Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th March 2006, 08:32   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

The rear light cluster looks great. Seems it gonna be priced from 7.31lac at Mumbai. The red one with teh scoops looks wow. The HU is a motorised dual face one?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 09:55   #92

Question

The website lists 'air extractor' as one of the new features in the 2006 Scorpio. These are some kind of slots between the D pillar & the side sliding windows. Anyone have any idea what these are for?
nsbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 10:49   #93
Senior - BHPian

I liked the New Scorpio a lot. The Rear end looks so much better and refreshing. The load of new features are very good too. Thumbs Up to Mahindra!
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 10:58   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Do u mean 43 new features??
Well, all 43 of them are certainly not new, quite a few are existing ones from what I can see......
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 13:01   #95
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default The proof of the pudding will be in the eating!

Mahindras right from the early Jeeps to the Scorpio CRDe had live Hotchkiss drive axles, where leaf springs provided lateral axle-location as well as suspension.

The shoddy design that the old Scorpio CRDe was, its combination of torquey engine, dead electronic power steering, rear drum brakes, and live Hotchkiss drive axle caused drunken elephantlike handling and many accidents. [review 1], [review 2]

A good suspension setup should ensure good ride quality without affecting handling and safety.

That being said, the objective of any multi-link suspension is to provide two conflicting characteristics, simultaneously:
1. High lateral stiffness (resistance to deflection due to side forces) for excellent handling
2. Reasonable longitudinal compliance, for improved ride quality with less NVH.

Incidentally, the traditional set-up of longitudinally-mounted front engine driving rear-wheels layout, in the Toyota Innova has a great rear suspension with four links and a lateral rod with coil springs. The dampers and rear coils are decoupled, allowing flexible packaging.

The elastokinematic characteristics are usually tuned up to minimise camber and track changes and correctly tune toe variations.

Scorpio's new coil-sprung rear-end

What toe variations?
The term SUV shouldn't be misused for anything without 4-wheel-drive.
That said, the Scorpio being a rear-drive station wagon, the central axis of elasticity at its rear axle should be positioned properly to toe-out under harsh acceleration and toe-in to improve stability when you let go the accelerator pedal.

Rubber-bushing based longitudinal compliance should take care of the ride quality.

Now that Lotus Engineering has done its bit and a couple of Scorpio prototypes have been tested at the Millbrook proving grounds, UK, let us see how the new rear coil-sprung machines sold from retail dealerships handle.

Last edited by Ram : 14th March 2006 at 13:14.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 13:03   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
@revv-that's good news; any 4wd options...? any idea whether the wheelbase has been lengthened as they say? tech specs?
Well have seen Scorpio CRDes (new look) running with 4wd badging and lockable hubs. So 4wd as option is available then i guess.

Features include bonnet scoops, grab rails, lengthened tai-lamps (aka CR-V), CD/MP3 player with USB ports (1st in India as OE fitment), mobile chargers and AC vents front and rear and some other trim changes.

Lengthened wheelbase is some time away.

As for pickup, don't expect it this year at least. Mahindra doesn't believe it stands much of a chance in the Indian market in 2006.

Revv

P.S. What is important is the next MUV from Mahindra. Project U is going to be "unbelievable" if I'm to believe what Mahindra R&D guys say.

P.S-2 And oh yes, the independent coil springs at the rear in the Scorp. Boy, can't wait to have a go at it!

Last edited by Revvmaster : 14th March 2006 at 13:05.
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 13:52   #97
BHPian

Guys, here are some of the new features that i took from their website (SLX model). with price to remain the same for the next six weeks, its going to be a very tough proposition to resist....

5-zone cushion suspension

Five independent links and a zero-friction spring soak up bumps to smoothen every road as you move along. Add to this the comfort of the independent front suspension and you’ll have others cars breaking into a sweat.

Collapsible steering column and side intrusion beams
In case of a frontal collision, the steering column crumples to avoid any further impact. Also rigid steel bars in the doors keep away surprises from the sides.

Crash protecting crumple zones and child locks

Crumple zones at key locations will absorb most of the impact in case of a collision. Child locks prevent accidental opening of doors when the vehicle’s on the move.

Air dams and mud flaps
The taper down air dams take care of splashing water and give the already aggressive front bumper a meaner streak.

Add on spoiler
Wraps around the roof edge for a distinct streamlined look; comes alive in a string of lights when you step on the brakes.

Air extractor
New styled IP and Console: Stunning to behold, the new IP and console makes controlling anything a breeze.

Bonnet scoop
Sporty and welcoming, it’s one of the most stunning intros the new Scorpio gives of itself.

Middle row sliding seats (only in 8 seater)
Make more space, get extra legroom, discover even more comfort just when you need it.

Centre armrests on 2nd row seats
First row seats have individual armrests. Middle row seats slide to give you more legroom. They even have a double armrest in the middle.

Tiltable steering
Adjust the steering to your convenience, according to your height or as per the way you sit when you drive.

And higher facing rear vents make sure even those in the last row stay cool.

ORVM manual remocon and swivel interior lamp

Tubeless tyres
To make sure you don’t have to halt your journey whatever the roads may have in mind.

New spaces for storage on centre bezel, IP and console
Find space to tuck away your knick-knacks everywhere inside the new Scorpio. There are bottle holders in doors, nooks for mobile phones (12V mobile charging slots), can/cup holders, a cavernous glove box, multi-utility bins and more.

Mobile charging facility for the front and middle row seats
Yes there are actually two of them - one for the front row and another for the middle. Lets you recharge on the move and drains the fight out of other cars.

Intelligent front wipers
The front wipers actually adjust their speed according to the intensity of the rain. It’s just what you could expect form the new Scorpio.

Rear wash and wipe
The rear spoiler comes with a nozzle spray to keep the rear wind shield clean.

Rear demister
Ultra thin copper strips in the rear wind shield heat up, at the touch of a button, to clear any fog that might build up.

Side step
These new footsteps are actually integrated into the body for added strength and extra stability.

Headlamp levelling switch and fuel lid opener
Headlamps glow several minutes after you lock up and leave; to light your path in the dark. Even the footboards light up so you never falter while getting in or out

Audio system with CD MP3 player, Pen Drive and SD Card compatibility
The Kenwood system plays cassettes, CDs or even MP3s. Tune in to your favourite channel on the radio. And enjoy all this in great 4 speaker surround sound.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 14th March 2006 at 13:55.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 15:05   #98
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to keep sounding like a broken gramaphone record guys but I wish they had plonked in ABS & EBD, that would have surely swung the tide their way; I mean, come on..........this is a SUV that I would trust my & my family's life in and given the braking responses at high speeds, why didn't they....... .....and airbags too if you really want to compare apples to apples vis a vis competition
Old 14th March 2006, 16:36   #99
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Sorry to keep sounding like a broken gramaphone record guys but I wish they had plonked in ABS & EBD, that would have surely swung the tide their way; I mean, come on..........this is a SUV that I would trust my & my family's life in and given the braking responses at high speeds, why didn't they....... .....and airbags too if you really want to compare apples to apples vis a vis competition
Sumanji, looking back at where we came from, I'm sure you'll agree that continuous refinements in Mahindra and Tata vehicles represent, an intrepid progressive India.

I am confident we will get there and more...

Plonking in Airbags, Antiblockiersystem or Electronic Brakeforce Distribution may not be beyond us. The digital electronics, control systems and embedded software are well within Indian capabilities. Our own engineers already do it for defence systems. I'm confident Mahindra will get there one step at a time.

But take heart.
1. An alert skilled driver without ABS using cadence braking (rapid pumping) or threshold braking (good judgement), can match or beat the typical driver with an ABS-equipped vehicle.
2. Then again, on loose gravel or on ice, an ABS-less fully locked wheel will stop the car faster than ABS!
3. Most automatic systems (ABS as well as automatic transmissions) are better than ordinary drivers but not as good as a very skilled manual driver.

Last edited by Ram : 14th March 2006 at 16:41.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 17:06   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
1. An alert skilled driver without ABS using cadence braking (rapid pumping) or threshold braking (good judgement), can match or beat the typical driver with an ABS-equipped vehicle.
2. Then again, on loose gravel or on ice, an ABS-less fully locked wheel will stop the car faster than ABS!
3. Most automatic systems (ABS as well as automatic transmissions) are better than ordinary drivers but not as good as a very skilled manual driver.
Thanks Ram, I'm aware of this......but that does not prevent us from taking the option if available. I'm confident of my abilities in handling emergency and other braking situations as not all cars I've used have ABS but, the way I see it, its always better having it.

And, in the light of what I've read & heard about from Scorpio owners, braking from high speeds is a nightmare (different from sedans where braking may not be such a nightmare). So, in my opinion.....essential at least as an option and would have been on my list of MUST HAVES if I was launching an improved version more than a year after the CRDe debut. But obviously, my priorities are different from M&M marketing so......
Old 14th March 2006, 17:25   #101
BHPian

Its best think MM have done
good work
triggercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 17:30   #102
BHPian

check their website....

www.mahindrascorpio.com
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 17:49   #103

When I logon to the website the flash intro plays and then just stops! Anyone facing the same problem?
xentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 17:55   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentric
When I logon to the website the flash intro plays and then just stops! Anyone facing the same problem?
The site is AWFULLY slow to navigate, maybe a lot of people logged in today....I had a hell of a time trying to download their brochure, would you believe its a 45 MB file that will just JAM your printer (and network if you are on one) if you try printing it.

Dunno if it will work but try hitting the button "Skip intro" so you go on to the main page, you will not be missing anything significant
Old 14th March 2006, 20:07   #105
Senior - BHPian

@RAM: er.. sir, the steering of the scorpio is hydraulically assisted, not electrically assisted (i'm assuming you meant electrical steering in the literal sense, not the metaphor). and as for the hotchkiss drive- if i'm not wrong, it's the prop. shaft design that incorporates universal joints at the g.box and diff. end, with the axle being suspended on leaf springs, right? i don't think that design is flawed in the primary; the qualis had almost the same design (i think), and it's handling was okay; mahindra just skewed the dynamics from the design stage itself, i guess...

one thing we both agree upon- SUV's, to the truest of the term, should have 4wd. let's hope mahindra gives us one.

but i do not agree with the ABS; SUV's, by their basic design, NEED ABS. and that's because unlike cars, they have a HUGE weight bias while braking, and the wheels tend to lock up much earlier (as you already know). the thing is, no amount of manual pulsing can compensate for the ABS in an SUV. i've had a few small incidents on my safari a couple of years ago, where no amount of expertise could prevent the wheels from locking.

and looking at that rear setup- i see a very distinct similarity to the safari's rear axle setup...gaah- forgive me; both have been designed by lotus, eh....
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote