for 10lacs?
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 01:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
no way is toyota suv gonna be 12lakhs.

Their strategy wont allow them to. The price will be atleast 14-15.

Tata safari is a good and successful product. IT will still exist for sometime now. the new scorpio while good still remains a cheaper option to safari. What if someone wants an suv for 10lacs?
I know it is succesfull but I have never thought it was a good product (that is based on my experience of the early underpowered diesel versions, I have not driven a DICOR so maybe they have improved things since then), the success was largely down to no real competition. But people are moving away from it. I remember several years ago it was the car to buy for most NRI in Punjab. Nowadays they are not even looking at the Safari.

Even if the Toyota is 14 lakh who will buy a top end Safari ? I know I would go for the Toyota.

At the other end someone looking for a base model Safari would get better vlaue for money going for the middle to top end CRDE Scorpio.
Old 10th March 2006, 10:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz
Met a friend yesterday who is waiting for his Scorpio to be delivered. Apparently, the dealer said the new Scorpio will be out in 2 weeks and he can switch to the new version if he wants to.
The M&M strategy beats me! Here they are with a revamped product yet they STILL do not plonk in the ABS, EBD or 4WD!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 11:04   #71
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note: Please stick to the topic guys. Start a new thread to discuss delivery of the new Toyota or any other SUV. This topic is on the Scorpio.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 11:55   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
The M&M strategy beats me! Here they are with a revamped product yet they STILL do not plonk in the ABS, EBD or 4WD!
Suman nowadays manufacturers are much more foresighted. They know how fast the market is improving. What was possible even two years back is not so anymore. Now M&M may very well be having a plan to do just what you want. However they also know that with their pricing they target a sector that craves for a SUV at an affordable price. They are also comfortable because they do not have much competition in this bracket (and the numbers they are doing proves that). So they are probably just letting it ride till they have perfected the higher end technology. That probably involves feedback from lakhs of kms clocked by the prototype vehicles. They need to tie up all the loose ends.

Afterall once they introduce those features on a top end Scorpio the pricing will start hitting the 10+ bracket where the competition is tougher. They can not afford to come out with a half baked product. Also they may need to make the SUV a little different visually as the segment that buys a 11-12lac vehicle won't like it if the SUV looks exactly the same as a "lowly" 7lac vehicle.

So I think ultimately Scorpio may have all those features that we want it to have but it may take some time.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 12:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
So I think ultimately Scorpio may have all those features that we want it to have but it may take some time.
Zappo, I had heard that one of the reasons for this upgrade was that they wanted to correct some of the deficiencies that customers had pointed out. Thats why I thought that ABS-EBD would be high on their priority (may only increase the price by around 25k or so) since braking from high speeds is quite an experience in the Scorpio from what I've heard. Same for 4WD which they only offer on the Petrol version which makes no sense to me as there would be a lot of takers for this on the CRDe model.....so, how much more time??! Only they would know I guess.
Old 10th March 2006, 15:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Same for 4WD which they only offer on the Petrol version which makes no sense to me as there would be a lot of takers for this on the CRDe model.....so, how much more time??! Only they would know I guess.
With current handling situation its good that they don't give 4WD.

Guys, M&M people must be knowing something more than we guys do as why they haven't added ABS/EBD. May be it will be keeping car under 10L thing as wonderfully put by Zappo.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 16:14   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
With current handling situation its good that they don't give 4WD.
The issue is with the handling at high speeds and braking down from high speeds; I haven't heard that handling is an issue at lower speeds; terrain requiring 4WD would not permit high speeds in any case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Guys, M&M people must be knowing something more than we guys do as why they haven't added ABS/EBD. May be it will be keeping car under 10L thing as wonderfully put by Zappo.
I'm sure but I just would like to know what it is.....they could always offer the option on a higher end model; besides, if they are badging it as SUV, its the least they could do? I mean, all SUVs come with ABS & Airbags as standard - I can understand perhaps the airbags being left out because of the cost factor but ABS/EBD is not that expensive.

Maybe its the availability of the kits for all you know......I know Ford was having a problem with the Fiesta ABS models due to scarcity of the imported ABS kits